It’s Better to Give…But Receiving Is Nice Too

by Rachel on December 21, 2010

After Fake Christmas Eve on Saturday night, Eric and I woke up bright and early for Fake Christmas!

I’m not going to lie: I was really excited. Like really excited! I love gifting.

And also, that damn little white box had been haunting me for more than a week!

I could barely take it anymore!

But just like on real Christmas, we did breakfast first. Once thoroughly full of spiked egg nog, cranberry walnut orange bread, and bacon, we moved on to our gifts.

But first, we had to do stockings!

Eric’s stocking had gingerbread, peppermint bark, a nutcracker (something he desperately needed for the bag of chestnuts he bought last week), and eyeglass cleaning wipes (something I desperately needed him to have because his dirty glasses drive me crazy). My stocking? Had Christmas lottery tickets — two days before I had just been talking about how I think lottery tickets are a great addition to a gift! — and other fun treats.

Why hello, little pints of tequila!

The one with the purple label is espresso tequila and comes with a recipe for some sort of fabulous smoothie involving coffee-flavored ice cream!

“Want to take a shot?” I asked Eric.

I mean, yes, it was 9 AM on a Sunday but it was a fake holiday.

He refused my offer, so we moved onto the main event.

Eric went first.

First, he opened his card, a gem I found on Etsy via Pretty in Orange.

The upup shop has tons of funny cards like that one — I highly recommend checking it out.

Anyway, once Eric got through the card, he unwrapped a docking station for his iPhone, something he’s been saying he wanted for a couple of months.

I suggested he start throwing some wicked dance parties. Neither of us dance, but the sound was so good, it almost made me consider it.

Next, he unwrapped a new alarm clock.

You see, my boyfriend has a serious problem with hitting the snooze. His old-school alarm clock blares the most annoying BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP for about three rounds every morning. He insists he needs to gradually wake up. I never hit the snooze, so I do not relate to this at all. But this alarm clock has a light built in that mimics natural sunlight. Thirty minutes before the alarm goes off, the light starts coming on, which apparently helps you wake up slowly and naturally, so that by the time the alarm goes off — and there is no BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP setting — you’re more ready to get up and not hit the snooze.

I mentioned this type of alarm clock a long time ago and he said he’d actually like to have something like it, so I was excited to get it for him. My original intention was to get the wake-up light plus an iPhone docking station all in one, but when I went to buy it on Thursday, I realized it had terrible reviews. I didn’t want to buy them separately, but that seemed like a better option than getting him something with a 1-star average.

Anyway, I’m really interested to see how this alarm clock works out. Honestly, I’m just impressed he’s figured out how to set it himself. I generally bring the whole “setting up new pieces of technology” thing to the relationship.

Finally, it was my turn to open my gift! My little white box was now wrapped in blue and white reindeer paper and inside was…

A shiny gold necklace!

For those of you who don’t dabble in the dark arts like I do, that is my astrological sign, a symbol I like very much and that is a very good representation of me!

I love it!

Once presents were opened, I surveyed the damage. I didn’t feel like cleaning up all the wrapping paper, so I picked up the tequila.

“Want to take a shot?” I asked.

He refused again.

“But it’s Christmas morning. Why do you get to play with your new toys, but I can’t play with mine?”

He told me I was welcome to have some of my tequila, but he wasn’t going to partake.

I suddenly got very suspicious.

“Wait,” I said. “Is all that tequila some sort of hint that I’m not putting out enough?”

Then we both laughed. I mean, seriously. If one of us wasn’t putting out enough, we’d just break up.

1 Manon December 21, 2010 at 9:54 am

A) I would marry someone ON THE SPOT who put PATRON IN MY STOCKING
B) I NEED that alarm clock
C) I’m a leo too, and LOVE that necklace! Nice job outta your man toy!

2 Jackie @ Baking Charms December 21, 2010 at 10:05 am

those baby tequilas are GENIUS! and your necklace? so pretty :)

3 marie December 21, 2010 at 10:05 am

OMG where did he get that patron!? that is adorable and I need it RIGHT.NOW. for Sean!!!!

4 Rachel December 21, 2010 at 12:45 pm

We saw it a few weeks ago at Specs, a big liquor store chain down here. I’m sure any well-stocked liquor store would have it! It came in a silver carrying case, so I can take it to go.

