The Little Box

by Rachel on December 14, 2010

Remember a few weeks ago when Eric asked me for a Christmas wish list?

Eventually I did end up sending him a list. I asked for a new gold charm necklace or a grill.

(Not to be confused with grillz. No…this would be for steak.)

Then last week, he mentioned that he had bought my gift. A couple days later, I was looking for my sunglasses on his dresser when I noticed, front and center, a little white box.

What on earth could be inside?

I am not, as a rule, a gift peeker. I like to be surprised! I actually feel disappointed if people accidentally let what I’m getting for my gift slip.

But that was temptation just staring me in the face.

I wasn’t entirely sure that the box was even for me, so I decided to find out. When Eric came out of the bathroom, I was still standing in front of his dresser. “Hey, have you seen my aviators?” I asked him casually.

I watched him look at the dresser. Then I saw his eyes fall on the box and then I saw them flash with alarm.

Yes! For me!!!

Eric’s reaction was casual.

I raised my eyebrows to look innocent (I don’t know why I felt the need to do this, since I actually was innocent). “No,” I said.

Then casual turned aggressive.

“Why not?” I asked.

Then casual turned aggressive turned ridiculous.

Ohhh….well, that explains it.

Even after Eric left for work, I didn’t open the box. Even over the weekend, when he hadn’t bothered to hide it but had simply just moved it to the back of the dresser, I still didn’t open it. At this point, I didn’t know whether to be happy he trusts me so much or pissed that he’s taunting me.

I think he just knew I wouldn’t peek, because we actually had a conversation about this a couple weeks ago. I said that when I have kids, if I have clear evidence that they peeked, that gift is either going back to the store or going to a sibling. That’s what happens to little boys and girls who snoop. (You know how kids hate it when their parents say, “Life’s not fair”? My kids are going to hate it when I say, “Sorry I’m not sorry,” every time they act like brats.)

Like I said, I’m not a gift peeker. My thing is…what if you don’t like what you see? Sure, then you get to be upset privately and prepare yourself for the big day, but, for me, part of the fun of Christmas is looking forward to your gifts. Knowing your gift isn’t what you wanted takes all the fun out of that. Rather than spend a week working on my fake smile, I’d prefer to simply enjoy the days leading up to it, buzzed on the anticipation of a really good gift, and then go have a private cry in my bedroom later on Christmas Day. (Always claim “allergies.”)

I know you guys had so many funny things to share when I asked about exchanging gift lists with your SO, and today I’m curious to hear about your feelings on peeking. I think peeking is something that just begins in childhood and never really changes. Either you have the “Surprise me!” gene or you don’t. So…are you a peeker or not? Would you have opened the box? Have you ever peeked and been hugely disappointed? Did your parents ever punish you for peeking by not giving your gift?

Do share your tales of Christmas peeking past!

1 Lynn C December 14, 2010 at 9:33 am

I like being surprised. My mother was horrible, absolutely horrible. She used to go under the tree when no one was home and open her gifts and rewrap them days and weeks before Christmas. Crazy woman.

Unfortunately, my husband is not very good with surprises. He’s told me funny stories before christmas involving the purchasing of my gift and in the process of telling me the story, told me the gift. Der! I almost always know what I’m getting for Christmas from him without any effort or sneaking on my part.

2 Jennifer Demartini December 14, 2010 at 9:33 am

I peeked once and saw an awesome present – a new pair of black, closed-toed heels. It totes ruined the surprise and I don’t think I’ll ever peek again!

3 Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing December 14, 2010 at 9:36 am

Whenever I have peeked I’ve always regretted it, so I don’t anymore. I would much rather be surprised.

4 Laura Georgina December 14, 2010 at 9:38 am

You could leave a present for me in a bag on top of the coffee machine and I would put on a blindfold, thwack it to the ground with a spoon, and push it into a closet with a broom JUST to make sure that I can’t even begin to see/feel what it might be. I’m not curious in the LEAST because I so badly want to be surprised by my presents. So, in the lead-up to Christmas, I don’t clean under beds or tidy closets or look under furniture; I’d rather be swallowed alive by the dust than find out what I’m getting.

As for your approach to your future children? That EXACTLY how I’m gonna play it–a present peeked at will be a present returned. I’m going to make a great mean mommy someday!

