Feeling Lucky

by Rachel on March 16, 2011

Uh, apparently tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day. How am I just now remembering one of my favorite holidays?

Perhaps it’s just not as important of a holiday when you leave college and get a “real job.”

And maybe “breakfast beers” don’t exist in workplace culture the same way they do in university culture.

Sad.

The good news is, it’s still possible celebrate in a grown-up way! Here are some of my post from last year on the topic that will help you get in the spirit:

Shamrock Out with Your Cock Out Brownies (Black and tan Guinness brownies made with the Perfect Brownie Pan!)

Shedding It & Kegging It: Cooking with Beer (Beer — it’s what’s for dinner.)

Beef and Guinness Stew (Um, see above.)

Shedding It & Kegging It (But Getting It) (One of my favorite advice posts of all time, especially for college students!)

Even if green isn’t your color, I think you can still get through tomorrow without getting pinched or getting wasted. Just bring food!

Does anyone have St. Patty’s plans? And does anyone not in college have St. Patty’s plans? Or do we give that up when we become adults?

1 Stephanie March 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I’ll wear green. Drink a green smoothie. Eat a salad. Pinch people. Steam some broccoli. Normal stuff.

2 Leah @ L4L March 16, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Huz had a work potluck today that was Irish themed. I made Irish Car Bomb cupcakes for the occasion. Tomorrow night, we are going to a friends for black & tans, corned beef, and green beer. I’m going to bring a potato soup.

3 Tenecia March 16, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Irish Car Bomb cupcakes?!?!?! WHAT?!?!? Why don’t I know about these?!?!?!

T.

4 Dori March 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I will make it a point to not wear green tomorrow because I am a grinch.

5 Summer March 16, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Um, I considered “Beer Drinking” my minor in college, and I can safely say I use it more than the major part of my degree. Luckily there are a slew of bars within in walking distance of my house. Not to mention, having red hair and green eyes and pale Whitey McWhite girl skin demands I celebrate the holiday.

Also, I can vouch for the black-and-tan brownies: I made them last year (also using the perfect pan!) and they were fabulous! I had a little batter leftover and made brownie bites with a mini muffin pan.

6 Brittney March 16, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I am taking a half day at work tomorrow so I get started early (I did this last year too) and go to one Irish bar for lunch and drinking, then another for late afternoon/evening festivities! I LOVE St. Paddy’s Day! Especially since I have an Irish last name now (by marriage)!

7 Kristi March 16, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I’ll be celebrating with the Zac Brown Band and 100,000 other people at the HLSR! With blinking green shamrock earrings, of course.

8 Clare @ Fitting It All In March 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I’m not taking the day off work, but I celebrated this past weekend. It’s my favorite holiday!

9 Chelsei B March 16, 2011 at 3:09 pm

We are going to an Irish pub for happy hour after work here in Orlando.

I am actually from Houston and there are lots of places to go! Bakers Street, Brien O’Neils, Sherlocks… so many awesome places to go get your green beer happy hour on and still be in bed at a respectable/big girl job to go to in the morning time!

10 Nellie March 16, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I am pretty sure I interned with the guys you are sandwiched between. That sounds bad. No. You know what I mean. Small freaking world.

11 Rachel March 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Really?! Where??

12 nellie March 16, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Unilever anti-perspirant/deodorant. They were brand marketing interns and I think they both went to U of M and got recruited that way. Michael & Mark. If that rings a bell.

13 Rachel March 17, 2011 at 9:55 am

Hm…well those guys are named Jordan and Sean and we all went to MSU together and they didn’t intern at Unilever….sounds like they had some doppelgangers though!

14 Sable March 16, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Um wow. Just had to say… I just forgot I was a college student? Yeah. I was going to say “I’M NOT A STUDENT AND I HAVE PLANS” and then I was like, Um Sable, you ARE a student you are just on spring break. WOW. And I’m not even drunk!

