Pretty Little Things

by Rachel on October 28, 2010

I’m not slutty, I just lust a lot.

Besides lusting over, well, things you’d typically lust over, I also lust over all things pretty, from fresh flowers to pink cupcakes to gorgeous stationary. I think I’m supposed to be too “edgy” for this sort of behavior but…I just can’t help myself! It takes all my self-control not to buy every pretty little thing that I see. However, this past month, I did make some room in my broke-ass ho budget for things that will help me satisfy my lust for pretty things on a daily basis.

First of all, the notebook where I write my to-do lists was god-awful. There comes a point when you realize that yeah, a $2 notebook is fine in your kitchen, but there are just certain paper products you’d rather not pull out in the presence of colleagues. So I browsed one of my favorite stores — Paper Source, where I often have to go for work, and then get distracted and forget I’m actually there with a mission and the mission isn’t “Buy everything and a new apartment to put it in because you think you’re Martha Stewart” — and found this pretty-but-not-girlie little notebook, for those “fond of fonts.”

No more Lisa Frank for me!

(Just kidding. My old notebook was totally not Lisa Frank. It was “Twilight.”)

Of course, my favorite way to look at pretty things is to read wedding blogs, and The Wedding Chicks is one of my favorites — and I love their shop. Everything is just so pretty, but not sickeningly so. Like, you can want everything in it but still like your tattoo and having sex and it’s totally OK. Anyway, I’ve wanted a monogram tote for a while, but last week, I saw they were having a fall sale so I just went for it. After agonizing about what color to get (seriously, I e-mailed them and was like, “Please help me choose!!!”) I just went with their suggestion for dark grey and grape jelly.

I love it! It came Monday and it’s just perfect — really sturdy material and the design looks great. The totes are so cute and customizable — definitely a good gift for your girlfriends! I really wanted to get the “Hello, I love you” T-shirt too, but, alas, a girl’s gotta eat. Next time.

So you guys know that when it comes to jewelry, I really love gold vintage jewelry and any gold charms. I wear my gold deer necklace nearly every day, but a few weeks ago, Bambi up and disappeared on me! I was so upset. I tore my room and Eric’s room apart looking for it. I kept thinking it was in a purse, like maybe I was in a rush getting dressed so I stuck it in my purse to put on in the car. But I went through every bag I own several times and couldn’t find it.

Besides the fact that I was really bummed about losing my favorite necklace, I also just felt naked without it. So I ended up hitting up Etsy to see if I could find any other deer charms. I couldn’t find anything that was cheap that also didn’t look cheap, so I decided to go a different route and show some love for my new state with a Texas charm. But, then, I couldn’t just neglect my roots…so I had to get a Michigan charm too!

These charms are teeny tiny and so cute! And the necklace with two charms was only $25, which I thought was a pretty great price. Definitely check out the Etsy shop. The designer also has a fabulous “Uncle Buck” necklace that I’d totally want to replace my deer charm if I hadn’t found it in my wallet (!?!?!) the day after I ordered the state charms.

Of course.

I like to carry all my pretty things and then put on this song and feel really happy and girlie.

I’d find it easier to deal with my obsession with pretty things if I could just find a way to make them a little edgier. Would anyone like to join me in petitioning Anthropologie to start making sex toys? I mean, you go in there for a faux-vintage teapot and you come out ready to get teabagged. Anthro — let me help you tap into this market! I can tap anything!!

1 Jackie (ananda prana) October 28, 2010 at 8:14 am

Since Anthropologie is opening an accessories-only shop in MD, you might be able to convince them ;)

My favorite wedding blog is Ever-Ours.com – the pictures give me chills!! You should check it out! And I lust over stationary, as well. There’s nothing quite like pretty paper and cards and post its and planners and… hm. I’ll stop now :)

2 Rachel October 28, 2010 at 8:16 am

Ahhh thanks for the new wedding blog to check out!! And seriously, stationary is IT for me. Ever time I walk out of a store like Paper Source, I just gush about how much I love paper…and then feel like a freak.

3 Anna October 28, 2010 at 8:23 am

Ahhhh I want a state necklace! So I can rep Massachusetts 24/7. Love that state, I do.