5 Anna December 14, 2010 at 9:44 am

This wasn’t technically a Christmas gift, but my husband had my engagement ring for a year and a half before he proposed (on Christmas morning, so that was cute). I never looked, even though most of the time he hid in in plain sight. It was worth waiting.

6 Rachel December 14, 2010 at 9:47 am

In plain sight for a year and a half?!? Holy crap.

Also, I like the idea of Christmas morning proposals a LOT! That’s just perfect to me!!

7 Caitlin December 14, 2010 at 10:03 am

umm…am I the only one who sees a correlation here? Rachel loves the idea of Christmas proposals…Rachel and Eric are totes in LURV…Eric has a square box which is clearly for her. Hmmmmmm?

8 Rachel December 14, 2010 at 10:05 am

haha it is DEFINITELY not a ring box! Too big/too SOON!!!!

9 Ashley December 15, 2010 at 7:19 pm

DAMN IT, I was TOTALLY hoping that’s where this was going.

Obviously given my own story, I’m biased, but I don’t think it’s too soon. AT ALL.

10 Lori December 14, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Too big/too SOON? Pshaw. That’s exactly what I thought when I saw that box!

11 Anna December 14, 2010 at 10:45 am

Yes. As in, on his DESK and such. I wanted to look so badly, and I totally admit that I opened the OUTER box–it was in two decorative boxes–and stared at the inner one a few times.

I LOVED the Christmas proposal, which is why I may have hinted at it more than once. My favorite holiday combined with a shiny ring = best thing ever.

12 Allie Finch December 14, 2010 at 11:06 am

My husband proposed during a lovely stroll amidst the lights & snow on Christmas Eve! I didn’t hint because I didn’t know how much I loved the idea of it. Good man. :)
I am definitely a non-peeker & totally disappointed if I know beforehand. Being surprised is as much a part of the gift as the gift itself.

13 emily December 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I got a Christmas morning proposal as well, for us it ended up being the perfect day for it!

14 Rachel December 14, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Jealous of all these Christmassy proposals! Maybe in 2011!!

15 caitie December 14, 2010 at 11:28 pm

wait why did he have the engagement ring for 1.5 years before proposing? that seems crazy!!

16 Ashley December 15, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I’m wondering the same thing.

I did not want a Christmas or birthday proposal. I would have taken Valentine’s Day because I am THAT girl, but we were long-distance and didn’t get to go ring shopping until the day after V-Day and then it had to be re-sized, so our engagement anniversary is Feb. 19. I like having another random day to celebrate!

17 nicole December 14, 2010 at 9:50 am

I was a huge peeker when I was little. The second my parents left the house I was searching everywhere for gifts, and I don’t think they ever knew. I’m 28 and somewhere along the line I’ve grown out of it. I think it’s because I’m married and have a kid, so the excitement is directed toward making his Christmas great. That being said, I’m pretty sure my 8 year old has inherited my peeking gene. He’ll nonchalantly say “I really hope I get that camo vest from Old Navy that I asked for”, and we both know it’s just sitting upstairs in my closet. I used to do the same thing! I don’t know which is worse – the fact that I suck at hiding presents, or that I gave birth to a child who likes camouflage.

18 Rachel December 14, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I just snorted at that.

19 Triz December 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Oh, that’s awfully sweet though … he doesn’t want you to worry that you might have picked a bad present. :)

20 Manon December 14, 2010 at 9:57 am

I 99.9% of the time won’t peek…I LOVE surprises! Of course, since my Dad thinks he’s freakin’ Santa Claus, I pretty much just give my parents a list and get everything on it, so there isn’t much surprise. I did peek once and knew what my boyfriend had gotten me, and despite the fact I LOOOOOVED it, since I knew what it was when I opened it, he didn’t get the “OH MY GOD, YOU’RE THE BEST BF EVER!!!” response he was looking for…I mean, he got it when I was alone snooping through his drawers, which I eventually I came clean on–I didn’t want him thinking I was an ungrateful little bitch and screw myself over on future gifts :)

21 Bridgette December 14, 2010 at 10:03 am

I love surprises. And I never want to know what I’m getting for holiday gifts. However, I’m horribly at keeping secret what I got. I get so excited about the gifts I’m giving people that it manages to slip out. And my boyfriend, who doesn’t like surprises, always knows the exact questions to ask to get the answer. “What did you talk to your mom about today?” “Oh yeah, what did you tell her?” And boom, I’ve said it and he’s laughing and I’m pouting.

