Rise & Dine: Artichoke Strata

by Rachel on March 2, 2011

Good morning, sunshine!

I don’t know about you, but I wake up hungry. And just like I’m a meat-and-potatoes girl for dinner, I’m a bacon-and-eggs girl for breakfast. Unfortunately, making bacon and eggs every morning has been slowing me down, and I wanted to speed up that process. A make-ahead egg recipe seemed like a good idea, and I’ve been keeping an eye out for a new one.

Sunday evening, I was flipping through “Cooking Light.” Everything looked good, of course, but nothing was jumping out at me as The Thing I Want to Make This Week. Then I came across the artichoke and goat cheese strata toward the end and, minutes later, was putting on pants so I could go to the grocery store.

(I like to relax with magazines in various states of undress — in this case, boxer shorts that could best be called “cheeky.”)

I did make one substitution: I cut the bread in half and added sausage. If you’re a vegetarian, you can just put your thing down, flip it, and reverse it, and just use twice as much bread as I do here. But I do like getting porked first thing in the morning.

This is How We Do It

Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add 1 tsp olive oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add 4 ounces ground sausage (I used light turkey sausage) and 1/2 cup finely minced shallots (one big bulb should do it) and cook for two minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in one package (10 ounces) thawed artichoke hearts and two cloves of garlic, minced; cook for about eight minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is cooked and the artichoke hearts have begun to brown. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 tsp herbes de Provence. Then let cool for ten minutes.

Meanwhile, combine 1 and 3/4 cups 1 percent milk, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp salt, and 4 large eggs in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and 2 and 1/2 cups cubed white country-style bread (I used about three slices of bread). Toss gently to combine.

One nice thing about this recipe is that you can prepare it the night before and cook in the morning, if you’re planning for a Sunday morning bangover or just brunch with your boyfriend’s parents. (Um, but hopefully not both.) If that is your plan, stop here and put each mixture in the fridge (separately) in airtight containers. The next morning, remove both mixtures from the fridge, let stand at room temperature for ten minutes, and then continue on…

Stir the sausage mixture into the egg mixture and let stand for 20 minutes.

Spoon half of bread mixture into an 8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese, and top with remaining bread mixture. Sprinkle an additional 1/4 cup goat cheese over the top. Bake at 375 for 50 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

You can eat it…or you can let it cool for about 10 minutes, cover it with foil, and put the whole pan in the fridge. The next morning, you can cut it into four pieces (or six, if you feel like sharing), put a piece in the microwave for about 45 seconds, and have a hearty breakfast ready!

I made the strata on Sunday night while watching the Academy Awards (even though awards shows make me want to not eat). Monday morning, I was happy to have a filling and healthy breakfast waiting for me, and even happier to cut about 20 minutes out of my routine by not having to deal with making bacon and eggs or doing dishes. Prepared ahead of time, it also makes a great lunch or post-evening workout dinner. And now that I have the basic formula down, I might substitute spinach, bacon, and feta for the artichokes, sausage, and goat cheese next time.

Oh, and speaking of trashy food, I took one bite of this and then doused it in ketchup. I’m a condiment girl. My apologies I have no apologies.

What sort of breakfasts do you like? Bacon and eggs? Cold cereal? Yesterday was National Pancake Day, but that’s so not my style! What is yours?

1 Smash March 2, 2011 at 10:01 am

Wow, this sounds great. Haven’t had strata before but definitely sounds like something I’d try soon. I’m a savory breakfast kinda gal… no cereal or pancakes for me. I’m much rather than something with eggs!

2 Natalie @ Scarlett Notions March 2, 2011 at 10:11 am

“My apologies I have no apologies.” – Love it! I am a voracious breakfast eater, but a horrible breakfast preparer. Usually I’m downing Golden Grahams while hopping into my tights. I’ll try this recipe out!

3 Stina March 2, 2011 at 10:29 am

I’m a breakfast slut. Seriously, I will eat any kind of breakfast food any time of day. I’m having leftover pancakes for lunch today. Generally in the morning I stick to some sort of eggs or maybe oatmeal if it’s cold out.

This looks absolutely amazing, and I will definitely be trying it soon. Was it in the current inssue of CL? I’ve been through it twice, how the hell did I miss this recipe!?

4 Rachel March 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

Yep, current issue! In the casseroles piece at the end!

5 Rachel March 2, 2011 at 10:45 am

This looks amazing! We totally could have used something like this when we were up in New Hampshire, instead of me being assigned making the ENTIRE family omelets, bacon, toast and coffee. That stuff takes TIME.

We also like to make frittatas in my family – usually with half whole eggs/half egg whites, cheese of choice, asparagus and broccoli. YUM.

Great post Rachel : )

6 Liz March 2, 2011 at 10:52 am

My go to breakfasts are : oatmeal with nut butter or toast with hummus and avocado!