How come you didn’t get the brass Ritz cracker necklace? http://www.etsy.com/listing/55382025/brass-cracker-necklace

awesome.

4 Rachel October 28, 2010 at 8:29 am

Ahhh I didn’t see that one! Damn, I love charms.

Every time I put that on, though, I’d think “cracker,” as in, “a funny thing I like to call my white family from time to time.”

5 PoP October 28, 2010 at 8:28 am

Do you have ‘kikki.k’ in the US? Its a store we have in Oz but is Swedish inspired (umm yeah random but was apparently made just for me ;). The stationary is amazing. Inspired by the most organised ppl on earth..the Swedes…and they are hot ofc and so is their stationary ;)

6 Marg October 28, 2010 at 8:49 am

I love browsing wedding sites, luckily my sister is getting married so it’s not freaking my boyfriend out.

Ohh…totally need to make my way over to Paper Source. Loving what I’m seeing online.

7 MelissaNibbles October 28, 2010 at 9:07 am

I have serious obsession with all things vintage. Etsy is the syringe for my heroin!

8 Stephanie @ Single in the City October 28, 2010 at 9:17 am

I also love paper, but my vice is cute little notebooks. I buy them on clearance all the time, yet I really have nothing specific to write in them.

Although I don’t know you personally, I’m going to say that the last paragraph is a classic Rach-ism. Love it!!!

9 shelby @ eatdrinkrun October 28, 2010 at 9:18 am

Love the necklace! Is there a limit to how many states you can put on there? I’ve lived in like…six.

Careful with the paper addiction. When I was planning my wedding I spent a small fortune at Paper Source. It’s a slippery slope!

10 Rachel October 28, 2010 at 9:40 am

Definitely no limit as far as I know…you just have to message her to let her know which states you want and each one is an additional $5.

11 Smash @ Appreciate The Now October 28, 2010 at 10:00 am

Indulging on pretty things is a must! Mine is usually nail polish and purses.

12 Rachael October 28, 2010 at 10:05 am

How is it that you just managed to send me over to a wedding blog where I spent half an hour browsing … even though I had my wedding already? Two years ago.

I love little charms from etsy. I really like those stupid scrabble tiles with pretty little prints on the backside of them, like this one and actually if you check that seller out, she has some scrabble tiles with little deer on them. I just hang mine on a thin long chain and it’s so pretty. I have a few different ones I got at a local farmers market. Plus, how cute is it that there’s a scrabble letter on the back?

I have a weird obsession with stationary stores as well … even going to Office Depot, especially in August right before school starts, I go a little nuts. Makes me wish I was actually still in school. Actually, take that back, makes me ALMOST wish I was back in school.

13 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie October 28, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Haha – I like pretty things too. But can I just say I’m sorry but I’m not sorry? :)

14 AnneWF October 28, 2010 at 12:50 pm

You totally crack me up. Thanks for being you.

15 Manon October 28, 2010 at 1:14 pm

‘I think I’m supposed to be too “edgy” for this sort of behavior but…I just can’t help myself! It takes all my self-control not to buy every pretty little thing that I see.”

I LOVE this. People all the time tell me “Aren’t you a little HARSH to like pretty girly things?” My response? “Bad asses can like pink too, so fuck off.” And off to therapy I go…….

16 Aj October 28, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Fact: this hardcore girl looooooves cute pretty things. The pinker the better.

Further fact: Sex toys must also be cute. I do try to color coordinate. And I find there are so really cute ones on the Babes in Toyland site.

Final fact: Do not open the promo emails from Babes in Toyland at work…with your office door open.

17 Taylor October 28, 2010 at 3:28 pm

That necklace is so adorable! I totally might get one.

18 Krista October 28, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Haha! I haven’t thought about Lisa Frank stuff in yeeeeears. I used to love all her bright colors. Oh, and Sanrio Surprises too. Thanks for the flashback to 7th grade…good times. :-)

19 Ashley October 28, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Hello, I need a monogram bag with my soon-to-be new last initial AND Florida and Pennsylvania charms! OMG!

20 Alison (Ali on the Run) October 29, 2010 at 6:38 am

I just recently came across your blog and I’m LOVING it so far! You’re hilarious and so much fun to read. Also, “Rhythm of Love” is my obsession right now. Looking forward to following your blog!