22 Diane December 14, 2010 at 10:08 am

I used to be a really ineffective gift peeker. I would spend hours shaking the box and trying to feel through the wrapping paper, but I knew better than to actually open it. It was the “just the tip” style of peeking, for sure. My mom got so annoyed with me that she started hiding the presents until Christmas Eve. This worked because even though I knew where she hid them (in the basement, in a space between the heating ducts and the ceiling), I was terrified of our unfinished basement. The blind reach (I’m short, so standing on a chair didn’t help) and the spider potential alone cured me of my peeking habit.

I’m still a little scared of my basement and I’m 23. I’ve owned it.

23 Christie December 14, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Ha! I can beat you on that. I am 23 years old and absolutely TERRIFIED of the dark. Absolutely freak out if I have to go outside after sunset alone (which is like 5 pm now!)

I freak out if I can’t see in my bedroom at night. I’ve owned it. after a bit of squealing.

24 Diane December 14, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Yep, it’s the worst! I’m not a huge fan of the dark, either. I have the worst night vision, so I carry a little LED flashlight on my keychain wherever I go.

25 Stina December 14, 2010 at 10:12 am

As kids my brother and I were HORRIBLE peekers! My parent’s actually started hiding our gifts at the neighbor’s house across the street so there would be no chance of us finding them.

I don’t usually peek any more. I love surprises, but sometimes my curiosity gets the best of me. Right now I’m absolutely DYING to find out what the boy is getting/ doing for me for Christmas. I know it involves my brotehr, and I don’t get it until I get back from Mexico on the 30th so he’ll have time to get it together. I’m not sure if I’m excited or terrified, but either way I can’t freaking wait!!

26 Rachel December 14, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Ahh that’s exciting! Now I want to know what you’re getting…do come back and share!

27 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write December 14, 2010 at 10:24 am

I don’t think I’ve ever peeked. I want the surprise too much. But, with my husband, I don’t have to. He gets excited when he buys me something and hints, even though he doesn’t really intend to.

28 Laura December 14, 2010 at 10:29 am

I don’t remember peeking for Christmas but once my sister and I found the Easter candy in a closet when we were young and our punishment was my mom giving us the candy and saying she gave up. That was the worst because then there were no Easter baskets or Eater egg hunts that year, what a bummer. I think I leanred my lesson that year. However this year, I have to admit that I have been attempting to peek but I haven’t even seen a sign of a gift from the boy. It’s our first Christmas living together so I guess I figured he would suck at hiding stuff…or he just hasn’t actually bought me anything *sigh*

29 Annie December 14, 2010 at 10:29 am

I don’t exactly have the opportunity to peek. When my mom puts presents under the tree before Christmas morning, she doesn’t write our names on them (I’m one of four kids) — she makes up this ridiculous code so we don’t know which presents are ours. She started this about six years ago… I guess she got sick of me shaking all my presents.

30 Rachel December 14, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Well, that is just downright brilliant. Props to your mom.

31 jenna December 15, 2010 at 12:18 am

my does this too! starting the year after i opened every single one of my presents, my mom just wraps everyone’s in their own color and doesn’t tell us whose paper is whose until right before we open them on Christmas eve.

rachel, i’m glad you clarified what type of grill you asked for. because i honestly did think you meant you wanted some bling for your teeth (as a joke)…
i’m definitely a peeker, so i would’ve MADE him take the box with him and hide it somewhere legit.

32 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers December 14, 2010 at 10:36 am

i am 100% a peeker. everyone close to me knows this and goes to extreme lengths to hide my gifts from me. when i was growing up, i would always find christmas gifts before the big day until one year my mom got smart and hid all of our gifts inside suitcases in the basement. i never thought to look there and she used that spot for YEARS. she only told me her secrets when we moved from florida to illinois.

33 Elise December 14, 2010 at 10:41 am

I try my hardest not to peek, but honestly, with my family, we don’t really have to. My dad loves shopping for Christmas presents, that he usually comes home and immediately pulls everything out of shopping bags and says “LOOK WHAT I GOT YOU FOR CHRISTMAS!”

