You (All) Say It’s Your Birthday

by Rachel on March 8, 2011

Last night I went to the grocery store and picked up two pounds of powdered sugar.

Plus flour, regular sugar, sprinkles, cupcake liners, and a shit-ton of other ingredients.

Somebody has a birthday coming up!

Here’s the thing: when I say “somebody,” I sort of mean “everybody.” I’ve been in celebration mode for three weeks and it’s not letting up any time soon!

Julia and Jordan had birthdays in late February, as did my other good friend from college, Erica. Last weekend, it was my former intern/good friend Aaron, while my other former intern /good friend Nikki has a birthday on the 20th. And things get really crazy this week: one of my best friends, Lauren, turns 25 tomorrow, and Leah and Eric have their birthdays on Friday!

(Have I ever told you guys that Leah and Eric have the same birthday? That’s sort of how they met on Tumblr. Eric had come across her blog and then saw that it was her birthday, so he de-lurked and e-mailed her to say, Hey, we’re birthday twins! and they just became buddies from there. So…thanks, March 11th!)

I wasn’t sure why most of the people I’m closest to are Pisces, so I turned to Susan Miller of my favorite horoscope site Astrology Zone.

The roaring Lion and the gentle Fish — sounds like an unlikely pairing. But in an odd way, this relationship works many times, even though astrologically it is not a classic pairing. Your Pisces lover is sentimental, emotional, and deeply romantic. They will adore your outgoing ways, your warm-hearted generosity, and your penchant for parties.

It goes on and on, and the whole explanation on Leos and Pisces in love could not be more true for Eric and me. But I think a lot of the same things that work in love are the things that work with my closest friends.

Leo is a highly creative sign and so is Pisces, so don’t underestimate how dynamic this match can be. Pisces likes Leos’ generosity, strength and moxie, and Leo adore Pisces’ gentle sensitivity and vision. Together, these signs can make an amazing contribution to the world, especially in terms of the arts and literature. Leos can inspire the courage that Pisces need to develop within themselves. In return, Pisces give Leos a lesson in subtlety — something the Lion often misses.

(Speaking of astrological bonds…last year, in late November/early December, after I’d seen the birthday of yet another guy I’d dated/banged/loved/lost show up on Facebook, I also did a little search on what it says about Leo and Sagittarius. Unsurprisingly, it said we had the best chemistry and were a great match…perhaps the problem was the fact that, according to Susan Miller, “Sagittarius don’t want to be fenced in, so give them lots of room to roam.” Yup.)

Anyway, all of my February- and March-born friends are compassionate and open-minded (“Pisces rules the feet, so they walk easily in the shoes of others”) and very emotional. And when I say “emotional,” I don’t mean they burst into tears at the drop of a hat — I just mean they have a lot of emotions. They think about things. They care about things. They really feel things. They are like the girl in “Mean Girls” who says “I just have a lot of feelings.” And what I love is that they like to talk about the things they are feeling.

I’m attracted to people who emote. God knows, I emote everywhere, all the time, and love to talk about it, so I bond easily with people who emote. These are the people in my life I can talk to for hours. They are the people I can (and do!) talk to nearly every day and not get bored.

And now it’s time to celebrate their new years!

I’m not really a birthday person when it comes to my birthday. Of course, I like celebrating my birthday, but any kid who has a birthday over the summer learns quickly that their birthday is just not important. And the first week of August is apparently when most people take their last summer trip before school starts, so not only did I not get to bring in treats to school — pretty much everyone was out of town when I tried to have parties. (This is still the case.) I got over my birthday a long time ago.

On the other hand, I’m totally a birthday person when it comes to my friends. I like celebrating birthdays for the same reason I like celebrating Christmas and Valentine’s Day: it’s an excuse to gift! And to gift with food and presents and surprises and fun experiences! What can I say? I love everything that goes into making birthdays special.

Last night, when I was out picking up all the sweets and supplies for Eric’s birthday this weekend (sorry to Lauren and Leah, but these treats won’t travel well!), I found myself getting so excited for his birthday. So excited, in fact, that I wanted to tell him all about the things I was going to cook for him. And tell him about all the presents I’d gotten for him. And see if maybe he wants to open one present a day early, just because! I think usually the birthday person is requesting this, and not the other way around, but I can’t help myself. What’s better than an excuse to celebrate someone you love? And in that sense, a birthday is better than Valentine’s Day or Christmas because that person gets to feel all the love. And baked goods.

Unless, of course, their birthdays are all around the same time, or even on the same day. The way I’m shopping for cards and gifts and sugar, it’s pretty much just like Christmas or Valentine’s Day. ‘Tis the birthday season!

Are you a birthday person? Do you like to celebrate your birthday or others’ birthdays more?

1 Dori March 8, 2011 at 10:17 am

I am a MAJOR birthday person. I love my birthday because people who know me have to not only be nice to me, but pay attention to me. Everyone who comes to celebrate has to focus on me and also, buy me drinks. It is a day where I am special all day long. And it is this month!

