Making Bread in the Blender? B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

by Rachel on November 7, 2010

A few weeks ago, Eric had some dying bananas and asked me to make banana bread with them. Since I had just gotten the new Cooking Light — the one that featured three new banana bread recipes — I was all over it.

The Cooking Light recipe actually uses my favorite bananarama bread recipe as the basis, so I knew it would be a winner! But this version is a real treat because well…it has peanut butter in it.

In case you’ve forgotten, this was the bread I had to make in the blender.

Normally, I’d just beat it by hand, but I wanted to make sure the peanut butter was really blended in, so I went ahead and put it in the blender to be on the safe side.

I really wish Eric would get some electric beaters.

To make it yourself, combine 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup ground flaxseed, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon allspice.

In a separate bowl (or blender) add 1 and 1/2  cups  mashed ripe banana (if you don’t have overripe bananas, peel a few bananas, freeze them solid, and then let thaw in the fridge  until they turn into banana goop), 1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt, 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter, 3 tablespoons melted butter, and 2 large eggs. Beat until combined and then beat in 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar.

Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and beat until just blended.

Stir in 2 tablespoons of chopped, dry-roasted peanuts, pour the batter into a loaf pan coated with cooking spray, and pop in a 350 degree oven.

(The recipe said 1 hour and 5 minutes but I checked mine at 50 minutes and the edges were already too brown. I think Eric’s oven is a little off, but you might want to keep an eye on this.)

Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then on a wire rack for a little longer.

While your banana bread cools, make the icing by combining 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon 1 percent milk, and 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter.

The original recipe says to whisk it. Do not whisk it. Definitely do not whisk it. If you whisk it, you’ll just be left with a huge lump of peanut butter coated in sugar stuck in your whisk. Use a spatula here. That icing is so good — you don’t want to mess it up.

Spread the icing over the cooled bread and don’t torture yourself any longer — cut right into it!

The icing tastes like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups — that shit really is bananas.

All right, now you know. You’ve got an extra hour in your day…might as well use it on this!

1 Matt November 7, 2010 at 10:03 am

Are you trying to tease me? That looks awesome :)

2 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations November 7, 2010 at 10:30 am

The blender works so well. I don’t even have a mixer (yes, gasp!!), but my trusty blender is working out just fine — I use it as blender, food processor, and mixer. For now anyway.

3 Laura Georgina November 7, 2010 at 11:22 am

Why is the universe willing me to bake lately? Why why why?? I’m running out of legit reasons to make such delicious things, so I’m gonna have to resort to the old “I let the dog out so I have to treat myself” or “I haven’t pissed my mom off in a long time so I have to treat myself” reasons…

Once I eat up the peanut butter cookies I made and the cinnamon rolls I’m making, this is going into my oven.

4 thetreadmilldiaries November 7, 2010 at 11:39 am

I like bringing peanut butter and bananas together any chance I can get. Definitely want to try this one. Yum.

5 Lauren at KeepItSweet November 7, 2010 at 12:23 pm

that wouldn’t last more than a day in my apartment

6 Liz @ Blog is the New Black November 7, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Holy moly, this looks and sounds too good to be true!

7 Kristine November 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm

You always make the best looking foods1 By the way I loved your last post too with the “crunch.” I am moving from new england to a hot climate next year, and I feel like I am definitely going to miss the fall!! We can relate! :)

8 Kaley November 7, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I love baking things like this so much. Good thing the boyfriend likes to eat or otherwise I’d be handing out baked goods on the street.

9 G November 7, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Officially buying bananas tomorrow.
This recipe seriously made me drool…

10 zenlizzie November 7, 2010 at 10:20 pm

People don’t realize how much can be done with a blender until they are food-processor-less and electric-mixer-less.
I have some bananas I froze in a panic because they were turning too fast. They will probably become a banana bread as soon as I can find someone to eat it. There are only so many baked goods I can make for myself.

11 Alicia at Poise in Parma November 8, 2010 at 9:52 am

I’ve been searching for a recipe to make for Hans’ birthday next week. The words “bananas” and “Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups” has ended my search. A soon to be 29 year old will be thanking you from Cleveland on November 17th :)