34 Elise December 14, 2010 at 10:42 am

Excuse my faulty grammar. I don’t speak enough English.

My dad loves shopping for gifts, SO MUCH that he usually comes home and immediately pulls everything out of shopping bags and says “LOOK AT WHAT I GOT YOU FOR CHRISTMAS!”

35 Kristen December 14, 2010 at 10:55 am

I’m definitley not a peeker. I learned my lesson back in high school when I peeked at what my high school boyfriend had gotten me and then spent the next two weeks quelling my immense disappointment. These days, I can just tell what I’m getting. My husband does the whole, “Ohhh, so if you were to get this Garmin, what color would you want?” It’s just kind of a dead giveaway, so there’s no peeking necessary.

Also, literal LOL in regards to, “My kids are going to hate it when I say, “Sorry I’m not sorry,” every time they act like brats.” We need more of these parenting strategies.

36 Angela December 14, 2010 at 11:40 am

When I was a little girl, I would search high and low for presents. Then I would unwrap them and rewrap them.

Now, as an adult, I want to be surprised. This can be difficult with Bob, as he gets so excited about giving me presents that he often can’t contain himself and blurts out the name of the present. That’s right, premature gift dispensation. It’s real.

37 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle December 14, 2010 at 11:47 am

You bet your ass I would have ripped open that box! I am not a surprise lover (unless I don’t know it’s coming) but if I am aware that there is a surprise coming, I can’t stand it until I know.

38 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 14, 2010 at 11:50 am

I am a peeker. Basically, I don’t do willpower. Had I been in your situation, I would have been able to resist peeking only long enough to run to the shower and tell Ryan to “Hide the present, Stat!!”

This applies to other areas of my life in that I am very very prone to running to the wikipedia plot summary when in the midst of a particularly anxiety-provoking thriller. I almost always regret it, yet I just don’t learn.

39 Rachel December 14, 2010 at 5:32 pm

LOL are you serious? You ruin the end of movies for yourself?? Too funny!

40 Claire December 16, 2010 at 1:06 am

I definitely ruin thrillers for myself, too… I don’t want to pee myself when something really scary happens when I’m all alone in the dark… but then I always regret looking. I never learn!

41 Marg December 14, 2010 at 11:56 am

I don’t like to peek, more fun to be surprised. I did think I had cruise tickets this year, but it was just marketing junk mail!

42 Tenecia December 14, 2010 at 11:58 am

I never had the chance to peek at my gifts when I was a kid because my parents wouldn’t put our gifts under the tree until we were asleep on Christmas Eve. That’s right…our tree had NADA under it the weeks leading up to Christmas…and then boom…presents on Christmas Day!! Plus, my mom is heavy-handed and if she found out I was trying to be nosey, she would have whooped my behind!!! :)

I’ve told my daughter that if she even thinks about looking for her gifts, I will take them back to the store and spend that money on a new Coach purse. Then, every time she sees my purse she can think of how she ruined Christmas for herself. Yep, I’m that kind of mom!!

T.

43 Christie December 14, 2010 at 1:20 pm

That’s hilarious. And that is why I couldn’t have kids, I’d want that new coach purse anyway and be secretly hoping my kid would peek.

44 Rachel December 14, 2010 at 5:32 pm

omg that is a great idea. I want to be a mom like that!!

45 fattyfile December 14, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I am still traumatized from finding a Babysitters Club board game stashed under my parents’ bed one year and then receiving it on Christmas morning… from Santa. Yep, that’s how I found out there was no big guy in a red suit. So sad. I was upset for weeks.

46 Robyn December 14, 2010 at 12:16 pm

My brother and I peeked in our Christmas presents when I was in middle school. It was a masterful plan . . . we were carefully unwrapping part of our presents so we could see what was inside, then refolding and aligning the tape just right so we could continue our mischief undetected . . . until my dad happened to pick up a wrapped football (honestly, don’t know why my brother felt the need to peek — it was pretty obvious even while fully wrapped) and noticed the spot on the wrapping paper where the tape had pulled up the finish and exposed the white. (Good going, Ian.) We were busted. I don’t really remember what happened in the way of punishment, but there were threats to take all the presents back that were met with tearful eyes and quivering lower lips.

