Living in Sin: Play Ball

by Rachel on April 11, 2011

Saturday was Eric’s company’s softball tournament. I was on the winning team. No, really…our team’s name was Winning! and our T-shirts had a picture of Charlie Sheen on them.

Besides bringing my awesome softball skillz, I decided to bring cookies!

When I saw this recipe for sunflower butter cookies featuring chocolate-covered sunflower seeds, I figured it was the perfect dugout food. I mean, we could snack on plain old sunflower seeds….or we could snack on sunflower seeds and get chocolate, brown sugar, and a stick of butter involved. Um…easy decision there. There isn’t a Trader Joe’s in Houston, so I ordered chocolate-covered sunflower seeds from Amazon and made the cookies on Friday night. Saturday morning I was up bright and early in my stirrup socks so we could head to the game.

The cookies were a hit. Another hit? The single I knocked right into center field during the game. I also had a really good play at second base, so I was proud of that. I hadn’t played since last August and I was happy I could jump back in.

After the game, Eric and I went to finish our entertainment center quest. Our living room wasn’t going to be complete until we found a TV stand of some sort to match the furniture we’d already picked out (the couch and love seat that were comfortable, affordable, and not hideous but were proving difficult to match to anything). After last weekend’s shopping trip, this had the potential to go horribly wrong and we weren’t feeling optimistic about Rooms to Go. (Note to RTG: your cheesy sign isn’t doing you any favors!) But I think since we got all of our bad energy out of our system last weekend, we we went into this shopping trip with much better attitudes…and Rooms to Go had tons of entertainment centers we liked!

After about 45 minutes of circling the store and debating the pros and cons of each, we chose our entertainment center. Once we had a winner, Eric flopped down on a couch near it…and ended up falling in love with the couch! It had a huge ottoman in front, which we both love, and one end of it had a built-in ottoman that made the whole thing perfect for lounging. The color was right and it was really comfortable…but it was more than we had planned to spend.

I was trying to figure out what Rooms to Go’s selling point was. I mean, don’t most furniture stores have cheesy sales every weekend? It’s the stuff late-night local commercials are made of! Then I realized that their thing is to to get you to buy the whole room. If you buy a couch with an entertainment center and other furniture, it’s way cheaper — and they were throwing in a 50-inch screen TV. I did the math and realized that with the discounted prices on the whole room and the free gift with purchase TV, we could get this majorly upgraded, all coordinating, one-stop-shop living room for the same price we were going to pay buying everything (couch, loveseat, entertainment center, side table, lamp, TV) alone. Once we realized that, it seemed silly not to upgrade.

The only downside was that the couch and ottoman is on back order until May 18, and we can’t get our TV until after the last item is delivered, so for the next month, our living room will be a little empty. But we loved the couch so much, it’s worth the wait.

As we took care of the paperwork to buy everything, it felt a little surreal. While we know there is nothing wrong with being 26 years old and wanting more than a futon in your living room, it was just a very adult moment. Of all the big Living in Sin milestones (the joint bank account, the “OMG, we’re co-owning animals?! Is that a bigger declaration of commitment than Save the Dates?!” moment I had last month) this one definitely made me feel most like a grown-up.

Lately I’ve found myself doing more and more things that I had always thought were the things of adults and not me. Before now, I could read decor blogs and furniture catalogs and daydream about picking out “real” furniture some day and it was fun and harmless because it seemed like something no one would ever actually let me do. With things like this, I think you automatically hear resistance (“I don’t need something like that,” “I can’t afford that,” “Maybe I’ll have that when I’m older and married or something”) but I’m realizing more each day that “Maybe when I’m older” isn’t really a reason anymore.

When I went to the grocery store on Sunday night, I didn’t want to buy much. I only have a couple days left in my place (the official moving day is Saturday but I’ll be at Eric’s on Tuesday and Thursday and Austin on Wednesday for work) and most of my food is packed now. I needed a dinner that was fast, cheap, and required minimal cooking. Keeping with the softball theme, I decided to go with a ballpark favorite: hot dogs.

