I’m Spent: Last Minute Gifts

by Rachel on December 15, 2010

I’ve already given you some gifting suggestions this year and I went balls-out with four gift guides last year, but I thought I’d share a few more ideas if, like me, you haven’t bought any gifts yet.

Anyone else out there who hasn’t bought any holiday gifts yet? I wish I could say I had more under my tree, but this weather has me convinced I have a few more months. Oh, wait, Black Friday was weeks ago? Uh…Amazon to the rescue!

Actually, in general, I usually buy Christmas gifts around this time. A broke-ass ho has to save up for this, you know? The moment I get that one healthy paycheck (a couple of years ago, it wasn’t until Dec. 19!) I place one big order on Amazon and have it sent to my house in Michigan so I don’t have to worry about transporting everything home.

Speaking of Amazon, one of the best gift ideas I’ve heard yet this year was the idea to give an Amazon Prime membership. I love my Prime membership. It’s around $80 for the year, but I went in on it with friends (you can have four people on the account) and so it only cost $20 and I get free two-day shipping on pretty much everything. It’s paid for itself in the money I’ve saved not having to buy things in a traditional bookstore (or grocery store — I buy things like coconut oil on Amazon for way cheaper than I would at the grocery store!) I don’t know many people who wouldn’t use it, so I see it as a nearly perfect gift. You could buy it for yourself and then share it with friends for a holiday gift.

Anyway, here are a few more things I’m loving right now. There is no theme with this list, no stereotypical person who these things are perfect for (moms like to bake! boys like to grill! sister likes sequins!) — these are just my favorite things that might be just right for the last person on your list!

Monogrammed Vintage Custom Tote from The Wedding Chicks

This is definitely not just for brides and bridesmaids! It’s adorable for anyone who totes her things around! The monogram comes in tons of cool colors, so you can come up with a combination that is perfect for your giftee. I bought myself one a couple months ago and I still love it.

Hello, I Love You Tee

Hello, I love it.

Nice Jewish Guys Calendar 2011

Everything about this is awesome!

Teensy State Charms

Adorable, inexpensive…can’t miss. I love mine!

Handmade State Pillows

What can I say? I’m loving all things state-related since I moved. I just think that so many people are far from home these days, and things like this are a sweet way to represent your homeland, and a great gift for someone who is far, far away.

Oh Dier Wooden Signs

I am not sure if these are guaranteed for delivery by Christmas, but they too great to not share. Even choosing one is tough, but that one is my personal fave.

Get the Hint Stickies

Why I Must Have Sex With You notepad

OK, let’s be honest…off-color office supplies are the way to my heart.

That’s all I got.

And also, I really, really need to do my Christmas shopping.

1 Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 15, 2010 at 10:09 am

I love some of these ideas- esp the Amazon prime membership. Bad if I buy it for myself…? ;)

2 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 15, 2010 at 10:12 am

I haven’t bought any presents yet either. So basically this year is just like all other years. Although I plan to get started before the 24th this year. Baby steps!

3 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations December 15, 2010 at 10:16 am

Funny, I was just telling someone at work yesterday about the time I was doing shopping on Christmas Eve at 3 in the afternoon. Not good. This year, I plan to be done by the 23rd.

4 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations December 15, 2010 at 10:15 am

I gotta admit those office supplies kind of make my day.

And I fully understand about state things. Since moving away from Home Sweet Ohio, I’ve been singing the praises of the Great State of Ohio (established in 1803) to everyone who will listen. People probably think, “If it’s so great, why did you leave?” Well, because I received a job offer elsewhere before I got a job offer in Ohio during my intensive interviewing period. Ohio will always have my heart!!

5 Manon December 15, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I was the SAME WAY when I moved from Iowa to Texas….not that I didn’t fall madly deeply in LOVE with Austin, but I was ALWAYS talking about how much I looooooooved my home state!

6 Caitlin December 15, 2010 at 10:33 am

Fact: I am only 50% done with my holiday shopping and so far only one thing I ordered has actually been delivered (thanks a lot, Borders.com) I totally blame the weather. I mean, we are wearing flip flops and to a Northerner, that does not a December make! I never knew about the Amazon Prime Membership. I’m going to keep that in mind for sure!

