Sweetener

by Rachel on September 28, 2010

This afternoon, taking a break from my work as That Girlfriend Who Cries All the Time and That Girlfriend Who Blogged About a Big Fight and Almost Didn’t Live Long Enough to See the Make-Up Sex, I decided to break tradition and catch up on wedding blogs on a Tuesday, not a Friday.

I want to see pretty things. I need to see happy couples.

While going through my Reader, I came across an engagement post on The Wedding Chicks that featured the engagement photos of a gay, interracial couple.

It was all I needed to become That Girlfriend Who Cries All the Time But Especially Enjoys Bursting Into Tears at the Hint of Anything Romantic.

I know, I know. I need to pull it together before I completely lose my edge. My 22-year-old self is giving me an “Are you f*cking kidding me?” face in old tequila pictures and letting me know that this emotional losing-your-shit behavior is thoroughly unacceptable. I remind her that she’s losing her shit too, albeit for a guy who is in no way, shape, or form worth it and Eric is…but still, she’s right. And I think with some time in the kitchen and a good night’s sleep, everything will be behind us.

Until that point, however, the next thing on my agenda is being That Girlfriend Who Makes Sure Problems are Good and Solved with Baked Goods.

I’m thinking cupcakes…but I’m open to whatever, as long as it’s kinda creamy and dreamy.

Any suggestions, dear friends?

1 erin m.@well-in-la September 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Get a girlfriend (you need more than one person for these bad boys!); buy the necessary booze and make Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes. They’re ridiculously awesome interpretation of a drink! http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/01/car-bomb-cupcakes/ (my post on making them is here: http://www.wellinla.com/2010/05/17/i-dont-usually-do-this-kind-of-thing/)

2 Rachel September 28, 2010 at 4:25 pm

These look intense! I’m not sure if I can handle it!

3 erin m.@well-in-la September 28, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I bake maybe 10 times a year… this was an entire night of work! Set a portion of extra ingredients aside to sip on as you work :) Well-worth it when the boy gave them two thumbs up!

4 sara September 28, 2010 at 4:20 pm
5 Rachel September 28, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Oh this is awesome!! Thank you!

6 Manon September 28, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Screw the cupcakes. Go for the Patron :)

7 Cassie September 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm

“And I think with some time in the kitchen and a good night’s sleep, everything will be behind us.”

You’re absolutely right. Cooking and sleeping are my two favorite ways to get past issues… I think it’s the a combination of letting something be for some time, and spending that time doing something beneficial to your mind and soul.

I’m a new reader, but I just have to tell you that I’ve gotten a lot of good advice and virtual support from your archived blog posts (as I’m coming out of a rather sudden and hard-hitting break-up). Thanks for sharing your writing.

8 Rachel September 28, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Thank you! It may be my emotions running high again, but it was REALLY nice to read that comment!

9 Carolyn @ lovinlosing September 28, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream. ‘Nuff said.

10 Veronica September 28, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I had a cocktail a while back that was vodka muddled w/ strawberries and basil and a splash of lemon. It was sooo good and I immediately thought it would make a killer dessert. I don’t have a recipe, but I’m thinking vanilla cake with fresh strawberries and a tiny bit of basil (maybe make a simple syrup and add the basil into that?), with a light lemon frosting.

Or, on my poor excuse for a blog I have a recipe for banana cupcakes w/ chocolate pb frosting. They are killer.

11 Dori September 28, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Commenting from my berry to say MAGNOLIA BANANA PUDDING. It is sooo easy (hey, I made it!) And so so so so amazing and everyone loves it. It is just. That. Good. I’m making it for LBD when he comes here.

12 Mel September 28, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Hi Rachel
Just wanted to say that although I always enjoy your strength and down to earth nature, its moments like these that I think make you so relatable to so many of us. I wanted to reaffirm that even though it sucks to feel like the “crazy girl”, these emotional rampages are just part of being a woman/person. LIFE CAN SUCK. Sometimes you just have to unleash.
I know you know that and I’m not saying its invalid to want to be like “F This, lets be happy”..I’m just saying.. no judgments here. You are doing it & doing it well.

My best friends and I like to bake with each other and while the mixer does it magic, we dance around to a “Cake Mixer Dance”.. maybe looney but you can try giving that one a whirl too haha

Can’t wait to see which recipe you choose.

13 Mel September 28, 2010 at 9:09 pm

ps. those engagement photos WERE realllly cute!

14 Elina (Healthy and Sane) September 28, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Yes, a cupcake is a must I think. I recommend a pumpkin one with cream cheese frosting. Totally bought pumpkin today just for that… now if only I could find time to bake some! :)

15 Kat September 29, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I made these blackberry cupcakes once for a party and they were a HUGE hit. The pureeing/straining is a hassle, but somehow it made me feel better to put a lot of work into it, and that I was making it from real fruit.
Hope things smooth over quickly! The cream cheese frosting will help! :D

16 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) September 30, 2010 at 9:07 am

oh man, cupcakes. what did you end up choosing??

17 Rachel September 30, 2010 at 11:07 am

Will share more details soon!