Talk Nerdy to Me: Commenting on Facebook Commenting

by Rachel on April 6, 2011

You may have heard that Facebook recently announced a new web-wide commenting system. Simply put, you will now be able to comment across the Internet with your Facebook login.

The downside? When websites use this system, people can pretty much only comment with their Facebook login. (As of right now, you can also comment with a Yahoo or AOL e-mail address, so you could always unearth your old-school Yahoo account to comment. No one is quite sure whether the Yahoo thing is a permanent feature of Facebook comments or if that will eventually change.)

I have no plans to put Facebook comments into my blog right now, but I’m not writing it off entirely. We are also planning to use it on Beckinfield, and because it’s such a new system, we’re not sure how people feel about it. So today I want your comments on commenting.

how it would look speech bubble

If you are logged into Facebook, this is what you’ll see if you go to a site that has Facebook enabled comments:

Facebook comments

(Not gonna lie — first time I saw my name and face appear on a site that I’d never even been to before, I was pretty shocked!)

If you aren’t logged into FB or if you choose to log out, this is what you’ll see:

Facebook comment

After you comment, if you check the “post to Facebook” box, this is what you’ll see in your Facebook feed and on your Facebook profile:

Facebook comments

Now, here’s what’s sort of the big deal about all of this. If one of my friends reads my comment on my Facebook profile, they’ll see the link to the post I commented on and they can Like or comment directly in my Facebook stream — and it will post their actions back to the original blog or web site.

So then the comments section starts to look like this:

Some of those comments were posted right on the blog post…but the Like on the first comment very well could have been done on Facebook.

Now, like I said, I have no plans to put this into my blog right now, but I’ve thought about it. Before I do something that big, I wanted to talk about why I (or any blogger or website) would start using Facebook comments.

• It takes a huge swipe at anonymous comments and trolling. If the blogger or website decides against allowing Yahoo or AOL comments, then this system will go pretty far in eliminating anonymous comments. While I don’t mind anonymous comments, I must say that nearly all of the anonymous comments I get are negative ones, which pisses me off. This is a blog about owning it, so I hate when people don’t own when they disagree with me. I hate it even more when it’s someone who has commented here before (which I can often tell quickly by looking at the IP address — did you know that?) and now is refusing to put the name/identity that I or other readers have come to recognize. When a commenter doesn’t want me to know who they are (or when, quite frankly, another blogger doesn’t want my/their readers to know that they are trolling) I get a little cranky. I’ve thought about disallowing all anonymous comments on my blog altogether because I don’t believe in hiding. I’ve read that Facebook, which required users to use their real name, was a big step toward making people want authenticity and transparency on the Internet.
  • It’s free promotion. I’m not going to BS you guys. The most appealing part of this comes from the marketing point of view. As a blogger, people sharing me with their friends is the highest compliment, and, honestly, the best way people can say thanks if they really like something I’ve written. Getting my blog to reach more people is a big deal for me, and if making it easier for you to post my blog to Facebook would help with that, well…it’s really tempting. And you do have the ability to opt-out, which means if you don’t want to promote a particular comment (because maybe you don’t want the comment you left me about your boyfriend’s hideous comforter to show up in your feed), you don’t have to.
  • It makes it easier to monitor conversations. The thing is, right now anyone could post a link to my blog on Facebook right now and leave a comment. And all her friends could see it and leave comments too. And if we aren’t friends, or if I just don’t see the link, I would have no idea. And I’d like to have an idea. I love reading your comments. I read every single one and I read a lot of them out loud, since I’m laughing out loud and have to explain myself to those around me. And I use your comments — they help me through certain situations and inspire posts. And I’m not the only one who monitors the conversation — you guys read the comments too.  I’d hate for any of us to miss out on really great conversations taking place somewhere other than my blog.
  • It builds community. You guys know by now that I think you all are awesome. And you know that you all are awesome. I see you telling each other that in the comments, where there is generally quite often a love-fest going on, and I love it. I also love it when you find ways to help each other or share tips through the comments. And then I see you commenting on each other’s blogs. And…sometimes it shows up in my Facebook feed when you two become friends. And I will take some credit for that — sorry I’m not sorry! I love it! My point is, the social part of social media is a huge part of why I do what I do. I love the idea that someone could comment about something and someone else, a total stranger, could click on their name and then go to Facebook to send them a private message relating to that comment. I know that commenters who have blogs already have this luxury, but not all of you do, so using your Facebook login would give you a little more identity within this community. (On a semi-related note — you don’t have to have a blog to get a picture to show up with your comment. If you’ve always wondered how to get one, read my tech tutorial on Hollaback about how to get a Gravatar.)