7 Manon December 15, 2010 at 10:42 am

You b word. I’m have only bought ONE xmas gift, but I’ve bought about 100 for me. And now, thanks to this list, I have more things I want to buy for ME, because I’m a selfish bitch. I did put that charm necklace on my list already, but seeing as how my mother is having some kind of panic attack because she hasn’t started shopping, I’m not sure I’m going to get it :(

8 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write December 15, 2010 at 10:47 am

EEE! I clicked through to the Oh Dier etsy shop. It made me squeal OMG like a sorority sister. I want them all. I want the CA one and the ADORE one.

These are great picks, girlio.

9 Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing December 15, 2010 at 10:51 am

I am in love with my Amazon Prime membership. I spent $400 on 19 items from 6 sellers going to 5 addresses and only paid $10 for shipping for a couple of items that didn’t qualify for prime. LOVE!

10 Angela December 15, 2010 at 11:04 am

I don’t shop until the week of, as like you said, have to save up money. And I love my Amazon Prime membership – I’m totally getting it again next year. I love ordering a $5 product and not having to pay more on shipping as well as ordering a need-it-right-now product and getting the option to have one day shipping for $3.99.

11 J @ Js Everyday Fashion December 15, 2010 at 11:09 am

That state necklace is so cute!! And the Get the Hint stickies are genius. The state pillow however is kind of creeping me out. I must be a perv because it looks oddly phallic to me!! haha

12 Janna December 15, 2010 at 11:13 am

Ahhh I want the Nice Jewish Guys Calender and the Hello I love you shirt!!!!!!…And an Amazon Prime Membership! I will just have to direct my friends to your gift guide, so they can by ME all this stuff. Haha.

13 Paige December 15, 2010 at 11:23 am

Off-color office supplies are always a win.

Also, as far as Amazon Prime memberships go, if you happen to have a student email account, you can get it free for a year by signing up here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Maybe everyone in the world already knows this. I just discovered it recently and was pretttty excited. It’s definitely fueled a number of Amazon shopping sprees.

14 Paige December 15, 2010 at 11:28 am

Of course, this wouldn’t be particularly awesome as a gift to someone else. But still. As a gift for me it was pretty sweet.

15 Laura December 15, 2010 at 11:37 am

I’m getting the fucking stickies for my boss, along with the holy shit and load of crap ones. :)

16 Cyndie December 15, 2010 at 11:57 am

I LOVE state-themed gifts (want that necklace fo’ myself) because I live in the coolest shaped state = Michigan.

17 angela December 15, 2010 at 12:00 pm

My brother has been paying for amazon prime for years and letting me and a couple other family members use it. The gift that keeps on giving. ;)

18 Cory December 15, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Just bought the “California” state necklace for myself as a Christmas…They are soo cute! Thanks for the suggestion Rachel!

19 Rachel December 15, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Oh, fabulous! Enjoy!!

20 Allison December 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I did not know you could split an amazon prime membership?! That’s awesome! I had the free trial for a month and loved it (hello new blender, new books, and tons of other things I don’t need but can have shipped to me in two days for free!) Def. going to find some amazon prime partners and get signed up. :)

21 Lauren at KeepItSweet December 15, 2010 at 1:25 pm

i love the hint stickers, obsessed!

22 Smash December 15, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Good ideas! In love with those stickies. We’ve only bought 2 gifts so far. Waiting for this Friday’s check, then if we need to, his check on the 23rd! :oX

23 MelissaNibbles December 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I want that calendar!

24 amy December 15, 2010 at 5:42 pm

might have to get the jewish guys calendar…for myself.

25 Sarah December 15, 2010 at 9:23 pm

fairly sure i’m related to like 12 of the people in the nice Jewish guys calendar…

26 Dori December 15, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I love the notepad! I sent it to a few guys and specifically asked one to get it for me so I could send him one reason every day and then he can decide if it is good enough. But no one will buy it for me.

27 Ayla December 15, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Ahahahaha!! I love the last two and desperately want those stickies and that notepad.

I still have some presents to buy but by tomorrow night I will finally be all done. Finally.

28 Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal December 15, 2010 at 11:16 pm

I have the sticky flags in several varieties and LOVE them.

Rachel-have you found the mecca that is perpetualkid.com? I do 85% of my gift shopping there. I think you will love it as much as me.

29 Aj December 16, 2010 at 12:49 am

Those sticky notes are beyond…and probably not appropriate for my office.

I love the state necklaces.

How many of these can I get for myself?

30 Shane December 16, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Thank you for this! I bought the calendar for my cousin last night as a belated Chanukkah gift…I kind of want to buy one for myself..hehe.

31 Rachel December 16, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Awww that makes me happy to hear! I wouldn’t blame you for buying yourself one too!!