I’ve Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconut (Chicken Fingers)

by Rachel on January 30, 2011

Continuing right along with my tour de Cooking Light, last week I made the coconut chicken fingers from the January/February issue!

I love coconut. Eric isn’t a huge fan (to my utter disappointment because I am dying to make him my half-orange cupcakes!) but my friend Lauren made the recipe and said that her coconut-averse roommates liked the recipe, so I decided to go for it anyway.

The verdict? The coconut lover loved them and the coconut hater didn’t love them, but ate them anyway.

Oh, but I strongly suggest you pick up some chile sauce or some sort of Asian condiment to go with these! They are good alone, but a few bites in, Eric and I both agreed they were missing something. I went with chile sauce and he went with ketchup; I think a sweet & sour sauce might be the perfect solution.

Speaking of chicken fingers and boys, just a reminder that your new Project Tasteless entries are due by tomorrow night. Super Bowl Sunday is a week away and I, for one, am dying to have a reason to care. Your recipes are really all I have at this point.

1 angela January 30, 2011 at 4:54 pm

These look amazing! I need to give them a try. Glad you mentioned the need of a sauce. We have frequent “something’s missing but what is it?” discussions when I make new things.

2 amy @healthyhungryhappy.com January 30, 2011 at 5:07 pm

i made this last night! i thought it was really good! although my chickens were too big i think…i basically had the whole ‘crust’ peeled off ha. but still tasted good!

3 D January 30, 2011 at 5:39 pm

You should do a day of your meals! I know you don’t do food blogging like that but the meals that you feature always seem really wholesome and normal. And I’m guessing you probably eat from normal sized utensils, too. I follow a ton of ‘healthy living blogs’ and even when I’m reading a blog with content I enjoy, I’m often turned off by the weird (to me) concoctions they come up with! I can’t stand reading/seeing random bowls of mush or “protein ice cream” or other kinda odd things. I don’t eat dairy, eggs or meat, but I still appreciate seeing good, healthy meals like this!

4 Rachel January 30, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Oooh, not a bad idea! I normally eat the exact same thing for breakfast and lunch most days too, and I assure you, it’s very normal. I will take some pics this week so I can show you my typical day!

And thanks for appreciating that I don’t eat mush! Seriously.

5 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 30, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I’m such a coconut lover! I honestly don’t get the people that don’t like coconut, sorry Eric!

6 Stephanie January 30, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I think that whole dinner looks great. I love coconut ANYTHING!

7 Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal January 30, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I love that you preview all the C.L. recipes for me….you are still one month ahead. Sadly I’m not going to be in the runnings for Project Tasteless this round. I had an idea for “owl wings” (I’m an FAU owl alumni) but decided that a-that was probably cannibalism and b-I didn’t get to the store to buy any wings. Although the chicken and black bean burgers I made would probably work, but that was another theme for another day (check out the post tomorrow!).

Have a great Sunday!

8 Angela January 30, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Gotta go with Eric on this one. I have tried so hard to like coconut. But I just can’t.

9 Brittney January 31, 2011 at 9:26 am

I too am a coconut lover with a significant other who does not love coconut. Luckily he travels for work so I can make coconut stuff while he’s gone and non-coconut stuff when he’s home ;)

10 Rachel January 31, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Those look great – I make a similar chicken with almond “bread crumbs” and parmesan cheese. Coconut would be a great touch!