But the parents weren’t done at that point and there were more presents to buy. Mysteriously, two HUGE boxes appeared under the tree — one labeled “To Nana, From Robyn” and the other labeled “To Nana, From Ian.” We couldn’t figure it out — had Mom said what we were giving Nana? Was she in need of new tires? (They were big boxes.) On Christmas morning, we learned that they were actually for us but Dad had cleverly labeled them to throw us off the scent and discourage any more present-peeking. It worked like a charm. There were definitely some peeks in the future (we got better at it, though), but now it doesn’t phase me or make me want to peek to have Christmas presents around . . . save for last year when I told my boyfriend I’d wait to open my present until New Year’s when we would be seeing each other and he’d be getting his present. Well, a box from Tiffany’s showed up at my apartment. I think it was on my counter for 15 minutes (if that) before I gave in . . . Haha.

47 Rachel December 14, 2010 at 5:34 pm

haha that’s a great idea your parents had!! and yeah, if that box had been blue and not white, I can’t promise I would have been so strong.

48 Elisabeth December 14, 2010 at 12:43 pm

My brothers and I were very into finding our gifts before Christmas… Over the years, my parents had to move their hiding spot from our basement, to our attic, to a locked shed, and finally to a family friend’s house… Oops. And I remember one year when I guessed what my present was right before I opened it (I swear it was just a guess!!), and no one would believe that I hadn’t peaked. I think I’ve matured a bit though, because nowadays I definitely like to be surprised, and have learned to be (a little) more patient. After all, the days (and weeks) leading up to Christmas, when the air is buzzing with cheer and secrets, are the most wonderful time of the year! :D

49 APaz December 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm

This is my favorite peeking story. I’m NOT a peeker and never have been. In fact, like you, I feel angry when someone leaves a gift out where I can see. I shut my eyes and flee. But one year, my brother PEEKED. And oh boy, Mom let him have it. This was back when the hand held Sega game gear first came out. My mother had bought it for him and kept it in the old closet, and he apparently couldn’t resist. I don’t know how Mom found out, but on Xmas morning, he unwrapped the box, acted all excited and surprised…I was completely fooled, and my brother is aTERRIBLE actor, so he must have been working on it. However, his smile turned upside down when he opened the box to discover a BIG BAG OF USED CAT LITTER. Then it was Mom’s turn to smile. Poetic justice.

50 Christie December 14, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Not a Christmas story, but I was fishing for hints from my boyfriend what he got me for our anniversary. He had gotten his gift a few days early because he had intercepted the UPS man and since it was addressed to him, opened it. Grumble! I wasn’t getting any hints and I kept pestering. Finally I asked “Will I like it?” to which he responded “I hope so, or I am ruined for life!” Naturally this set off bells, and he realized he slipped, clamped up and would not speak on the subject again.

The day of our anniversary he was very jumpy and skittish so I knew what was up. I just *knew* he was going to propose. I called my mom, panicky/excited and she told me “I know what he got you *dont be disappointed*” and hung up. So naturally, crestfallen, we go to dinner and he pulls out a jewelry box. Inside was a ring pop sucker. I wanted to cry so badly. Then I look up and try to laugh it off, there he is with the most gorgeous ring. .75 carat emerald cut diamond (nearly flawless) accented by baguette diamonds. It was 2 sizes too small, but I still wore it anyway.

Even though I “knew” what it was, I had no idea what it WAS you know?? Best. Gift. Ever.

Interesting side story- the day he went and bought the ring, that night I had a dream he gave me an engagement ring which looked exactly like the ring I got, except it was a round cut instead of emerald. I hate round cuts! I come to find out that my ring originally had a round cut in it, and they exchanged it for the emerald cut- I had never mentioned to him that I didn’t like round/loved emerald.

51 Rachel December 14, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Oh, I love this story! So glad he got your mom to throw you off!!

52 Brie @ Brie Fit December 14, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I don’t have to peek. My husband is a five-year-old when it comes to gift-giving…as soon as he buys me something, he wants to give it to me, or tell me what it is, IMMEDIATELY. He gets too excited to wait. He tried to get me to open two of my gifts last weekend and I had to yell at him and tell him that I wanted to wait or I wouldn’t have any gifts come Christmas. He would totally fail the marshmallow test they give preschoolers…delayed gratification is not his thing.

