Lesson #31: Music Sharing for Broke-Ass Hoes

by Rachel on October 8, 2010

You guys know I love music and I’m always on the lookout for new tunes, but I also can’t afford to buy every new song that people recommend. That’s why my musically-inclined friends and I tend to e-mail each other new song obsessions on a regular basis.

But it’s kind of a pain in the ass to e-mail songs all the time, especially if you want to send a lot of music, or whole albums. So that’s why I recommend using Dropbox!

I use Dropbox for many things — mainly to upload important files that I want on both my desktop and my laptop so I’m not constantly e-mailing myself — but music is a great choice. Once you create an account, you can set it up so you have a Dropbox application on your hard drive and don’t have to access it via the web (although you still can, which is very helpful). Then you can just drag and drop the files into your Dropbox folder and it will automatically upload them to the web…and to any other computers that are linked with the same account.

So to share music with my friends, I just made a Dropbox account for that reason and gave the login info to my favorite wannabe DJs (Bess and Dori). They downloaded Dropbox on their computers with the login info I gave them. Now all our computers are linked and we each have a folder where we can put our best new tunes!

It’s such a good way to discover new music and share with other musically-inclined friends. I’ve been rocking out all month to songs I never would have known about otherwise.

Here’s a little sampling of my current favorites (from a very long list!), via our Dropbox:

Sexy Silk (Jessica Cornish)

Lord Lord Lord (Kanye West)

Home (Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros)

Hard to Concentrate (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

The Walls Are Coming Down (Fanfarlo)

Let in Love (Caitlin Krisko & The Broadcast)

When I’m Alone (Lissie)

When Life Gives Me Lemons I Make Lemonade (The Boy Least Likely To)

Go forth and share the good tunes!

1 Katie October 8, 2010 at 8:44 am

Yes!! Thank you for this, I have guilt about not purchasing but I’m fine with sharing with friends. And I’m broke. PS- Hard to Concentrate is one of my all time favorites.

2 Elisabeth October 8, 2010 at 9:46 am

This is basically the best idea ever. I need some music-loving friends.

3 Gillian Young October 8, 2010 at 10:22 am

I need some new tunes- thank you! Just read your blog re:Marie Claire drama and wanted to be best friends with you. Very happy to have stumbled across your blog and to have found such a strong voice. Keep up the good work- I’ll be checking in!

4 Rachael October 8, 2010 at 10:47 am

That “Home” song from Edward Sharpe is currently my favorite happy song. It’s not something I would typically download (hello … there’s a banjo and not a “drop it low” for miles) but I found it through this awesome little internet radio site called Stereomood.com

5 Rachel October 8, 2010 at 11:28 am

I LOVE that song! It was actually from Dori’s brother’s wedding — how cute is that!?

6 elaine! October 8, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Er… is that legal? ^^;

7 Kendra October 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Legal is overrated.

8 Aby @ always.aby October 8, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I agree, legal is way overrated.

Technically, sharing or passing along music in any way is illegal. (Remember making cassette tape copies of CD’s for your friends? Naughty, naughty!) Depending on where you are though, it might actually be legal to download music for free, but not upload it (silly Canadians).

That being said, I’m definitely a broke-ass hoe, and I happily accept burned CD’s and tracks through my Dropbox.

9 elaine! October 8, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Maybe, but I don’t know about posting about it publicly. Remember the mom who got sued for almost $2 million for 24 songs on Kazaa? Yowza!

10 Aj October 8, 2010 at 3:00 pm

This is basically going to revolutionize my life.

Bess, Dori, Rachel….I have some pretty spectacular music, can I get in?

11 Emma October 8, 2010 at 5:09 pm

LOVE Hard to Concentrate. Adam burned those CDs for me when we first started dating, so not only do I like the song, I get off on the nostalgia!

12 tish October 8, 2010 at 6:44 pm

omg! are you referring to a “cloud”?! those magical things they keep mentioning on npr…those things that google and others are currently trying to figure out so that copyright laws and other hogwash can still be protected?

hmmm i need me one of those.

13 Bess October 8, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Dropbox has fundamentally altered the course of my life.

Please upload some new songs Rach… I am getting the shakes and need my music fix!

14 BrookeNotADiet October 11, 2010 at 10:46 am

Home is quite frankly one of my favorite songs ever.

Probably because it’s the first song B-Fry ever played for me and it has magically become “our song.”

Cheesy? Yes….Adorable? Totally. :)