The Scraps

by Rachel on November 23, 2010

There is just half a day until my holiday begins, and can I just tell you what I’m most excited to do over Thanksgiving?

Not cook…

Not eat…

Not…do other things I like to do in the kitchen…

No…I’m really most excited to organize my recipes!

This has been on my agenda for a while. The recipes that I tear from magazines are organized in my recipe binder, but what about my recipes? You know, the ones I’ve made with love, that have memories attached? God bless the internet, but I want hard copies. I want to be able to look back in ten years and say, “Oh, yes, that’s the chocolate hazelnut cake I made for Christmas the year [Santa didn’t come/I got knocked up/everyone got belligerent].”

I love cookbooks and recipe cards. I love collecting them — random ones I find on the internet or family ones I borrow with full intentions of never giving back. When I specialized in history in college, I had a special love for cookbooks as a primary source. I mean, what better way to learn about someone than to study how she nourishes herself and others?

During one of my nesting-driven trips to Hob Lob, it finally dawned on me: I should make a recipe scrapbook.

Oh, did I forget to mention that I like scrapbooking? Yeah…at some point in my formative years, before I discovered booze and my body and got distracted, I learned to scrapbook.

I know that this makes it sound like I’m just waiting for my minivan and mom jeans, but I’ve just always really liked scrapbooking. Playing with layout, design, and theme and using visuals to tell a story is exactly what gets me off — it’s why I always wanted to be a magazine editor.

Not to mention, I just fucking love paper.

(This is why I can’t be a real scrapbooker. Those ladies are carrying rolling suitcases to their conventions and I’m — just like everywhere else I go — That Girl, in this case dropping F-bombs over letterpress.)

I have quite a few scrapbooks. My favorite is the 100-page (seriously, it’s as thick as a phone book, if those even still exist) scrapbook I created after my summer studying abroad. It was a huge project, and a good way to work through how devastated I was over being back in the USA. I also have one documenting my middle school sports and school plays, and one with some of the classier moments of sorority life. It seems fitting to begin a new one for adulthood.

A couple weekends ago, I started working on it!

I knew I wanted to write the recipes by hand, and writing them on pre-cut cardstock seemed like an easy option. I would basically make them into recipe cards that I could then paste into a scrapbook instead of filing in a box. I also knew that I wanted to include the pictures of the recipes. With my prior knowledge of scrapbooking, I figured I could get two recipes on each page, and could organize them by season/type of recipe/etc. Of course, not every page would have just recipes — many would also have other pictures from the meal. That was what I was most excited about. It wouldn’t just be pictures of food; it would also be a scrapbook in the traditional sense.

Before I even collected my recipes, I started collecting 40 percent off coupons for Hob Lob and Michael’s and may have hit three stores in one day to get the best deals.

Sorry I’m not sorry. Cardstock is expensive shit.

Using my coupons, I started hoarding the supplies. Then I got down to business collecting my pictures. I deleted most of them off of my hard drive, so I downloaded them from my blog. In the end, I just uploaded the whole lot to Walgreens.com on a day they were having a print sale. Later that day, I picked up about 100 pictures and got to work.

I haven’t had much time to work on it so far, but I’m slowly writing out the recipes and organizing the pages. Writing them out by hand takes time, but I think that’s why this project appeals to me.

When you make a scrapbook, you don’t have to worry about your computer freezing or your server being down. You don’t have to have WiFi to show people your work. I love the way the internet allows us to connect with others, but there’s something about working with paper all by your lonesome that is really nice too.

So that’s my plan for the holiday — writing out recipes by hand! I’ll be avoiding the mall and the Web and working on my unplugged activity, creating a project that exists somewhere besides cyberspace, something that will last. I mean, you’ve “known” me for almost two years now, but this is probably the first time you’ve ever seen my real handwriting.

Any other scrapbook enthusiasts out there or did I did I just turn myself into the Mallory Pike of the blog world?

1 Cat @ YoungFoolishHungry November 23, 2010 at 9:40 am

That’s an awesome idea! I like to scrapbook but don’t have the work space (tiny college apartment) and not always the time.

2 Rachael November 23, 2010 at 9:45 am

What cracks me up is how right after you ask about being Mallory Pike, your blog has suggested related posts, including: “Lesson #26: How to Vajazzle” … so the answer to that final question? No.

This is why I love wedding season. When I was planning my wedding, I hit those stores harder than an addict sniffing out crack. I was driven by all the sparkly cardstock (which I used plenty of, and reminds me, I have plenty left.) and ribbons and pens and all those little do-dads in the scrapbooking area. I bought a bunch of these white delicate paper flowers and decorated hand-made thankyou notes and giftboxes with them. No detail of my damn wedding was left untouched. The favors were shotglasses (well duh, let’s be real here, we are boozers.) with our wedding date and my theme flower — a hot pink gerbera daisy — filled with personalized colored m&ms. I had to go further though. I wrapped each one up in mesh, tied with a too cute ribbion and attached a small little charm to the ribbon that said “Thank you” … I was that hard on about crafting. Ah hell, God Bless the internet, there’s a picture on Flickr.

