Love Means Never Having to Say “I’m Hungry”

by Rachel on February 8, 2011

This Valentine’s Day, I’m excited to be able to cook for someone else, but I definitely did not need a guy as my reason to make a lot of great recipes last year. I simply made what looked good and then force-fed everything to my family. It’s the single girl way, and I’ve always been the single girl. Ain’t no shame in that.

(Forget boyfriends. I just like Valentine’s Day because I like pink and red and an excuse to be in the kitchen and buy little gifts for people.)

All I want to do for the first two weeks in February is bake cupcakes and frost them in thick, fluffy frosting.

(My favorite holidays are the ones that have the best themes and the best food.)

Ideally I’d be carrying out this baking bender while wearing one of the cute little outfits on display at Victoria’s Secret.

(Particularly themes that are undeniably sexual and food that is undeniably delicious.)

OK — before this goes any further, let’s talk about these plans for baking in a cute little outfit. I mean, this Betty-Crocker-meets-Jenna-Jameson routine just might not be practical. Here is my video from last year on the matter.

Good on those guidelines? OK, great. Let’s move on.

If you need some inspiration for Valentine’s Day treats (edible ones food ones! not talking about “kissable” massage oil and edible panties here! I find that shit gross!) — here are some recommendations!

I must first recommend my all-time favorite Valentine’s Day treat: Half-Orange Cupcakes! The second-best cupcake recipe I’ve ever made, I baked these last year after I read Meeting Your Half-Orange right before Valentine’s Day and got a new perspective on love. I just love these cupcakes because I made them with the whole idea of making them for your half-orange. Eric doesn’t like coconut, but I realized the coconut is only in the topping so I might make these this weekend but frost them with white chocolate frosting instead.

Speaking of white chocolate frosting, that recipe comes from the best cupcake recipe I’ve ever tasted: White Chocolate Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting. Make them. Turn the frosting pink or red or stick a conversation heart on on top. Serve them wearing nothing but red panties. Whatever you need to do to make them fit with the theme is up to you. But you need to make them ASAP.

Other recommendations…

Creamy, Dreamy Chocolate Cake (could be done as cupcakes!)

Raspberry Cheesecake Bars

Chocolate Raspberry Jell-O cake with homemade Cool Whip frosting. It’s easy, looks fancy, does not at all shout “Jell-O!” and is good treat to bring to a party.

Chocolate Cherry Muffins

Prosciutto-Wrapped Pork Loin

Veggie Lasagna

Homemade Butternut Squash Tortelloni

Garlic and Citrus Roasted Chicken

Sausage Pasta

Creamy Spinach Shells & Cheese

Bangnana Pancakes

Easy Like Sunday Morning Biscuits and Gravy

Cheese & Herb Scones

Baked Caramel French Toast

You can also check out the Project Tasteless I Am, In Fact, Trying to Seduce You & the Easy Like Sunday Morning Bangover 911 recipe round-up for more evening-to-morning ideas!

I’ve never been able to be bitter about Valentine’s Day. It’s ultimately a holiday about food and sex — and last time I checked, those are things you can enjoy solo or with someone else.

1 Dori February 8, 2011 at 10:00 am

Great compilation of some of your best recipes! I’m not a Valentine’s Day fan but your post makes me see it in a more fun light. Have fun!

2 Paige February 8, 2011 at 10:05 am

Yum, all of these things look super delicious. My boyfriend will be out of town for a conference all of next week, so we won’t really be doing much celebrating. At this point, I’m trying to think of something awesome I can mail to his hotel room along with the snazzy Flytrap card I just bought. (Brilliant long-distance gift ideas, anyone?). That said, there is too much deliciousness on this page for us to NOT have a celebratory meal when he gets back.

3 Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes February 8, 2011 at 10:11 am

ALL of these recipes look amazing — but I NEED to make those white chocolate cupcakes. With the white chocolate frosting.

4 Diane February 8, 2011 at 10:11 am

Everyone always expects me to join them in a Valentine’s Day hate parade, but tbh, I really don’t mind the holiday. When your birthday is Feb. 18, you reap the rewards of discount chocolate. No complaints here!

5 Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic February 8, 2011 at 10:43 am

Those half-orange cupcakes sound absolutely divine and I will definitely be putting them on my things-to-bake list soon! I love that book too :)

6 Manon February 8, 2011 at 11:00 am

Ok, you MAY have just made me not hate Valentine’s Day. MAYBE. I LOVE red and pink, and I guess I have just never associated Valentines Day with being a FOOD holiday, which is odd because I could turn Tuesday into a food holiday. It’s just always the holiday where I try to convince co-workers that I’m not a whore when I get flowers at work from 2-4 different guys.

7 Alexandra February 8, 2011 at 12:03 pm

These recipes (and photos) all look delish. Can’t wait to try one!

8 Lauren at KeepItSweet February 8, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I like the idea of baked french toast since you can do it the night before (especially since Valentine’s Day is a Monday this year!). Great suggestions.

9 ashley February 8, 2011 at 2:04 pm

definitely some great recipes up there! my boyfriend will be taking me out to dinner for v-day and i have no idea what to get him. You have any creative/cheap ideas for a v-day gift? For a little background on us…been dating 4 years with a baby on the way. I need you help!

10 Rachel February 8, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I am hoping to put together a gift post ASAP — keep an eye out for it!

11 Mel (Mmm Stories) February 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Yum these recipes are just what I needed! This year I want to send my friends a little “goodie bag” of homemade treats with old school, 4th grade-style valentines cards. We don’t get enough mail these days…or little Transformers saying “You’re out of this world! Be mine!”

12 Caitlin February 8, 2011 at 5:52 pm

The closeup shot of the cupcakes is GORGEOUS.

13 Sable February 8, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Okay so:

#1) I wish I still lived in TX so I could enter the giveaway.
#2) Those cupcakes are BEAUTIFUL.
#3) I am possibly going to be in FL with my grandparents-in-law for Valentines Day (hubby is in the military and leave hasn’t been officially approved yet. Yeah it’s fine I only need 5 days notice to travel……) and if so I fully intend to make every single dish listed here. Oh my GOD.