Lesson #36: How to Make Pumpkin Chili Without Any Clothes On

by Rachel on October 14, 2010

All right, so after the little laundry mishap yesterday afternoon, I realized it was time for me to start dinner. My mom had mailed me a recipe for pumpkin chili that I was pretty pumped about and I was all sorts of ready to get it simmering.

Then I realized, Oh, maybe I shouldn’t be making chili while naked.

And then I realized — HELLO, Rachel! Just put an APRON on and everything will be OK.

What can I say? I’m a problem solver.

I have to say, this was my first time cooking naked, but I highly recommend it. I know cooking in nothing but an apron seems like some fantasy thing you’d do in heels for a guy, but really, last night, it was more of a hippie thing. When it’s a consequence of laundry day, just do it barefoot and have fun.

Anyway, once I solved that problem, I got down to the business of my pumpkin chili!

1 cup pumpkin

1 pound lean ground beef

1 can low-sodium red kidney beans

1 medium onion, diced

2 cans no-salt added diced tomatoes

1 tbsp chili powder

1/8 tsp crushed red pepper

1/2 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

1 bay leaf

How We Do

Brown the beef with the onions in a large, nonstick pan. (I gave the beef a healthy dusting with Tony’s seasoning for some extra flavor.) Then add everything else, turn the heat to low, and let it simmer for 1-2 hours.

While it’s simmering, I highly recommend finishing your laundry and getting dressed. I’m not sure yet where I stand on eating in the nude.

About fifteen minutes before I wanted to eat, I sauteed some green beans in butter, scooped out some tortilla chips, fished the bay leaf out of the chili, and served myself dinner!

We have a winner!

OK I love chili a lot, and I wasn’t sure what to expect from this recipe…but I really, really liked it! It doesn’t taste like pumpkin. Even though it’s still chunky, the pumpkin really just gives it a nice thick and sort of smooth texture (and Vitamin A!) but I probably wouldn’t know it had pumpkin in it if I didn’t know. It was also the perfect amount of spicy…enough that I didn’t feel like I was just eating soup, but not so much that I couldn’t share it with certain people in my life who may consider pico de gallo the hottest salsa they can handle.

Chili is one of my favorite things to make and eat because it’s cheap, easy, and healthy, and this might actually become my go-to recipe. I’m definitely going to give it a try in the Crock-Pot soon too.

You know how “naked burrito” means a burrito without a tortilla? Well when we refer to this recipe as “naked chili,” we’ll know that the chili had all its parts — it’s the chef who was missing a garment or two.

So take your clothes off, put your apron on, and give it a try!

1 Dori October 14, 2010 at 8:24 am

That picture of you is REALLY hot with the side boob action going on.

2 Katie October 14, 2010 at 8:33 am

Haha I was also going to comment on the SB action. Cooking naked while living at home is just something that should NOT happen though.

3 Rachel October 14, 2010 at 8:39 am

I think SB is the new cleavage!

4 Summer October 14, 2010 at 11:52 am

The side boob is made all the more hot by the tattoo peeking out! I still love that. Can we also please call attention to exactly WHAT apron it is that you’re wearing?!?

5 Rachel October 14, 2010 at 12:26 pm

It’s the apron I got on Sunday at the cooking contest! It was the biggest/provided the most coverage. That’s something you really have to consider when you’re cooking naked. You don’t want any nip slips!!

6 Dori October 14, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I didn’t even notice the tat until everyone else commented!

7 taryn October 14, 2010 at 8:31 am

so timely! i just told (i dare not call him my boyfriend so i’ll go with) the guy i’m screwing that i would make him breakfast this weekend in nothing but an apron & pumps. i really have to be careful while flipping those pancakes. hot batter on the skin would not be cool.

lookin’ good rachel!

8 Rachel October 14, 2010 at 8:40 am

Thanks! And literal LOL at “so I’ll go with the guy I’m screwing.”

9 Smash @ Appreciate The Now October 14, 2010 at 8:33 am

Yum — for both the chili and for you in only an apron! ;)

10 Kim October 14, 2010 at 8:44 am

Your face in this pic is hilarious. And I am totally making this chili this weekend.

11 Manon October 14, 2010 at 8:45 am

I never thought chili could be so sexy! Both you and the chili look delish!

12 Matt October 14, 2010 at 9:28 am

LOL. I had no idea what to think when I saw the title of this post…

Great job ;)

13 erin m. @wellinla October 14, 2010 at 10:26 am

Too funny… LOATHE doing laundry. I’ve bought clothes to avoid one more day of it. Pathetic. Really excited to make your pumpkin chili!

14 Rachel October 14, 2010 at 10:53 am

hahahahhaa you are awesome! The chili looks delicious too. I love pumpkin so damn much, so I may as well throw it on into my chili as well. I think I will have to try this recipe! Might sub turkey for beef though : ) Looks phenomenal!

15 Robyn October 14, 2010 at 11:05 am

Way to make lemonade out of lemons, Rachel! Literal LOL. This gives me another reason to buy an apron.

16 Lauren at KeepItSweet October 14, 2010 at 12:03 pm

hahahaha now that would make my husband’s day lol

17 Trinidad Pena October 14, 2010 at 12:51 pm

This looks delish! Some things happen to only you! Luv it!

