Lesson #60: How to Host a Tree Decorating Party for Two

by Rachel on December 16, 2010

When you love Christmas as much as I do, you can’t help but get excited when the time comes to decorate. Especially when you’ve spent two decades single and now you get to force invite someone to join you for the first time.

Step 1. Put on festive decorating gear.

Step 2. Choose seasonal entertainment.

I consider it criminal to decorate a tree or wrap presents without something holiday-related on in the background.

3. Whip up some deliciously festive finger food.

I went with Martha Stewart’s fondue — it just doesn’t feel like a holiday party unless cocktail weenies are involved.

Step 4. Unpack the wares from your latest Michael’s/Bath & Body Works/Wal-Mart bender and get decorating.

Step 5. Don’t forget to pour yourself a drink.

I decided to try my hand at homemade egg nog. Despite the fact that I nearly scrambled the eggs, it turned out pretty well!

Step 6. Admire your handiwork.

Step 7. Slip into your best Christmas pajamas.

The pom-poms on the front? Cute. The pom-pom on the “V” of the thong? Unnecessary. Nothing ruins the moment like your boyfriend asking you if you have a tail.

Step 8. Be merry!

(A very you’ve-just-watched-Love-Actually-and-are-full-of-cheese-and-drunk-on-egg-nog-and-loving-the-Christmas-lights-so-you’ll-think-you-make-the-best-Santa’s-naughty-little-helper kind of merry.)

1 erin m. {{well in l.a.}} December 16, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Adorable entry! I have a Christmas tree waiting to be decked. Rachel’s lessons noted :)

2 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write December 16, 2010 at 2:36 pm

lol. I love the part about the pom-poms. I cannot even think of a time I put on lingerie and my husband didn’t have some kind of issue. Why are there bows? Where is the zipper? How do I undo these clasps? Oh, woops, you mean, these weren’t supposed to untie? You paid how much for this?!? Let’s just say, we’ve (sadly) moved on from our lingerie days. :p

3 Jackie (ananda prana) December 16, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Hahaha I love it:) Except I usually end up on a Target bender more than any other store…

4 Rachel December 17, 2010 at 9:15 am

Um, I’m not allowed to go on Target benders anymore, especially because Target + holiday stuff = disaster for me. Eric and I had a very unfortunate incident a few weeks ago when he would NOT indulge me and just admit that this gold reindeer was the most perfect thing ever.

5 Manon December 17, 2010 at 10:01 am

OMG….as if I wasn’t bad enough already, now I have extra justification since I get 5% off EVERYTHING when I use my target credit card. You’d think it was 50% off the way I use it as an excuse to buy everything.

6 Kayla @ Let's Live Wholesome December 17, 2010 at 10:04 am

Loving the decorations on your tree! And the pom pommy lingerie. I’m currently living at home with the rents, so wearing pom pommy lingerie and decorating my own tree sounds like a luxury right now, ha!

7 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write December 17, 2010 at 3:22 pm

PS I went to Bath and Body Works and saw your little white Christmas bowl (above). I love it. Super cute!

8 Allie {Cook Read Run} December 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Bahaha! You are hilarious and your Christmas cards crack me up!

9 zenlizzie December 17, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Your decorations and party wear are so classy and festive. I don’t think I’ve reached a point in my life where sexytime clothes can also be coordinated and classy, much less seasonal.