Viva la Resolutionaries

by Rachel on January 2, 2011

Happy 2011!

After making it back to Houston and enjoying a few glasses of champagne, a few shots of espresso tequila, and approximately two straight days of basic human needs, I’m feeling more excited for the new year in my new city.

And nothing says “new year” like the New Year’s Resolutionaries! This one is from the archives, but it’s still rather relevant.

I’ll be back tomorrow with more thoughts on resolutions, goals, and all things 2011, but until then, let’s have a laugh at the expense of the people invading our gyms right now.

1 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations January 2, 2011 at 2:22 pm

This is FAB-U-LOUS!!!! So true!!! So true. My gym was empty yesterday — assuming people were still hungover. Today was another story — full of the Resolutionaries!!

2 Elizabeth January 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm

So funny! I once was a resolutionary & have since moved on from my gym to running outside & taking zumba classes/lifting at a local studio, but still have to stifle the urge to be grouchy to the new people at zumba classes at this time of year.

3 Janna January 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm

This is why I’m sticking to Jillian Michael’s for the first couple weeks on January!

But I do actually remember my first gym experience. I was 16 and I was definitely the girl who got all dressed up. I did the adductor/abductor machine, 10 minutes on the bike and then walked around aimlessly. Ha. My how things have changed. :)

Also, I really miss your videos!

4 Blog is the New Black January 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm

So funny, so true… and I’m so familiar with these people! You are hilarious.

5 ashleigh January 2, 2011 at 4:05 pm

This is freaking hilarious! Where do you come up with this stuff? It’s SO true!

Happy New Year!

6 MelissaNibbles January 2, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Love this! Thank god for Core Fusion so we don’t have to deal with those people.

7 Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) January 2, 2011 at 6:03 pm

This is so clever! hahaha I love that you did it :-)

8 Mabelle @ Dance, Love, Dine January 2, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I agree with your gym comment. Im afraid to go in there tomorrow and find massive amounts of new peeps. Im very afraid…lol..by the way, I found your blog recently and I really like it :)

9 Mary @ stylefyles January 2, 2011 at 8:05 pm

“HOW do you make water fountains DO THAT?!!!”

haha, so hysterical – both the writing and the delivery!!!!!

Can I ask what you shoot these videos on? I want you to put the microphone and camera closer… you are just TOO funny to be sitting that far away!

10 Rachel January 2, 2011 at 8:09 pm

It’s shot on a FlipCam!

11 Mary @ stylefyles January 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm

get that flip cam closer to that sexy face!!!

;)

12 Ashley January 3, 2011 at 10:22 am

I love this! I’m dreading seeing what my gym is going to look like today, but this video eases the pain…at least I’m not the only one annoyed with resolutionaries.

xo

13 Angela January 3, 2011 at 11:46 am

LOL, I always feel this way in January, but then I remember that I once was one. Well, actually, I waited until February that year I joined my current gym.

14 Lisa January 3, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Awesome. I love it. You said everything I’ve been feeling. I try to think positively about people trying to get healthy (go you! yippee!) but when people are jerks at the gym they just ruin it for everyone else.

WIPE YOUR SWEAT OFF THE MACHINE! GROSS!!!!!

15 Anonymous Fat Girl January 4, 2011 at 5:02 pm

OMG – one of my commenters at my blog shared this link with me. I too wrote a post about the new gym goers but I called them “Revolutionists”. I think I like your term better. Loved the video – LMFAO!

16 Danielle January 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I have yet to step foot in the gym for all of these reasons. Tomorrow I will make my first attempt at 7 am. I don’t think the revolutionaries have that much motivation and hopefully I will have some space. Hilarious video.

17 Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 5, 2011 at 3:16 pm

this video STILL makes me laugh. I think this is one of the first posts that made me truly fall in love with you.

18 Gaby January 6, 2011 at 12:17 am

Lol this is great! Our yoga studios are quickly being invaded. Like you said, I don’t want to discourage anyone from doing yoga of course, but they come in with the super duper new years deals so they’ve paid like $2 per class and have decided they’ll be “yogis” so they also went out and spent hundreds on lululemon gear so they look really cute, but then they can’t actually do anything yet and get exhausted and walk out to get water every 10 minutes, then walk out thinking they’ve had the best workout ever and will lose tons of weight because they went and did savasana for 30 minutes . Plus, it just sounds hot when you say you practice yoga, right?
That sounds harsh, I’m sure many of them will fall in love with it just like I did and learn how to truly practice yoga, but the NY’s resolutions to drop pounds while doing it in fancy spandex is just totally missing the meaning of yoga.
I also just don’t see how January is all that different from December. Taking care of yourself is a lifelong job!