Rachel Getting Hungry: The Lamburger

by Rachel on January 12, 2011

Or “Get Me to The Greek…Burger.”

Starring a piece of meat slightly more appealing than Russell Brand.

Hungry? Well, yes, I can see why.

Let’s go cook some meat!

Combine 1 and 1/2 pounds of ground lamb (not as exotic as it sounds — even Wal-Mart carries it), 1 tbsp Greek seasoning, 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, 2 minced cloves of garlic, and 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese. Form into patties and toss on the grill.

While the burgers are cooking, grab some whole-wheat buns, lettuce, and sliced red onion. And cook up some veggies to have on the side; I went with sliced squash and zucchini cooked in butter.

Once the burgers are cooked through, assemble but wait — don’t put that bun on yet.

The key to balancing out the little bit of spice in the lamb is a creamy yogurt-based dressing. You can make your own from scratch using yogurt, white onions, dill, and garlic, or you can do what I did and buy one. Thank you, Marie’s brand reduced-fat yogurt dressing with feta cheese (in the refrigerated dressing section) — you saved me several dollars and 10 minutes of chopping!

OK…now you can top with your bun!

I honestly had no idea how this would turn out…I made the recipe up! Eric was coming over for dinner and I was really nervous for him to try it; generally, I don’t just make up a recipe and then serve it to someone else without having any idea how it would taste. I had the whole “guys love meat” thing going for me…and the “cheese saves everything” benefit to consider…but I couldn’t be sure. I was hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Turns out, it was delicious.

Like…way more delicious than I actually expected.

A good reason to just keep setting the bar low, perhaps?

But seriously, Eric and I just loved it. It was just so juicy and filling, and just…meaty. Sometimes a girl is just craving a burger, but wants a little upgrade from the whole ketchup-and-mustard-on-a-bun thing. I think it would also be great to make as sliders for a party.

All that savory goodness was the perfect lead-in for dessert — superfood cookies, revisited!

I was just craving a hunky, chunky oatmeal cookie over the weekend, so I brought that recipe out from the archives. It was a perfect end to a really good dinner.

Do you like lamb? I’ve been down with it since I was a kid; when I was three years old, I developed a love for gyros. But not everyone is brave when it comes to meat — where do you stand?

1 Brittney January 12, 2011 at 9:12 am

Mmm, that burger sounds pretty good! Does it taste kind of like a gyro??

2 Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes January 12, 2011 at 9:14 am

Blech. Not to your burger, of course, but to Russell Brand.

I’m not a huge meat-eater, but I actually love making the occasional burger in a grill pan at home. It’s such a change of pace for us, since we’d usually only eat burgers out — and it’s a small taste of summer in the winter, since burgers are such cook-out staples!

3 Val @ Balancing Val January 12, 2011 at 9:15 am

I live for Greek food!

I gotta try those out!

Funny story in the car the other day . . . A Katy Perry song came on and he said . . .

CHRIS: “Hey, If Katy Perry wanted to have sex with me, could I? . . . You can have Russell Brand?”

ME: “Ew no thanks! . . . I’d rather have Katy Perry!!”

4 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations January 12, 2011 at 9:38 am

I used to LOVE eating lamb — roasted with rosemary and mint sauce!! Oh, so good. Then, I was in a vegetarian/almost vegan phase, in which I said I’d never eat “Mary’s Little Lamb.” At this point, I eat chicken and turkey but haven’t gone quite this far. I’m certain those are awesome burgers though!

5 Blog is the New Black January 12, 2011 at 9:43 am

I’ve never tried lamb… not that I know of! ;) Looks good to me!

6 Manon January 12, 2011 at 10:05 am

Nom nom nom…I’m getting better about not being scared of eating animals I want for a pet. I was a vegetarian for quite a while, so eating cows, pigs, and chickens took some getting used too….this may be just the recipe to get me to try lamb. Sounds delish!

