Best of the Nest

by Rachel on January 27, 2011

With the verb “invest” in mind, I’ve been paying special attention to my bedroom this month. It’s a place where I spend a lot of time, so it should be a happy place, right?

It all started when I snapped some photos of my snowy yard in Michigan over Christmas and fell in love with the pictures. I realized that the blue tones in the picture would look great with my teal wall and white Ikea bed.

I don’t think I would have ever chosen to paint a room that color, but I like it, and I liked what I could do with it: create an icy, winter woodland sort of bedroom. I love and miss the gray winter days of Michigan, so this seemed like a good way to bring a little of that to sunny, warm Houston. And you guys know how much I love deer, so I figured I could incorporate some antler paraphernalia. I already had this frame to get me started.

First, I set out to frame the pictures I took in Michigan. After printing them as 5 x 7, I found these inexpensive cream-colored frames from Ikea for them.

I loved how it looked, but the teal wall now had a lot of character and furniture, and yet, it was the least boring wall to begin with. I moved on to giving the white walls a little something.

The bluebird picture was from a bird feeder on our back porch in Michigan and I put that in a silver frame from Ikea on the smaller wall between the door and the closet. Then I bought a frame at Target for one of the pictures of Eric and me that Annie took last November and put that on the wall to the right of my desk.

I still needed something for over my desk; the blank space seemed so ugly and was driving me crazy. And it seemed like the spot above my desk was pretty prime real estate — visible from the bed and the desk. So a few weeks ago, I used a gift card to CSN for some art. The Inhabit store at had a ton of pieces that went with my theme, and I agonized over which one was just right. In the end I ended up going with a 16 x 16 stretched fabric piece with a pussywillow design.

I love the pale blue and just how organic the design is.

Then, after building my bookshelf a couple weeks ago, I also used that as a spot to decorate.

The two items in the left picture are from Kohl’s — a place I never expected to find such good decor! The deer was technically a Christmas item, so I was able to get it for about $5 (50 percent off!). And the owl is this smooth white plaster that I just love and was on clearance for $7.99! The jewelry tree is something I’ve needed for a while but just didn’t want to spend money on; I found that one on clearance at Target for $13 a few weeks ago.

I also recently discovered 20 x 200 via Amazon, which has tons of great wall art for $20. This owl print is going over my spin bike (on a wall that gets way too much sun light to take a decent photograph), matted in a white frame similar to the frames on my other wall.

And one final touch — these adorable deer coasters that my Hollaback Secret Santa Laura gave me!

It goes so well with my apron, I can’t even deal.

I’m so glad I’ve been paying attention to my bedroom — hanging out there makes me so happy now. I mean, it was fine before, it worked…but there is just something really satisfying about having pretty things on the walls and around you. I find that I’m just a lot more relaxed and happy when I’m in there now, and despite the iciness of the theme, it feels a million times cozier now.

1 Lauren at KeepItSweet January 27, 2011 at 11:03 am

I think you never really feel at home until the decorations are a bit more in place. Even though I think hanging pictures, etc. is one of the most painful parts of moving, I find it extremely important to do as soon as possible. Love your apron!

2 Katie January 27, 2011 at 11:07 am

This is awkward- our rooms look the same. I have mostly white with silver accents bedding, and some blue and white throw pillows that look exactly like that pussywillow print. Also have branch jewelry holders. And my room artwork is mostly framed pictures of snowy Colorado scenes. I have some extra enlarged prints if you want some!

3 Jackie @ Baking Charms January 27, 2011 at 11:07 am

My sister has the same color walls in her bedroom! It’s so fun :) I definitely paid more attention to decorating my bedroom and living room. Everywhere else is kind of lacking…

4 Stephanie January 27, 2011 at 11:08 am

LOVE the owl picture! I have an awesome owl painting on my wall but it looks weird and out of place. I desperately want out of the house we’re renting from now before decorating anything but I’m getting antsy!! Great finds!

5 G January 27, 2011 at 11:10 am

Gorgeous!!! Your theme is fantastic – so clean and uncluttered, which is definetely ideal for a bedroom. I also adore the shade of blue on your accent wall! Great job!

6 Caitlin January 27, 2011 at 11:13 am

Everything looks great! I really love the theme – and the colors! I miss winter, too, so it’s a good thing the blinds in my room are practically blackout curtains where I can at least FEEL like there’s snow outside.

When I first got here, I was using bedding that my Mum already had in place. Once I got mine out of storage, I just loved my room that much more. I absolutely love my bedding – it’s a woodsy theme too with sweet little birds in blue, cream and khaki – and it really made a difference! I can’t wait to get back into my own place to decorate!

7 Maddy January 27, 2011 at 11:14 am

Oh.My.God.. I have been dying for a ceramic/plaster owl for my room for weeks, but just haven’t been able to find THE ONE. That is so perfect!!

Owls are so hot right now!!

8 Natalie @ Scarlett Notions January 27, 2011 at 11:19 am

I love your designs! So clean and homey! You’ve inspired me to do my own nesting this weekend!

9 Alli January 27, 2011 at 11:33 am

I’m in the WORST nesting phase right now, and have been trying to “invest” in my apartment as well. Thanks for the heads-up about 20×200 — one of the things I’ve been looking for is cool, affordable art!

