Rachel Getting Hungry: Loaded Baked Potato Soup

by Rachel on October 19, 2010

Fact: I couldn’t bring myself to cook at all yesterday. I could barely set foot in my kitchen, actually. It was the cooking equivalent of a hangover — I just think I overdid it this past weekend.

And really, I don’t need to cook right now. I have so many delicious leftovers just calling my name. Like this soup, for example.

If you were thinking that potatoes are my favorite food (they are) and that soup is my favorite thing to eat (it is), then you’d probably assume this loaded baked potato soup would get me pretty worked up (it did).

When I saw the recipe in the October issue of Cooking Light, I knew it was only a matter of time before this potato soup was on the dinner menu. And Sunday night, it happened. If you like loaded baked potatoes, you should probably make it happen too. It has all the best flavors from a loaded baked potato — or, better, from potato skins! — in one healthy bowl of goodness and it’s really fast to make on a weeknight.

I highly suggest you make it tonight and enjoy the leftovers tomorrow!

You know what else you’re going to be enjoying tomorrow? All the details of the cooking contest I proposed last week. I’m just sayin’…you may want to make this tonight as a warm up. I think everyone is going to get pretty competitive so you’ll need to get your confidence up and your game face on!

1 marie October 19, 2010 at 3:19 pm

so excited for details of the cooking contest! woo hoo!!!! and I love potato foods: french fries, mashed, baked, drowning in butter…yum yum yum

2 Jessica October 19, 2010 at 3:27 pm

holy moly… I just ate lunch, but my mouth is watering. Yes please! Potatoes are the best! They make any meal better. I have become more experimental in the kitchen the last 2 months, so I am down for any contest that will give me an excuse to find an apron and buy more kitchen towels (to clean up the unavoidable mess)

3 Smash @ Appreciate The Now October 19, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Wowza, this looks delish. *DROOL*

4 Trinidad Pena October 19, 2010 at 3:37 pm

This soup is to die for! I made it last year and it’s gonna be a sample for winter. Here’s a pic of mine, I paired it with a grilled cheese for dipping. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?fbid=1256640100424&set=a.1230938977912.35313.1362241886

5 Katie October 19, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Bookmarked this as soon as I read through CL this month and I totally forgot about it already. Mmmmm.

6 Leashieloo October 19, 2010 at 4:15 pm

That soup is light? Sign me up, lady, I am all about the cheesy potato soup. Just came across the blog and it’s awesome :)

7 Thetreadmilldiaries October 19, 2010 at 4:46 pm

With leftovers like that around, no one can blame you for not cooking. Looks yummy!

8 Manon October 19, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Soooooooooooooo excited for the details!! I just finally got the October Cooking Light and put that recipe on my “must make NOW” list……..can’t wait, looks DELISH!

9 Rachael October 19, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I’m so fucking excited for that cooking contest!
BRING IT BITCHES!

(Forgive me Rachel for I have cussed all over your comment section … grab me a towel, I’ll wipe it up.)

10 Rachel October 19, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Literal snort/LOL at “grab me a towel” — I’m glad you’re so excited!

11 Suzanne October 19, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Soup is my favorite too! But it has to be homemade. None of that canned business. I can’t wait to make it when the weather turns cold. Although today, I was in a rush and broke my own rule and had generic Chix & Rice in a can. It was so yucky.

12 jenna October 19, 2010 at 4:57 pm

did you follow the recipe completely, or did you change anything? your picture looks a lot thicker and more delicious than the one on the recipe page. this looks similar to, but healthier than, my mother’s potato soup recipe.

1 heart, 1 way
: )

13 Rachel October 19, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Hmmm…you know what? I did change one thing — I used 2% milk, not 1%! I totally forgot, but the store didn’t have 1% and I didn’t really care that much.

Also, they have you saute the onions in oil but I sauteed them in the bacon fat. You know how I roll.

1 <3 1 -->

haha love that!!

14 Triz October 19, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Not connected but have you blogged about workout skirts? If not … http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-369-371–12738-0,00.html … what do you think?

15 Rachel October 19, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I have! A while ago though…

I like my running skirts! I don’t really wear them anymore because they are too big and I haven’t been running enough to justify new ones, but they are comfy and cute!

16 Triz October 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Haha, I should have known you would have! Off to read now …

17 Kathleen October 19, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Reading this, I realized that for somebody as Irish-American as me, my complete and utter lack of potato consumption is shameful.

I’ll fight the ol’ Catholic guilt by putting this soup on my t0-make list.

18 Ashley October 19, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Oooh, thank you for pointing me in the direction of that recipe! I have a giant (OK, five pound) bag of yellow taters to use up. That looks deeeeelish!

19 Christie {Honoring Health} October 20, 2010 at 6:33 am

I haven’t had baked potato soup in ages and for some reason, I am super picky about it. Though, I once made one with edamame and it was delish.

Looking forward to the contest!

20 Di October 20, 2010 at 7:00 am

I’m honestly going to have to start making all of these recipes that I’ve been seeing and bookmarking lately.

This is PERFECT for a chilly fall day!

21 sara October 20, 2010 at 3:23 pm

could you use greek yogurt instead of sour cream?

22 emily November 2, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Hahaha, oh my god, I just had a literal lol moment! I submitted a loaded potato soup for the first Project Tasteless entry, and I didn’t even realize until now that your post just before the contest announcement was about loaded potato soup! I had seen the recipe title in a few magazines (CL and some of the old lady mags my mom sends me <– that I love!) but I knew I had heard it on a blog too and I just couldn't remember which. I just went back to the Project Tasteless post to check the days I scrolled to the bottom and saw the previous post link and felt like such a jack ass!