7 Dori March 2, 2011 at 10:54 am

This sounds AMAZING. I am a huge fan of egg/goat cheese combinations. I am going to ask my friend Melissa who cooks food to make it for me.

8 Rachel March 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

haha

9 Cat @ YoungFoolishHungry March 2, 2011 at 10:56 am

I could probably eat cold cereal and pancakes for every meal, but my Mom does make an amazing egg and sausage casserole that I love! This strata looks like a good breakfast-for-dinner meal!

10 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle March 2, 2011 at 11:53 am

During the week I like the same smaller things…yogurt bowl, cereal, oatmeal…but on the weekend, I like to go big. French toast, some sort of meat side (bacon or sausage)…or waffles. I’m very very rarely a bacon and eggs girl…I like my eggs in baked goods or in sandwiches only.

11 Manon March 2, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Slobber slobber drool drool………totally making this, or begging someone else to make it for me since I haven’t quite figured out how to sit and cook quite yet–that’s my project for this weekend though!

12 Kaytee March 2, 2011 at 12:09 pm

During the week, I have a fruit smoothie and a piece of nut butter toast every day. It’s probably super boring, but it works well for me. On the weekends, though, I want eggs & bacon for breakfast. And coffee. Add hashbrowns with ketchup if I’m hung over. Pancakes aren’t really my thing either, but my boyfriend loves them, especially chocolate chip, so I oblige sometimes.

13 Rachel March 2, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Same! I have like A bite, but then I’m like, Bring on the hashbrowns and ketchup!!

14 Sable March 2, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I am an oatmeal and eggs kinda girl! Or eggs and pancakes. Or eggs and french toast. Are we seeing a pattern here? :) Oh, and there is ALWAYS coffee involved. No exceptions. Not even if we’re out — I will go to the store and BUY coffee, drive home and make breakfast.

15 Parita @ myinnershakti March 2, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Oatmeal and coffee is the perfect breakfast in my opinion, followed closely by chocolate chip banana walnut pancakes and a big glass of milk. YUM!

16 Sarah March 2, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I love making Frittatas and then eating them for breakfast for four days! Four eggs, four egg whites and some sort of meat. Then add some veggies and cheese. Very good for breakfasts!!

17 Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) March 2, 2011 at 1:10 pm

that strata looks so bomb!!

18 Clare @ Fitting It All In March 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I’m 100% a yogurt and oats girl for breakfast! I can only have the egg stuff if it is a bit later in the morning (like post-night out). I dig BFD though!

19 Melissa March 2, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I love breakfast food, but I’m never really hungry for a big meal before noon. Still, I love savory breakfasts like Huevos Rancheros! MMMM!!! I love pancakes & french toast, too, though, so I guess I’m equal opportunity with my breakfast food love! :)

20 Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight March 2, 2011 at 2:52 pm

NOTHING wrong with being porked first thing in the morning! Hell, anytime of day works, as long as it’s a good pork!!

I’m hoping the USPS/Cooking Light received my change of address so that issue will find it’s way to me. If not, I can always find the recipe on their website. Looks amazing!

21 Paige March 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I’m not especially picky about breakfast foods, and I’m totally fine with eating leftovers or “lunch foods” in place of standard breakfast stuff. Honestly, I’d eat a black bean burrito for breakfast every day if I could (aaaand sometimes I do). This recipe looks super tasty!

22 Rachel March 2, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Mmmm I love when people get creative and have non-breakfast foods for breakfast!!

23 Angela (the diet book junkie) March 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm

cereal is my crack. seriously. i’ve had it every morning for like YEARS. haha…no wonder i don’t write a food blog. :P

24 Nicole March 2, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I am obsessed with artichokes. I am salivating just looking at that! I’ll probably try something like this for dinner this week. Great inspiration!

25 Christie March 2, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I also love to get porked in the morning! Favorite breakfast ever: French toast and sausage links. I have gotten the Smart Ones version and the sausage links are so tiny that they are only one biters.

But still damned good and pretty guilt free. If you dont mind gobbling your whole sausage in one easy bite first thing in the morning, you know what I am saying?

26 Jane March 2, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I’m an incredible creature of habit in general and I have a digestive disease to boot, so I eat the same thing every morning: half a cup of oatmeal with about half a cup of almond milk, a tablespoon of both wheat germ and ground flax seed, cinnamon, and, if I have one, a banana mixed into it. The banana makes it creamy and delicious, but I like it even without. I suspect I’m the only person on earth who truly enjoys flax.

27 Rachel's Mom March 3, 2011 at 7:38 am

I wonder if you could just make Rachel Ray’s “Late-Night Bacon” with this, even though it’s in the morning? :)

For those of you who missed this stellar (ridiculous) recipie: