Lesson #57: How to Shoot a Potato Gun

by Rachel on November 28, 2010

Step 1. Watch the menfolk do it first.

Step 2. Put down your margarita.

Step 3. Fill the gun with lots of hairspray (ammo).

Step 4. Ready, aim, then shoot that spud into oblivion.

My mother is so proud right now.

(No, seriously — she thinks I’m some kind of a priss.)

(Showed her!)

We’re packing up the car to head back to Houston — I’ll be back with more details on the holiday weekend tomorrow!

1 Bonnie Bucqueroux November 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Holy shit! I envisioned a popgun that you poked into a potato to shoot a small circle of spud. I had no idea you were talking a tuber bazooka.

2 Jessica November 28, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I love your boots! Would you tell me where you found them? :)

3 Rachel November 29, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Ahhh, these boots!! I love them more than anything else I own and I get asked that honestly every time I wear them…I feel so bad telling people that they are a few years old! They are Steve Madden circa 2006 and I had to go to the darkest corners of the interwebs to find them in a size 9 in brown in 2007!

4 marie November 28, 2010 at 2:09 pm

omg hahahaha this is fantastic. Sean has gun envy after seeing this I think

5 Kaley November 28, 2010 at 2:40 pm

What, no shooting whilst holding your drink?

Amateur.

6 Rachel November 29, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Comment of the day, you.

7 Laura Georgina November 28, 2010 at 4:02 pm

My family needs to get with this potato shooting thing… you and Eric can’t have ALL the fun!

8 Rachel November 29, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I don’t think that you should have guns around when sisters are talking about seeing each other’s bfs’ wangs! Could get dangerous!!

9 Tara November 28, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Wow, I haven’t used a spud gun in ages, but I’m sooo glad to hear I’m not the only one that has enjoyed this festivity. It’s just too much fun to not know about shooting potatoes out of a Macgruber rigged cannon. The important message here is definitely drink a margarita before and look freakin’ fantastic because seriously that is the most perfect, “yeah, I’m shooting potatoes at the neighbor’s kids AND yeah, I just threw down in the kitchen with pumpkin french toast for my future in-laws, what?!” outfit ever. And not to get all parental advisory here, but too many margaritas, too much hairspray, and stuffing totally non-potato items into a POTATO gun can get all kinds of crazy! Watch It!

10 Rachel November 29, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Oh I was perfectly aware of how close I was to being on the 11:00 news, but then again, I have a theory that kids born before 1990 never seem to get hurt doing things that should harm us. Kids after the 90s, on the other hand, are total pussies, allergic to everything and always getting hurt. Ridiculous.

Annnnnyway, thank you for the compliment and I’m so glad to hear that this lovely pasttime is something you enjoyed too!

11 zenlizzie November 29, 2010 at 3:28 am

I’ve always heard about potato guns, but for some reason I was not expecting it to look like that. I thought it would be like super-soaker sized.
Anyway, looks like manly fun!

12 Michelle November 29, 2010 at 9:59 am

I have the same shirt!! target, right?

13 Rachel November 29, 2010 at 4:25 pm

14 Kerry November 29, 2010 at 6:52 pm

You look like a total badass holding the gun. Awesome!

15 Anna November 30, 2010 at 12:21 am

Wow, what makes this seem even more badass in my eyes is the fact that potato guns are illegal where I’m from. Get it girl!

16 Sally December 1, 2010 at 8:20 am

This post totally takes me back to making (and shooting!) potato guns with my dad and brother. Good times!