New Month, New Goals: November

by Rachel on November 3, 2010

Even though it follows the best month of the year, I still like November a lot. And, honestly, I’m getting kinda excited about it. The temperatures have dropped in Houston and it’s on the rainy side, so I can totally squint and pretend I’m in Michigan, thus easing my post-Halloween blues a bit. It’s not perfect — it’s sort of like the difference between getting yourself off and having someone else do it — but it was 88 degrees last week, so I’m pretty happy to end that spell, even if it’s not quite the same.

I do think this month is going to fly by! Not only do we only hath 30 days, but Thanksgiving weekend is something I’m looking forward to because I like taking road trips with Eric and I’m pretty excited for the 10 hour road trip to Kansas.

I mean, if my worst fears are confirmed and Eric’s dad answers the door wearing his Klan hood, well…at least it will make for a good story.

Anyway. Goals! Better late, than never, right?

My October goals went very well! I cooked hard, I blogged hard, and I did Core Fusion like my life depended on it. The four-times-per-week CF goal definitely took commitment but it was worth it — I’m pretty happy with the results. Last week, I was walking around with no pants on (what?) and caught sight of myself in the mirror and wondered if my legs had gotten a few inches longer. My arms are also looking very toned and more trim. I know the changes in my body are a direct result of all the mountain climbers and other hurts-so-good moves I did all month.

I struggled to come up with November goals, but as I did Core Fusion cardio yesterday and my body just went into the next move before I even heard the cue, I knew I had a new workout goal: do no workout more than once a week.

When I love something, I really love it, and tend to go all out with it. But I realized my body is getting used to it and mentally, I could just use a shake-up. So I’m just going to mix it up all month. Running, spinning, kettlebells, Core Fusion, pilates will all have a welcome place in my routine and I think that the change will be good!

That’s all I got for this month! It’s not that I don’t have anything else I want to work on, it’s just that I usually keep up with my goals from past months, and I think that with ten months now behind me, I have pretty much covered everything I want to do to improve personally and professionally. So really, a little workout switch is good enough for me!

How about you? What are your November goals?

1 Matt November 3, 2010 at 8:16 am

My November goals are to keep up with my schoolwork. I have totally been slacking!

I like November too :)

2 Stephanie @ Single in the City November 3, 2010 at 8:50 am

My November goal is to commit to a healthier lifestyle. I’ve been skirting the issue for far too many years and I know I’m only hurting myself. I’m in for a long battle, but if I can change my habits for the better, it will be well worth it. I’ve been single for a long time and I know it’s because I don’t love myself enough. Although I’m a good person, nobody wants to be with a fatty!

I don’t mean to be a downer; just wanted to contribute to the post of one of my favorite blogs!

3 Ramou November 3, 2010 at 11:56 am

I am with you!…kind of. STOP CALLING YOURSELF A FATTY. It’s not that no one wants to be with a fatty, it’s that no one wants to be with someone who thinks so negatively of themselves. And I know this because I do it too. STOP!
Now, let’s hug it out and vow to take better care of ourselves.

4 Stephanie @ Single in the City November 3, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Thank you for the comment! And, yes, I know you’re right and I’ll do my best to work on being more positive. Time to treat myself to a nice long bath on my day off! :)

5 jenna November 3, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I definitely understand wanting to live a healthy lifestyle partly because of being single. Honestly, sometimes I dream of going on dates to motivate me through a hard workout. But let your new healthy choices empower you and change the way you think about your body. Your body is strong and it can do so much- love it and appreciate how it is and how it can change!! :)

6 Stephanie @ Single in the City November 3, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Great way to look at it, Jenna. Thanks for shedding light on a different, and positive, perspective.

7 Kristen November 3, 2010 at 8:54 am

My November goal is to get everything set up for the big Career Search I’m starting next month!! I’m also looking to amp up my workouts so I just signed up for some pilates classes!

8 Caitlin November 3, 2010 at 9:26 am

I think the goal for the rest of my months is to FIGURE IT THE FLIP OUT. Seriously, I need to get a handle on my life and just start taking (huge) steps to get there. I’m toying with the idea of running another half marathon so I think this month I will “train” and see how it goes and if I’m doing well I’ll actually sign up for it.

I need something to keep my slacker ass in line.

And as much as I love that movie, I really hope your trip to Kansas is not as, um, tense.

9 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 3, 2010 at 9:38 am

I went to a couple of kettlebell classes recently, and I was really surprised by the variety of muscles which were sore the next day. Highly recommended!

10 Diane November 3, 2010 at 9:49 am

I’m happy with my October progress. Managed to try two new food places (Italian place across the street that’s open late AND has online ordering? Marry me!) and checked out the local thrift store that’s been taunting me for months.

This month my main goal is to stop White Girl Whining, especially about work. So I have to remind people a dozen times a day that you can’t change text on a pdf? DEAL WITH IT, DIANE.

I’d also like to have a successful and (mostly) fail-free Single Ladies Thanksgiving. My D.C. BFF and I are cooking for ourselves and one other friend as we flee our dysfunctional families in favor of Black Friday shopping.