Too bad I don’t have anyone to bake anything with powdered sugar for me!

2 Suzanne March 8, 2011 at 10:26 am

My birthday is the day after Christmas. I know what you mean when you say your birthday gets forgotten. I got over it pretty quickly, too. Now as an adult I see the plus side, though, since I can always get away with taking the day off work that day and in college, when my friends born a couple weeks before me often had to take exams on their birthdays, I didn’t have to do any work at all. I guess it pays off in the end :)

3 Angela March 8, 2011 at 10:28 am

Mine is this Thursday. :D I loved my birthdays until about 35 and now it’s like, oh, yeah, it’s my birthday. Ooookay. :D Doesn’t mean it’s bad, just not as important as it once was. I guess it’s because Bob makes me feel important everyday.

Happy Birthday to Eric!

4 Natalie @ Scarlett Notions March 8, 2011 at 10:28 am

I feel ya – my birthday is ALWAYS over Memorial Day weekend. It’s great, now, due to a long weekend and such. But as a kid, everyone was out of town…

5 Eunice March 8, 2011 at 10:36 am

Pisces really are the best aren’t they? I didn’t celebrate my birthday for the first 20 years of my life, but now I am totally a birthday person. In fact, February was my birthday month. I have to go check what Astrology Zone says about Pisces and Taurus. Hmm…

6 Angie Nikolas March 8, 2011 at 10:44 am

I LOVE gift giving. I am always the one asking people to open their present from me early…or begging for me to be able to give them a hint!

I also totally relate on the “my childhood ruined my birth date” thing. My birthday is the day after Christmas, so there was NEVER a chance to bring treats to school and zero people around to have a party with. My mom tried to recover from her piss poor planning of birthing me following Jesus’ b-day with summer parties on my half birthday, but still, that compromise did NOT offer treats at school.

However, her planning does allow for me to remind people of my birthday by saying, “First Jesus was born, then me.” So I guess there’s that…

7 Jen March 8, 2011 at 10:47 am

Try a 4th of January Birthday… Everyone is till hungover from New Year, Going back to work after the Christmas break and flat broke… I would love an August birthday!! : )

8 Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 8, 2011 at 10:56 am

I love celebrating other people’s birthdays! It is so much more fun to plan for someone else than yourself. I also don’t love being center of attention so I’m not big on my own birthday parties.

9 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle March 8, 2011 at 11:27 am

The one thing that stinks about having a summer birthday is that you don’t get cupcakes brought into school for your birthday…or if you were like me, all the summer birthdays got lumped into one big party because you know, us summer babies aren’t cool enough to have our OWN day like everyone else does, but hey, a cupcake is a cupcake.

I celebrate my birthday just because I have the best birthday in the WORLD. Yep it’s true. I was born on the 4th of July :) Everyone parties on my birthday!

10 Christa March 8, 2011 at 11:32 am

My daddy’s birthday is Friday too!!!! AND my mom’s sister. Wonder what goes on 9 months before March 11th? I am totally like you when it comes to birthdays…it’s not that I hate mine (beginning of May), I just dont like all that attention on me. It’s like I hate to build it all up in my head and not have it work out like I planned. BUT I LOVE MY FRIEND’S BIRTHDAYS!!!!! I love planning the parties and buying the gifts, baking the cupcakes, and doing the themes; I’m crazy and it’s great! :)

11 Caitlin March 8, 2011 at 11:40 am

As you know I LOVE birthdays. Themed gifts are probably one of my favorite things to plan and execute so I am all about celebrating. For myself, it definitely gets a little less exciting each year, but I think that’s to be expected with age. (Although this year was pretty freaking fabulous – thank you!)

Also, I feel like I was meant to be born in March because SO many of those characteristics are ones I have, too. You want to talk about someone who feels? Oh my, yes. Perhaps you should check out what it says about Libras, too!

12 Katie March 8, 2011 at 11:43 am

I moved in with friends of a friend (good reference) and every time I’m asked about my living sitch, I say that we are all such a good match because we’re really independent and do our own thing but then can also sit down and have great discussions about anything. I just realized 3 of the 4 in the house are Geminis- how fitting. May/June is going to be full of birthdays! I love celebrating birthdays but I need to set up a better card/gift reminder method since so many people are far from me.

13 Savannah March 8, 2011 at 11:44 am

I LOVE Birthdays! Mine and those of my family and friends. I love planning parties, buying gifts, and cooking special things for the birthday person. I love my birthday too and use it as a time to go all out and live the kind of life that I wish I could live everyday (lots of cupcakes, champagne, and fashion). The only downside is that my birthday is in November, right before Thanksgiving. People are always broke or saving for Christmas. My family celebration always gets lumped in with Thanksgiving dinner but it isn’t that bad. I get to have two celebrations pretty close to each other and I still get money in my birthday card from my Grandma. That’s always the best :)

14 Michelle March 8, 2011 at 11:52 am

My birthday is August 6, so I feel your summer birthday pain. In middle school I actually had a birthday party in May so that my friends would be there for it!

