Booked

by Rachel on March 29, 2011

Destination: Charletson, SC with a day trip to Savannah, GA!

Thank you all for the suggestions, by the way! I read every one and then we narrowed it down from there. If you’re curious, our narrowed-down list was: Denver (second place), Phoenix, San Francisco, Asheville, and Gatlinburg. (New Orleans had a ton of recommendations but didn’t make the cut because Eric went pretty recently and it’s so close to Houston, we’ll probably just save it for another time.)

PS We made our decision using my new favorite travel-with-social-media sites Gogobot and Wanderlust. Come join! It’s more fun with more people!

1 Christa March 29, 2011 at 7:57 am

Yay!!! Can’t wait for you to see what amazing-ness these two wonderful cities have to offer. When is your trip? I would love to join you guys at some point :)

2 Rachel March 29, 2011 at 8:23 am

May 11-15th! Will you be around?

3 Christa March 29, 2011 at 8:42 am

Yes Ma’am. I haven’t spent extended time in Charleston in forever. My younger sister goes up pretty often to visit her dad and we both suggest a downtown ghost tour, the Market, and Fort Sumter. Totally can’t go wrong!

4 Brittney March 29, 2011 at 8:07 am

Ooooh, you will love both cities! I went to this awesome restaurant called FIG in Charleston when I was there in January for my marathon. Highly recommend it! Savannah is also loads of fun, with River Street, the market, shopping on Broughton… You guys will have a great time!

5 Kat March 29, 2011 at 8:14 am

You’ll have a blast, I’m sure! Haven’t been to Charleston since I was 13, but was obsessed with the houses on Rainbow Row. Sooo pretty.

Kat

6 Natalie March 29, 2011 at 8:18 am

I’m so glad you chose the South! I’ve been to both cities – you will love it!!

7 marie March 29, 2011 at 8:19 am

both amazing cities! There is the best cupcake shop in Savannah! I will have to find the name for you! tons of cute shops on Broughton Street, and MoonRiver Brewery has amazing beers and fries :)

8 Rachel March 29, 2011 at 8:23 am

Woot! Keep the suggestions for activities coming!!

9 Parita @ myinnershakti March 29, 2011 at 8:31 am

Oh fun! I love Charleston and Savannah! Those were some of the first destinations my bf I visited together. :)

10 Parita @ myinnershakti March 29, 2011 at 8:33 am

Oh and you should definitely try to eat at Paula Dean’s restaurant in Savannah. If you’re looking for homecooked type Southern food, you’ll find it there.

11 Sarah March 29, 2011 at 8:33 am

Ohh, how fun! I just got back from a weekend trip to Charleston. We didn’t get a chance to eat there, but make a reservation at HUSK now! We had tons of glowing recommendations for the place. Next time I will eat there. And Poe’s Tavern on Sullivan Island was fun too. And the Pavilion Bar at the Market Pavilion hotel is one of the top ranked rooftop bars. You guys will have so much fun!

12 Lori March 29, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I totally agree! My brother tried to get reservations a day in advance at HUSK. No go, but it’s supposed to be amaaaaazing.

13 Ashley Breton March 29, 2011 at 8:56 am

Congrats on your decision!! You’re going to have suuuch good food. Be sure to take pictures & rest your wrist!

14 Michael March 29, 2011 at 9:46 am

Make sure you hit up Magnolia’s when you’re in Charleston for amazing shrimp and grits and the best fried green tomatos you’ll ever have. I also suggest trying out Baked. Charleston is a great city.

15 S March 29, 2011 at 11:20 am

I just visited Charleston for the first time ever two weekends ago and loved it. Have fun!

16 Shane March 29, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Hi Rachel,

Great choice! You NEED to read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before you go to Savannah (if you haven’t already). It’s also a movie, but the movie version is bad. I second the recommendation for Magnolia in Charleston. I also ate a restaurant called S.N.O.B. that I remember was good, but had very small portions. In Savannah we ate at the Pink House (mentioned in the Midnight book), and a dinner that was also in the book, and visited the mansion from the book, and shopped in the SCAD gift store.

17 Rachel March 29, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Read it in high school and LOVED! It was totally the motivation to take my first day trip to Savannah when I was in college and I can’t wait to go back again!! I should definitely re-read.

18 [SMASH] March 29, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Sounds perfect and extremely relaxing. Yes, sundresses and sweet tea vodka!

19 Nikki March 29, 2011 at 3:51 pm

You will LOVE it! Must eat at the Crab Shack in Savannah :)

20 Jen March 29, 2011 at 6:34 pm

You’ll love Savannah!

21 Margot March 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Charleston is so great! I was there two weekends ago. The shopping is awesome, and you’ve got to walk around and see all the old houses.

22 Tiffany @ Simply Shaka March 29, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Both are excellent choices-very romantic and I believe Savannah has an open container law?!

23 Margaret March 29, 2011 at 8:30 pm

My two favorite US cities (so far)! We ate at 82 Queen both times we visited Charleston and loved it! Best She-Crab soup in town. In Savannah we ate at the Chart House which was a really cool place. I am SOOOOO jealous of your upcoming travels!!

24 Jacki March 29, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before going!

25 Amy @ amyBITES March 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Fun! I live in Savannah! If you need any suggestions for non-touristy activities or dining suggestions, I’d be happy to help. There’s definitely some fantastic fun and food to be had that doesn’t involve Paula Deen. :)

26 Lori March 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm

P.S. Here is the family blog entry for our trip to Charleston. Hope it gives you some ideas.

27 Lori March 29, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Note: Kaminsky’s is a must (a dessert bar… helloooooo). 32 Below is a great yogurt shop on King Street. Also incredible. We went 2x in 4 days. Sorry I’m not sorry.

Since I’m pregnant, I didn’t partake of any seafood. But my brother, who is not a seafood lover, has become a convert since moving to Charleston. Partake!

28 Allie March 31, 2011 at 11:38 am

Happy you choose to visit there! I loved Savannah when I went last year, and I so want to make a trip to Charleston soon.

29 Cate March 31, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Sounds like a great trip! I am from SC and we used to visit both cities. In fact my sister is finishing up her last year at the College of Charleston.
Charleston is a great city and so pretty just to walk around. There is an awesome shop called Cupcake that makes super tasty cupcakes (not that you couldn’t have guessed that from it’s name). You could also check out the Market which is pretty much a bunch of vendors, but you can find some unique things there. Five Loaves is small little restaurant that uses local ingredients and is good lunch spot. Lots of sandwiches, soups, salads. It is a really walkable city with lots of pretty houses, trees, water, & history. Hope you have a fun trip! :)