You Are My Sunshine

by Rachel on February 18, 2011

The other day, Eric said he had a “surprise” for me in the back of his car. I told him that my mom had told me never to listen to men who told me things like that.

But I’m materialistic, so I decided to disobey my mother’s warning and risk a worst-case scenario and thank goodness I did! In the back of the Bumblebee, I found a “random just-because-he-felt-like-it February 17th” gift!

So even though it’s cloudy in Houston right now, I’ve got something to brighten my day…

He’s a good boyfriend.

I borrowed his vintagey Book It! T-shirt (!!) to wear with them and I’m feeling rather sunny, despite the fact that it looks like April showers outside.

And the timing could not be better (OK, well, it could have been better, but that’s in the past now) — the shoes are perfect to wear to Galveston tomorrow for a beach BBQ! One of my best friends from college, Jordan, flew into Texas this week for a wedding and has invited Eric and me to the post-wedding party going on tomorrow. Jordan and I met when we studied abroad together in the UK. There is so much I could say about him, but let’s start with the fact that he is the friend who gave me my first tequila shot. He taught me how to lick the salt and bite the lime at a bar called Saucy Mary’s on the Isle of Skye, and our bond — and my love for tequila — has been cemented ever since.

Oh and it just happens to be his birthday today — a day I’ve been a part of in many years past (margarita cupcakes, anyone?) and so am excited to be part of again tomorrow!

I love Fridays and today, I can feel spring in the air and I’m so exited for the mini-road trip, the margaritas we’ll be drinking, and really, the fact that one of my best friends — who, as college went on, saw me at my most heartbroken and realized that introducing me to tequila was both a blessing and a curse — gets to meet the guy whose worst offense is his timeliness in presenting me with fabulous Valentine’s Day gift, an offense that does not make me want (need?) to drink tequila.

But we all know I think he’s a good guy; I’m really excited to let someone who knows me as well as Jordan judge him.

What are you all up to this weekend? Anything fabulous? Is it feeling like spring where you are?

Happy Friday!

1 shelby February 18, 2011 at 10:38 am

Oh, it is totally boat-shoes weather here. 75 and sunny.

Enjoy the BBQ! Not much excitement here this weekend – just work and a long run!

2 Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes February 18, 2011 at 10:44 am

SUCH cute shoes — total mood-boosters :) It is, unfortunately, far from spring here in sunny, bitterly cold Chicago. But as a midwestern girl, I’m sure you know that on February 18th, no one around here expects anything different! :)

Have a great weekend!

3 Sidney February 18, 2011 at 10:56 am

those are awesome! i wonder if i could find them in orange! i have a new orange hair clip that would sett hem off quite nicely!
its warm here in chicago too, and we are now in the big melt after snowmageddon! have a great time this weekend, me and don julio (wink!) wish you happy drinks!

4 Rachel February 18, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I saw them in orange on a few sites, and I think there were a few different shades…here are the patent ones: orange patent and bright orange patent. Love the bright colors!

5 Rachel's Mom February 18, 2011 at 10:59 am

Well, at least he didn’t have a purple elephant in the backseat for you.

And, knowing how you can be a bit clumsy, if you drop a big glob of BBQ sauce on them this weekend, you can just wipe it off, since they are patent-leather. Just don’t get it on the laces!

6 Hangrypants February 18, 2011 at 11:00 am

I love those shoes and the surprise. I love surprises, but am usually too nosey to ever be surprised.

7 Rachel February 18, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Oh, I was being sarcastic about the surprise…I love surprises, but these are the shoes I picked out for Valentine’s Day, that obviously did not show up on Valentine’s Day.

Regardless, I still love them.

8 Dori February 18, 2011 at 11:04 am

Nice! Love the shoes, they are so you. I’m heading out to the Seattles this weekend to see my baby brother, sister-in-law and the pup.

9 Jane February 18, 2011 at 11:17 am

Picture of the Book It! t-shirt, please? I’m intrigued and excited by this.