This is why he proposed before he even bought the engagement ring…he decided he was going to propose and couldn’t possibly wait a moment longer to do it, so he did. And then he was all, “Damn, that was bad, I’m sorry, I just got too excited, I should have a ring” and it was cute. And then we bought a ring a few days later.

53 Smash December 14, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I am SUCH a peeker! So proud that you didn’t peek though… excited to see what your surprise is… unless it’s that dumb “Open Heart” snake-looking necklace from Kay. Blech.

54 Rachel December 14, 2010 at 5:36 pm

The other day during a Kay commercial, I said a loud and direct “GROSS”…I REALLY hope it’s not something awful!

I didn’t trust him enough to choose a necklace on his own — I’m way too picky about jewelry for that — so I sent him a list of five and was like, “I strongly recommend one of these. Or this grill.”

55 Bridget@PavementandPlants December 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I was a total peeker when I was little, but I’ve definitly grown out of it. I love being surprised either in the good way “OH I didn’t even know I wanted this but I LOVE it” or “This is so totally ridiculous and I’m surprised you spent money on it” kinda way.

For my birthday, I once got a crystal bear. Like, a really expensive tiny crystal bear. Please tell me what a 21 year old college student does with that? That was a surprise for sure. (Side note: What 21 year old college boy buys that for a girl?!)

56 Rachel's Mom December 14, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Well if you did have the “peeking gene” it came from me, for sure. I am sure I told you about the year I got up in the middle of the night, saw that Santa had been at our house, found a rectangle box with my name on it, and then pulled the end of the wrapping open to make sure it was the tape recorder I wanted. I simply stuck the tape back on and went back to bed with a smile on my face. :)

57 Kaytee December 14, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I’m usually the worst about accidentally telling people what I got them on accident (or going crazy & spilling the beans on purpose because I just couldn’t stand it anymore), so I USUALLY won’t peek.

HOWEVER, there was one occassion I did… my birthday 2 years ago. My then-boyfriend shoved a bag in his closet after being so shady about where he had been. Then I saw on his iPhone when looking for directions that he had looked up a jewelry store (!!!!) and while I didn’t actually open the box, I totally looked in the bag to see what size the wrapped box was, you know, just to prepared myself.

58 Mandy December 14, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I used to peek when i was little. I was just so excited and I really wanted to know what I was getting. But I don’t think it was ever worth it.

Now i like being surprised. No sense in having a big opening gifts day if you’re going to know what you’re getting. I can wait.

59 Janetha G - meals & moves December 14, 2010 at 2:54 pm

you reminded me of the time i was little–maybe 6? i took all of my presents from under the tree, unwrapped them all very carefully, saw what they were, and wrapped them back up. i knew that the only person touching the presents after that would be me, because they were already under the tree, so i wasn’t worried about them looking like they’d been re-wrapped.

it was the worst christmas ever. no surprises. it was so sad.

i will never peek again!

60 Cyndie December 14, 2010 at 2:58 pm

oh man, I ALWAYS peek. It definitely ruins the fun, but I can’t help it!! I like being surprised, but sometimes I just want to know immediately.

61 Elisabeth December 14, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I’m kind of suspicious of this little white box, Rachel. =)

So I must admit that I did peek at a gift 2 weeks ago, but mostly because I wanted to make sure that the boots he bought me actually fit. I did this because the boots were really difficult to find, and I wanted to be able to take care of an exchange THEN before things got really wacky with Christmas. But…he bought them off my Amazon list, so it wasn’t entirely a surprise anyway.

As a general rule, I am not a peeker. I LOVE SURPRISES!! When I was 12, I carefully removed the tape on all of my Christmas presents so that I could peek. I thought I was so clever, but my Mom caught on when she saw some tears in the wrapping paper and strange marks where I had torn off the tape. I thought I was slick, but not as slick as Mom was. She threatened to withhold all of my gifts that year, but didn’t.

In hindsight, she probably should have in order to teach me a lesson. However, the mere fact that I got caught stopped me from peeking after that. I realized that my mom isn’t a moron like I thought originally!

