What’s Cooking?

by Rachel on January 9, 2011

The new issue of Cooking Light is so good!

This is definitely one of my favorite magazines, and the January/February issue did not disappoint. I honestly do not know where to begin with these recipes. I’ve never been this excited about chicken.

If you need some meal inspiration this week, here are the recipes I’m most excited to get started with:

Chicken Fried Rice with Leeks and Dried Cranberries

Poached Halibut with Lemon-Herb Sauce

Coconut Chicken Fingers

Smoky Pan-Grilled Porkchops

Greek-Style Chicken

Walnut Breadcrumb Pasta with a Soft Egg

Smoky Potato Pancakes

Since I am generally just cooking for myself, I’ve decided to limit myself to just two this week. I’m actually glad it’s a two-month issue because it’s going to take me a while to get through all of the great recipes.

What’s everyone else cooking this week?

Happy Sunday!

1 Alli January 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm

There’s a brownie bake-off at my work tomorrow, and I’m making these later today as my entries (yes, I’m an asshole and entering twice):

I also have a pot roast in the oven for later and chicken stock cooking on my stove….Sunday is my big cooking day!

2 Rachel January 9, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I am sure you will do well with the Pioneer Woman’s brownies — her recipes are so good! And hello, SALTED CARAMEL!? YUM!

3 marie January 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I, too, am dying over this month’s magazine! It has SO many amazing recipes! Cooking Light is one of my fav magazines because it’s not just cooking. Does that make sense?

4 Rachel January 9, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Yup! Exactly.

5 Amy January 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I cooked the Walnut Breadcrumb Pasta with a Soft Egg recipe early this week and it is SO good! Enjoy!

6 Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I need to subscribe to Cooking Light. I hear so many good things about it, but have never even opened one!

This week, we’re making a wild rice + mushroom + sausage casserole. It’s amazing. I can’t wait to eat it.

7 Erin January 9, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I just subscribed to Cooking Light in Dec., so this was my first issue. I agree – it all looks delicious! I made the pan-grilled pork chops and they were great! Love your blog – I’m making the pumpkin chili for this week :)

8 Rachel January 9, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Oh yay! Let me know how it goes!!

9 Lauren at KeepItSweet January 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm

That pasta dish sounds amazing! I am making a healthy lasagna for the week.

10 Melissa January 9, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I used to subscribe to Cooking Light, but I got tired of having the physical copies around all the time. I wish there was an online subscription. Here is my plan for the week.

Sun: 1 Egg, Bacon and grapefruit; chili and collard greens; eggplant parmesan (Macheesmo)
Mon: Carrot Cake Oatmeal; Eggplant parmesan; White Bean & Swiss Chard Soup (Smitten Kitchen)
Tue: Pumpkin Oatmeal; Meatloaf w/ brussel sprouts & carrots; Chicken, Artichoke, Kale & Feta salad
Wed: Banana & PB Oatmeal; Chicken Salad; Bean & Chard Soup
Thu: Pumpkin Oatmeal; Meatloaf w/ brussel sprouts & carrots; Bibimbap (Serious Eats)
Fri: Carrot Cake Oatmeal; Bibimbap; Out

11 Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes January 9, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Bibimbap!! Yay Korean food :)

We used to make bibimbap all the time but are out of the habit — but it’s such a fast, easy, and delicious way to get veggies. Thanks for the reminder — yum.

12 MelissaNibbles January 9, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Pan grilled pork chops! YUM!

13 Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes January 9, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Fun recipes! I might have to pick that issue up…

We’re making some fun recipes this week — highlights include miso soup with tofu and bok choy (tweaking a new fav!), veggie bolognese, and a tofu scramble with lemony chickpeas, adapted from 101 Cookbooks. Just got back in town and ran to the grocery to get set for the week — a wonderful feeling.

14 Rachel January 9, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I just went to the grocery store for the week and it felt SO GOOD. Ahhhh.

15 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I definitely need to get myself a Cooking Light subscriptions when I get a kitchen! I always love flipping through the recipes.

16 Blog is the New Black January 9, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I love CL, too. I used to get it in the mail, but my subscription lapsed. Thanks for the reminder to renew!

17 sarah (the SHU box) January 9, 2011 at 7:19 pm

YES this month’s issue is fantastic! the lamb & guinness stew is simmering as we speak . . . i’m excited to dig in!

i didn’t notice the walnut-breadcrumb pasta but that is so going on my list for next week.

18 Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) January 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I haven’t made my grocery list this week yet and stuuff, but I will most likely be looking to Cooking light for some inspiration!

19 Kionda January 9, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I love Cooking Light magazine! Back when I subscribed I enjoyed recreating the recipes. I need to subscribe again. :D

20 Suzanne January 9, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I made the Mexican chicken casserole from that issue and it was so good!

21 Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish January 9, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I let my subscription lapse too. :( Thanks for the quick links so I won’t be going through withdrawal while they process it! :)

22 angela January 10, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Yum! The coconut chicken fingers sound really good! This week I’m making some mandarin orange beef stir fry. Couldn’t really find a recipe I liked so I’m just going to wing it and see what happens.