Hump Day Trick or Treat: Stoned Trail Mix

by Rachel on October 13, 2010

I feel like I’ve checked out on Halloween this year, but it’s totally not the same here in Houston!

Going into Hob Lob and seeing all the fall decorations sort of feels like going into the Hard Rock Cafe in Rome and seeing chicken fingers. Like, you welcome it as a sign from home, but it’s really just a sad reminder of a far away land and a thing you used to do. It’s not real.

However, I realize it’s real for most of you (and it will be real for me on the big weekend!) so I thought I’d share some of my best Halloween goodies from this time last year, when I was ass-deep in orange leaves and canned pumpkin.

Candy is Dandy — My best tips for getting your hands out of the “fun-sized” candy bowl and still enjoying enough treats to feel satisfied.

What Your Halloween Costume Says About You — This is an original from my Spartanette blog and I look forward to getting it out every year, much like my favorite sweaters. Yeah, we’re all going to be naughty something, but what kind of naughty you choose tells us a lot. Last year I was a naughty food item. File that under “u” for “unf*ckingsurprising.”

My Family’s Approach to Halloween — If you haven’t seen the way my mother makes Halloween costumes yet, behold the magic. She is a genius. Rumor has it, Eric’s costume this year will have working lights. Mine is just going to have the cutest tail ever.

Pick Your Poison Punch — You must drink this on Halloween! Or any time really. This recipe totally got me through the time I wore a super-slutty stewardess costume to what was not exactly (actually at all) a costume party.

Press Play: TREATS — Some candy tunes for you!

And finally, one of my favorite fall treat recipes is making its triumphant return after my best friend reminded me as soon as the temperatures dropped in the Midwest.

This was just the reminder I needed! Last year, I made this (indeed sensational) trail mix and loved it so much, I made an extra batch. Then I put it in empty jars, tied it up with a cute Halloween ribbon, and sent it off to all my friends.

To make the amazing recipe of which she speaks, you just need four things.

As you can see, we have some dried chopped dates, candy corn, Hershey’s dark chocolate chips, and peanuts.

And don’t even get all, “But, Rachel, I hate candy corn!” Um, pretty much everyone hates candy corn. In this case, you will probably like it.

Just combine the ingredients until you have a pretty equal mix of all the flavors and then let the feeding frenzy begin!

You don’t even have to be stoned to love it. It tastes just like a Snickers bar but is a pretty healthy — and seasonal! — little snack.

I will warn you though — it’s addictive. Probably more addictive than pot.

I already feel more in the Halloween mood!

1 Heather October 13, 2010 at 11:11 am

I would never say I hate candy corn! It’s actually one of my favorites, which, I know, is disgusting. Something about triangle of solid sugar just calls my name. And don’t get me started on the pumpkins that come in the Brach’s autumn mix. OK, I need to stop salivating on my keyboard. BUT! The point is that this trail mix sounds AWESOME, and I just might have to make some.

2 Angela @ A Healthy Fit October 13, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I LOVE Halloween! I am working on our costumes, which are going to be epic.

Not going to lie. I love candy corn. Just bought some yesterday. Last year my mom told me to try peanuts and candy corn. So good! Can’t wait to try this mix!

3 Robyn October 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I might actually have to try this . . . I won’t touch candy corn. It’s against my religion. Okay, not really, but it’s pretty nasty to me. My boyfriend so doesn’t understand it — he is a die-hard candy corn lover and thinks I’m missing part of my genetic code or something. But something about this makes me a bit curious . . . and if all else fails, more for him, right?

4 Smash @ Appreciate The Now October 13, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Yum! Some seasoned pumpkin seeds might be a good [seasonal] addition to it, too.

5 Rachel October 13, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Oh GOOD CALL! That sounds great!

6 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write October 13, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Is it called that because even if you’re stoned, you could still manage to put something that simple together? Either way, I like it. :p

7 Rachel October 13, 2010 at 2:59 pm

So funny…I was just snacking on candy corn with dark chocolate chips RIGHT before I read this post…it really is a good combo! hahaa

Love this post…now you are indeed in the Halloween spirit : )

8 Tiffany (Stuffed with Fluff) October 13, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Am I alone in loving candy corn? I’ll have to give this a try, sans the peanuts. Wondering what I could replace them with?

9 Rachel October 13, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Try pumpkin seeds! That is the best suggestion above!!

10 B. October 13, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Whoo hoo!! I’m tellin’ you guys… That stuff is unbelievably delicious. There is nothing like it on this planet. NO-THING. And Rach? Since I’m kinda lazy and well, stoned, could you just send me a big ole baggie of it like you did last year so I don’t have to do it? Thatdbegreatthankousomuclylas.

11 Rachel October 13, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Literal LOL — yes.

12 Melnyc October 13, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Hi Rachel! I’ve been been quietly reading your awesome blog for a while now (found it through my dear friend dori and missy!). I felt that since you provided my dinner and dessert I had to comment. I made your healthy mac and cheese (love!) and then I had to make a 2nd grocery store run just to make your halloween trail mix – so delicious. Thanks for both the recipes! (and last week’s deep dish pizza, great but I must say remembering to grease the pan is keyyy- I forgot and had to scrape mine out). I love to cook and it’s great to find tasty new ideas. PS: I also thought you’d appreciate that my non-blog reading friends think your videos are hilarious, they often request the website for the girl who talked about mcdonald’s and hooking up.

13 Rachel's Mom October 13, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I bought candy corn on sale last weekend at Target so we could make this mix for the party!

14 Selina October 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Ok, so I had to try this with Indian Corn rather than candy corn because, for some reason, I just don’t like actual candy corn. I know, sounds odd since the only difference between the two is the color of the bottom layer. I think my mind thinks its chocolate and that’s reason enough right there!

Anyway, I made this this morning and OMGGGG it is sooooo good! I plan to share so that I don’t have to eat it all myself!

15 Rachel October 14, 2010 at 12:28 pm

@Selina — I am so glad you made it!! Also, when I was buying supplies to make mine, Eric was like, “Are you sure you don’t want Indian candy corn?” and I definitely debated it.