18 Elise October 14, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I LOVE YOUR TATTOO. I have a text tattoo in the same spot. Seeing just the hint of yours and noticing how unbelievably sexy that is makes me hope that people have the same reaction towards mine!

19 Rachel October 14, 2010 at 5:12 pm

It’s THE best spot for a tattoo as far as I’m concerned!!

20 Jennifer October 14, 2010 at 2:02 pm

At my house this very moment, a crockpot full of chili is simmering away. It includes every ingredient you listed, except no pumpkin and I used the tomatoes with zesty chiles. I have pumpkin in my cupboard. Think I could just throw a scoop in and let it cook in for about an hour before serving?? What do you think??

21 Rachel October 14, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I think you definitely could!! Chili is definitely an “all in” recipe…my mom used to put V8 juice in it when I was younger. I think the pumpkin would be fine!

22 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write October 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Oooooh! Check out that tatt! Rachel, you are really crazy. Please do more crazy things. You’re young enough and awesome enough to get away with it. :D Love you!

23 Selina October 14, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Not to veer from the subject, but have you posted about your tatt? What does it say?

As for chili, I can’t wait until its a little cooler here to really enjoy a good bowl of chili….with pumpkin included. Thanks for the great looking recipes! :)

24 Rachel October 14, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Definitely try it! I mean, who cares if it’s cool enough to make it yet!? THAT’S WHY YOU DON’T WEAR ANY CLOTHES, SELINA!

Re: tatt. I have indeed posted about it before!

I got it on New Year’s Eve. It says “valetudo venustas voluptas.”

Valetudo: health, good health. Venustas: loveliness, charm, beauty. Voluptas: passion, pleasure, delight, satisfaction.

25 Jessica October 14, 2010 at 2:27 pm

You are my hero.

26 Gules October 14, 2010 at 2:35 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!!! Looking quite hot sans clothes avec apron! I think I would be spilling out all over the place and probably have a good chance of burning my jiggly bits to try that, so I commend you for doing it. Oh yeah…recipe looks good too!.

27 Aj October 14, 2010 at 2:55 pm

MAD PROPS for that photo! Definitely sexy…love the tat! I love cooking nekky…and not just because it’s hot as balls in our kitchen. You do need some safety precaution. Apron is a good idea. Pasties work too. :)

28 Sarah (Syrup & Honey) October 14, 2010 at 3:36 pm

You are so kickass.

29 Kendra October 14, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I love doing pretty much anything naked so I’m looking forward to having my own kitchen and cooking naked too. LOVE the tattoo!

30 zenlizzie October 14, 2010 at 6:37 pm

When I saw this title in my google reader, I was thinking that “cooking naked” would be more metaphorically. Or that you would be alluding to it. And then I saw your side boob and I lol’ed!

I made some pumpkin black bean soup today. It didn’t really taste like pumpkin either.

31 Rachel October 14, 2010 at 9:08 pm

HA — I think we’re past euphemisms on this blog, ya know??

32 Caitlin October 14, 2010 at 7:09 pm

As if we needed another reason you rock our faces off.

33 Rachel's Mom October 14, 2010 at 9:02 pm

“but not so much that I couldn’t share it with certain people in my life who may consider pico de gallo the hottest salsa they can handle.”

Uh huh…I know exactly who this line was aimed at! I do agree that you don’t even know the pumpkin is in it. It just gives it a nice smooth texture. And, I DID think it was a little spicy!

I want to add that the recipie came from the MSU extension, so it really could be called “Alumni Chili” or something like that.

34 Rachel October 14, 2010 at 9:05 pm

It was aimed at you AND Eric!

I meant to call it “alumni chili” until I lost all my clothes. Then again, that makes it even MORE MSU alum chili…

35 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) October 14, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I love your mom.

36 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) October 14, 2010 at 9:38 pm

AMAZING!! Side boob and chili. Eric is one lucky mofo.

ps. I have a tat in the same spot. Now I have a new way of showing it off!

37 Dean October 15, 2010 at 7:57 am

I do some of my best cooking naked. From Baked Ziti to whatever else…

38 Jessica October 15, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Man, someday I will HAVE to try that. The boyfriend might just jump for joy. HOT!

recipe sounds good too!

39 Pantea November 4, 2010 at 1:43 am

This was a great recipe, thank you! I also added some roasted corn and chipotle chili pepper. It came out nice and spicy, just the way I like it. Wonderful blog!

40 Pantea November 4, 2010 at 1:44 am

Also, I hope you don’t mind that I linked to this blog post for the chili recipe!

41 Rachel November 4, 2010 at 8:02 am

Definitely don’t mind! I’m glad you made it!!

42 Steph @ Cookin' Cowgirl.com July 15, 2011 at 10:48 am

haha this is awesome!! :)
And this looks amazing! I love pumpkin!

I’m having my first linky party on my blog and the theme is pumpkin. I’d like to invite you to come link up your favorite pumpkin recipe. The link is open until Wednesday at midnight, so please stop by and say hi.

~Cookin’ Cowgirl