Announcing…Project Tasteless!

by Rachel on October 20, 2010

It’s time to officially kick off my cook-off (and maybe someone will get off?!)!!

What: A six-week cooking competition

Who: YOU! People who like to cook, eat, drink, bone, and who don’t take any of those things — or themselves — too seriously.

When: The next six weeks, starting…now!

Where: In the kitchen!

How to Enter: I’ll post the new challenge every Wednesday. You will have until 11:59 PM EST the following Sunday night to complete and submit your entry. Some things to keep in mind…

• The recipe you enter doesn’t have to be a new recipe, but it needs to be re-entered in context. For example, if I wanted to submit my garlic and citrus roasted chicken as something I’d cook for my boyfriend’s parents, I’d need to cook it again and write a new post about it. The point of the contest is to get you excited about cooking, so whether you want to come up with something new, or you just want to say, “Wow, this is a perfect time to submit my favorite recipe!” is totally up to you. But you have to actually cook.
  • The story behind your recipe is as important as the recipe. So you could write, “Here is my roasted chicken, I hope you like it!”…or you could write, “Let me tell you why buying a turkey baster in preparation for meeting my boyfriend’s parents were two things that seemed totally at odds.” Besides getting you excited about cooking, I also want to get you excited about your sense of humor — something other contests don’t do.
  • If you’re a blogger, I’d prefer that you post the entry to your blog, but I understand if, in some cases, or for some challenges, your dad reads your blog. I’ll take e-mail entries from bloggers but I’m not going to lie — I’ll probably like an entry better if the blogger just owns it and puts it all out there.
  • If you’re a blogger, you need to link back to my blog and use the contest graphic in your entry post.
  • If you’re not a blogger, disregard this. (But go read my post on why you need a blog PLEASE.)
  • Obviously, the most important rule is don’t be ridiculous. This is supposed to be fun and entertaining, so just DBR.

Each week, you have to e-mail your entry or a link to your blog post entry to me at If you e-mail me and I don’t respond within a day or two, please follow up! You’re welcome to tweet it at me or leave a comment here, but please make sure you e-mail me too, just to make it official.

How to Win: There will be a winner each week! To win the weekly prize, you’ll just have to follow the directions on the individual challenge posts. Judging will depend on the challenge. Most of the time, I’ll use my trusted judges: my mom and Eric. My mom knows a thing or two about never winning contests you should totally win, so she’ll be able to help weigh in on that. And Eric is really just there to help me with the literal LOL factor, as well as the “That’s a pretty good post-banging recipe from a guy’s POV” factor. However, I may get guest judges from time to time, and I will definitely have one week where the readers get to vote, because I know some of you put out to be popular and you should be rewarded for that. Any changes in judging will be announced with the challenge.

OK so the challenges will go up on Wednesday; you’ll submit by Sunday and I’ll announce the winner the following Tuesday. Got it?

There will be one winner overall and the only way to win the whole thing is if you enter each week! But if you miss the first challenge and still want to jump in, you totally can, and you’ll be entered to win the weekly prize. So we’ll have seven winnerssix weekly winners and one overall winner.

And no contest is complete without prizes, right? In each challenge post, I’ll also let you know what the prize that week will be. The prizes will be small fun things, like cute kitchen gadgets or, possibly, a nice batch of pumpkin butterscotch cookies, baked by yours truly and FedExed to wherever you are. (When I told Eric this, he just said, “She’s practically giving it away…!”)

The overall winner will not only win my total adoration, but also a new apron of her choice from my favorite Etsy store, along with some other fun shizz to keep her having fun in the kitchen. And if the winner is a guy, then the prize will be slightly modified.

All right, still with me? Let’s get started with Challenge #1: The Naked Chef.

This seems to be the one all of you dirty girls are most excited about, so we’ll start there! The inspiration for today’s contest is my naked pumpkin chili/side boob. For this challenge, you’ll need to cook something in nothing but an apron. For your entry, you need to include:

• A picture of you in the apron (PG-13 at most, but PG is fine too, if you’re a modest gal) and a picture of what you cooked whilst nude.
  • A little story! You can send me the recipe, or you can send me 1,000 words on what it felt like when you burned off your nipple because you chose to make a BLT for this challenge (which I don’t recommend).
  • By entering this challenge, you have to be willing to let me use the pictures in a photo collage next week. I won’t use your name and I won’t link to your blog (unless you want me to) but I am sure you guys will take some adorable, funny, sexy pictures, and I know everyone else will want to see some of the best shots.

Oh and we need a prize right?

All right, I think we’re ready to get in the kitchen! Have at it, friends!

P.S. Tell your significant others I said, “You’re welcome.”

1 Paige October 20, 2010 at 8:41 am

Score. I’m excited.

2 shelby @ eatdrinkrun October 20, 2010 at 8:45 am

Haha, this is awesome! Um…we have some friends staying with us this weekend so that might get a little awkward, but I’ll give it my best!

