Honey, Honey

by Rachel on September 29, 2010

Seriously, it just doesn’t seem to be right eating a fruit the size of a newborn.

I’m tempted to buy one to carve and stick a candle in it a couple weeks.

Anyone else find this delicious fruit almost obscenely big?

1 Katie September 29, 2010 at 1:34 pm

agreed… and they come out to about $1 per apple at the least!

2 Rachel September 29, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Right?!? Even worse if you get organic.

3 angela September 29, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I’m doing the hcg diet right now and have to eat 2 apples a day. I was an apple hater! I LOVE the honeycrisp apples and the bigger the better! I can have one good sized apple. Can’t have 2 small ones instead. So I’m appreciative of the size of these babies.

I do think however that I saw some small honeycrisp apples at super target last week. This week they have the big ones. Don’t ask me how that works.

4 amanda September 29, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I have been getting smaller ones at my local farmer’s market.

5 Cynthia (It All Changes) September 29, 2010 at 2:58 pm

They are the best though. Such a good taste and make a great dessert!

6 Lori September 29, 2010 at 3:38 pm

The organic ones are smaller here in CO. But still medium sized.

Had my first one of the season. Luuuuuuuuuurve the honey crisp.

7 Heather September 29, 2010 at 3:48 pm

They’re huge! Like, the size of two fists! But amazing, nonetheless. Even if they do cost an arm and a leg and can double as medicine balls.

8 Summer September 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I have always wondered this as well! I remember one time, though, I did see a little crate of several Honeycrisp apples at Target—they were tiny.

9 Rachel September 29, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Saw some smaller ones at Target tonight! Target FINALLY got them…they are way behind!

10 Caitlin September 29, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I must be living on the wrong side of Texas because I can’t find these ANYWHERE!

11 Bridget@PavementandPlants September 29, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Caitlin, aren’t you in Austin? They have them at Central Market!

I think ALL apples have had some steroids pumped into them . I buy the ones that they call Lunchbox apples because they are normal sized.

12 Rachel September 29, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Definitely at Central Market!! First place I was able to find them here in TX, although now they are all over.

And I agree that all apples are outta control.

13 Cate September 29, 2010 at 5:10 pm

They are giant! But they are just so darn good!

14 highonhealthy September 29, 2010 at 9:35 pm

We don’t have honeycrisp apples around here so.. I wouldn’t mind having one the size of a newborn because it means I would at least get to try it. :)

15 Manon September 29, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I think I’m the only person in the blog world who hasn’t had a honeycrisp apple! I MUST search Des Moines for them ASAP as much as everyone raves about them!

16 Robyn September 29, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I loooooooooooooove honey crisp apples! Easily my favorite. Pink Lady apples are good, too. Both varieties are such a good balance between sweet and almost a little tart . . . Mmmm. :) I love to cut up apples and put them in salad. So tasty!

17 Rachel's Mom September 30, 2010 at 6:32 am

Just yesterday I was telling my students to try Honeycrisp apples if they could find them. Our theme this week in class is apples.

18 Bethany September 30, 2010 at 7:12 am

I totally agree.. a honeycrisp the size of a cute little macoun would be perfection!

19 Stacy October 26, 2010 at 7:49 pm

OMG. The weekend before you posted this, my in laws took my boys apple picking and they brought one of those bad boys home. I wouldn’t let them eat it because I was about to have a baby and wanted to compare the apple to the baby’s head. Baby girl was born on 9/30 and upon arriving home, we determined that the apple was indeed bigger than a newborn’s head.

20 Rachel October 26, 2010 at 7:54 pm

OMG…comment of the day. Also, congrats on the little one!!