I think the first phase of Living in Sin, the part in which we make two styles and lifestyles work in one apartment, is coming to an end, and I know this week will go fast. We have errands to do pretty much every day/evening. From getting our cable set up to getting our table set up, it’s going to be a lot of running around and to-do lists. But the thing is, even though I hate packing and hate moving, I’ve never been more excited about it. Normally, the week before moving is filled with anxiety and stress. And even when I moved to Texas last summer, I couldn’t be 100 percent excited because I was sad about leaving my home and my family. But with this move, I don’t feel like I’m leaving anyone or anything behind.

rachel and eric softball

1 Dori April 11, 2011 at 10:02 am

You look gorgeous in that last picture!

2 erin April 11, 2011 at 10:09 am

<3 it. that picture of you and eric, fabulous!

just wait til you actually live together – it's a whole 'nother experience. But it's great having that person around.

3 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. April 11, 2011 at 10:17 am

Sounds like a fun time at the ballpark! :] Wow, big purchase but definitely a good one.

4 Parita @ myinnershakti April 11, 2011 at 10:21 am

You two are so cute! It’s been fun reading about your experience with the whole moving in together process…can’t wait to read the “we live together” posts! LOL!

5 Kat April 11, 2011 at 10:28 am

Oooh, those cookies sound fab! I love chocolate-covered sunflower seeds.

I’m in the midst of our first real joint illness with the guy. We’re both cranky and miserable. Ugh.

Wouldn’t know what to do without the continuious Art Van commercials when going furniture shopping! ;)

Kat

6 Rachel April 11, 2011 at 11:01 am

There is no Art Van here! Hence all the problems!!

7 Ashley Breton April 11, 2011 at 11:09 am

Awww you guys look adorable :))) Glad everything is coming together!!

8 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 11, 2011 at 11:10 am

What a great post! The cookies look awesome & it sounds like you’re in such a great place mentally for the move. Exciting!

9 Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 11, 2011 at 11:17 am

It definitely is weird doing more and more “adult” things. I guess getting married was pretty adult but I still don’t feel like one completely!

10 Kaytee April 11, 2011 at 11:33 am

I really cannot wait to see pictures of the new place. It sounds like it is all going to come together so nicely. : ) You should definitely share some of your favorite decor blogs with us, too!

11 Rachel April 11, 2011 at 11:46 am

Will do!

Pictures will be a long time coming…just because we have to wait forever for all of our furniture! But I’ll definitely have more pictures soon!

12 Toya April 11, 2011 at 2:04 pm

In reference to the chocolate covered sunflower seeds, you should check out Nutsonline.com. They have an awesome selection of nuts, dried fruits, snacks, spices and chocolate covered goodies! I was just looking at the chocolate covered sunflower seeds and they come in all different colors. Anyways, the site is great! And those cookies look delish! Have fun moving in this week!

13 Elizabeth, blogger for SunButter April 12, 2011 at 11:48 am

Hi Rachel,
I savor all your posts, but since I blog for SunButter I just must comment on the gorgeous cookies. Our youngest is trying softball, so I’m thinking I’ll make these for the first practice to start the season out just right. Thanks for the inspiration ~ I so enjoy your blog. Take care.

14 Rachel April 12, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Awww…glad I could pass along a new recipe! Hope they turn out great!!

15 Ann April 13, 2011 at 10:03 pm

You two are adorable! I’m definitely taking notes since as of next week, it’ll be the longest time period my boyfriend and I have spent together, in the same place consistently, in 2 years. Two years of pretty much only seeing each other on weekends is now becoming, “living in his parent’s basement for 4 months” (or until he gets a job somewhere else, whichever comes first). Not quite the living together either one of us had planned, but you have to roll with life! I love how upfront you are about it all, and agree with a lot of what you say. Love it!

16 Rachel April 14, 2011 at 11:35 am

Wow, that will definitely be a new way to live in sin, living in sin with the parents! But you must be SO excited to see each other every day now.

17 kate April 14, 2011 at 8:43 am

Can’t wait to read about this new adventure! Congrats on one year of knowing each other. I’m curious, what was your decision making process on one joint checking account? Will you still have separate accounts as well?

18 Rachel April 14, 2011 at 11:35 am

Yep, we still have separate accounts! And now we have the joint one that we’ll both contribute an equal amount to each month and use that for groceries and some bills.