The 14th Rule

by Rachel on September 28, 2010

I love, love, love nice beauty products but I also have a rule when it comes to them…

Nail polish is too pretty and tempting; you have to set rules for yourself when it comes to all the shiny, happy bottles winking at you.

My rule is that nail polish over $12 is a special occasion treat and must be treated as such. Therefore, it may only be purchased with bonus money (gift card, birthday cash, really good Easter egg, etc.).

Every season, I read about the hottest Chanel nail polishes. I might even stop by the counter and try one on to see if it’s worth lusting after. I know they are gorgeous and I know it takes a while for OPI to knock them off (and sometimes the knockoff just isn’t quite right). But even so…I still can’t bring myself to just fork over that much money for a bottle of nail polish.

But if it’s a gift? Well, then, that’s a different story.

I can count the number of times I’ve bought Chanel nail polish on one well-manicured hand and I’m OK with that.

A couple weeks ago, I bought another one. I had a gift card and I just went for it.

And honestly, Chanel Paradoxal might just be worth buying without a gift card. I’m actually considering buying it on the black market if it ever becomes unavailable.

Pictures of this do not even do it justice. It’s just the perfect fall color. I had a love affair with OPI “Over the Taupe” last year, and this just takes it to the next level as a perfect update. The shimmer is super, super subtle (believe me, I don’t do glitter) and the color is chic, grown-up, not too edgy (I’m so not edgy), and just right. I’ve been unable to convince myself to use any other color since I bought it. I need to get some more bonus money before this gorgeous polish is gone from stores — I want to stock up.

If you don’t have bonus money to blow on Paradoxal, then may I recommend Sephora by OPI in Studs & Stilettos?

This entire collection is really cool, but the other colors were a bit too edgy for me. This mahogany shade (which is a bit lighter and more red in person) is the perfect, “Yes I want to do dark, chic nails, but no, I cannot do bloodred and still keep my day job” color.

I wanted to buy all of it, but…we must set limits! Even the cheaper stuff is $9 a bottle — it can be an expensive habit! I try to stick to just one or two new bottles each season…but I always allow myself one more for really bad days, if buying that will keep me from buying a bunch of new clothes and crap at Target.

1 Dori September 28, 2010 at 8:48 am

I never buy nail polish because I always just use what they have at the nail salon (I cannot do my own nails, I just can’t. My money goes to manicures). That said — does Chanel nail polish last longer? What exactly makes it so much better?

2 Ashley September 28, 2010 at 8:49 am

I can never bring myself to spend big bucks on nail polish. Even the few OPI polishes I have seem to chip quickly (or maybe I’m just that flail-ly and rough).

Does the good stuff last longer?

3 Leah @ L4L September 28, 2010 at 8:51 am

I just can’t get into polish. I have a bunch already, mostly from high school still (eek!). I don’t paint my fingernails because I always smudge them and they chip faster than I can appreciate. Toes are usually done but not kept up regularly – only when open toes are going to be seen do I hurriedly apply a quick coat to cover up. But I have really nice fingernails. Maybe I should get into painting them…

4 C.J. September 28, 2010 at 9:07 am

I have a polish addiction. I’ve held out so far this season, but this post is making me want to go out and buy some new colors.

5 shelby @ eatdrinkrun September 28, 2010 at 9:07 am

I loooove that purple. The closest I’ve gotten to splurging on polish is the Sephora-OPI stuff. My problem is that I use it like twice and then get bored of it.

Mascara though? I will never, ever use cheap mascara. My rent may go unpaid, but my lashes will be coated in Dior!

6 Secondhand Smash September 28, 2010 at 9:14 am

I have a serious love for nail polish and the Target bender ALWAYS includes at least 1 bottle of polish. I haven’t tried anything more expensive than OPI, which actually isn’t my favorite. I love Rimmel 60 second polish from Target/Wal-Mart… $3-$4 and quick dry? Amazing. Plus the color is really rich. Maybe I’ll treat myself to a fancy polish soon, too!

