Rachel Getting Hungry: Love Scones

by Rachel on February 11, 2011

Eric has been hinting at how much he loves cranberry and orange scones. I wanted to make them, but the recipe required zesting an orange.

Do you know how much I hate zesting?

Hate.

It’s my least favorite kitchen task, one I try to pass on to anyone in the near vicinity when it’s part of a recipe.

They make bottled minced garlic; why can’t they do the same for zests? I’m going to lose a finger one of these days.

Love Scones (inspired by “Cooking Light”)

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/3  cup sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2  teaspoon baking soda

1/4  teaspoon salt

6  tablespoons chilled stick butter

1/3  cup golden raisins

1/3  cup sweetened dried cranberries

3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk

2  teaspoons grated orange rind (CURSES! You’ll need two large oranges for this amount.)

1  large egg

1  large egg white

1  tablespoon sugar

This is How We Do It

Preheat oven to 400. Combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; cut in butter with a pastry blender (which I don’t own), two knives (which I can’t maneuver), your fingers (which I do own and can maneuver) until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in raisins and cranberries. Combine buttermilk, orange rind, egg, and egg white; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. If you can’t it completely blended (and it’s kinda tough) move on to the next step.

Flour the hell out of your hands and grab the dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it lightly about four times. (If you couldn’t get it mixed well enough in the bowl, you might need to knead a little more here to mix in all the dry ingredients.) Roll dough into a 12 x 6-inch rectangle. Cut dough into eight small squares using a dull knife dipped in flour. Cut each square into two triangles; you’ll have 16 scones when all is said and done. Place on two baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and pop in the oven for 12 minutes.

Serve warm!

Before I made the cheese and herb scones last fall, I didn’t think I liked scones because I really prefer savory breakfasts and I just thought that scones were like flat muffins. But I’ve discovered that even with a little fruit mixed in, scones usually have enough egg and butter to make for a hearty and not desserty breakfast. These are the perfect amount of tart and the zesting was (semi) worth it — the orange really shines through.

These would be great for a Valentine’s Day brunch, but if you’re only cooking for two, 16 scones is a little ridiculous. My recommendation? Make them Sunday night, bring them to the office Monday morning, and show some love for the people you probably see more than anyone else in a non-fraternizing, non-sexual harassing, non-ass-kissy sort of way.

1 Dori February 11, 2011 at 11:01 am

I don’t even know what zesting is (can you tell I don’t cook) but the scones look delicious!

2 Summer February 11, 2011 at 11:07 am

Oh, God. Zesting is the bane of my existence. I remember a fiasco in which I wanted to make a delicious homemade Key lime pie that ended with me sitting on the floor, drinking vodka straight out of the bottle, covered in flour ad rogue pieces of lime zest.

Curses, alright.

Also: The title of this song made me sing a little J-Timberlake in my head: “She’s got me Love Scones, man I think she’s bad and she knows, I think that she know-ow-ow-ows…”

3 Rachel February 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I kept singing “Kiss me through the scone…” in my head this morning. I was going to make that the title but I didn’t know if anyone would get the reference, as it’s based on a downright terrible song.

4 D February 11, 2011 at 1:53 pm

LOL

5 Summer February 11, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I don’t really know if “LoveStoned” is a winner either, but I would have totes gotten the “Kiss Me Through the Scone” ref. I was on a marathon road trip from Alabama to Massachusetts when that song came out, and my Brazilian car companion LOVED it. And played it. All. the. time.

6 Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing February 11, 2011 at 11:13 am

They actually do make jarred zest. You can buy it in the spice section. I’m 99.9% sure that I have both lemon AND orange zest in my spice cabinet.

7 Laura Georgina February 11, 2011 at 11:20 am

Are Eric and my man on the same vibe? Because mine was asking about orange cranberry scones the other day–and I doubt he’s ever tasted one before. So you posting this comes dangerously close to confirming that all men think alike (but we know that’s all cool men, anyway).

You now know who’ll be making these this weekend!!

8 Kim February 11, 2011 at 11:41 am

I have always LOATHED zesting, but recently got a great type from one of my cookbooks. Put wax paper over the grater and start grating/zesting. That collects the zest instead of having it all get stuck in the grater. Seriously life changing!