10 Tenecia February 18, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I second Jane’s request!! I was the QUEEN of Book it when I was younger!!!! Do you think Eric would mind shipping the shirt to AZ so I could borrow it?? :)

T.

11 Rachel February 18, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I LOVED Book-It!! Reward nerdy bookworms with FOOD?! Um, sign me up. Now I’m craving a personal pan pizza.

Anyway, here is the shirt! I have it tied up in back to fit cuter.

He doesn’t like to share it, so I should probably just find out where he bought it and see if I can buy my own!

12 Tenecia February 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Exactly!!!! I was willing to read every Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys book published for a free personalized pan pizza!! Those were the good o’ days!

And I MUST purchase a shirt for myself…it won’t look as cute on me as it does on you…but I still need to have one…lol…so tell Eric to hook me up with the store info!! ;)

T.

13 Tenecia February 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

*oops….that should read “personal” not “personalized”!

T.

14 Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal February 18, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I need that shirt too! (not to mention the shoes!) It’s a good think we are from different states, Rachel, because I certainly was the Queen of Book It, at least in Florida!

15 Rachael February 18, 2011 at 11:32 am

So I was super unsure of these shoes when you first mentioned them (twitter, facebook, blog? Who knows.) but now that I see them with your skinnies and skin color, heck yes they look CUTE. I want a pair. They sorta resemble the $70 moccasins I from Nordy’s I wore ONCE … perhaps I should bust those babes back out.

16 Rachel February 18, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Love the shoes and, being equally materialistic, love surprise gifts! PS very jealous of your Galveston trip. My grandma lived when I was growing up, so many fun memories! And knowing Texas weather, it’ll be beautiful blue skies tomorrow and my mom will call me to brag about it. Bitch.

17 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Cute shoes! That’s such a thoughtful surprise!!

18 Manon February 18, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I’m in LOVE with those shoes!!! Sounds like you have a super fun weekend planned! I’m finally putting REAL pants on (assuming they fit after 3 weeks of laying on my ass) and hobbling out for a sushi date with Chandra since I’m finally off bedrest–if I’m feeling REALLY sassy, I might bribe someone to take me to SuperTarget so I can be reunited with my true love and cruise the aisles on a scooter. Livin’ the DREAM!

19 Mary @ stylefyles February 18, 2011 at 2:31 pm

NICE! so he made up for the terrifying Valentine’s Day. Well done, sir. Well done.

20 Natalie @ Scarlett Notions February 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm

78 and sunny here in Dallas. Loving it! And can I just say that your “BookIt!” reference led me to their website…and they are selling the vintage version of the shirt! Hooray!

21 Mel February 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Super cute shoes!! My heart always melts when I get to introduce and combine my lover & friends, can’t get better than having every one you love, love each other! Have a funnnn weekend!!

22 Stephanie February 18, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Nice save this week, Eric. Nice save. :)

23 Mallory February 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm

so many things i could say, but the two most important are:
1) LOVE those shoes!!!!
2) did you study in scotland?! i was there for a semester in 07, and am currently plotting ways to get back there :) made me all warm & fuzzy & happy inside when i read Isle of Skye…

24 Lea February 19, 2011 at 7:14 am

Well, I never would have realized that these were patent leather if I hadn’t read through the comments (thanks to Rachel’s mom! ). They are very cute! Plus, I know you provided Eric with a list, but still, these are a great Valentine’s Day present–much better than more typical stuff like candy and flowers (though I know you got some of that as well!).

25 Lauren at KeepItSweet February 19, 2011 at 7:38 am

Have a wonderful time this weekend! Hopefully Jordan will approve:-) I could use a sunny pair of shoes!

26 Angela (the diet book junkie) February 20, 2011 at 4:36 pm

aw, getting gifts when you least expect it is the best. hope you’re enjoying your weekend! mine included Sydney’s largest wine event and a whole lot of nothing else. :)

27 Rachel February 21, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Those might just be the cutest little shoes I ever did see! And it’s definitely not feeling spring-y in Boston. It hit 60 the other day, but it’s going to be 9 tonight. Talk about a tease.