11 Allie Finch November 3, 2010 at 10:48 am

“no workout more than once a week” — your body will love the switch up & the challenge. I love this goal — I am actually switching up my own workout routine starting today, which will be fairly similar as far as the “not letting my body get used to it” goes.

12 Robyn November 3, 2010 at 11:23 am

My November goals are:
– continue with my Morning Person Experiment (last night was a freebie — it was election night, but I still got 7 hours of sleep)
– learn to run in my Vibram Five Fingers
– run the Elk Grove Turkey Trot in 36 minutes
– do yoga 3 times a week

13 Ramou November 3, 2010 at 11:53 am

“I mean, if my worst fears are confirmed and Eric’s dad answers the door wearing his Klan hood”
You slay me.

My November goal is one that I’ve been trying to do forever, but this time I really mean it…and it’s just to take better care of myself and be nicer to myself. I have to remember that I will not die and the world will not end and my routine is not shot to shit if I miss a day at the gym or eat a hamburger. I WILL BE OKAY!

14 Cynthia (It All Changes) November 3, 2010 at 11:55 am

For me it is keeping meals ready and easy to go as my schedule gets busy and keeping up with exercise even if it is riding my exercise bike while watching DVD’s.

And I’m going to make it to the starting line of my Turkey Trot even if I am walking the darn thing :-D

15 jenna November 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm

My October goal was to always keep in mind how awesome my body is, even if there are things I want to improve.
November goals: run 3-4 days/week, only eat when hungry (or just absolutely stressed ;) ), attend all of my classes

16 Kat (My Fruity Life) November 3, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I just ordered the Core Fusion Body Sculpt dvd after reading your reviews and can’t wait to get started on it. Did you mainly do the body sculpt? Or a different one. Either way, I’m sure they’re all fantastic. Thanks for the helpful reviews!

Kat

17 Rachel November 4, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I mostly did Body Sculpt when I did my first challenge, but then I started doing Arms & Abs/Thighs & Glutes primarily. Now I do the classes via YogaVibes! You really can’t go wrong…it’s an awesome workout. I think the most important thing is CONSISTENCY! Make sure you’re doing the entire DVD at least twice a week, and I’d aim for more, even if it means cutting back on some cardio. You’ll definitely see and feel the results!

18 Missy Maintains November 3, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I love hearing about your results from Core Fusion! So great! My November goals are to work on my mindless snacking at night and to figure out a consistent blogging schedule with my new job! I feel like my blog is all over the place right now.

19 Beth November 3, 2010 at 12:58 pm

LOL you did NOT put ‘Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner’ up there!!!!!!!!

20 Rachel November 4, 2010 at 4:51 pm

That’s right!!

21 Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic November 3, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I love making monthly goals too. My November goal is sleep for at least 7 hours a night!

22 Kaley November 3, 2010 at 1:25 pm

My goal is to believe I’m happy and live it. I’ve been going through a rough time, having moved to another COUNTRY to be with my boyfriend. (He’s the one, but still.) I am struggling with culture shock, loneliness, and general apathy. I’ve been breaking down on average once every two days. I hate that! I used to be a happy person and I want that back. So, my goal is to love who I am, where I am, who I’m with, etc.

I just watched like allllll your videos yesterday. You sound different than I expected – more relatable! Which is a good thing. I loved your PFB video. Don’t know why they didn’t pick you!!

23 retta @ runrettarun November 3, 2010 at 1:57 pm

My goal is to dial back the running before I burn my ass out. not in a good way!!

So funny about the Klan hood thing. Not that it’s funny but you know what I mean. I thought maybe The Lover’s grandfather would yell Jap at me and have flashbacks but he was really awesome. I hope it turns out well for you!

24 Elina (Healthy and Sane) November 3, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I just started a new lifting program on Nov 1 so my goal is to see it through. I’m really nervous about all the things required (scariest things are probably what most people would welcome – more calories, more rest) but I sure do like a challenge ;)

25 Rachel November 4, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I read about your lifting program — so excited to hear how it goes for you! I went through something similar when I traded running for walking/strength training…but it was SO worth it!

26 Maggie November 3, 2010 at 2:29 pm

My November goals are: Complete the Hot Chocolate 5k (Chicago, Nov. 6) without dying or getting injured, even if I finish last; Continue my run/walk training for the next 5k; Make three new soups; Continue to cross train on non-running nights. Ever forward!

27 marie November 3, 2010 at 2:55 pm

My November goals are to find an editorial internship, keep up with my marathon training, and have a more positive attitude. I’m a Negative Nancy at heart but I’m trying to change that!

28 Dori November 3, 2010 at 10:00 pm

My goal is Core Fusion and running. Pretty much the same as always, but I hope to keep up some longer runs as a base while I am not training for anything. And I am finally at the point where my arms look muscley even when I am just standing around doing nothing and I want to keep that up AND make them even better.

29 MelissaNibbles November 4, 2010 at 3:36 am

Great goal. I can’t stick to a set plan and do something different everyday. I think you’ll love it. Good luck!