The Morning After

by Rachel on October 1, 2010

What happened last night?

Well…there was a good amount of beating just to get things started…

And then I played “just the tip”…

I laid it on pretty thick…

Then took it all off…

Eric got really excited toward the end…

Sorry I’m not sorry.

Seriously you guys…these cupcakes were the best cupcakes I have ever tasted in my entire life. I am not prone to hyperbole. Yes, I get really excited about everything, but I wouldn’t say this if it weren’t true. They were INSANE. I like gourmet cupcakes, but I have never loved anything from Magnolia as much as a good old-fashioned Duncan Hines cupcake from a box.

Until now.

Betty Crocker has gone down! I followed this recipe for white chocolate cupcakes and this recipe for the frosting and followed these directions for frosting them all fancy. The cupcakes had the super moist, springy texture of a boxed-mix cupcake, but just tasted better. And the frosting…oh my God. The white chocolate wasn’t overpowering and every bite was just perfect, buttercreamy goodness.

I’m not going to lie, the frosting was one of the hardest baking projects I’ve ever done and I was really intimidated about what was essentially a science experiment. I was armed with a candy thermometer and pound of butter (YUP) and by the end had frosting everywhere (including my hair, my foot, and up my leg when I knocked the extra frosting on the floor…and it was so fluffy that Eric helped me scoop off most of it since it hadn’t hit the floor…and even if it had, I wouldn’t have cared because it was so goddamn good). But even though I only was able to make five cupcakes look pretty and I had to do about four rounds of dishes to make this meal happen…I will do it again before too long because the effect was mind-blowing.

Eric got some good news yesterday and we were feeling celebratory, so I bought champagne to have with the cupcakes and the homemade mac and cheese (try not to pee your pants — I’ll post the recipe tomorrow).

I was anticipating a major food hangover, but none of the food was too rich or sugary, and I was able to (somehow?) practice self-control and only have one serving of mac and cheese and one cupcake. We actually felt so great after dinner that we headed to Memorial Park and went for a really nice three-mile walk.

I’d say this was officially one of the top five meals of my life. The gorgeous weather in Houston this week, the fact that we survived such a brutal fight, the good news yesterday, and the fact that it was the eve of my favorite month of the year….it was all just too good.

October is starting off so right!

1 betsy October 1, 2010 at 8:51 am

Great, now I’m craving cupcake sex.

2 Manon October 1, 2010 at 9:07 am

Haha…same here :)

3 MelissaNibbles October 1, 2010 at 8:55 am

This post was both hilarious and sweet. Glad you had such a fun night!

4 The Daily Smash October 1, 2010 at 8:55 am

OMG the first part of your entry had me rollin’. LOVE IT. Glad the cupcakes turned out amazing. Congrats to Eric on the good news he got! :)

5 maria @ Chasing the Now October 1, 2010 at 9:03 am

Now I’m craving cupcakes–and good ones, too, damnit! You had me cracking up with the beginning of this post.

Might have to cave to this baking desire soon… I’ll just send the ones we don’t eat to school with my husband.

6 Dori October 1, 2010 at 9:11 am

You look SO gorgeous, first of all. Your eyelashes are insane!

The cupcakes look amazing and sound mouth watering. I want one so badly! I just had a delicious rainbow cookie so that will hold me over for now. Can’t wait to hear more about the mac & cheese. I am SO happy things worked out so well for you and Eric — sounds like the cupcakes were just what you both needed.

7 Therese October 1, 2010 at 9:20 am

Just the tip…just for a second…just to see how it feels :)

I would say your October is of to a damn good start!! I mean having self control around champagne, cupcakes, and mac and cheese??? Unheard of…(well for me at least)

8 Eli October 1, 2010 at 9:21 am

you are hilarious! :) love it.

9 amanda October 1, 2010 at 9:30 am

I had been drooling over this since I saw the preview pics on Twitter last night. I give you props for taking the time to make these homemade cupcakes. I am so lazy when it comes to baking. My husband actually does a better job at that than me ……ohh and makes a way better breakfast too! BTW, I would like to comment on the butter….nothing makes things taste better than a pound of butter. Unless it was a deep fried cupcake…might want to enter that into the Texas State fair. lol

10 Tiffany (Stuffed with Fluff) October 1, 2010 at 9:33 am

amazing. I feel like I haven’t fully lived life yet b/c I haven’t had those amazing cupcakes.

11 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 1, 2010 at 9:46 am

This post was hilarious!

Congrats to Eric for whatever good news he got. And good for you for having some self control — I have none when it comes to mac and cheese and cupcakes.

12 Stephanie @ Single in the City October 1, 2010 at 9:58 am

Mac ‘n cheese is probably my favorite thing in the world! Round it out with a great homemade cupcake with mile-high icing – SHUT THE DOOR!!!

13 Keri @ Iron Mountain Movement October 1, 2010 at 9:59 am

Too funny! Look forward to your recipe for Mac and Cheese. Have a great weekend.

14 Retta @ RunRettaRun October 1, 2010 at 10:48 am

Sounds like the most faboosh night! Love the food sex lol! I should have more of that! ;)

15 angela October 1, 2010 at 10:51 am

Hilarious!

Those cupcakes look BEAUTIFUL! I’m going to have to put that recipe aside in case I need it. ;)

16 Trinidad Pena October 1, 2010 at 12:15 pm

It’s my mission to learn to bake this winter. Have you discovered this site? http://mingmakescupcakes.yolasite.com/ so many cupcake recipes!

I going to try your recipe as well as some of these. AND um… ramp up my workout plan!

17 Alyson @ Your Nourished Life Blog October 1, 2010 at 12:28 pm

lol.. love it.. and I am seriously impressed by the 1 cupcake triumph.. white chocolate (especially with mint for the holidays) is one of my favorites!

18 PoP October 1, 2010 at 1:12 pm

GIRL you a bad bad bad! and i love it ;) I really lost it by the picture of the icing on the floor considering the comment :P U brighten my day, make me laugh out loud, and yo u are just a cheeky minx all round!
Keep it up :)

19 Kaitlin With Honey October 1, 2010 at 6:36 pm

This post made me laugh so hard! You are very skilled with innuendo. :)

20 Cynthia (It All Changes) October 1, 2010 at 10:43 pm

The double entendre was hilarious. And they look amazing! Sounds like a perfect celebration.

21 sbg October 2, 2010 at 1:22 am

OMG hahahaha!

22 Angela October 5, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Cute post. :D Those do look amazing – cupcakes make me happy!!

23 Cynthia February 26, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Oh my gosh. I decided to make these cupcakes tonight and the frosting seriously was so hard. I somehow missed that in your blog post and was overwhelmed by all that I had to do. I might have cried if it had fallen on the floor. But wow, freaking delicious. Thanks for recommending this recipe!