7 Carolyn @ lovinlosing September 28, 2010 at 9:33 am

Unfortunately, I’ve started biting my nails again (I have noticed a correlation with bitting my nails and bad eating habits interestingly enough) so they aren’t really nail polish worthy. I always feel like nail polish on short nails make me look like a kindergartener playing dress up. But, then again, maybe some nail polish would keep me from biting them as much.

8 Tiffany (Stuffed with Fluff) September 28, 2010 at 9:35 am

I really need to learn how to properly apply nail polish. I have strong nails that hold polish long, but whenever I try to apply it myself, it looks horrible. I spend more money than I should on manicures.

Is the Chanel polish really high quality compared to OPI?

9 Bethany @ One Girl's Taste On Life September 28, 2010 at 9:54 am

OK, you need to try Sally Hansen’s Salon Perfect nail polishes. They have a really great formula and (dare I say it) last longer than OPI! I was VERY skeptical to try them as I’m a die hard OPI fan, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Bonus? They are often B1G1 free at Walgreens (I know, I work there…). Give it a go and let me know what you think!

10 Secondhand Smash September 28, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Agreed– that’s another great brand! Though have you found that the color comes off on some stuff? I had a dark purpley-black that would always come off on paper and things days after it dried…

11 Rachel September 28, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Oh sweet! Thanks for the tip!!

12 Lisa September 28, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Agreed! Plum Lucky is awesome. Dark purple and lasts crazy long. I’m scared about the chemicals that make it so amazing!

13 Brenda September 28, 2010 at 10:01 am

I’m addicted to OPI, but I only paint my toe nails. I live in Iowa, and for nine months out of the year, my feet are pasty-pale inside my shoes and socks, but nothing sez “summer” to me like painted toe nails and tan lines on my feet from wearing sandals. It started getting cold her over the weekend, and I’ve had to wear closed in shoes to work so far this week, and I already miss my summer feet. I also swear by my Ped-Egg and Burt’s Bees coconut foot cream. If you can get past the smell, that stuff works like magic—it makes your heels feel like baby skin.

14 Leah (Nutritionista) September 28, 2010 at 10:08 am

That Sephora color looks like one of my favorite Sally Hansen colors of all time: Pat on the Black! It’s part of the Salon Perfect line, and I HIGHLY recommend it! Sally does some pretty good knock-offs, too.

15 Secondhand Smash September 28, 2010 at 3:37 pm

That was my very first dark polish [same color and brand!] and it’s an amazing shade!

16 Rachel September 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Oh I like Pat on the Black!! But the Sephora color is definitely more of a reddish brown.

17 Stina September 28, 2010 at 11:29 am

“Although so much of the time I’m buying it while on a Target bender, and that’s part of the reason my trip in for a thank you card turned into an $87 receipt.”

Story of my life. The End.

18 Lorilea September 28, 2010 at 11:44 am

I almost never buy nail polish either – like seemingly everyone else, my nails chip like immediately. However, I love OPI You Don’t Know Jacques so much that I will repaint daily if necessary. It’s the perfect cocoa-grey-beige-cement. It’s similar to the Paradoxal but less purple. Although I might need that now.

19 Rachel September 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm

If you like that shade, check out OPI Over the Taupe!! I actually like it better!

20 Missy Maintains September 28, 2010 at 11:58 am

The Chanel color is really pretty! I don’t buy nail polish because I’d rather get my $20 manicure/pedicures once or twice a month. I also can’t sit still and let my nails dry at home!

21 Rachel September 28, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Mmm painting my nails is my total relaxation move!!

22 amanda September 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I am a huge fan of buying OPI at Sephora. I think the quality of nail polish shows when you compare it to the cheaper stuff like NYC, Sally’s, etc. It takes so much more coats to even get a nice color.

23 Retta @ RunRettaRun September 28, 2010 at 4:22 pm

The last bottle of polish I have is OPI in Aphrodite’s Nightie or something. I never buy polish anymore. It just never stays on me. Even manis. :(

24 Kendra September 28, 2010 at 5:31 pm

You’re so much classier than me. I nearly always wear China Glaze’s Ruby Pumps. It’s red, glittery, and makes me think of Christmas.

25 Rachel's Mom September 28, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Damn that “Tootsie Roll!”