Crunch Time

by Rachel on November 6, 2010

Today I stepped on a leaf…and it responded!

FUCK YEAH FALL IN HOUSTON!

With this official crunchy-leaf decree, I’m now totally excited for the holidays! I’ve spent the morning reading food magazines and blogs, getting excited for Thanksgiving, researching food gifts, and thinking about Christmas cards. Even though I’m not cooking for Thanksgiving this year — except for some sort of “Please like me!” dish to take to Eric’s family’s Thanksgiving — I think I’m going to just start cooking some oh-so-Thanksgivingish foods for myself in the next few weeks. I mean, who says you have to eat Thanksgiving foods on Thanksgiving? I think I’m going to make some delicious appetizers for dinner tonight.

Well…maybe not tonight. I have no motivation to do anything today except lounge and research — truly, someone may have to come my computer to get me off of Martha Stewart’s Web site. (Also, I’m normally not a huge fan of Food Network Magazine but I am loving the November issue — definitely recommend.) I’m so content in bed with my laptop, I might not have it in me to get to the grocery store today. For now, I’m perfectly happy just looking at stylish, delicious things, especially in the spirit of my favorite time of year.

While it’s never been my favorite holiday, I have to admit, right now, I have a raging boner for Thanksgiving — sorry I’m not sorry!

What is everyone else up to today?

1 Jennifer@ knackfornutrition November 6, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Having grown up in the south, and then relocating wayyy up north for college, I completely understand why you are so excited about fall.
While all my friends at home are wearing shorts and slutty Halloween costumes without freezing their a$$es off, I am bundled in a down coats and Uggs.
The grass is always greener I suppose…
Enjoy it! :)

2 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations November 6, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Late to the fall spirit — I get it. I grew up in Ohio, where fall comes early. Now I’m in Arkansas, where fall just arrived this week. Suddenly, I’m wondering if November 6th is too early to put up the Christmas tree, watch How The Grinch Stole Christmas, and head out to SBUX for a grande non-fat peppermint mocha.

3 Bridget@PavementandPlants November 6, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Now that the weather is amazing here (!!!) I went for a long run. I totally overestimated my current level of endurance but eh, it was worth it! It was also Food Trailer Festival here so I wandered for awhile. I love how much happier people are when they are not sweating balls.

4 Matt November 6, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I love Fall :)

5 jenna November 6, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I spent the morning watching Christmas movies and ordered two cookbooks from amazon. This afternoon I may or may not have stopped by the mall to feel the holiday spirit (…and shop the sales for a new dress!) before driving home to see my parents.
It’s either because it just got cold in Tennessee this week or that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, but I am already so wrapped up in the holiday season!

6 Rachel November 7, 2010 at 9:17 am

1. What Christmas movies?
2. What cookbooks?!

Don’t leave me hanging when talking about some of my favorite topics!!

7 jenna November 8, 2010 at 2:06 am

Haha, so true.
1. Love Actually and Fitzwilly. Love Actually is such a modern-day classic, and I really enjoyed seeing Fitzwilly for the first time- Dick Van Dyke is so precious and goofy!
2. Rachael Ray’s “365” because I’m all down for 30 minutes meals, and Nigella Lawson’s “How to Eat,” which I’m reallllly excited about.

8 cyndie November 7, 2010 at 8:53 am

I love thanksgiving….but this year I have to work! I would love to go to my boyfriend’s family thanksgiving, but I don’t know if its going to happen because of work :(

9 Gaby November 7, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I’m in NY today!! I love Thanksgiving and all the food involved. It’s always been my favorite holiday and probably for all the wrong reasons, but I love my fall foods.
I did receive your email the other day, but my itouch was being weird at work. Totally cool, I had myself a lazy and wonderful Saturday morning and we’ll hang out as soon as you’re feeling better!

10 Smash @ Appreciate The Now November 8, 2010 at 11:48 am

Sigh, the leaves haven’t changed much here, though to make up for it the boyfriend and I have already eaten 2 pumpkin pies. Double sigh. Thank goodness for all the soccer we’ve been playing…