That said, this isn’t a perfect system.

• There is a difference between anonymity and privacy. I don’t like anonymous comments…but I’m OK when people use an online persona. (I know some of you just use an initial to comment, but if you always use the same initial and e-mail address, you still do have an identity here.) I like having a name to put with someone who comments regularly, but I understand why people want their privacy and security. I think the privacy issue is the biggest one with this system, and I respect people’s
  • Not everyone uses Facebook. I know it seems like everyone is on Facebook, but there are plenty of reasons why people don’t use it and I’m fine with that.

Like I said, I’m not changing to Facebook comments any time soon and I’m not necessarily pro Facebook commenting, but it’s going to start happening on more and more blogs and websites and I really wanted to know what you all think about it! So please…comment on Facebook commenting in the comments below!

1 Rachel April 6, 2011 at 9:08 am

Personally, after just returning from a long facebook hiatus (more than a year, needed to focus on schoolwork for grad school) I am trying to keep my facebook page really streamlined and clean. No “friends” I don’t actually know fairly well, just my basic info, and when I post a status message it has to be relevant/funny/worth everyone’s time to read it in a news feed. Because that’s what I expect of everyone else…if they post a lot of really stupid stuff, I block them. And if I had to use my facebook login to comment on blogs, I would simply stop commenting. Period. I don’t want all that to come up on my wall or in my friends’ news feeds! I already tell people to read your blog, so it’s not like you’d gain any new advertising from me anyway!

Gees, sometimes I feel like technology is really getting to be TOO MUCH. Sigh.

2 Rachel April 6, 2011 at 9:20 am

@Rachel Question: what do you think of the “don’t post to Facebook” option. That would keep your page streamlined and clean. Just curious if you’d continue to comment if it wouldn’t appear in your Facebook feed!

3 Rachel April 6, 2011 at 9:33 am

Yeah I re-read that part of your post after I commented…and I think I still would be pretty damn reluctant to have my full name and photo attached to a comment on a blog. No offense to the awesome people who read the same blogs I do, but I don’t really want them to friend me on facebook!

4 Mary @ stylefyles April 6, 2011 at 9:11 am

It occurs to me the facebook comments could also get off track from the topic of your blog post. If every one of those comments tracks back to your blog, it could make for a confusing comments section. Often, I like to read not only the post, but the comments section of blogs (given the comments section is engaging) but with potentially random facebook comments interjected here and there, it might be harder to sift through.

I think it would hinder some people’s involvement on blogs, if every time they commented on something it tracked back to their facebook newsfeed. Like the farmville, etc. apps that cluttered up feeds.

Also it seems like monitoring comments could be CRAZY for blog admins. My FB friends often comment on FB when I post a link, but not on the blog post. It kind of drives me crazy – normally they’re people that know me IRL and have most substantial comments to contribute (rather than “YUM! That food looks TASTY!” (not that I’ve never written something like that……). But I do notice with my blog there is a divide between facebook commenters and blog commenters, and it would be nice to merge those communities. Like you said, it would also spread links faster.

I have to admit, I personally would think twice before using the FB comment system. Despite the fact that I really don’t shoot for privacy on the web. At all. Clearly.

But there is a difference between my facebook and my blogosphere life. For instance, my boss and I are FB friends but I don’t tell him I post photos of my outfits and my food online multiple times a week. I just like that separation.

Conclusion: Torn.

Interested to see it in action.

5 Cassie April 6, 2011 at 9:15 am

I wouldn’t comment if my only option is to use Facebook. In an effort to not have to spend so much time managing my online presence, I’ve just stopped using Facebook really. If I want to share a blog post with people, I do that. I don’t want it done automatically for me, just because I left a comment. I hope if you add this feature, there will still be a way to comment without that.

6 Rachel April 6, 2011 at 9:21 am

Well there is the “don’t post to Facebook” box that you could check so that it wouldn’t be done automatically. Do you think that would help? Just curious!

7 Rachel's Mom April 6, 2011 at 9:20 am

You said you were shocked to see your name and face appear on a site that you’d never even been to before….I imagine Janko De Beer and Fran Cisco might feel the same way. :)

They might be thinking…who is this Rachel Wilkerson chick and why am I appearing on her blog?

