Getting It: Own Your Beauty

by Rachel on March 24, 2011

I’m sure you remember a few weeks ago when I wrote about the Own Your Beauty campaign from BlogHer and USAToday.com. Your comments and support were SO wonderful. And it was all for good: the following week, BlogHer asked me to write a post for the campaign about my experience with Owning It — why I wrote about it last summer, why it unfolded the way it did, and why it means so much to me.

You can read the whole post here: Don’t Say You’re Sorry. Just Own It.

And if you like the post, or you are one of the people who connected so strongly with owning it, I would love if you left your comments on the post over on BlogHer! It’s a whole new community and audience and I would love to help them with owning it and getting it. Please join in the conversation!

1 Dori March 24, 2011 at 8:40 am

Mazel tov! You deserve this recognition. I left a comment on the BlogHer post but I will post it here too.:

“The thing is, people often think when you’re telling them something, you’re telling them because you’re seeking approval and advice. So they start telling you everything that’s wrong with your decision or listing all the ways you should handle the matter. And then you’re crushed because you realize something you felt super confident about isn’t OK with them”

You just put into words every frustration I have with some of my friends. I love them and I know they love me . . . but me telling them what I am doing isn’t asking for them to try and get me to do what THEY would do in the same situation.

I need to get better about asserting myself and making it clear ahead of time that I am OWNING it.

2 Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 24, 2011 at 8:43 am

Congrats! Looks like your attitude paid off!

3 MelissaNibbles March 24, 2011 at 8:49 am

Congratulations. YOU deserve this.

4 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. March 24, 2011 at 9:21 am

Kudos to you, Rachel. I’ve left my comment on the site!

5 Rachel March 24, 2011 at 10:42 am

Thank you!!

6 Hannah March 24, 2011 at 9:41 am

I haven’t left a comment on the site yet (I’m not logged in) but this is such an important topic and I’m so glad you are sharing it. I hate it when people put up vlogs and say “I’m so sorry my voice/hair is so weird today…” and yet they sound/look perfectly fine. Women need to stop apologizing and just be themselves!

7 Kaley March 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm

And even if they did look like a bit of a hot mess, who gives a damn? I mean, boogers hanging out = okay, gross. Hair not washed since, gasp, YESTERDAY??! The horror!

I’m glad you’re getting this recognition, Rachel. You do deserve it and your post is the best I’ve seen on the Blogher site.

8 marie March 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I think often when these people say “oh oh I’m a mess!” they know they look fine and they’re just fishing for compliments. So I say, if you know look hot, that’s also something you should own!

9 Rachel March 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Truth!

10 Jill March 24, 2011 at 10:13 am

Thank you SO much for owning it. And sharing your owning it philosophy with all of us!!

11 Savannah March 24, 2011 at 10:28 am

Rachel I am so happy for you! I am going to post a comment on BlogHers as well but I had to come and leave some love here as well. You are an amazing inspiration and have helped me continue the shift in my life from being afraid to claim what I want to Owning It, and keep it moving. Apologizing for what I want does a disservice not only to me but to the Universe as a whole by me not living up to my full talent and potential. Thank you for putting the message out there a reminding all women that no matter what they want, there is no need to apologize for it.

12 Rachel March 24, 2011 at 10:41 am

Oh my goodness…are you trying to make me cry and betray my reputation as a badass? Just kidding! But thank you for such an awesome comment…and really thank you for owning it and making yourself happy!!!!

13 Heather March 24, 2011 at 10:47 am

this makes me happy in my heaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart.

14 Zora's mom March 24, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I just love the BlogHer post!

15 Rachel March 24, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I can’t even express how proud I am for you Rachel!!!!!! You deserve this like no other, and I am SO extremely proud of you. YOU ROCK.

16 Rachel March 24, 2011 at 7:02 pm

P.S. I just re-read your post over at BlogHer and it made me shiver. Damn girl you truly have a way with words.

17 Rachel March 25, 2011 at 7:55 am

Awww thanks, Rach! And thanks for the Facebook shout out!!

18 Tenecia March 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm

You have a way with words! I felt like yelling “Preach!” while reading your post :) I left a comment on BlogHer but I wanted to post it here as well. I wrote:

“Often times when I read Rachel’s blog, I feel like she’s speaking right to me. Her posts
on “owning it” are like my instructional guide to loving who I am.

When I shaved my head bald & everyone questioned why I would make such a drastic change, I owned my new look & ignored the negativity. And so what if you think it’s weird that I have muscles and compete in figure competitions…sorry I’m not sorry!!”

T.

19 Rachel March 25, 2011 at 7:54 am

Before I read that comment, I didn’t know I could actually love you a little more.

20 marie March 25, 2011 at 3:19 pm

We used to get onto this girl at my last job because she apologized for eeeeeeverything. Example: If YOU bumped into HER, she’d apologize for being there. I’m not exaggerating. Anyway, finally I told her “next time you feel like apologizing for something, instead say ‘…and you’ll like it!'” Of course she didn’t listen to me, but it did help ME become more aware of my own actions. And now I’m rambling. But you get me.

Anyway, I commented over at BH too, but just want to say I’m so glad you’re getting the recognition for this movement. Way to go!

21 Stephanie March 25, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Last year when I really got into reading all of these “healthy living blogs” I constantly internalized what I was reading. I knew that I REALLY wanted to be a part of this blogging community but kept feeling guilty about my divorce and raising my three young kids. I kept thinking that I’d be judged and mocked for being in a place that so many women try to avoid even though I was taking every step I could to make my life the greatest it can be …. FOR ME. For my kids, for my family and loved ones, etc. I distinctly remember reading one of your “owning it” posts while I was at work and thinking “eff this. I’m awesome and it doesn’t matter that I’m where I’m at. I want to write and I have stories to tell and people to inspire GDI.” I own where I’ve guided my life and am damn proud of what I’ve overcome. I love this blog and am glad you’re getting some credit for the balls you’ve helped give back to women like myself.