15 Michelle March 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I was the same way, completely forgot I was in school right now! Except I don’t drink (WHAT? I know, I must be crazy ;) ).

I’m back home in Houston for the break! How crazy would it be if I ran into you, Rachel, Oh Jesus. I think I’d hyperventilate.

16 Angela (the diet book junkie) March 16, 2011 at 4:03 pm

ahaha…i totally forgot! and it’s St. Patty’s day TODAY since i’m on the other side of the world. guess i better grab that breakfast beer. :)

17 Rachel March 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm

hahahahaha only on Rachel Wilkeron’s blog do you find a recipe called “Shamrock Out With Your Cock Out Brownies.” I love it!!

18 Tenecia March 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Once I leave work & get home I’m going to rock my green Guinness boy shorts, pour some shots of Jameson, and kiss all over my Irish hubby! :)

T.

19 Keri March 16, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I’m several years out of college by now, and I most definitely have plans! I haven’t always celebrated St. Patricks Day, but now that I’m only a few weeks away from moving in with my Irish boyfriend, I am staying with him for the weekend, hitting up an Irish pub outside Boston, and having all the yummy Irish food and beer we want!

20 Kendra March 16, 2011 at 6:02 pm

My favorite club is throwing a big bash so I’ll be there tomorrow night for sure. I’m also going to do my best to get a kiss from my favorite Irishman if he can be here.

Oh and I have the best green sparkly headband that you know I’ll be wearing proudly.

21 Melissa March 16, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I am lame. I had a Guinness last weekend and I’ll wear green tomorrow. Then a track workout with my running group. Not exactly getting crazy in my adulthood!

22 Alexandra March 16, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Ahh, it’s days like tomorrow that make me miss Rick’s, Landshark, P.T.’s, etc…good old EL.
I’m going to one of the MSU bars on the east side in NYC called Mercury Bar. Did you go when you lived here?

23 [SMASH] March 16, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I’ve never been a big St. Patty’s Day fan. I went to the Dallas parade the last 2 years but not this year. Eh, it’s nothing special. But I *DO* want to hear about these spiked cupcakes you tweeted about earlier!

24 jenna March 16, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I’m on spring break in Gulf Shores. Taking it pretty easy so far, but basically just saving up for all the green beverages tomorrow. :) It’s my last St. Patty’s as an undergrad, so I better live it up!

25 Ashley Breton @fromashleywithlove.com March 16, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I went to the huge parade in my area this past Saturday, but I made amaaaaazing grasshopper bars for work tomorrow and I’m totes wearing my best green business casual into the office :) Then, since I’m kind of all bar’ed out by now, my friend is having a movie night with green cocktails and treats :)

26 Theresa Sondjo March 17, 2011 at 5:00 am

My friends and I (far from the anglophone world that knows what St. Paddy’s day is) made arrangements with a local bar: green beer, excellent food, awesome ambiance, and outdoor seating for 30 …

… on Saturday. :-P

Too old to go out tonight and be in the office at 8 tomorrow.

27 Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 17, 2011 at 6:03 am

I definitely haven’t partied on St. Patty’s Day since college…. but I do see people mid-afternoon roaming around NYC drunk in green t-shirts every year.

28 Krista @ Journey to a Healthy Berg March 17, 2011 at 7:34 am

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know that I really like your blog. I just read last years post about St. Patty’s Day and it cracked me up! I’m pharmacy student at Ferris but have a lot of friends who go/went to MSU. Even if you aren’t getting shitfaced all day starting at 7 am I hope you still do something fun ;)

29 marie March 17, 2011 at 7:42 am

I drink beer every day. This is just the day the rest of the world joins me.

30 Rachel March 17, 2011 at 9:53 am

LIKE.

31 Ella March 18, 2011 at 5:33 pm

that photo is from the top of the Guinness factory/museum in Dublin, yeah? I have a very similar one of my own :)