New Month, New Goals: October

by Rachel on October 1, 2010

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…

Seriously, October rocks my world. I will honestly wake up in a good mood every day this month. I love everything about it and I’m looking forward to another fabulous 31 days of pure happiness. And the best part is, Eric and I are going to Michigan for Halloween! It’s hard for me not to be in Michigan this time of year, but knowing I get to spend the best weekend of the month at home, having a Halloween party with my family and relishing the fallen leaves and crisp air is just a great feeling.

I’ve already chosen my costume too. I actually decided back in, um, April. This year…I am going animal. Good thing Eric came along, because the costume is going to be a hell of a lot funnier with a partner! But we’ll discuss that later. In the meantime, let’s talk goals…

My September goals went really well, especially the part about shaping up my weekends. I don’t know why it’s so much easier for me to do things once I make them official goals, but it just makes all the difference for me. I was able to stop being ridiculous on the weekends, but still enjoy myself. Actually, I probably enjoyed myself more because I didn’t feel so lazy and full of sugar and junk food. My jeans that got a little snug (OK, a lot snug) around my birthday are now actually getting baggy, so that’s rather exciting!

Besides that, I did well with all my other goals and felt like I had a pretty good month!

Now, as Jay-Z says, it’s onto the next one…

1. Cook hard. For whatever reason, my cooking instinct just goes crazy this time of year, and I feel like I’ve become a much better cook and am excited to keep improving. So this month, I want to keep up that momentum, and really just make more delicious new meals that are less single-girl-living-alone and more woman-who-knows-her-way-around-the-kitchen. (And maybe I’m just feeling overconfident from the frosting success yesterday.)

On that note, I have some good news about my cooking skillz: I am a semi-finalist in a recipe contest! It’s the Aetna Healthy Food Fight Contest and in a week, I will cook my healthy chicken salad recipe before a panel of judges. If I wow them with my dried nectarines and my smile and beat out the 48 (not nine…oops) other contestans, I’ll go to California where I’ll compete with the other finalists from around the country in front of some guy, I don’t know if you’ve heard of him…Bobby Flay?

Right.

Like I said, I need to cook hard.

2. Stay on top of my professional goals. Same as last month, because there’s always more to be done. I’m hard at work with my agent trying to make the magic happen and I need to keep that up! That means putting time and effort into blogging, freelancing, hanging out on Twitter, and making sweet love to my laptop for hours on the weekends!

3. New Core Fusion Challenge. This month, I’m all about toning, and CF is the best way for me to do that. My goal is the same as it was the first time around: 40-60 minutes of CF, four times a week. I am currently obsessed with the new Core Fusion Cardio class on YogaVibes.com, so that will probably be my workout of choice twice a week, and we’ll just see what sounds best for the other days! I want to love how I look so much on Halloween, you’ll have to beg me to put my costume on because I’d rather just go as myself…naked.

That’s all I got!! Now, what are your goals for this, the most wonderful month of the year?

Remember, if you need help setting goals, I’m offering a discount on my most popular coaching package this weekend only!

HOLLER.

1 Dori October 1, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I’m glad you love October because I can’t stand it. Cold weather, Halloween, don’t like any of it! As for Core Fusion, please try to get at least one regular CF class in there in addition to Cardio — it makes all the difference, especially in the thighs and glutes!

2 Rachel October 1, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Oh I am definitely planning on it! Probably one classic and maybe one yoga!

3 Kendra October 1, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Good luck in the competition!

This month I really want to work hard at toning as well. I’m just starting to see a figure emerge and it’s really exciting. I also need to work on my arms alot. I mean, I’ve always wanted the ability to fly but this wasn’t what I had in mind for wings.

4 Manon October 1, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I looooooooooove October too. It’s so gorgeous in Iowa right now, I can’t stand to be inside!

Congrats on making it to the next round…..I’m sure you’ll wow them NO PROBLEM!

5 Erin October 1, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Are you going as a COUGAR?! Last year my (guy) friend and I found a safari hat at an army surplus store. He went as the cougar hunter in too-short khakis and a vest (where did he find this stuff?) and I was the cougar, complete with leopard-print bra and wrinkles. But this year I just might steal one of your old ideas!

6 Rachel October 1, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I am NOT going as a cougar but that is a GREAT idea!! I love it!

7 Monika @ ForeverImprovingGirl October 1, 2010 at 2:50 pm

“I don’t know why it’s so much easier for me to do things once I make them official goals, but it just makes all the difference for me. ”

Totally! I am absolutely goal-addicted (in a healthy and non-insane way…so I tell myself anyway). And on top of the above, I find that writing down my goals is not only insanely productive and perspective-shifting but embarrassingly fun.

Can’t wait to hear more about the Halloween costume! I’m currently pondering a few options, the most fun of which is ’80’s aerobic instructor.

8 Bess October 1, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Hi, finals for the cooking contest in California??? Please tell me it’s in the LA area! Cook up a delicious meal so that you can come out here!

9 Aj October 1, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Uh to echo Bess…I hope you’re coming to SoCal!!!

I am echoing your goal of toning. My goal is to do more than running WITHOUT sacrificing my running. Cuz I love it. (The fight we had last night notwithstanding.) I plan on snagging the Core Fusion DVDs from Bess and trying those. Plus doing more yoga since I love that too.

And staying sane as I enter my first full month of working two jobs, beginning the process for licensure for my career, and kicking the PR I’ve been training for in the BOOTY.

10 Cynthia (It All Changes) October 1, 2010 at 8:00 pm

You are totally rocking out your goals and you will rock Bobby’s socks off. He’s all about personality and you ooze it :-)

11 Smash October 2, 2010 at 11:33 am

The goals sound great and attainable. I need to become a beast in the kitchen, if only because it’s so expensive to dine out! Congrats on progressing in that recipe contest!! :)

12 Angela October 5, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I puffy heart love Bobby Flay. So excited for you!

13 Jul October 14, 2010 at 11:59 am

Um. Rachel? I have all the respect in the world for your work on Hollaback Health (and here). But… toning?

Toning?!

There is no such thing as toning.

14 Rachel October 16, 2010 at 10:15 am

Hey! I read over that article and I think it’s just a matter of a bad word choice (“crisps vs. potato chips”) because I’m pretty sure we are on the same page. When I say “toning,” I mean “gaining muscle and making it visible through strength training and proper nutrition.” I don’t mean “light weights at high reps.” Yes, I do Core Fusion, which is light weights at high reps, but I don’t choose that style because I think that that’s what I need to do to “tone.” To put on muscle, I need to strength train. CF is just my strength training routine of choice because I see the most results in my body with that and because I love it, so I’m more likely to stick with it than other forms of strength training. Does that make sense?