I think just like how the grocery store is your church. Craft stores are my mine. I could wander around for hours. I have to touch everything though. Just touch.

3 Rachael November 23, 2010 at 9:50 am

okay, let’s try this link thing again shall we Flickr?

4 Rachael November 23, 2010 at 9:51 am

oh nevermind.

5 Erica November 23, 2010 at 9:52 am

I love scrapbooking! My grandma made me this GIANT one when I graduated high school. It basically holds my entire childhood/adolescence in one book. I have a whole box of “memories” in my closet that I’m saving for my scrapbooks (a semester of study abroad and a summer in LA included), I just never get around to actually doing it. Also, I clicked through to your Hob Lob nesting post, and OMG, I’ve been feeling the exact same thing at age 22. I don’t know what it is, but my boyfriend can vouch for this, all I keep saying is, “I want a house.” I just want MY own place, with my own things, and my own kitchen, and I also want a dog! I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I’m living back at home with my big family and spending my off-time across the state with the bf. I’m very much a nomad these days. Plus, it’s that time in life where I’m (supposed to be) starting my career and settling down. Very weird time, indeed. Anyway, I feel for ya. And great idea for the recipe scrapbook!

6 Kenz @ All The Weigh November 23, 2010 at 9:56 am

I’m a scrapbooker too…and I made an awesome recipe book a few years ago complete with it’s own built-in stand. It’s kind of awesome..Ive been working on recipes lately too…adding them and stuff..It’s nice to know that someone gets it. :)

7 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 23, 2010 at 10:04 am

I’ve never scrapbooked, but I could see myself doing it – I like painting, and pottery, so why not? My sister-in-law has become obsessed with scrapbooking lately – she hosts workshops and everything.

8 Paige November 23, 2010 at 10:04 am

I’ve always wanted to get into scrapbooking (mostly because I love the paper and crafting supplies) but I every time I attempt it tends to be a flop. I think I lack the creativity to put things together like this. Buuut I really want it to work out, so maybe I’ll start stalking scrapbooking sites for inspiration this month and give it another go! I saw like 800 craft store coupons in the paper, so maybe I’ll tackle the three-store-approach also. I have tons of things leftover from my previous attempts too…

Yay! I’m excited.

And I love the recipe scrapbook idea. So fun.

9 ashleigh November 23, 2010 at 10:21 am

What a great idea. You are so freaking creative, I love it. It looks like your scrap book is going to come out great. Have fun working on it over the long weekend!

10 Shannon November 23, 2010 at 10:44 am

What a wonderful, lovely book! And it is definitely something you can pass down in your family!

11 Smash @ Appreciate The Now November 23, 2010 at 10:49 am

Oooo cute! I haven’t scrapbooked in a looooong time but this makes me want to do one! Did you buy stock in Michael’s and Hob Lob since you’re going to inspire us to all make one? ;) I see your evil little plan.

12 Tenecia November 23, 2010 at 10:57 am

I don’t scrapbook…I can’t sit still long enough to do it! But my mom made me the most beautiful scrapbook..it spanned the course of my life up to that point and she gave it to me at my bridal shower. I don’t cry…it’s just not my thang…but when I saw it and started looking through it, I was moved to tears! It means the world to me and I love to watch my daughter look through it and ask me questions about the pictures or notes my wrote to me.

T.

P.S. I may or may not stockpile Michael’s 40% off coupons in order to buy stones to bedazzle my competition suits…those suits are expensive and I’d rather spend that money on a purse or booze…sorry I’m not sorry!!!

13 taryn November 23, 2010 at 12:00 pm

That looks great, Rachel! Maybe you’ll publish it one day :)

14 Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks November 23, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I’m not a scrapbooking enthusiast, but you make me wish I was.

(and that I had recipes to put in one..oops!)

Great idea!

15 Laura Georgina November 23, 2010 at 1:05 pm

No!! Please don’t make it look so cool and add to the list of hobbies that make me just a bit nerdy (because I can’t do it in a cool way…)!

I used to think scrapbooking was really lame until I received two awesome ones (one from friends, one from work friends) when I left Britain. I loved them then, but I love them even more now, three years later. If something can make me that happy and sappy, it stops being so lame.

AND you just gave me a great idea for my mom’s Christmas present.

16 PoP November 23, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I have the dream that I will spend my imaginary future pregnancies scrap booking. Random. But I say it all the time and I have shoe boxes full of the most random things from my university exchanges… and I have my photos saved and organised. I’ve planned around my future plans :P Really I should do it before I can’t see my feet but hey I don’t need a big belly for that :P

17 Melanie November 23, 2010 at 3:11 pm

So as I was driving home today I saw that a Hobby Lobby had opened up in my home town! Having only heard of it through your blog, I was super excited to check it out. I went to their website to figure out exactly what was in this magical “Hob Lob” and after oohing and ahhing over the fun decorations, I noticed the nagging “about the company” section, and discovered this section: http://www.hobbylobby.com/our_company/ministry.cfm

And saw they are partners with the Alliance Defense Fund http://www.alliancedefensefund.org, who features such issues as “The Homosexual Agenda: The Principal Threat to Your Religious Freedom”.