And, I agree, just when I think I am starting to figure technology out, they go and change it!

8 Dori April 6, 2011 at 11:11 am

I love when you comment.

9 ashleigh April 6, 2011 at 9:23 am

I don’t like this idea at all. First off, not many of my real friends know about my blog. Eventually I would like to get to the point where I am comfortable sharing it, but I still have a lot of work I would like to do on it before I make it public to EVERYONE in my life!

Second, I know it’s the internet and anyone can read what I write on a blog, but I would hate for all of it to go into my news feed! I am pretty private on facebook and I hardly update my status so the last thing I would want is the multiple comments I post on blogs to be overwhelming all of my friends news feeds, you know? Also, sometimes I post personal things that I don’t need everyone knowing, again I know anyone can read my comments, but I also know that not many people in my personal life even know about blogs to be reading my comments.

Oh, and I can’t FB at work which is when I write a lot of my comments.. and if I could, I wouldn’t like my manager to be able to see all of them ;)

10 Rachel L April 6, 2011 at 9:52 am

I agree completely with this. What if you were reading and commenting on TTC blogs or something? While it is a fine part of your personal and private online life, it might not need to be public. Even with the opt out, I am more wary about what I put out there just seeing my face at the bottom.

11 skinny latte April 6, 2011 at 9:25 am

I agree with Cassie, I wouldn’t want Facebook commenting to be my only option. I wouldn’t want every blog comment I make appearing in the news feed! I tend to use Twitter to make people aware of a great blog post I’ve read. The pros you’ve listed for Facebook commenting are very persuasive, however.

12 Meredith @ An Epic Change April 6, 2011 at 9:25 am

Whoa. I don’t like this. I like to be anonymous sometimes (news articles and stuff where I don’t always care if my blog is involved).

13 Kat April 6, 2011 at 9:28 am

I agree with Cassie – if it was my ONLY option, I wouldn’t like it. And also with Mary – many times friends/family post on my FB link and not the post, so those comments aren’t available to people who aren’t my FB friend and only read the blog. I’d really like to merge the two – because if someone reads the blog after the fact, all those comments are lost.

Anyone else feel like Facebook is taking over the world? And this from a gal who has social media as her JOB.

14 Rachel April 6, 2011 at 9:59 am

Same! It’s part of my job but I definitely feel the “taking over the world” thing.

15 Jenna April 6, 2011 at 9:35 am

I do not want Facebook to have information and access to my entire life! If comments are only through Facebook, I would probably just not comment. Facebook shares information for commercial value and isn’t always up front about what that information is … if I want to share my information, I would want to do that through my own brand management rather than through Facebook.

16 gene @boutdrz April 6, 2011 at 9:40 am

ew. facebook. i mostly use it to keep ‘tabs’ on our kids, and some people who i knew from long ago who haven’t made the leap to blogging or twitter. for me, there is just too much ‘stuff’ on FB that i find irrelevant to my life or my reasons for using social media. that said, if the only way to comment on blogs was through FB, i, too, would stop commenting.
and i’d hate that.
i really enjoy…love…the interactions that happen as a result of lively comments.
keep up the great work, Rachel. i have another post on ‘owning it’ brewing…..
gene

17 Stina April 6, 2011 at 9:49 am

I have a real love-hate relationship with Facebook.

I’ve been a Facebook user since my freshman (I think) year of college – back when you could only use Facebook if you were a student with an email address from one of the approved colleges. I like a lot of the ways it has evolved over time – status updates, allowing the general population, etc. I like the way it allows people to connect and share and catch up with old friends and all that jazz.

I despise the fact that it has somehow become a social obligation of sorts. My boyfriend doesn’t use the FB, and the way people react to that, you would think the boy has lepracy. It drives me crazy. I also hate the implicit obligation to accept friend requests from people you “technically” know (You know, that guy who had a crush on you in the 6th grade but you haven’t seen or talked to since you weren’t your separate ways to different junior highs?) and the twinge of guilt when I reject them. Why should I feel guilty about ignoring the friend request of someone I haven’t seen since ’98 and wasn’t even my friend at that time! (A little while back I owned it, got over the guilt, and when on a serious unfriending bender.)