62 maria @ Chasing the Now December 14, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I was a peeker as a kid, but I’m not as an adult. If I found a gift sitting out I wouldn’t open it if I thought there was any chance it was for me. But, if I somehow came across something that was obviously for me on accident, I wouldn’t tell my SO. I’d still just act surprised.

63 angela December 14, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I’m glad you didn’t peek, it would have ruined it! I personally think he’s hiding a grill in that tiny box, don’t you?

I prefer to be surprised. But the temptation would kill me if it sat in front of me for too long, all unwrapped like that. Which I guess is why my husband immediately wraps my presents the second they’re here. ;)

64 Rachel December 14, 2010 at 5:39 pm

LOL at the idea of a grill in the tiny box. That just sounds so adorable!

I’m actually curious to see if he wraps if. I’m not sure Eric knows how to wrap gifts.

65 VBG December 14, 2010 at 6:26 pm

So I inadvertently discovered my xmas gift this weekend from my SO. It is a portrait done of a great picture of us. I think it is a sweet idea. But I really really don’t care for the aesthetics (ok, the truth is I hate them) of this type of thing. I can certainly fake the smile on xmas day but there is no way in hell I want that thing hanging in my house anywhere. Not sure how to break the news of how awful of a gift this is. At least in my case I have a few weeks to come up with an idea.

66 Paige December 14, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I am not a peeker and I don’t remember ever wanting to, really. I am all about being surprised. I might pick up a box once and shake it, but them I’m mostly like, “Cool. I wonder what it is. I will wait.”

My boyfriend, on the other hand, cannot be left alone if he knows that there is a gift for him somewhere in the house. I’d never leave an unwrapped box in his reach. He’s also an aggressive gift shaker. I’ve double-boxed and weighted some of his gifts in an attempt to add an element of surprise, since he’s so snoopy!

67 Becca December 14, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I’m totally a peeker, so much so that my boyfriend has my presents at his parents house so even if I snoop (which I haven’t had time for this year) I won’t find them. I just hate waiting for surprises, I’d rather just not know. Please don’t tempt me!

68 Cynthia (It All Changes) December 14, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I love surprise but you better keep them away from me. Because it is so taunting to have it in front of you.

Hunni and I don’t usually exchange gifts. Instead we make it an “us” day because our crazy work schedule is done. This year we each wanted one specific thing and we opened it right away because we knew what they were.

69 Carmen (Goodbye Gorda) December 14, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Last year, I stupidly peeked and ruined the surprise, my first pair of diamond earrings from my boyfriend. He wanted to see the surprised happy look on my face, and it was so hard to recreate. I will never peek again!

70 Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal December 14, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I was totally a sneak when I was a little kid….it all started after the year my dad ruined Santa Claus for me by leaving the Toys R Us receipt out on the kitchen counter. I read everything….always have, always will, and dammit if I didn’t read my Real Baby Doll on that little slip of paper.

I always had a rule for myself….I could only peak at one bag of the items (Mom always put them in paper bags in the the garage closet) so I had 1/2 surprises. Now I don’t care and enjoy opening everything on Christmas Day.

71 MelissaNibbles December 15, 2010 at 4:24 am

You’re a good girlfriend Rachel. I used to peek when I was little. I even unwrapped presents that were under the tree a few days before Christmas. That was until I got caught and my mom cancelled Christmas. She changed her mind on Christmas of course, but I never peeked again after that. I was only 9 I think so it was okay.

72 Clare @ Fitting It All In December 15, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I am NOT a peeker! I love the surprise on the day!

73 Claire December 16, 2010 at 1:11 am

I really hate peeking– every time I’ve accidentally (or purposefully– like the time I looked under the loose wrapping paper at the huge box my grandma had gotten me, only to discover it was a BARBIE HOUSE) peeked, I always feel bad afterward. 1) You’ve ruined the surprise, and now you have to fake surprise when you actually open the present for real. 2) There’s nothing else to anticipate.

So… long story short, I never peek if I can help it.

74 Danielle December 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I never peek. I love the anticipation of gifts and especially the surprise of not knowing what it is. That’s what I always give a “suggestions” list instead of a an actual list… I don’t want to know — it ruins all the fun. The only exception is my boyfriend’s mom, who insists I give her an exact list. It makes everyone happier and more peaceful if I oblige.