Why I May Take Part in No-Shave November

by Rachel on October 27, 2010

I read in Cosmo recently that pubic hair is back “in.” I’m convinced this has nothing to do with anyone’s personal preference and everything to do with the price of razor blades being absolutely criminal.

Dear razor blade CEOs…how do you sleep at night?!

1 Dori October 27, 2010 at 8:16 am

Agree on price of razors. Makes me wonder if full body laser is more cost-effective in the long run than constantly buying razors!

2 Katie October 27, 2010 at 8:33 am

You’ve gotta go to Sam’s or BJ’s for a better deal! They are still absurd though, might as well get a $50 wax that lasts longer.

3 Devon October 27, 2010 at 8:37 am

Um, I might partake because I’m lazy. I clip razor coupons every Sunday and usually buy whatever is going to be cheapest. I told my Hubby to watch out now that temps are cooling off cause I may grow a “winter coat”. He gave me the side eye. Sigh.

4 Rachel October 27, 2010 at 8:39 am

Literal LOL at “winter coat.”

5 Laura Georgina October 27, 2010 at 8:43 am

You mean you’re supposed to replace them suckers?? Like, more than twice a year?

Seriously, though, that price is insane. I try to keep up with the fanciest latest men’s razors (they’re ALWAYS better than the pink fluff marketed at us ladies), but I guess I’m behind with my Mach 4, which costs that much for about five cartridges, I think.

6 Libby October 27, 2010 at 8:46 am

Yeah…I’m basically on team “Shave for Weddings.” The boy doesn’t care, I don’t really care, and really, no one notices. Also, I live in the frozen north where no one besides myself and the big dude see my legs for months at a time.

7 Anne Bender October 27, 2010 at 8:51 am

CVS & coupons = Free. Seriously, need razors? I have a bag full that, one of these days, will be going to the homeless shelter. It’s in my Jeep and when my [17 year old] drove it to school a week ago she said it looked like she had been kicked out of the house and been given a bunch of supplies to get her through the next year. I had to stop shopping.

8 Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad October 27, 2010 at 9:07 am

One perk of Equinox is the free razors. Probably not worth the monthly fee though ;)

9 Kendall October 27, 2010 at 9:35 am

So true.

The razor market is such a racket. Let’s all revolt.

10 Di October 27, 2010 at 9:35 am

I shave once a week at best right now, when I get tired of having hairy … everything. If I shave more often, it’s because I’m attending a wedding and it’s usually only the parts of my legs that will be exposed that get taken care of.

11 Rachael October 27, 2010 at 9:45 am

We should really do a cost analysis of all the different ways to rid your body of hair and see which is truly more expensive. And by “we” I don’t mean myself because math makes me woozy.

I share a blade with my husband (is that gross or being resourceful?) since he is a lucky shit and only has to shave his face about once a month. Actually I don’t know if he’s lucky or just genetically deformed, either way, I see it as bonus points.

12 Manon October 27, 2010 at 9:46 am

SERIOUSLY. Razors and god damn CAT LITTER! It’s GRAVEL. That cats piss and shit on. Please explain to me why I’m paying more for that that TOOTHPASTE?

13 Bree October 27, 2010 at 11:00 am

Word. I hate paying for stuff I need that is ridiculously expensive. My husband and I both complain about it because his are stupid expensive, too. I wouldn’t shave as much as I do but when I my legs are in a constant state of goosebump in the winter they get itchy.

14 Lauren at KeepItSweet October 27, 2010 at 11:34 am

LOL if i didn’t get totally grossed out at my legs after just a week without shaving, i’d do it:-)

15 Lisa @ I'm an Okie October 27, 2010 at 11:45 am

I’m telling you–my boyfriend was out of town on business last October for the entire month! I did not shave once. It was amazingly awesome–and amazinly gross by the end!

16 Matt October 27, 2010 at 11:59 am

How about an electric razor? The upfront cost might be high, but might help in the long run.

17 Aby @ always.aby October 27, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Hahahaha I’m pretty sure I’ve been partaking in No-Shave November for most of my life. I MIGHT shave once or twice a month, especially during the winter. The only one who sees my legs on a normal basis is DH, and he sure doesn’t care. I pretty much only shave if I’m wearing clothing that doesn’t cover my legs or underarms. Razors last me a loooooong time that way!

That being said, they are crazy-expensive. And how do the razor blade CEO’s sleep? On silk sheets with a mattress stuffed full of money. That’s at least how I’d sleep if I made that kind of money…

18 Lauren Slayton October 27, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Too late for this trend, lasered it last year. Not cheap but lifechanging. If in NYC anyone, I can give you stephanie, the laser lady’s info. Funny that I didn’t blink at laser cost but 10 bucks for a blade? Crazy.

19 Kendra October 27, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I had a no shave six months or so a while back because I was too broke to buy razors.

20 Christie October 27, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Wait…. people shave??? Look I’m no hippie (or maybe I am now that I think about it) but the way I see it is if you’re wearing pants you dont need to shave. If you’re getting action from your man you dont need to shave. The only thing I shave with any regularity is my underarms. Also, I use an electric hair trimmer to erm…. make everything smooth…. down below…. it works, and theres no razor rash… or razors… or shaving cream

21 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I am with you! Why is shaving cream so cheap and razors so insanely expensive? boggles my mind!

22 Suz October 27, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Pubic hair is back “in”? I don’t read Cosmo, so I didn’t know it was ever out. Am I lame? Not that I’d make myself bald south of the border. That crap itches too much when it grows back! Plus, it’s not socially acceptable to scratch your snatch in public.

23 Cynthia (It All Changes) October 27, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Winter = tights. NO shaving here. Besides one of the best things about Hunni is he doesn’t care ;-)

24 Pippa October 27, 2010 at 11:50 pm

OK, I’m delurking for this post! LOL, that would SO not work for me! Tried the No-Shave Policy after I’d been keeping my Down South smooth for the last (too many years to mention) and I *hated* it. It just doesn’t feel right. All cluttered up and WRONG!

Blades are wicked expensive, but I’d rather give up coffee before I give up shaving.

25 Rachel October 28, 2010 at 7:57 am

Oooh good point. I didn’t think of it in terms of what I could sacrifice.

26 LC October 28, 2010 at 1:14 pm

The Mach-3 is the world’s best razor. The fusion is completely unnecessary, and in my opinion, all marketing.

AND Mach-3 blades are cheaper!!