10 Jess January 27, 2011 at 11:59 am

your bedroom has a nature influence now; great use of your own photographer to make it more personal. oh and i love that little jewelry tree, i’ve been on the hunt for one of those for awhile.

11 Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight January 27, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I can’t wait to do that when I move into my new place TOMORROW!!! I’m sick to pieces of living in Neutral County because I was sharing an apartment. I have so many creative and colorful ideas that my head is about to explode with possibilities!

Love what you’ve done to your room. Although I don’t care for the snow of winter, I love the crispness of the season. You just can’t beat looking out a frosty window in NW PA at a new blanket of snow covering the naked trees populating the mountains.

12 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition January 27, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I love it!! I painted my draws that color and at first it was a little intense for me but now I really like it! Adds so much to a room

xo

13 Cat @ YoungFoolishHungry January 27, 2011 at 1:27 pm

The jewelry stand looks like it came straight from Urban Outfitters (much better bargain at Target though!) Love the decor.

14 Tenecia January 27, 2011 at 2:31 pm

My bedroom just told me that it hates me because your bedroom is cuter than it is….thanks alot for making me look bad ;)

T.

15 Jena January 27, 2011 at 3:02 pm

ZOMG! I love, love, love that color! We are getting ready to paint our guestroom blue of some sort, I am going to show my husband this color ASAP! I love! Our guestroom is a beachy theme (k, fine, our entire house is beachy).. but we have a huge, and when I say huge, i mean gigantic sailboat picture that takes up half the wall in the guest room so blue will go lovely with it. I love your subtle little decorations. I’m the worst decorator ever. I have a lot of idea, but no clue how to make them all fit together when out looking like a huge cluster. ugh.

16 Clare @ Fitting It All In January 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm

LOVE that pop of blue against the white! I’ve done the same with my room except it’s a sage/lime green!

17 Parvin Taraz January 27, 2011 at 3:33 pm

What inspired your love of owls/deer??? Your bedroom looks adorable, btw. I’m gonna be moving in about 4 months and now I can’t wait to enter a new blank space and make it my own!

18 Joslyn January 27, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Woot!!! I have become a big nester too of late!! After being inspired by a baby blanket my friend made I went and bought some fabric and made two blankets and a toy no less!! I love the satisfaction one gets from producing beautiful things from scratch!! The sewing machine is on order and I am planning more produce!!! My bedroom will indeed be getting a revamp once the machine arrives!! Love the deers, such a cute pres from Laura! I’m turning into a 1950s housewife by the second and love it!

19 Kayla @ Let's Live Wholesome January 27, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I think the bedroom is one of those places that a lot of people neglect for some reason. But I’m definitely with you on this one, it’s so important to take care of it and make it an outpouring of you!

My bedroom is basically me, in room form. Therefore, it’s gotta be one of the best places on earth. And I just realized that sounded really egotistical, but I’m just being honest.

Or to quote you, I’m sorry I’m not sorry for saying that.

20 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 27, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I LOVE your bedroom. I saw a beautiful bedroom on a blog a few years ago with a white bedspread and a blue painted wall. I fell in love and I’m falling in love with yours :)

21 Jasmine January 27, 2011 at 11:54 pm

The teal is really pretty. I’m really digging that black and white owl print. I have a thing for owls lately. I’ll have to check out that Amazon thing. That sounds super cool.

Cute room girly!

22 Ally (oatsandspice) January 28, 2011 at 10:47 am

You’re from Michigan?! The weird thing is I am a senior at Michigan State and am moving to Houston in June! How do you like it down there?

23 Rachel January 28, 2011 at 11:22 am

That’s crazy! I like it a lot!! Not used to the lack of cold weather, but other than that, I really like it!

24 Rachael January 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I bet a million (okay, I’m probably exaggerating.) people have asked what color blue that is specifically. It comes across nice in photos, are the pictures true to color? If you could hunt down what color was used … I want that in my gym/meditation room (I know, but if you have an extra room, why not use it for something you totally don’t have a clue about?).

25 Ashley January 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Well, I love almost all of it … I just can’t give the winter-themed photos a thumbs up, but other than that …. can I come over for a slumber party?!

26 Mary (A Merry Life) January 29, 2011 at 12:25 am

I love ALL of this. You have great taste my friend! I want all of it. I really need to find a cheap jewelry holder like that to keep my jewelry that is scattered around everywhere. And of course I could use more owl related things. Always.

27 Bess January 29, 2011 at 11:42 am

Having seen this all in person, I can vouch for how cozy and “you” the decorating is. Plus the wall color is reminiscent of Michigan winters…I’ll take a picture of an icicle over real ice on the trees any day!

28 Krista January 29, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I LOVE your room. It screams winter in Michigan. So cozy and cool. I just moved to Fargo, ND from Swartz Creek, Michigan, so I will miss Michigan winters because of how warm they are compared to here. Complete opposite of you, but missing Michigan either way!

29 Angela January 30, 2011 at 11:12 pm

You know, I’m not much of a blue person, but I LOVE what you’ve done with your room. :D