Lesson #56: What to Cook Your Boyfriend’s Family for Breakfast

by Rachel on November 27, 2010

So…I actually didn’t cook anything for Eric’s family’s Thanksgiving. It was a discussion Eric and I had several times. I, of course, wanted to come bearing multiple food gifts and make a really impressive side dish or dessert for Thanksgiving dinner. But it sounded like they didn’t really need anything for dinner, and when I’m hosting, I hate when people (my mother) bring something that throws off my dinner plans (we already have enough starches, thanks!) so I didn’t want to be That Girl. So instead of bringing a food gift, I decided to cook a post-Thanksgiving breakfast for everyone.

When it comes to making breakfast for a group, I always go with baked dishes that can be made the night before. I love putting a strata or French toast dish in the oven and then getting down to the business of celebrating. For the big meet-the-parents weekend, I decided to go with baked French toast. I’ve made Ellie Krieger’s baked blueberry and almond French toast for Easter last year and it was delicious, but I wanted something seasonal. Like…pumpkin?

Most def.

I found this recipe for baked pumpkin French toast and was won over because it had normal ingredients and was based on a Cooking Light recipe. That was all I needed to know! I made a couple changes — I cut my bread in cubes and sprinkled pecans on the top before I baked it. It turned out perfectly.

The French toast was a big hit. The pumpkin flavor wasn’t very strong — I definitely tasted the caramel layer more than anything. The recipe sends a message that you are not, in fact, a she-devil and that you can, in fact, take good care of their son. We devoured the whole pan and I’m taking that as a sign that they are going to let him keep me.

1 Lauren at KeepItSweet November 27, 2010 at 12:10 pm

that looks delicious, wish i had made that for breakfast for my family! i totally agree about people bringing food when you have everything all planned out…

2 Dori November 27, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Heavenly!!!! I really can’t live the rest of my life without eating this. And you know how I feel about french toast. So….. when I finally come to Houston, I would like this please.

3 Matt November 27, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Looks awesome! I will be right over for some leftovers ;)

4 Rachel's Mom November 27, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Eh….even with the pumpkin Fench toast I still think you may be a “she-devil.” Hopefully they just don’t ever find out.

5 Meredith @ An Epic Change November 27, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I need an opportunity to make this. Perhaps when I go home for Christmas I’ll make it for my grandparents or something. I need to reaffirm my status as favored grandchild.

6 Rachael November 27, 2010 at 10:17 pm

So how did they rentals take to you whipping out your DSLR and snapping some candid shots of their breakfast before they chowed down? Do they know about your teeny tiny insignificant blog? (note the sarcasm you popular bitch!)

7 Rachel November 28, 2010 at 10:17 am

HA! So funny you should ask that…

I managed to get the shot of the whole dish alone without anyone noticing, but when the big camera came out to shoot my plate, Eric’s mom asked about it. I just took it as an opportunity to tell her about my recipe scrapbook project!

The blog will come in good time…they’ve handled me being half-black pretty well but I don’t want to overwhelm them.

8 Elina (Russian Bites) November 28, 2010 at 10:01 am

Perfect post-Thankgiving breakfast! Glad you had a good holiday and got Eric’s parents’ approval :)