9 Sable February 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Pfffft 16 scones in THIS house would only last half a day… We don’t mess around =0)

I am very intimidated by zesting but may have to try these out!!!

10 G February 11, 2011 at 12:30 pm

You are such a great girlfriend!!

11 Victoria February 11, 2011 at 1:02 pm

For those of you (including Rachel) who say you hate zesting, you have never tried this awesome gadget: http://us.microplane.com/microplaneclassicserieszestergrater.aspx. It’s available at BB&Beyond so you don’t even have to go to some fancy spot like Williams Sonoma to hunt it down.

I’m not paid by them, but I own and have used the tool and it’s amazingly fast and easy. Yes, it’s super sharp, but then again, that’s what makes it fast and easy. It actually evolved from tools used to shave and shape wood. There’s a NYT article about it’s history here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/dining/12united.html

So, try it if you get a chance (since you’re into kitchen tools and all). If you then still hate zesting, let me know! There’s too much good food out there :-)

12 Amanda February 11, 2011 at 1:31 pm

You need a Mucroplane Zester! Seriously changed my life. http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-40020-Grater-Zester/dp/B00004S7V8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297449020&sr=8-1

I actually look forward to zesting now!

13 Stephanie February 11, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Thanks for the zest-to-orange ratios. :) I never know how much I’m supposed to buy in order to get that much zest. I hate zesting also. You might be on to something with the prezested products.

14 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write February 11, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I don’t mind zesting. I just hate the cleanup of cooking. Ugh.

I have always imagined scones would be difficult to make, but I do love me some orange-cranberry combinations. May have to give it a whirl. Have a fantastic Vday weekend! :)

15 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 11, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I hate zesting too! The unfortunate thing is that it is so necessary, and of course way more flavorful than if you don’t.

16 Arien February 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Oh honey, you need a microplane zester. I swear, I’m not a huge gadget freak, but they are amazing and make grating / zesting so much easier. I use mine for nutmeg and parmesan, too.

17 Marie February 11, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Seconding the microplane! http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-40020-Grater-Zester/dp/B00004S7V8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297463323&sr=8-1

I had only ever used this to zest (and I also use it for parmesan cheese) and then I went home and tried to zest using whatever contraption my mom had… it was awful. I found mine for 7 bucks at TJ Maxx. And I’m drooling over these scones!

18 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write February 11, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I third this! Zesting is super easy with a microplane.

19 The Clothed Cook February 14, 2011 at 12:47 am
20 MelissaNibbles February 11, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I hate zesting too! I’m not really a fan of scones either. You’re a great girlfriend!

21 Rachel February 11, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Girl! There’s an awesome spice shop (where I frequently buy way too much) that sells dried lemon AND orange zests. Here’s the website link for orange: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysorangepeel.html
You can find lemon zest by going to the search page and typing “lemon.” They have it under “lemon peel” instead of zest, but it’s totally just dried zest. I weirdly love zesting citrus fruits, so I’ve never actually bought the stuff…but everything they sell is amazing.

22 Rachel February 11, 2011 at 6:07 pm

OH and ps, they have locations in Houston and Dallas, I just checked!

23 Janet February 12, 2011 at 11:55 am

What kind of zesting apparatus do you use? I’ve had the most luck with a microplane on a handle, which I move around instead of the citrus

24 Teri [a foodie stays fit] February 12, 2011 at 3:26 pm

these sound amazing….I think I’ll them tomorrow morning! Do you think dried cherries would sub well for the cranberries?

25 Rachel February 13, 2011 at 10:43 am

Yes, definitely try with cherries!!

26 Runeatrepeat February 13, 2011 at 12:34 am

I always zest too much and then it’s bitter. And then I’m bitter too…

27 AliSue February 13, 2011 at 1:58 am

I hate zesting and though I have got tons of gadgets over the years I can’t find one that makes me happy. For Valentine’s Day I the craziness card from NeatThings on Etsy! It has a huge list on the front of it and you just check off what you love about that person! It is so hilarious, I can’t wait to see my boyfriends face!

28 anon February 15, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Yeah man, zesting is dangerous! I have this zester that pulls off the zest in a single long strip, like for cocktails:

I use this to take the zest off and then chop it up. It is sort of cheating, but much less harrowing.