I also have a problem with the way Facebook seems to be trying to take over the internet and some of their practices. This seems kind of silly to me given that I’m a rabid Google user, but I don’t get the same trust-worthy feeling from Facebook as I do from Google. I feel like Facebook has already made so many attempts to violate privacy and use their users for their own gain. (And sure, it might be silly and nieve of me to think Google doesn’t do this too, but they at least do a good job of making me FEEL like they’re not taking advantage of me.)

I guess my point is I don’t know. I’m definitely curious to see the execution of Facebook comments. I’ll probably see how it plays out for a while before I would actively start using them.

18 Elizabeth April 6, 2011 at 9:49 am

Hm. I think the reason I like the current comment options now is for marketing purposes! I like seeing taglines for commenter’s latest blog posts. I’ve found some good stuff that way! =)

I wouldn’t be opposed to a Facebook option, but I’m not so sure I would use it.

19 [SMASH] April 6, 2011 at 9:57 am

I would definitely use the “do not post to Facebook” if I were to use it. But like some others have said, I would not want my full name and photo out there like that. I, too, use a sort of online persona to help keep things a little more anon, even though I do have a public blog.

20 sj April 6, 2011 at 10:20 am

I don’t like the idea of using Facebook for blog comments because of privacy issues. I don’t often comment on blogs, but when I do I use either my nickname or my initials because I have a unique, easily-Googleable name (although I don’t mind blog authors seeing my email address). I don’t like the idea of my full name showing up on blogs or websites I comment on — not because I ever say inappropriate or nasty things, but I dunno… the idea of people (future employers, perhaps?) Googling my name and see everything I’ve written out on the web just kinda weirds me out. Also, my view of Facebook just keeps declining. I rarely use it to interact with friends anymore, and I just don’t trust the company like I used to.

21 Savannah April 6, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’m torn. On the one hand there is the ‘Do Not Post on Facebook’ option that I use now when I comment friends blogs on Onsugar and the like. I don’t like the idea of more ‘chatter’ ending up on my FB feed (but I’m really not on there that much for it to matter). On the other hand as someone who is getting ready to launch a blog, I can see how the marketing aspect is appealing. Maybe I would just start a FB page for my blog?

22 Sable April 6, 2011 at 10:54 am

Hm. I don’t know how great I’d feel about having my full name on a lot of the blogs I read…not that I don’t trust the writers but I mean (if you can’t tell by my first name) I am pretty sure I’m like the only person in America with my name and….I am not exactly down with stalkers. I don’t know.

23 Jessica April 6, 2011 at 10:55 am

What if I comment on a post about something I’d be embarrassed for certain family members to know I read? How about the fact that my employer could see my facebook activity and know that I commented on this blog post at 11:52am when I was supposedly working? You could argue that this is my fault for accepting my boss’s friend requests, and my fault for taking a (much-needed) break during my workday.

Regardless, I still feel uncomfortable when I think about all of this stuff linked to each other.

Maybe there is the option to NOT show everything to your facebook feed, but the fact that facebook often launches things like this without letting us know makes me doubt that my privacy is a priority.

If sites I visit have this kind of commenting system, I will probably just not leave any comments. Or delete my facebook page.

24 Laura Georgina April 6, 2011 at 11:01 am

I can see all the reasons why this is great from a marketing and social aspect, and I like the idea of having a single platform that you can use to comment everywhere you go… but I just don’t like the idea of giving FB any more of myself than I currently do, or of FB having a record of what I read and comment on.

I already dislike that you have to modify your settings if you want to make your profile visible to only your friends, and like other commenters have noted, sometimes you want to keep your FB profile separate from your blog profile (I do–I’m thinking of starting a FB page for my blog because I keep my personal FB to family and friends–real life or close in any other way–only). So no, I would actively avoid commenting with FB. It’s all just too much!

25 Dori April 6, 2011 at 11:17 am

Ever since TechCrunch implemented this, I stopped commenting there. A few reasons:

1. I REALLY liked commenting with my Twitter identity on TechCrunch. It helped me get followers and make connections. THAT is where I do my networking, Facebook is where I store my friends.

2. I REALLY like commenting with my blog URL on your blog. I get a lot of traffic from you and I wouldn’t want to lose that. I am able to be honest here and say things I can’t on my own blog, and I think your readers sometimes respond to that and head on over to me.

