Living in Sin: The Bisexual Duvet

by Rachel on March 31, 2011

After I wrote about the comforter debate, I asked Eric what sort of duvet cover he’d like. (By the way, I owe you guys for that. I had no idea you could put a duvet over regular comforters, not just down ones. So…thanks for saving my relationship!)

He was still a little huffy when he told me.

Now…I love plaid, and even though purple plaid wasn’t what I had in mind, I was open-minded. But an hour of web searching turned up no purple plaid duvet covers. They just didn’t exist.

The problem with plaid bedding is that it seems like a great idea, but a lot of it is just hideous in reality.

I decided to move onto what I thought might be a good compromise: buffalo check. I ended up finding it on clearance in an unexpected place. Thanks, Pottery Barn Kids!

I love navy, love buffalo check, and I thought it would look great with Eric’s light wood furniture. I told him about it, as well as a flannel lilac buffalo check cover I found from LL Bean. He said he’d prefer the navy, so I went ahead and bought it. (Without monogrammed pillow shams. I think we’re too old for that.)

Apparently, he had not expected me to do that, because when I told him I went ahead and bought it, he told me I was “dead meat.”

(“Dead meat”? Maybe we aren’t too old for monogrammed pillow shams.)

Oh well though.

Now I’m trying to plan the little touches for the bedroom that will look great with the comforter! Like I said, Eric’s furniture is blonde wood. What theme/accent colors/accessories should we add? I feel like clean with white or light blue accents is the way to go. The living room will have sort of a woodland cabin thing going on, so I don’t want it to look too similar… And now that summer is approaching, a subtle nautical theme seems like a good idea… But I’d sort of like to do a 1950s-looking photo project for the walls (think black-and-white pics of our parents and grandparents as kids and ink drawings of vintage items like fans or model airplanes)…

I clearly need help. Sooo…Suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas?

I mean, after you all set me straight about duvet covers, you’re pretty much my heroes!

1 Dori March 31, 2011 at 9:07 am

Very nice! That is a perfect option and you can always change it out if you decide to.

2 Kat March 31, 2011 at 9:09 am

Oooh, some clasic red and yellow throw pillows would play up the nautical theme.

I’m so lucky that my boyfriend could care less how I decorate!

3 Kaytee March 31, 2011 at 9:10 am

I love the buffalo check! I think if you used light blue or gray details, it would be nice. Maybe a little bit of yellow here and there. You could also accent with purple instead because purple and navy look really good together. The only color I would probably avoid is red.

I really like to buy art/accessories on vacation. Maybe you could find something awesome to complete the room in Charleston or Savannah.

4 Rachel March 31, 2011 at 10:08 am

Mmmm I like the idea of purple and/or gray accents. I adore gray, purple is Eric’s favorite color…I’m thinking maybe that dove gray shade that has been really popular in the past few years? Maybe a more stormy day at sea than a sunny day is the way to go.

5 Meredith @ An Epic Change March 31, 2011 at 9:12 am

I’m a big fan of deep yellow accents with navy blue. Unless you want a nautical theme, be careful not to go overboard. But I love yellow + dark blue.

^look I made a pun!

6 shelby March 31, 2011 at 9:32 am

I was also going to suggest yellow accents! I love yellow + navy + white.

7 Emily @ aladyinlove March 31, 2011 at 9:15 am

i love the idea of keeping it clean white and navy or light blue–it’s the perfect season to find those colors since everything in every home store seems to be nautical/sailor themed at the moment. I think it’s also a really easy color palette to work with even if you don’t want to go full blown nautical. Find a bunch of vintage picture frames at thrift stores (it even works with the tacky plastic ones) and paint them a nice really dark navy, then paint and rub a white over it letting the black stay in all the creases of the wood and you have super quick, cheap and coordinated frames perfect for all the vintage photos. Likewise, if you do find vintage items but don’t think they all go together look in the spray paint isle and get creative with the finishes–a rubbed oiled bronze finish looks great and makes even new things look vintage and full of character! good luck! i am so excited to see how your new love nest turns out!

8 Triz March 31, 2011 at 6:19 pm

This sounds great to me, especially with the blonde wood furniture. Like a beach cottage. Then wouldn’t a lot of the decorations from your room work in well also?

9 Diane March 31, 2011 at 9:18 am

I don’t know if you read “Snippet & Ink” in your wedding blog section, but they often have awesome theme ideas. Check it out: http://snippetandink.com/.

10 Diane March 31, 2011 at 9:19 am

Augh, too eager with the “enter” button this morning! What I meant to add was that a lot of their themes are very transferable to home decor/life in general. Good luck!

11 Rachel March 31, 2011 at 10:04 am

Decor + wedding blog ALL IN ONE!? Love love love.

12 Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing March 31, 2011 at 9:23 am

Can’t say it seems like much of a compromise, but that’s probably just my taste. It still seems very masculine. I think you should definitely be allowed to bring in some more girly items to make it a bit more neutral. Wonder if Eric would let you paint the furniture white? I’m thinking no. LOL Good luck!

13 Rachel March 31, 2011 at 10:07 am

I could totally see that. I just really love clean lines and the sort of tomboy, All-American look, so this works really well for me!

As for painting the furniture…probably not! haha but I think it will work great as it is now.

14 [SMASH] March 31, 2011 at 9:41 am

Some really cool vintage ads would be good, along with your 1950s-type theme. And it could still be gender neutral.

15 Ashley Breton March 31, 2011 at 10:29 am

I love the clean theme, but I also love nautical items, like lighthouses and anchors, but that might be more suitable for a bathroom or something! ha. love the new spread

16 Tara March 31, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Well since I despise a nautical theme, I love the idea of gray being the complementary color. The perfect shade of gray can be relaxing and comforting, but can also be romantic and sexy. A final splash of color, yellow, would be the perfect addition. And I like the idea of keeping wall art personal and a little monochromatic.

However, if you muuust do nautical I would caution against classic nautical. Stay away from red unless it’s used very sparingly like a line or detail in an original work of art you create. Something very subtle, but it would add to the overall feel you are going for. Otherwise, I would go for a dark navy and white statement. I would ditch the checked shams that come with the duvet or at least push them to the back if you guys prefer lots of pillows. I would put crisp, crisp white shams in front and add a main center decorative pillow in super dark navy, like almost black, and maybe some dark blue or regular navy smaller pillows. If you go with the nautical them, you can find some square throw pillows with an outline, like a white pillow with a thick navy border near the center or something like that. And I would do either super white sheets or navy sheets depending on what other colors you bring into the bedding and room. I usually love mixing fabrics and textures, but I think if you are going with a minimalist nautical theme I would limit the checks with your pillows and sheets. Maybe throw a dark navy blanket over a chair if that’s your style. I know I may be in the minority here, but from someone who does not like traditional red, navy, and white nautical with anchors all over, I could really appreciate a nod to nautical room with bold, vibrant white and navy. But, whatever colors you choose, I think for you (and Eric) it will all come together with the accessories and art because when it’s done right (according to personal style and taste) it can completely transform a room. But, I do like what you’re starting out with and bisexual it is! Although I would have been partial to the purple checks because I would have ran with a purple, gray, yellow scheme like urban loft meets chic bordello and in that case, Eric could just sleep in the guest room!!!

17 Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily March 31, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Haha You read my mind. My boyfriend and I had bought this plaid bed set that looks like the shirt of a lumber jack.

18 Suzanne March 31, 2011 at 7:01 pm

So…I’m dying to see Eric’s old comforter! Can you post a picture?

19 Parita @ myinnershakti March 31, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I like how you think…you made it into a win-win situation for both of you! ;)