15 Sable March 8, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I love others’ birthdays! :) I love brainstorming a gift idea, making it happen, finding cards (I always get people 2 cards: one serious, one hilarious — the hilarious doesn’t even have to be a bday card), baking and cooking and planning a meal… Love it!

My birthday is usually a low-key affair though…usually a meal out (what can I say, my mister can’t cook unless it’s on a grill) and I usually make myself cupcakes or a cake, lol!

16 Teri [a foodie stays fit] March 8, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I LOVE celebrating my birthday. I found a relay race through the Blue Ridge Mountains that starts on my birthday and I’m thinking I should do that – and notify the race directors that the race will be a giant party for me.

17 Kali March 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I love my August birthday. I kind of feel like the whole summer is in my honour.

That said, my 26th, in 2014, will be the hundred year anniversary of the start of WW1. So I’m thinking of celebrating on a totally different date that year. Maybe December.

18 Melissa March 8, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I hizate my own birthday in the worst way, but LOVE to celebrate other people’s! I can spend days planning menus, desserts, decorations, gifts, etc. etc. etc.! Reading about Pisces and their feelings had me nodding–my Pisces friends are *just* like that and I totally love them for it!

19 M March 8, 2011 at 1:15 pm

My birthday is March 15th, and two of my best friends are Leos–our relationship is exactly like you described. We are so different in terms of feelings/attitude, but I think we really compliment each other. I appreciate their spark and confidence and I think they appreciate that I am kind of sensative and emotional and really like to talk about feelings…I love Astrology, I think it’s so accurate! Happy birthday to Eric!

Oh, and my birthday has always fallen over spring break. It sucked in elementary/high school but then I got to college and always had big parties the first weekend back, when everyone was pumped about going out. So it worked out well.

20 Rachel March 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm

These pictures just made me feel all warm & fuzzy inside. I LOVE birthdays and I LOVE celebrations. I have to say I like other people’s birthdays more. I love giving gifts, baking pretty things and holding surprises. Plus I’m scared of surprises and get too anxious waiting for them, so I’d much rather be the giver : ) Great post Rachel!

21 Hannah March 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I am totally a birthday person, whether it be my own or someone else’s. It’s more fun if you spend the time celebrating it. Of course, I live with a family who will use almost any excuse to have a party.
My birthday falls during October, so I’ve had a cold for a decent percentage of my birthdays.

22 Eirinn March 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Love this post! My boyfriends birthday is friday too so I’ve been on the same page! Except he has been working in TX for 6 weeks and I will be flying there Thursday to celebrate with him and bring him home! Hope you guys have an awesome celebration.

23 Clare @ Fitting It All In March 8, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I love any occassion when I can buy other people gifts. I live for finding that perfect item that they never knew they wanted!

24 Rachel L March 8, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I intern at a non-profit that deals with children and education, and it seems that all of the interns and some of the volunteers have birthdays in the December/January/February range…maybe our signs have something to do with the type of work we’re attracted to? I’ve been with so many other Aquarius’s in one place in my life!

25 Lindsey March 8, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I, too, have recently noticed the Leo-Pisces connection! Three of my closest friends have had birthdays this week.

I certainly agree with you about having a summer birthday. I’ve always been pretty ‘meh’ about celebrating my birthday, while going completely over the top for my friends. Since my birthday is August 1, however, I feel entitled to claiming “birthday brat” privileges for the entire month.

26 Manon March 8, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I’m like you….really couldn’t care less about my own birthday, but I LOVE celebrating other people’s birthdays, for pretty much the same reason you do…..I love gifting, love cooking for them, and I looooove buying birthday cards!

27 Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily March 8, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I am not a birthday person in any shape or form. When I was younger my mom literally had to force me or trick me into having a birthday. Goodtimes??

28 Hima March 8, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Like you, I also have an August birthday and am not a birthday person when it comes to my own. The worst is when everyone is singing “Happy Birthday”. I never know what I’m supposed to do … I always feel so awkward and want it over as soon as possible!

As a kid though, I did always wish I had a birthday during the school year so I could bring treats. I did get to once … my birthday twin at Powers and I brought in treats to celebrate our half birthday in February with our HH class.

29 Parita @ myinnershakti March 8, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Definitely love celebrating other people’s birthdays more than my own…don’t know why. Have a super fun time celebrating!

30 Caitlin (EatFeats) March 9, 2011 at 12:56 am

Many people I know were also born in March (or December). I think it has to do with when people like to have sex.

31 Kavi March 9, 2011 at 8:14 am

I love celebrating birthdays, mine and others’! I hear you on bday seasons… a large number of my friends were born in February and October… fellow air signs! Susan Miller is always spot-on ;)

32 Allie March 9, 2011 at 10:28 am

I’m such a birthday person. I love celebrating mine and everyone else’s I know. It’s especially fun to bake treats and pick out gifts.

33 christine March 18, 2011 at 8:37 pm

my birthday was the 8th so I’m a pisces, too. no wonder I like you so much :)