3. I don’t trust Facebook when it comes to privacy and functionality. At all. As I said above, I like to leave comments on your blog that I would never say on my own — about my sex life, for example. I wouldn’t leave such bold comments if it was tied back to the same Facebook page my mom visits every single day — even with the opt out of publishing option. They just haven’t earned my trust. I would be terrified with every click that my comment would somehow accidentally get plastered on everyone’s wall that I know. I am paranoid enough typing people’s names into the Facebook search box; I always check my own wall immediately after to make sure the name didn’t accidentally post as my status!

26 Rachel April 6, 2011 at 11:24 am

Good points about Twitter. I’m actually working on implementing a feature that would allow people to comment on Twitter and have it post back to the blog, because like you said, Twitter is great for networking and community, and I trust them a lot more than I do FB.

27 Paige April 6, 2011 at 11:25 am

I agree on #2 especially. I’m not totally opposed to the idea of the Facebook commenting system, but I wonder if it would detract from the “networking” that basically occurs through blog commenting. I find a lot of new blogs when I’m perusing the comments and I’ve had people pop over my way using the same means. I’d much rather have them discover my blog than friend me on Facebook.

28 D April 6, 2011 at 11:25 am

I would never, ever comment with my full name and facebook photo. Ever! My full name can be used to find out where I work, study, live, etc. I get frustrated by the attitude that just because bloggers enjoy having a public persona and interacting with readers who seem to get off on personal communication/attention from ‘big’ bloggers, that means we all must want our identity made public and must be mean/jealous losers if we want to remain anonymous. It is so easy to find out info about someone online…a well-known blogger commented that she was frustrated by another blogger not wanting to reveal too much about her name and identity that she found a pic of this girl wearing a race bib and used it to find out her name, age and location. Um, incredibly inappropriate but clearly incredibly easy. This is a tangent, but my point is that I think we should be able to choose how and when we give info. Blog reading is a casual hobby, so if I needed to be concerned about some lame blogger/commented googling my name then I wouldn’t bother with blogs. There’s no blog that I care enough about to do that and I think bloggers shouldn’t think they’re so important that they deserve everyone info/ip address/picture/etc. Super interesting topic!

29 Phoebe April 6, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I agree with this a lot. I comment semi-avidly on a variety of websites including The AV Club, The Hairpin (you guys would all LOVE it if you don’t read it already!!!!!) and Slate in addition to some blogs. Some of these I use my real name on but some of them I have a “secret identity” on which depends on the culture of the place (For example The AV Club has a culture of exclusive screen-name usage; Slate has more of a culture of real-name usage bc you can only comment with a linked identity like FB or Google ID). I think that one of the ways the internet differs from real life is that it is sometimes appropriate or useful to be anonymous. It is understandably up to an individual blogger if he or she doesn’t want any anonymous comments, or wants only “real name” comments (aka facebook or Google ID – though there are plenty of people with pseudonymous FBs or Google IDs). But honestly, from the perspective of an avid commenter, I do NOT like it when I want to use my “secret identity” and can’t.

Because identifying details are so google-able, as you illustrated in your example, D, it should be possible to sometime say things that don’t link to your full name and “official” online presence. I would liken it to chatting with friends in a bar, as opposed to talking to your colleagues at work. We all know that people don’t act super-professional all the time, but we suspend disbelief so that we can have a professional life and a casual life. For example I use my real name to comment on the internet on less “casual” sites such as the NYTimes and Slate. Dori mentions a similar issue above too. I think this is a good analogy for “real name” (FB-linked) comments and “anonymous” comments.

30 Charlotte Bieri April 6, 2011 at 11:34 am

I like the transparency of the comments through Facebook. I agree with you that anonymity online is a problem and I think it would help decrease the amount of online bullying. I also like that I can share articles with my friends even more easily than I can currently.

31 Stephanie April 6, 2011 at 11:49 am

I hate and love the idea about the Facebook comments. As a blogger I love social media. As much as Facebook can be obnoxious it is also a great tool. One comment in a feed could lead to 50+ people clicking on a link bringing them back to your blog. Any blogger wants that kind of easy access marketing. As a blog reader I love finding new blogs through comments. The friends I have on my Facebook are all pretty close to me and if they are reading an interesting site then I probably want to check it out as well. On the otherside I keep my blog pretty private to my friends. I wouldn’t want something I commented on bringing them back to my blog, even though I should just own it and tell them all about it. I have no problem leaving email/real name/website so is there really a need to add the Facebook to the picture.

