Lessons from an October Weekend

by Rachel on October 18, 2010

Lesson #38: You can get out of getting up at 4 AM to watch your boyfriend’s triathlon if you offer to stay home because somebody’s gotta make a post-tri breakfast, right?!

Lesson #39: When your boyfriend wants to carbo load the night before said triathlon with pesto pizza and Whole Foods can’t make it because they are um, out of dough, you can improvise with a ready-to-cook cheese pizza, dressed up with a little jarred pesto and a chopped chicken breast from the salad bar.

Lesson #40: If the triathlete requests banana bread but actually doesn’t have an electric mixer, you can get creative and make it in the blender.

Because seriously, not having beaters isn’t going to keep a girl like you from putting a loaf of healthy peanut butter banana bread on the table.

(Along with a fabulous strata.)

Lesson #41: If you need any baking supplies, just know that Hob Lob is closed on Sundays “to allow employees time to worship.” You better go to Michael’s, which clearly caters to those who want supplies for their pagan voodoo rituals. I mean, why else would they be open on the Lord’s day?

Lesson #42: If you’re remembering a time back in July when you said that maybe you shouldn’t move to Texas until the first of November, because you really aren’t sure if you can give up your favorite month of the year in Michigan, just remember how to cure homesickness. And then, even if it’s 84 degrees outside, put on your fall apron (over your pumpkin boxers) and get busy baking with some seasonal flavors.

Seriously. Make a butternut squash pizza. That should cheer you up.

But if it doesn’t, make some mini-loaves of spiced pumpkin bread.

Lesson #43: Do not begin “good times to get married” conversations with your boyfriend while he’s watching football.

I learned a lot this weekend!

Now time to get back to real life — happy Monday!

1 Smash @ Appreciate The Now October 18, 2010 at 8:32 am

Ahhh, my boyfriend just LOVES when I bring up marriage… usually after a Say Yes To The Dress bender. :) Have you started watching it on instant Netflix yet?

2 Rachel October 18, 2010 at 8:33 am

I haven’t needed to yet — I got a really good fix on TV Friday afternoon!!

3 Summer October 18, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Ugh…I’m totally guilty of SYTTD marathons. I get all…swoony looking at all the dresses. Have you seen Say Yes…Big Bliss yet? Gah, what a MESS.

4 Kristen October 18, 2010 at 9:03 am

Ok, you need to tell me where you got those mini loaf pans! I’ve been searching for some bright mini loaf pans for months and cannot find anything!

5 Rachel October 18, 2010 at 9:45 am

MICHAEL’S!! Seriously, they came through, so F Hob Lob and their religious nonsense. They had them in orange, brown, yellow, green, maroon and black for $1 each. Finding them was seriously the highlight of my weekend.

6 Lori October 18, 2010 at 9:20 am

1. re: Hob Lob. What if my form of worship is wandering through that store? Cuz, seriously, I could spend hours there. On Sundays.
2. My man *hates* it when I start conversations just as he’s drifting off into space. Nothing worse than being jerked awake by, “Honey? Do you think God exists?”

7 MelissaNibbles October 18, 2010 at 9:29 am

You’ve been creating a storm in the kitchen lately! I love all these ideas. Have a great week Rachel!

8 Rachel October 18, 2010 at 9:43 am

You have no idea. I haven’t even been worried about working out…working multiple pans is exhausting. And all the dishes?! Crazy.

You have a great week too!

9 Lauren at KeepItSweet October 18, 2010 at 9:35 am

LOL peanut butter banana bread sounds fantastic!

10 Angie October 18, 2010 at 11:56 am

Hey Rachel! I always read about you doing core fusion – what videos do you use? Or do you go to a class?

11 Rachel October 18, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Hey! So I used to only do the DVDs and wrote a really long post about which are my favorites and why…

But now I actually use YogaVibes.com! You can stream the actual classes and it’s awesome. I am seriously hooked. My favorite is Core Fusion Cardio but it’s hard so I do that twice a week and then a DVD or classic full-length class twice a week.

If you do YV, you can get a 20% discount with the code shedding20 BTW!

12 Devon October 18, 2010 at 9:43 am

Blender as a mixer… How creative! I’d never thought of that. Your strata looks delectible!

13 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write October 18, 2010 at 10:02 am

Oh yes, number 43 is key. Do not talk about ANYTHING with boyfriend or husband while football is on. They won’t remember it, anyway.

I love the comment about Hobby Lobby. My EX-hubs and I used to get so annoyed that they were closed on Sundays lol. We’d always joke about Michael’s being Jewish or something lol.

14 ashleigh October 18, 2010 at 10:54 am

Um everything looks AMAZING! You sure can cook and bake.. Eric is a lucky one :)

15 Nina October 18, 2010 at 11:01 am

That peanut butter banana bread sounds DELICIOUS!

16 Holly October 18, 2010 at 11:37 am

… You could just mix banana bread batter with a spoon/scraper… Works like a charm for me every time. :) KitchenAid? Who needs one?

17 Desiree October 18, 2010 at 11:57 am

just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a blog award on my blog!

Check out the post here!

Have a great day!

-Desiree
The Frugalista Fatshionista

18 Summer October 18, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Ha! I feel like Eric on this one—BF better not come up into my SEC game asking me about his new suit pants.

19 genesis October 18, 2010 at 12:36 pm

you should try changing the channel to WETV when bridezillas or some wedding crap is on during commercial breaks or time outs…that gets their attention real quick.

i saw those pans in the michaels flyers this weekend!

20 Retta @ RunRettaRun October 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I’m not down w/ HL b/c they are never open when I want them to be. SUCKAS. Michael’s fo’ sho’. You’re such a good GF to make all those yummy dishes. :) The Lover would be jealous. ;)

21 joanne October 18, 2010 at 2:35 pm

OMG! I need those mini-loaf pans right now! I’m sort of in love with mini everything. But those especially, I need those.

22 Manon October 18, 2010 at 3:13 pm

LLOL on the football comment…..I’ve actually used the “Are you REALLY going to try and talk to me about this NOW while the IOWA GAME IS ON?!?!?” line before……..then just decided it’s easier to date men who are football fans. Something about a guy who doesn’t like football creeps me out. I like what a I like….sorry, I’m not sorry.

23 Cat October 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm

That pizza looks amazing! Besides squash, what else did you put on it? My boyfriend and I are on a pizza-bender and this is a must-try.

24 Natalie October 18, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Where did you get your mini loaf pans? They are so cute, and ive been in a bread baking kinda mood the last week. I think Ive decided everyone is getting homemade bread for christmas this year lol. Btw, you need to post the recipe for the peanut butter banana bread :)

25 Nicole October 18, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Haha, this feels a bit like my life except I suck more at cooking so, I end up going to the triathlons. And Hobby Lobby? What?! They sell kitchen-y stuff? Crap, I need to go NOW.

26 Rachel's Mom October 18, 2010 at 10:06 pm

“You better go to Michael’s, which clearly caters to those who want supplies for their pagan voodoo rituals.”

Ohhh….you crack me up!

27 Bess October 19, 2010 at 10:45 am

I hope you will be posting your banana bread recipe!!!! Love the idea to kick it up with peanut butter.