I’ll Stick to Writing About Food

by Rachel on November 13, 2010

When it comes to food, I definitely don’t write about everything I cook or eat. I mean, I know a commenter told me, “Stick to writing about food,” when I got too “political” on election day, but…I just can’t help myself! If I only posted about food, I wouldn’t have nearly enough time to write about the other important aspects of my life, like why I love Twitter and how I get my hair so big.

Anyway, I know how much everyone hates my “crass, media-driven topics,” so today I thought I’d go back to just writing about food. Because, like all women, my place is in the kitchen. Not talking politics. Even when “talking politics” means “talking about which parties you’d rather bang,” I’m still not allowed to do it. Even though I’ve written about politics before and won a major scholarship for my efforts? No? Still not OK with my anonymously commenting friends?

Well, all right, then. I’ll stick to writing about food.

Here are some my favorite recent recipes! Prepare your grocery list accordingly.

Leah’s Dad’s Chicken Soup

I wasn’t feeling too well a few weeks ago and decided to make this soup. Leah swears by it, and I think everyone should have a chicken soup recipe they swear by, right? It definitely lived up to her description. I used chicken thighs and bone-in chicken breasts, plus the veggies and herbs she suggested. And she’s so right — you really do not need any carbs in it. The first time I had it, I ate it over whole wheat orzo, but after that, I didn’t bother; I just dipped a nice chewy roll in it. Heavenly, and pretty no-fuss to make.

Enchiladas inspired by Cooking Light and Eat, Live, Run — her recipe and her mom’s recipe.

I don’t know why I woke up one day and decided I had to make enchiladas. I am not even sure if I’d ever even eaten them before.

Because I didn’t know what they were supposed to taste like, I read three different recipes and took the things I liked from each. I also added black beans. I certainly enjoyed them, although that wouldn’t have meant they tasted like enchiladas. But Eric happened to come over for dinner that night and he said enchiladas are one of his favorite foods — and he approved these, so I guess that means they tasted right!

Jessica’s Crunchy Chicken Fingers and Roasted Green Bean Fries

How Sweet It Is is one of my favorite food blogs. Not only do Jessica’s recipes look incredible (red velvet cookies?!), but she keeps it real whilst cooking for herself and her meat-loving-man. Not only does she keep it real with real food, but also with real funny stories of married life. (I love the day she sent the Mr. to the grocery store and he came back with meat. Just meat. Like, a lot of meat.) I finally decided to de-lurk and start cooking some of her recipes, so I started with this one. The chicken was easy and really tasty. I put the leftover chicken fingers in a tortilla the next night with some cheese and honey mustard for my own spin on the Detroit classic: the chicken finger pita. I didn’t think the green beans tasted like fries, but they were a good new way to eat geebees nonetheless. Hmm…and I wasn’t going to cook today but now I kinda want to make those red velvet cookies.

Cauliflower Soup

Every Friday, Central Market has cheddar cauliflower soup and I love it. But it’s really dairy-heavy, and although it’s worth a box of Lactaid, I wanted to see if I could make a still-creamy dairy-free version. This recipe is good, but I think I’m spoiled from the Central Market soup. Recently Cabot sent me some of their new single-serving cheeses to try, so I melted one of the garlic-herb slices in the soup and that gave it more of the taste I was going for. I definitely recommend adding cheese if you make it.

The Pioneer Woman’s Spicy Roasted Chicken Legs

I used to be afraid of The Pioneer Woman’s recipes because she cooked with butter. And she didn’t post calorie counts! WHAT?! Well…I’m glad I have seen the light. Instead of using chicken legs for this recipe, I used two pounds of chicken thighs and then halved the recipe for the butter mixture. Don’t freak out about the butter; most of it dripped off when the chicken was roasting, but I was still left with some of the juiciest chicken I’ve ever eaten. This chicken recipe is a perfect example of how simple, inexpensive foods can be delicious, filling, and make you just feel nourished. I can see this becoming a go-to chicken recipe for years to come. She’s sold me on her blog and I can’t wait to get her cookbook.

All right, well, I feel much better having gone back to just writing about food. I’m so glad someone reminded me that that’s all I’m good at.

{ 37 comments }

1 Chanelle November 13, 2010 at 10:14 am

1) I think i’d cry if you ONLY wrote about food… You’re great at it, but I need someone to write about nappy hair!

2) I don’t think your hair is big…. but that’s probably because I’m black haha

<3 you!