7 Stephanie January 12, 2011 at 10:08 am

I’m not eating meat this month but I don’t really have an issue with it so long as I know where my meat is coming from. I don’t do *mystery meat*

8 Theresa Sondjo January 12, 2011 at 10:18 am

It’s hard for me to imagine people who *aren’t* adventurous with their food. Dude, food is awesome. Also, I live in West Africa. You eat what you can find. Lamb, goat, rabbit, possum (true story!), whatever. These things are *luxuries* not adventures. ;)

Also, mint tatziki = best yogurt sauce ever. It’s a hassle to make yourself b/c you’ve gotta strain the yogurt if it’s not thick enough, but well worth it.

9 Sarah January 12, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I love Lamburgers! It’s funny that I’ve done lamburgers, and I often make Greek burgers with tzatziki (in fact, it was one of my entries into Project Tasteless!), but I have yet to combine the two. Well, that will be changing soon!

10 Keri @ Iron Mountain Movement January 12, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Love l-l-l-l-a-a-a-a-m-b! I recently had a lamb burger, used goat cheese instead of feta, was good too.

11 Jasmine January 12, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I don’t eat meat, but Ryan loves it. That’s cool Eric is up for trying new things. My hubs doesn’t really like anything new or different. He’ll try it, but in his heart, he prefers all the things he grew up eating. Beef burgers with cheddar cheese, chicken fingers, buffalo chicken wings, etc. My husband would basically eat bar food all day long if possible.

12 Kaley January 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm

That looks delicious! I think lamb meat is so juicy. Of course, I am also thinking about kebaps, the kind where they shave the meat off that huge hunk. Kinda disgusting, but utterly delicious with some yogurt sauce that drips down your chin. (It might even be better whilst intoxicated, not that that’s ever happened to me. Nope.)

13 Salah (My Healthiest LIfestyle) January 12, 2011 at 2:59 pm

that looks so good!!

14 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 12, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I really love lamb in a gyro but I’ve never tried lamb in a burger. I bet it was awesome! It looks great.

15 whitney January 12, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I love lamb. If you can believe, I once tried every major grocery store in my town (except Walmart) but no luck. I don’t love gyros, but I do enjoy a good lamb based meal. Such an underrated meat!

16 Sam January 12, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Ack. Lamb is so damn tasty (don’t mind me, I’m just a veggie reminiscing….)

Funny that you mention that Wal-Mart carries lamb, though. I could’ve sworn back in my college days (let’s see, ahem, last year) that Wal-Mart did not carry lamb. Weird that it has that kind of connotation of being expensive.

17 Robyn January 12, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Lamb was actually one of my favorite meats (back when I ate it). :) I always liked it in Greek and Indian food.

18 Christie January 13, 2011 at 1:41 am

I love meat. I’d probably go out and slaughter my own cow if I could. Slightly exaggerating! I’m way too lazy to do that, I’d rather just go grab a couple of steaks.

Meat makes my mouth water. This burger does too. Next time, get some yogurt and puree a cucumber in for some Tzatziki sauce. Also mix in a little marjoram in your meat, and it will really taste good. This also works for lunchmeat like roast beef or chicken, if you want to slap it on a pita and call it “Greek”

19 Nicole January 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

It’s not that I’m not brave…but when I was a kid and found out veal was baby cow, it was banished from my food options. So eating lamb would be contradictory. I don’t know, something about it being a baby makes it wrong to me!

20 Ashley January 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I just had gyro pizza the other night — delish! I’ve also tried ground goat, which I didn’t like because it was too greasy. Reminded me of ground pork.

On the other hand, elk and bison are my faves. Do they have Ted’s Montana Grill in Texas? Get yourself there A-S-A-P.

Basically I believe they are all here to eat and wear. So I am pretty adventurous when it comes to meat and would love to try a lamb burger.

21 A. January 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Rachel, your blog is wonderful. I plan to start my own and would love to just throw some very very quick questions at you…perhaps you could send me an email to say that is okay or not? perhaps you can answer them super quick and respond to me tommorow? u seem so intelligent, cool, and awesome!

22 Sarah January 15, 2011 at 12:09 pm

This meal looks delicious!!! Def picking up the ingredients next time I’m at the store :)