32 Rachael April 6, 2011 at 11:51 am

I agree, there are pros and cons to the situation.
I was just discussing with one of my friends the other day, the difference between FB and the rest of our online presences (twitter, blogging, etc.) and for me, FB is full of people I don’t really like that much. I know this sounds weird (my goodness, why don’t you just un-friend all these people) but the fact of the matter is … I can’t. I know these people, they expect me to be friends with them on FB because I see them everyday (that sounds really ass-backwards.) and so I tend to maintain a shy presence on FB. I don’t say anything that might offend my elderly co-worker (okay, she’s not ELDERLY…) and I don’t give a status update that is too revealing. However, on Twitter, I let it all hangout. I have a different name on there (my blog name, but still.) and I know that only a handful of real-life people follow me. I almost relish in the fact that everyone I know doesn’t understand Twitter in any way shape or form. Fine. More for me.
I also sympathize with a previous commenter: my work has Facebook blocked online. Even on our smart phones (I don’t even know how.) so I likely wouldn’t be able to comment. I don’t come back to comment on a blog later either.
I had some pros in mind too, but I’m too fired up now about how much I hate facebook. Err … whoops.

33 Dori April 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm

…and just like that, I now follow @snarktart.

34 Jessica April 6, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I know that for me, I keep my blogging world and facebook world completely separate. I have family and friends on facebook that I don’t want to share things with. If blogs that I read and comment on started using the facebook feature, I would still read, but definitely not comment on ever.

I try to keep my online profile to an absolute minimum, my job requires it as well has some unfortunate biological family issues make it a necessity. I really am uncomfortable with how facebook tracks us online everywhere now and posts it for the world to see.

35 Kaytee April 6, 2011 at 12:25 pm

One thing that irks me is that it eliminates the ability to link back to your own blog. Even if I had the link on my profile, I keep my Facebook locked up pretty tight so new potentional readers (if I had a blog right now anyway) wouldn’t be able to find it. I understand these are bigger websites, but I still think it would be nice to have the option.

36 poeticruse April 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Facebooks goal is to have you generate content for them. Know how it says “Facebook is free and always will be” on the splash page before you log in? That’s because you are paying Facebook in hard work; they use your time on their site to generate content, that content to lure more people to read the content, all to get your advertising dollars.

It’s like if someone posted a sign over your office door and said “Work is free and always will be!”

If people want to share your stuff on FB, giving them a button to do it is great, because that’s an Opt-In system. But riding a comment link up is an Opt-Out system. Let your users tell you “I want this on my Facebook.” don’t make them say “I don’t want this on my Facebook”. One is a positive association with your blog, the other is a negative association.

Forcing or tricking your users into talking about you on Facebook may generate you more traffic, but it won’t make your blog better. It may create a bigger community, or more comments, but not a better one.

37 Rachel April 6, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I like your point about the opt-in vs. the opt-out. And unfortunately, since this is designed by Facebook, it’s designed as an opt-out. And the only downside with a Share button (which actually doesn’t exist anymore — Facebook broke it, so that all you can do is “Like” now) is that it doesn’t allow you to see/monitor the conversation.

38 poeticruse April 6, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Yeah, Facebook’s definitely setting the rules on this front. Hence my reticence to let them in the door.

39 KyBizzle April 6, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I’m sorta neutral, but I’m not into FB. So! If blogs start having an FB comment only option then there will be no comments from moi.

40 Hayley April 6, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I think making facebook commenting the only option excludes certain people, namely people who don’t use facebook and people who like their privacy, like you said. If someone were to write a comment that was of a personal nature (not a negative comment, just something they wouldn’t want their name to be attached to) then they will probably end up refraining from commenting. This prevents valuable contributions to the discussions that bloggers try to provoke. I see the value in allowing facebook comments, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to make it the standard for commenting.

41 Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses April 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Not a fan.

42 Taylor @ Delish World April 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I agree with a lot of people when they say it’s a little much. Kind of like Facebook is taking over technology as we know it and how we use it (which it is). But from a marketing stand point I think it’s awesome. I am a new blogger and I am totally down for new ways to spread my blog and get it out there to more people. Also, I run my company’s FB page. This will def open up more communication between my company’s “fans” and their comments and well as my interaction with them. Again, if I can spread my company’s FB page and get more fans via this commenting system, then I am for it.