3 Rachel October 20, 2010 at 8:47 am

Haha — you better get on it tonight then!

4 Manon October 20, 2010 at 8:52 am

Oh I can’t wait! My mom was making fun of the last apron I bought because it was so long I was nearly walking on it….so when she was in New Mexico she bought me one that’s shorter….like the ‘hooker’ of aprons…she has no idea what she’s done. :)

5 Paige October 20, 2010 at 9:13 am

I just realized I have roommates? Four of them?

This will be an adventure.

6 Carolyn @ texaseats October 20, 2010 at 9:24 am

Same here. Let the coordination begin!

7 Paige October 20, 2010 at 10:15 am

Nice! I can already see this video being created at some very random hour of the night.

8 Rachel October 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Dude — are you close with your roomies? Maybe you should just all cook together!

9 Kristen October 20, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I’m in the same boat with the roommates! One is super modest and won’t even walk around in her underwear, oh and there is a sliding glass door in our kitchen that looks into our neighbors kitchen. This shall be interesting! But first I need to find an apron.

10 Paige October 20, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Not that close…Although after an experience like this, how could we not be?

(I too need to track down an apron! Fun stuff.)

11 Laura Georgina October 20, 2010 at 9:33 am

I can’t WAIT to go flamenco sexy (or Sevillian Slutty, a la Carmen) for this challenge!!

12 Lori October 20, 2010 at 9:50 am

OH NO!!! HA! You just *had* to start out with naked cooking… Thank goodness that I can be a prude in my adorably ruffly apron.

Can I wear underwear? I have two labs with very cold noses…

13 Manon October 20, 2010 at 11:55 am

hahaha…I had the same thought….I know one very cold nosed pooch who will need to be OUTSIDE during this bout in the kitchen!

14 Rachel October 20, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Do what you need to do to not get molested by your canines…but I recommend doing it bare-assed.

15 Tiffany (Stuffed with Fluff) October 20, 2010 at 9:50 am

Excellent! We just painted our kitchen, so our curtains are currently down. I better hang them up ASAP, lest I flash students at the elementary school behind my house =( haha.

16 Dori October 20, 2010 at 9:53 am

I am in.

17 genesis October 20, 2010 at 10:35 am

count me in! ill have to remember to shut the blinds since everyone who walks by can literally see into our kitchen.

18 MelissaNibbles October 20, 2010 at 10:38 am

I don’t own an apron!!!

19 Matt October 20, 2010 at 10:40 am

20 Rachel October 20, 2010 at 12:00 pm

YES! A MAN!!!!!

21 marie October 20, 2010 at 10:49 am

sounds fab!!! I will have to be Lame Lucy this round though and be a party pooper on the sidelines- I just can’t put out semi-nude photos on the blog or into the blogosphere…my blog is linked too closely with my Master’s program and some upcoming jobs. but I will definitely be in for the next few! woo hoo!

22 Rachel October 20, 2010 at 12:00 pm

If you still want to be eligible for the big prize, e-mail it in!

23 Robyn October 20, 2010 at 11:15 am

24 chandra October 20, 2010 at 11:19 am

Umm… I’ll have to go buy an apron for this one… or can I cook in a towel? lol

25 Manon October 20, 2010 at 11:54 am

I have aprons you can borrow, but why don’t you have one, weirdo? :)

26 Dori October 20, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I borrowed one that says “Erica” on it!

27 chandra October 20, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Umm, Why do I need one? I guess I never really cook anything that makes much of a mess… or I don’t care if I get food on my clothes. lol

28 Manon October 20, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Ummmm….because they are cute and fun……..but if you like wiping shit all over your clothes, than go for it! You dont’t need an apron for this either then if you don’t like them….just wipe shit on yourself…whatever fills your twinkie!

29 Heather October 20, 2010 at 11:20 am

something tells me that this contest is TOTALLY going to push me past my comfort zone in SO MANY areas. And i am DOWN.

30 Angela @ A Healthy Fit October 20, 2010 at 11:25 am

Lets do this!

31 Ellen October 20, 2010 at 11:33 am

Okay… so I read your blog every single day but have never posted anything.. and although I’m not a blogger, and I tend to think things are funny without actually laughing at them.. I have to say that I literally DIED when I read about the whole burning your nipple off while making BLT’s. I am at work.. all by myself.. crying becuase I am laughing so hard. I tell people all the time to check out your blog becuase I think it’s just great and you really tell it like it is… no holds bars.

I just have to say I can’t wait to hear some stuff from this contest and thanks for the great laugh today! Perfect Wednesday Pick-me-up. :)

32 Rachel October 20, 2010 at 11:57 am

Ellen omg — comment of the WEEK!! Seriously, making people literally laugh out loud (especially those who don’t already) is the biggest compliment I can get, so that is just AWESOME.

