Lessons #50-52: From the Kitchen

by Rachel on November 14, 2010

Lesson #50. Before making red velvet cookies, double check that you have red food coloring.

Jess’s recipe for red velvet cookies from scratch is incredibly easy and the cookies are incredibly tasty (when she says she scorched her tongue eating hot ones…yeah, I get it) so I highly recommend making them ASAP. I also recommend making them, you know, red. Despite being the wrong color, they still tasted fantastic — these are definitely going on my “food gifting” list for this year.

Lesson #51: An inverted baking sheet really does work if you don’t have a pizza stone.

I made the Pioneer Woman’s BBQ chicken pizza last night with Eat, Live, Run pizza dough. I wanted it to cook evenly, so I decided to try this broke-ass-ho-in-need-of-a-pizza-stone tip that I had read online and it worked! My homemade pizzas tend to get very fat and puffy but in this case, the crust was super even and just the right amount of crispy. On another note: MAKE THIS PIZZA! I mean, BBQ chicken pizza is the sort of thing you can pretty much  depend on to taste good, but this was way better than I expected. Eric and I were pretty shocked by how great it tasted. We polished off the entire thing at dinner; the only thing I regret about this was not having any leftovers to eat for breakfast today.

Lesson #52: When you have electric burners, you can’t just go setting things on top of the stove.

You’d think after three months, I’d know this. (Side note: Mom — please send cute seasonal potholders if you come across them. This is shameful.)

Clearly, I’ve learned a lot in the kitchen this weekend. Speaking of which, don’t forget your Project Tasteless It’s OK to Come Early entries are due tonight. I can’t wait to see what has been going on in your kitchen!

1 Matt November 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm

That pizza looks so good! I love BBQ Chicken Pizza :)

2 Maya November 14, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Is it odd if red food dye kinda creeps me out? Those cookies look good, so I think I’ll give it a go by making them without the dye (intentionally). Thanks for the lessons, Rachel!

3 Alison November 14, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I’m serving pizza tonight! The inverted baking sheet will be a life saver! Thanks!

4 Rachel November 14, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Oh yay! The trick is to pre-heat the sheet in the oven and then slide the pizza onto the sheet on parchment paper. It’s not easy (I had Eric help me) but it’s worth it!

5 marie November 14, 2010 at 1:46 pm

yummm! I love red velvet EVERYTHING! It’s going to be our wedding cake! wahoo!!! Also- my mom just sent me Thanksgiving themed napkins and I was SO SO excited for them!

6 Thetreadmilldiaries November 14, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Whether red or not, your cookies look scrumptious. I’m looking for a couple of easy recipes or two for the holidays. This could be one of them. Thanks !

7 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations November 14, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I absolutely LOVE the inverted cookie sheet idea as one who also does not currently own the coveted pizza stone.

8 Hayley November 14, 2010 at 4:50 pm

It’s so weird how the red part of red velvet is just coloring. I think my mind likes to think that the “red” taste like something.

9 Jessica @ How Sweet November 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Hahaha I’ve totally done the same… about 50 times. Glad you liked them!

10 Cynthia (It All Changes) November 14, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I love the pot holder. I’ve done that far to much even with gas burners. I even burnt my friends pot holder at her house. I don’t think her husband wants me to come over and cook anymore :-)

11 Jess-The Semi Abnormal Gal November 14, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Snap Rachel….it’s probably even better you don’t have gas….that would have been a house ablaze, instead of a shamefully scorched seasonal potholder. Be careful woman! :)

(PS. Sorry to sound like a mom, but I’m terrified of house fires)

12 Rachel's Mom November 14, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Actually, the potholder would have been fine on the gas stove. I think she put it on the electric burner because it was turned off, and with the gas stove at our house, “off” means no fire, so you could put a potholder down on the burner, and it wouldn’t burn. “Off” on an electric stove means, “still hot enough to scorch something.” Does that make sense?

She has been known to melt things, though, on the gas burner at home, after it has been turned off. :)

13 Rachel November 14, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I know, I know! My mom is right — the electric burner was off but still hot and I forgot!!

She’s also right about melting things on the gas burner.

I’m just…trouble.

14 Tabs November 16, 2010 at 2:30 pm

burnt my tongue…that’s all I’m saying.

Oh, except that I will add: ‘HOLY YUM, you were right! Totally worth the lost taste buds”