2 Alicia at Poise in Parma November 13, 2010 at 10:17 am

God bless you for speaking your mind in ALL THINGS! Forget those commenters who don’t have the you-know-what to even leave their name when writing a comment like that.

…and thanks for these recipes. I’m under the weather, so I foresee those soups in my near future. I’ve also been meaning to try making enchiladas. I’ll send ya some blog love once I get around to it.
Alicia at Poise in Parma´s last post ..Pick Me To Be the PlayhouseSquare Jump Back Ball Blogger!My Profile

3 Val @ Balancing Val November 13, 2010 at 10:17 am

I’d cry too if you just wrote about food!

4 FoodCents November 13, 2010 at 10:22 am

Yes, it is really important that you remember to adhere to whatever “Pissy-Pants Anonymous” (PPA) says. We all should heed to this individuals advice & remember not to have an opinion, only stay in the kitchen and never think for ourselves. Thank you, PPA – you have really done society a favor. Now please do us a favor & don’t procreate.

Ok, I use a creamier ‘tater for my cauilflower soup to help create a creamy texture – works pretty well. I do add a splash or cream or milk, as well as some cheese.
FoodCents´s last post ..FRIDAY FREAK…My Profile

5 Manon November 13, 2010 at 12:22 pm

high five @ “Now please do us a favor & don’t procreate”.
Manon´s last post ..A TGIF Gift to YOU!My Profile

6 Tiffany November 13, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Ha, agreed. Another high five from me! :)

7 Jess November 13, 2010 at 10:31 am

Everyone, ESPECIALLY women, should talk passionately about politics. Maybe if more people discussed it the system wouldn’t be so fucked in the first place.
Talk about what you LOVE because that’s why I continue to read your blog.
Jess´s last post ..Just a QuickieMy Profile

8 Ashley November 13, 2010 at 10:32 am

OMG, thank you for sending me to How Sweet It Is! Red velvet cookies from scratch?! I had only ever seen the cake mix cookie kind, and well, have you ever read the ingredients on a cake mix box? Eff that noise.
Ashley´s last post ..Food as a creative outletMy Profile

9 Rachel November 13, 2010 at 10:36 am

Ashley, I think you will LOVE How Sweet It Is!!

10 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations November 13, 2010 at 10:38 am

Your sarcasm makes me smile. I love the comments about womens’ place being in the kitchen not talking politics. Makes me think we all best get started on some politically incorrect dishes… lol.
Michele @ Healthy Cultivations´s last post ..Foraging on FridayMy Profile

11 FoodCents November 13, 2010 at 11:02 am

Michele, a “politically incorrect dish” contest would be great!!!!
FoodCents´s last post ..FRIDAY FREAK…My Profile

12 Sarah November 13, 2010 at 11:09 am

Oh, you know how those Republican boys can get sometimes ;)

Thank goodness some of us ladies (and men!) understand that life is full of food, drinks, big hair, bad days, great days, relationships, and of course getting FDAU. For every hate follower, you’ve got tons of people who love the diverse material you give us in your blog.

Keep it up, sassy lady!

13 Laura November 13, 2010 at 11:10 am

Love your post! The whole thing is great, but particularly the first half! I would be very sad if you wrote only about food; your blog makes my work day SO much better! Plus, it is incredibly refreshing and liberating to read something from a strong, independent, opinionated, funny and smart woman.

14 Alli November 13, 2010 at 11:13 am

I love Pioneer Woman, but I’m totally with you on her butter (…and cream…and bacon) use. I’ve halved the amount of butter and subbed 2% milk for cream in her recipes, and they’re still sometimes too rich! That said, she has a sundried tomato pasta salad recipe that I made something like 10 times for events over the summer – leftovers every time? 0.

Alli´s last post ..Fall Cabbage CasseroleMy Profile

15 Cyndie November 13, 2010 at 11:14 am

No! I love your blog for it’s variety of topics. I love food…but I also love a myriad of other things in life. :) keep up the good writing :)
Cyndie´s last post ..Man on the Moon II- The Legend of Mr Rager music reviewMy Profile

16 Lauren at KeepItSweet November 13, 2010 at 11:25 am

i enjoy getting a variety of topics on your blog! obviously i like reading about food, but it is refreshing to get different points of views on relavent topics!
Lauren at KeepItSweet´s last post ..A Night at Flex MusselsMy Profile

17 stephanie November 13, 2010 at 11:42 am

I’ve made those chicken fingers too and they are amazing!

