Lemme Work It: DefineBody

by Rachel on February 17, 2011

In the two weeks since I started at DefineBody, I’ve worked it hard.

So hard, in fact, it was time for a reward.

Socks are required during all classes at Define, and they sell branded socks with these sticky nubs on the bottom that keep you from sliding around. Pretty much everyone who works out there wears them, and not having them made me feel like The New Girl. I could have bought them for myself, but I decided it would be the perfect reward for meeting a goal — I could live without them, so I knew I wouldn’t just cheat and buy them anyway, but they were something I really wanted and was willing to work for.

My goal for this first month was to go at least four times a week (more if possible, body and schedule permitting). So when I hit the halfway point this week, attending my eighth class right on schedule, I decided to buy the socks.

Not only do they have fantastic gripping properties, but they also make me fit in a little better and feel more confident. Which, to be honest, I need.

Some days I feel like I belong, and other days I feel like a bull in a china shop.

Each class has been so different from the one before it; I can’t believe I’ve only been to eight classes, because I feel like I’ve had so many different experiences. From different instructors to different times of day to different levels of stress and soreness to different outfits (it matters!)…each new class has felt like three new classes.

The only thing they have in common is that each of the eight classes has been hard in some way or another.

Some mornings I can kick ass in the 6:30 class and other mornings I get back in bed because once I stand up to get dressed, I realize my legs still feel weak from the day before, so I let them rest and rearrange my schedule to make it later that night.

Sometimes I set up my mat and weights and make eye contact with the other women, and they are nice and I feel like I’m going to make friends. Other times, the unfriendly face of another woman is enough to rattle me and doubt myself for an entire class.

During some classes, I love my instructors for their encouragement and hate my body for not doing what they (and I) want it to do; during other classes I hate my instructors for making me push my tight hip flexors to their limits, and tell my hips that the instructors just don’t understand. And I also have those wonderful moments where everything just feels good — the instructor’s moves are doable and my body is just doing them perfectly.

Sometimes I have to fight for the mental stamina more than the physical; other times my mind is totally focused and all I have to do is make my abs listen to it.

I realized yesterday that going to Define four times a week is starting to feel like as much of a commitment as running four times a week for marathon training did. I enjoy it more than running, but it’s also harder than running. To run, all I had to do was show up and get in motion and I could generally convince myself to stay that way. I did it alone, and I tracked mileage, but never speed. I didn’t have a group or a coach pushing me like I do now. While getting to Define is definitely part of the battle, with these classes, I have to do a lot more than just show up.

Every class has been different but each one tells me exactly where I’m weak and exactly where I’m strong.

But the socks are really helping.

1 Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes February 17, 2011 at 8:22 am

Congrats on the socks! Rewards along the way make it worth it. Sounds like you really made a commitment and you’re sticking to it — way to go!

I know that feeling of the “one unfriendly face” — it’s the little things like that that can kind of dampen a whole work out. Don’t let the haters get to you — and honestly, as you know, the face was probably about that person’s bad day or bad haircut or whatever was on her mind at the moment. If you show up four times a week, I think you’ll definitely make friends! Which will make it so much more fun as time goes on.

2 Rachel February 17, 2011 at 8:26 am

Thanks, lady!! That was a really good reminder.

3 Dori February 17, 2011 at 8:33 am

Oh I understand! And now I have a drawer full of exhale socks, although now they came out with the grippy Zem shoes, they provide even more traction so that’s what I wear! Movin’ on up. I totally get what you mean about fitting in with them. I feel like such a “regular” when I wear my Core Fusion socks or shoes.

Your experience sounds exactly like mine too, especially when I first started. I am so happy you are having this type of amazing experience. Really, all I want is for everyone to feel the way I do about this style of exercise, to understand why I love and crave it, so feel and see the improvements and benefits. If I ever do get to Houston, I will have to try a class with you!

And I am very excited to keep following your progress!

4 Rachel February 17, 2011 at 8:43 am

Whenever I feel like The New Girl and worry that everyone there is judging me, I try to think of you and remember that you’re The Regular and you wouldn’t be judging me (at least I hope not!). Knowing all your stories of how hard it was for you at first and then seeing you on the YogaVibes video working it makes me feel a lot better, like 1. I can get to that level if I work hard and 2. It’s a challenge for everyone!

5 Dori February 17, 2011 at 8:49 am

And seeing me on the YogaVibes still shaking as if it were my first time probably helps too. It really never gets easier. You get more comfortable being there, but it is always a very difficult workout. I wouldn’t be judging you because I am so focused and in my own head when I work out, I never notice or judge anyone around me. But remember that no one is judging you, everyone is thinking about themselves!

6 Anna February 17, 2011 at 9:01 am

I think it’s definitely true that attending class so often can be challenging. Sometimes I feel the same way about my martial arts classes, although I’ve learned recently that running can be just as hard–especially when you’re training for speed and races and so on. I’m coming off of a two-week hiatus and it’s definitely much harder to try and prepare myself for racing season now. I always thought running was easier until I tried to compete in races…now I know :)

7 Christie February 17, 2011 at 9:01 am

Girl, I just adore you and your blog. Always have.