Uh oh…

18 Rachel November 23, 2010 at 3:41 pm

OH DAMNIT.

19 Marg November 23, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I think I may be worse, I’m into cardmaking. I suck at doing it and even trying to make time for it. One day I may move on to scrapbooking. When I first got on my kick I got the rolling suitcase thing too! I haven’t pulled it out in months, but want to for Christmas cards.

20 marie November 23, 2010 at 3:35 pm

My mom created TWO massive scrapbook albums that were a gift for my college graduation (perk of being an only child) I treasure them more than anything else I own. They are amazing! She’s making me another one for our engagement/wedding planning. I LOVE this idea of a recipe one!!!! I hope you enjoy your weekend doing it!

21 emily November 23, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Recipe scrapbooking is an awesome idea! I have a recipe binder and I’m sort of obsessed with it. In even more OCD-fabulousness, I also have a binder filled with “good ideas” torn from magazines – make up hints, how to paint a dresser with a potato, what to look for in a dishwasher, etc. …..and a workout binder. But that’s it, I swear!

22 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep November 23, 2010 at 4:36 pm

What a great idea!!! I need to do this!

23 Jess-The Semi Abnormal Gal November 23, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I love this idea….I have retched handwriting, so my scrapbooks are more like expansive photo albums, but I to share the love paper with you. Nice BSC reference work in, btw.

24 Krista November 23, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Your handwriting is AWESOME!!! It looks like it could be a font called “Rachel Hand”. Seriously, I’ve had FedEx packages get lost because FedEx couldn’t read my handwriting! :-\ Somewhere between 1995 and 2010, I gained the ability to type FAST, but lost the ability to write [legibly] by hand.

25 Danielle November 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I used to scrapbook a ton! I store my recipes electronically but would love to have a hard copy on hand and I had never thought to scrabook my recipes! What a fantastic idea! And yes as Krista above said, your handwriting is amazing! You are so lucky! I would definitely have to print my recipes out on the computer if I didn’t want it to look like a child made the book.

26 Ashley November 23, 2010 at 9:37 pm

That is the coolest thing EVER! I really want to get into scrapbooking but I’m just afraid I wouldn’t have the time and the money/supplies would go to waste.

Also, have you ever noticed how everyone in Hob Lob/Michael’s/ACMoore weighs 250+ pounds? I don’ think one sedentary hobby is going to make me gain weight but …. it certainly makes you think …

27 Nicole November 23, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I love this idea! Why didn’t I think of it sooner!

28 kate November 24, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Scrapbooking is the way to secretly remain a hoarder without having piles of stuff around you like on the tv show: every time i go on a trip, I take millions of pictures and save every tiny trinket and ticket, promising my boyfriend “I’m going to scrapbook it !” I have a recipe/housekeeping one too, which is the only way I can part with my Martha Stewarts and Real Simples. You’re not alone Rachel!

29 Elina (Russian Bites) November 28, 2010 at 10:12 am

I LOVE this idea. I actually read about a blogger making her own cookbook with photos of food she took and her family recipe and that’s how the idea of my Russian Bites blog came about. I wanted to do the same, so that meant making recipes and taking pictures of them… so then my husband proposed to take it one step further and blog about it. I wish I knew how to scrapbook. I actually think it’s a really cool skill – it’s the best way to organize memories :)

30 Rachel November 28, 2010 at 10:15 am

Oh girl, if you can learn to blog, you can learn to scrapbook!! I promise, it’s not that hard…choose cute paper, cut, paste!

31 Amy at TheSceneFromMe November 28, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I love you recipe scrapbook. I love to scrapbook too and recently made this shadowbox as a gift for my mom: http://thescenefromme.com/2010/11/21/crafty-carpets/

32 Amy at TheSceneFromMe November 28, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I love your recipe scrapbook, so cute!
I love to scrapbook and recently made this shadowbox for my mom:

33 Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) November 29, 2010 at 1:22 am

I got really into scrapbooking my study abroad experience in college, but I was so slow at it, I have yet to finish it (and I went THREE years ago!). This is a great idea though, I love how you included handwritten cards, as well as photos. Love it!

34 zenlizzie November 29, 2010 at 3:33 am

I may have to steal this idea, except writing things down by hand would mean nobody, not even me, could read them in 20 years. I love that you put pictures of people/events with the recipes.

I also love scrapbooking, but it is easier for me when I have a deadline, like giving it away to someone else. Otherwise, I end up with tons of supplies but no real pages.