18 PoP November 13, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Ummm….you right about food?
;)
Keep doing what u do Rachel your amazing :)
PoP´s last post ..who ate my fatMy Profile

19 Leah @ L4L November 13, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Bah humbug! I like your blog because you don’t just write about food!
Leah @ L4L´s last post ..New Food- Steel Cut OatsMy Profile

20 Bridget@PavementandPlants November 13, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Well this Hollaback minion thinks those enchiladas look delicious!

21 Manon November 13, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I loooooooooooooooove enchiladas!!! Thank you for reminding me I have an excellent chicken/green chile enchilada recipe that has been neglected.
Manon´s last post ..A TGIF Gift to YOU!My Profile

22 Aj November 13, 2010 at 12:43 pm

And this Hollaback minion (Bridget – you got to use it before I did!) thinks food is political. So there. (Sticking out my tongue petulantly, as only an only child could.)
Aj´s last post ..The 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month…My Profile

23 Danielle November 13, 2010 at 1:14 pm

All the food looks delicious! BUT that is not why I read your blog. I enjoy your political, slightly crazy, dramatic writing that makes me laugh out loud almost every time. Keep the entertaining non-food posts coming!
Danielle´s last post ..Im Back!My Profile

24 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write November 13, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Girl, don’t you dare listen to that crap. People are stupid.

There are always haters, always. Keep on keeping on. xo
Jasmine @ Eat Move Write´s last post ..Real-Life Marriage- I’m Not Always AwesomeMy Profile

25 Jessica @ How Sweet November 13, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I’m so glad you liked the chicken fingers. You don’t even want to KNOW how many batches of those we go through weekly…
Jessica @ How Sweet´s last post ..Chocolate Fudge Pomegranate CookiesMy Profile

26 MRG November 13, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Uhhh… You’re not fun when you talk about food. In fact, I only read your posts that are not-food related.

27 Sarah November 13, 2010 at 6:31 pm

I actually prefer your non-food related post! Your wit always comes out, but especially when it’s on topics other than food.

28 Caroline November 13, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Haha, are you kidding me? Just write about food? The political article was witty and funny…and I’m Republican.

29 Allison November 13, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I’m coming out of my lurkdom to comment.

I wouldn’t read your blog if you strictly wrote about food OR your life. You find a perfect balance between the two and I really enjoy your work. I will admit I looked into these healthy living blogs after the Marie Claire fallout, and a lot of blogs are well, boring. I’d like to think bloggers have lives other than this is what i ate and this is what I ran and you prove that you do.

I skipped all the food pics and came down here to comment. Oops.

30 Triz November 14, 2010 at 3:11 am

Ignore.

31 Theresa November 14, 2010 at 7:59 am

Fuck the haters (but use protection, because as @FoodCents said, we don’t want them propogating). Your voice is crass and occasionally annoying, but that’s OK because it clearly works for you! This world (esp. the lifestyle/food/healthyliving/WTF ever you want to call yourself -o-sphere) needs more well rounded women talking about things other than food. And weight loss. And running. And oats.
Theresa´s last post ..Scrambled eggs over spinach and shallotsMy Profile

32 Chandra (@ShiftC) November 14, 2010 at 11:36 am

Ummmm. You’ve never eaten an enchilada before? That makes me very, very sad. It is a sin to not consume a good ol’ monterey jack cheese enchilada. Or a Sonora style enchilada. Or a sizzling Mazatlan shrimp enchilada. Or a vegetarian spinach enchilada. Or a three cheese enchilada. Or…

33 Allie Finch November 14, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Your food posts are great…but…all the other aspects of YOU make YOU so much more interesting. On second thought, I think you should just conform…maybe you should just post about oats. ;)
Allie Finch´s last post ..Christening My D60 &amp Reading the Fine PrintMy Profile

34 Lisa Klow November 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I love ALL your posts! BTW re: Pioneer Woman – she’s going up against Bobby Flay this Wed night on Food Network in a Thanksgiving Throwdown!
Lisa Klow´s last post ..What I Did On My Days OffMy Profile

35 Rachel November 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Rachel! You officially made me starving! I want to eat the pizza right through the screen…that’s how good it looks. Beautiful, beautiful pictures : )

36 Kristen November 15, 2010 at 12:05 am

While you’ve definitely made me a bit more interested in cooking, I am more interested in you teaching me how to ensure a night ends in a way that I wake up with a bangover. Can you get to work on that post?! ;)

37 Rachel November 15, 2010 at 8:23 am