43 Nikki April 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I might be the only 25 year old without facebook, so this BLOWS. I will never have facebook because I believe in internet privacy / I have so much more of a life than everyone with facebook. I can’t tell you how many times people spend evenings perusing / stalking on facebook while I’m out enjoying living in DC! I *hate* how companies think facebook is the only outreach tool!

44 masha April 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I am pretty firmly anti. Facebook is a big repository of relationships of all different kinds. I really don’t want to have to think about how every little comment on a blog will play to all of the random people I know for all sorts of random reasons. This doubly true in arenas where I want privacy, like a health blog that I might follow. I know that there are things that can be done to separate who sees what on facebook, but it is way too complicated for me to be confident that I am on top of it. Bottom line is, I just won’t comment on blogs that use this system. Also, if I do comment, I will be much more guarded—which I think will hurt community building.

45 Christie April 6, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I love the login with facebook idea.

Especially when doing sweepstakes or if I am too lazy to create an account with someone’s website and they don’t do Google accounts. I am not too concerned about my privacy. I don’t slap my address or phone number out there for anyone to get ahold of me, but at the same time… its just easier. I can totally relate to people who dont want to do that though.

Plus- you’d be able to get back in touch with a person if they didn’t leave their email addy anywhere. I know on WP you are required, but on Blogger, not so much and that is irritating when I want to reply to a person’s comment.

I love my internet friends and wish I could interact with them more!

46 Rachel April 7, 2011 at 7:36 am

See, I’m the same way! For me, it’s just easier. I think you and I are the freaks because it sounds like most people hate it…but I really like the convenience of just having one Internet “persona” that I can use on websites and such. I love the convenience…the real downside to me is that Facebook is kinda creepy about it.

47 nikkiana April 6, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I’m another nay-sayer on this one. While I understand the allure of wanting to use a managed commenting system, and certainly can understand why Facebook’s system would be tempting…. I don’t like the idea of having yet another thing I have to waste my time managing on Facebook and being angry that their settings are not fine tuned enough to make me happy. I tend to comment as my online persona rather than my full name and tend to want to have my main online identity known as my blog and not my Facebook page. I think DISQUS is probably a better option, honestly.

48 Rachel April 7, 2011 at 7:33 am

I think Disqus is a pretty great option as well!

49 Christina April 7, 2011 at 2:47 am

I realize social media and all that jazz is probably the way things are headed in the internet-sphere of the future but I am just getting to tired these days that I cannot read blogs, make comments, or enter blog give-aways (a few examples) without having to have my own blog plus facebook plus twitter etc etc. Maybe I’m lame and old-school but I dont have a blog, FB, or twitter but I still use the internet. I love reading my fav blogs and I never post Anon, I just use my name and I think that’s sufficient. But I’m getting tired of blogs were I have to log-in via something to comment or have to post on FB to enter a contest. Can’t a girl just have an interent connection and it stops at that? I would defi stop reading your blog if I couldn’t just use my name and email to comment.

Anyways I don’t even understand exactly how this FB comment thingy works since I don’t use FB and I’m not that tech savvy. So that’s my opinion!

50 Hannah April 7, 2011 at 8:04 am

Wow, this is so fascinating. I’m not sure how I feel about it. My only concern is, we are so open already (i.e. Facebook, blogs), that if my profile was on some random blog, it seems easier for people to stalk you. Does that make any sense?

51 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher April 7, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I dunno…I don’t like EVERYONE on my facebook knowing what I’m up to, so no I don’t think I’m a fan. Facebook is gaining power it seems! I thought it’s be slowing down after this time…

52 Blog is the New Black April 10, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I didn’t even know about this, and even after your explanation, I’m still confused, but I pretty much get it. You have some valid points- the free promos, sense of community… interesting, glad this was brought to my attention! :)

53 Emma April 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Hmmmm… It appears that I am the only person whose main interest in this post is wanting to know when this “mysterious” blogger commented on your post? I need to start reading the comments section more.

That, by the way, was not a comment about the interesting-ness of the post – I just don’t really have a strong opinion about the techy things (though, I still read your posts on them because you present them oh-so-well). But I may have an opinion about the above-mentioned anonymous person!

54 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 23, 2011 at 12:43 am

I don’t know if I love this idea. I think it’s great for social media, as you said, but I don’t know if I want my FB to be publicized. I usually reserve FB for my close friends and family, and wouldn’t want it to extend to internet strangers.

But just wondering, will these systems allow you to comment with a website/blog?? I definitely wouldn’t want to lose that feature.