I love that you aren’t afraid to admit that yea, shits hard! You do struggle. You do have to push your body beyond its limits.

Hadn’t commented in forever but just wanted to show some love!

~Christie

8 Alie February 17, 2011 at 9:24 am

Way to go! I’m doing two sessions a week with a personal trainer at my gym and even though its only half an hour I’m usually dead aftwards and can’t believe she made me do all things that I hate doing. I also went and bought some cute work out clothes (instead of sweats and old t-shirts) which help me fit in and feel better too :)

9 Gaby February 17, 2011 at 9:52 am

Woah! 4 Times a week?! You rock! And your body is also going to turn rock solid, those classes are hard! I need to go back, tell me when you go! Have you tried the Caliente one yet? I really liked that :)
Let’s get together for a Define date soon!

10 Rachel February 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I haven’t done it yet, just because it hasn’t fit into my schedule, but I’d like to! Let’s definitely plan a date soon!!

11 Alicia at Poise in Parma February 17, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I feel this way about my yoga class. Some days I feel so intimidated by the uber lean yogis who can knock out every arm balance and inversion known to man. Other days, I feel so empowered to be such a positive force in the room with my practice.

Your vulnerability in this post is beautiful by the way. Keep on keepin’ on lady.

12 Manon February 17, 2011 at 12:45 pm

agreed on the vulnerability….I love the way you keep it real…even confident bad asses have their vulnerable moments!

13 Sarah February 17, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I couldn’t agree more! Thanks for being real, Rachel!

14 Manon February 17, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I love socks….socks with a purpose are even better. Actually, while I’ve been stuck at home and my one good foot has to be in a non-skid, non-fun hospital sock, I need to design my own line of funky ones. If all you can do is lay around and stare at your feet, you should at least have a fun sock to look at!

15 Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic February 17, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I bought the same socks at Exhale when I first started Core Fusion, mostly to fit in too, but they really do help!

16 Dori February 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Yes, sliding forwards during waterski and chair are not fun times!

17 Rachel February 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Self-bribery is my favorite tool for motivation. Especially if it’s to keep you healthy (vs. buying candy at the airport to stave off an emotional meltdown when your flight is delayed, not that i’ve done that or anything…)

18 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Good for you for sticking with it, especially on the days when it would be easier to quit!

19 Caitlin February 17, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I can definitely relate with you on this one. I think I’ve said it before, but I am seriously the least capable of almost everything in my CrossFit classes. That doesn’t mean I can’t do it, it just means I am usually the last one to finish or have the lowest reps posted. I could let it frustrate me, but I really try to remember that this is MY workout, MY body and MY abilities. We all start where we start and work our way up from there. That doesn’t mean I don’t get pissed at my body and my trainers – because oh girl I do – but I don’t let it destroy my confidence.

Also, four times a week?? I wish I could afford that – both financially and physically. You are amazing!

20 Parita@myinnershakti February 17, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Hi Rachel! I just found your blog yesterday, and I love it already! You are hilarious! Love it! Great job with the new gym and classes!! I know exactly what you mean when talk about how off-putting it is to have a woman not even smile before a class. I always feel like saying, “What is your problem?!,” but instead just keep it in my head. Anyways, I can’t wait to follow along!

21 Angela (the diet book junkie) February 17, 2011 at 6:04 pm

ah…those socks remind me of grippy socks i had as a kid! i used to LOVE those!!!

that class sounds really intense! in a class setting, i’ve only taken yoga, and one zumba class i failed miserably at. turns out my hips don’t move side-to-side, which is great for running, BAD for dancing…. :)

22 Audrey February 18, 2011 at 1:37 am

I just started taking Bodypump and I too am trying to push myself to try it 3 or 4x a week. I dunno what my reward will be if I complete two weeks… Anyways, I just want to let you know I love reading your blog!

23 Marci February 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Do you go to Define in River Oaks? I’m sure we live really close to each other. Four times a week is a lot to commit! Way to go.

24 Rachel February 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I actually go to Tanglewood — it’s much closer to me! But if you ever want to meet up for a class, let me know!

25 melissa February 22, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I’m a Core Fusion regular, and my friend and I always talk about how DEEPLY AWKWARD those moments before class starts can be. My theory is that it’s because when you go to a studio like that with the same class all day, people don’t necessarily develop a routine time to go (as you said you’re doing), so you might go with a different group of people every. single. time. so you may never get to know any familiar faces. Also, I try to remind myself as a regular to be welcoming and smile at people when they come in.

And I like the socks, too. I just wore regular ones today because mine were dirty, and I felt ridiculously self-conscious about it at the beginning of class, even though a bunch of the girls in the class said it was only their second class.