Sorry I’m not sorry your co-workers think you’re a lunatic. :)

33 Ayla October 20, 2010 at 11:33 am I’m definitely game! My apron is a bit small though.. and I’m currently living with my parents and sister but you know what? I’m doing it anyways. I’ll just have to be slightly sneaky about it.. and if a family member or friend appears when they shouldn’t.. then hopefully they end up being more scarred then me.

34 Rachel October 20, 2010 at 11:56 am

hahaha literal LOL

35 Devon October 20, 2010 at 11:33 am

So.. I was just thinking last night that I should make bake something in nothing but an apron for my Hubs. Oh boy. This ought to be fun!

36 Jessica October 20, 2010 at 11:43 am

so fun! I need to find an apron at lunch today!!

37 Alison October 20, 2010 at 11:49 am

You WOULD do Project Tasteless, and I adore you for it!

38 Retta @ RunRettaRun October 20, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I am so excited for this! So now . . . I need to get rid of my children for a night, buy and apron and bust out my hooker heels. Then it will be on like donkey kong!

39 Jennifer October 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I’m in! Now I just gotta get me an apron so those shots will be rated PG-13 instead of NR!

40 Julie @ PB Fingers October 20, 2010 at 2:40 pm

i think you now have very blog writer’s significant other adoring you!

41 Kendra October 20, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Buying an apron tonight…

42 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write October 20, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I’m all over this! (And my hubs will probably be, too…)

oooohhhhh I’m here all night. :p

43 Rachel October 20, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Literal LOL

44 ashleigh October 20, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Love this :)

45 Nicole October 20, 2010 at 7:46 pm

I love this. So much fun. Ditto that, Kendra. Apron now. And yes, I am sure the bf will thank you.

46 Sarah October 20, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I am SO excited about this! I’m in college so cooking well is sometimes difficult, but THIS is a challenge I can handle. Good thing I can use my boyfriend’s apartment and don’t have to cook it in the dorm kitchen. That would add a whole new level of difficulty, especially since I’m an RA…

47 Cynthia (It All Changes) October 20, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I so want to do this. The first entry will have to be by email though. My mom and dad read it. I don’t want them to see pictures of me doing this ….although I’ve cooked this way before without the pictures.

48 Allie Finch October 20, 2010 at 9:36 pm

This is great — I have been thinking about it all day & I am really excited.
We are staying with my sister-in-law…& the only aprons in the house belong to her…hmm…this could be interesting…perhaps awkward?? oh well. every one needs a couple my-SIL-is-crazy stories, right?

49 Allie Finch October 23, 2010 at 9:34 am

well I found an adorable handmade apron…& just went for it…uh…fun! :)
Has anyone else posted their “recipe”?
I want to see!! If you visit mine, leave a link to yours in the comments!!

50 Rachel October 23, 2010 at 10:56 am

I am going to post links to the entries so far!!

51 Cat @ YoungFoolishHungry October 20, 2010 at 9:49 pm

PERFECT excuse to buy a cutesy apron. No one would ever be able to get one in time, but if you ever end up entering another contest that requires nakedness and cooking, check out The Hunger Site. They have super cute aprons (like this: AND a portion of the proceeds go to a charity of choice (hunger, literacy, breast cancer, etc). I’ve had my eye on these aprons since Christmas and wish I had made the purchase in light of this contest!

52 Rachel October 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I had never seen this site before but they have tons of great aprons — thanks for sharing!!

53 emily October 20, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I’m in!

54 Elisabeth October 21, 2010 at 10:03 am

I am honestly trying to carve out some time to do this before we leave on our honeymoon. I also need to purchase a curtain for my dining room so that my whole neighborhood doesn’t become part of Project Tasteless. I just can’t miss this one though…I’ll take any opportunity to wear only my apron!

55 Megan H October 21, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Super psyched – currently brainstorming what I shall make! Hubby is eagerly anticipating this meal ;)

56 Jessye October 22, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Thank you Rachel!! This is the perfect opportunity for me to kick-off my slacking in the blog department!! I just found your blog today and look forward to reading in the future! Hilarious material, I love it!!

57 Rachel October 22, 2010 at 1:22 pm

So glad to hear it! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!!

58 Rachael October 22, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Okay this is going to be a challenge for now. We’re moving Saturday. My kitchen is already packed, so my only hope is to cook something delicious Sunday morning once I rescue my cupcake pan from the depths of a very deep box … The apron I’m purchasing new just for this occasion, as my current apron is shamefully ugly (It has Williams and Sonoma written acoss my breasticles) so no problem there. I hope my new neighbors never read my blog, because they’re getting a fresh batch of nakie cupcakes. bahahhaha!

59 Rachael October 22, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I just realized how cute it would be if I started refering to my right boob as Williams and my left boob as Sonoma.

60 Darcy October 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm

DAMN IT! Just saw this tonight spent all day in the kitchen(with clothes underneath) so totally could have entered. Oh well, there’s always next week!

61 genesis October 24, 2010 at 10:52 pm
62 Shannon, Tropical Eats October 27, 2010 at 3:35 pm

darn it how did i miss this?!?!?