5 Diane December 21, 2010 at 10:19 am

I love the espresso tequila! That’s the perfect gift for my coffee-loving BFF who doesn’t like the taste of any other booze.

6 Smash December 21, 2010 at 10:19 am

OMG love the necklace as I’m a fellow Leo too! You two are the cutest. :)

7 Angela December 21, 2010 at 10:20 am

Gorgeous necklace!! I love my sign as well and am SO a Piscean. :D I love what you bought for him as well. A friend of mine has an alarm clock like that, too. I may have to get one, because I hit snooze for as long as possible. I start subtracting things to stay in bed longer, e.g. I really don’t have to wash my hair today or I don’t need to make breakfast at home, etc.

Thanks for the shoutout!! :D Aren’t those cards great? Did he love it?

8 Rachel December 21, 2010 at 12:44 pm

He did! I think we were both shocked that someone else could design a card that SO PERFECTLY summed up the sort of things we say to each other!

9 Dori December 21, 2010 at 10:55 am

Love your Leo necklace! That man knows you well. I’m intrigued by this alarm clock although I don’t need it. Like you, I never hit snooze. I also love my iPod music waking me up anyway.

ESPRESSO TEQUILA? COFFEE TEQUILA SMOOTHIE??? Omg that is something Missy and I would gladly wake up early for. Count me in on this for if I ever get to Houston.

10 Rachel December 21, 2010 at 12:44 pm

RIGHT?!?!

11 ashleigh December 21, 2010 at 10:55 am

That card is hilarious! Nice find. Also, love the necklace! I used to hit snooze, but now I wake up to music, and usually sleep through it for a good 45 minutes.

12 Heather December 21, 2010 at 10:57 am

the stocking is so ADORABLE! Glad you found one you liked :)

13 Rachel December 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Thanks to you!!

14 Amy December 25, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Where DID you get that stocking? Loving it!

15 Rachel December 25, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I got it from this Etsy shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/vintagepaperbella

16 Paige December 21, 2010 at 11:10 am

I never, ever hit the snooze, but my boyfriend does constantly. I don’t understand how being woken up by an alarm four times is better than being woken up once.

I love that card! And I’m a Leo too. Fun times.

17 Robyn December 21, 2010 at 11:41 am

That alarm clock is going on my ‘to buy when I have more money’ list . . . Wow. Awesome! And your necklace is beautiful!

18 sari December 21, 2010 at 12:34 pm

this is so fun! yay fake holidays and tequila!

19 jenna December 21, 2010 at 12:55 pm

That espresso tequila is amazing!! I am not a fan of tequila at all, but OMG I love that stuff. I’ve surprised my friends with shots of it at the bar and they can’t believe how easy it is to drink. I really should buy myself a bottle and try that recipe. Happy Holidays!!

20 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write December 21, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I love that card. It made me laugh out loud.
I’ve never really done stockings, but just last night the hubs said that he wanted to start doing them next year. I guess I have ideas now!

21 Lauren at KeepItSweet December 21, 2010 at 2:31 pm

love that tequila mix! i didn’t even know all of those varieties existed but had heard that the espresso is AMAZING

22 MelissaNibbles December 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm

A very lovely gift and I love the card you picked out!

23 Becca December 21, 2010 at 7:39 pm

PLEASE share how the light alarm works! I’ve been wanting one since I started working (def didn’t need it in college) since it’s so hard to get out of bed in the winter. My biggest concern would be if it would wake me completely up too early, I don’t hit snooze either, but lately it’s been harder and harder to resist…

24 caitie December 21, 2010 at 9:10 pm

check these out http://www.etsy.com/shop/NeatThings

some of the cards are awesome and i bet you would love the “love” ones

25 Rachel December 22, 2010 at 9:22 am

These are AWESOME! I need to order a bunch…definitely going to come in handy at Valentine’s Day!

26 Kavi December 22, 2010 at 8:15 am

I have the wake-up light, and I LOVE it! Excellent gift choice! Might come in handy after all the tequila ;)

27 Rachel December 22, 2010 at 9:19 am

haha true dat!

28 Ashley December 22, 2010 at 9:49 pm

OMG, I LOVE the leo necklace! As a fellow Lion, I’m jealous of the attention that necklace will get you.

29 Ariel February 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I’ve been looking into getting an alarm clock light that because my bedroom doesn’t have a window and is very dark in the morning. Does Eric like it so far?