The 1/3 Less Challenge: 1/3 Less Excuses

by Rachel on April 12, 2011

This morning I’m excited to kick off a new challenge for you guys!

A couple months ago, KRAFT Singles approached me about doing a contest on my blog. (Yes, KRAFT Singles…as in CHEESE! They read my blog!?! I’m moving on up!!!) Basically, I’d come up with the challenge and they’d supply the prizes.

where do I sign

So my challenge was to design a challenge for you all using the idea of “1/3 less” since that’s what KRAFT Singles Made with 2% Milk have — 1/3 less fat (that is, 2.5 grams of fat per slice compared to 4.5 grams in the leading process cheese slice. They are also delicious and melty in grilled cheese sandwiches, but I don’t even want to know what you guys would do with a “delicious and melty” challenge.)

Here is how it’s going to work: over the next six weeks, there will be three 1/3 Less Challenges. Each one will have a prize. To be eligible to win, you’ll have to set a goal and then check in with me on my blog two weeks later to let me know how it went. If you enter each challenge, you’ll be eligible to win the grand prize — a $100 Visa gift card! If you only enter one or two of the challenges, you’ll only be eligible for that week’s prize.

The point of the challenge is to get you to set little goals that help you to make small changes. I mean, 1/3 isn’t much, but I believe that just a bit (just for a second) gets you fit. Each challenge will last for two weeks, and I hope in those two weeks you’ll make those little changes that motivate you in all areas of your life.

I hereby do solemnly swear that Kraft Foods is providing the prizes for this program at no cost to me.  This program is not administered or sponsored by Kraft Foods or its affiliates, but solely by Rachel Wilkerson.

OK, now that I’ve referred to myself in the third person and the lawyers are happy, let’s get to the first challenge!

1/3 less excuses fitness challenge

The goal of this challenge is to get you skip your workouts just 1/3 less of the time. So think about how often you made excuses for why you couldn’t work out over the past few weeks. And even if you got in all your workouts, did you make an excuse for why you couldn’t push yourself? (Doing a DVD instead of a ridiculously hard spin class because you wanted to go to happy hour, saying “But I’m le tired” every time your alarm went off…) You need to figure out what your typical excuses are so you can not make them quite so often during the next two weeks — approximately 1/3 less.

(Now, obviously, everyone knows I’m not a math girl and I don’t know how many excuses you normally make in two weeks, but I’m guessing that most of us should aim to make one or two less excuses.)

The winner of this challenge will receive a $15 iTunes gift card and will be off to a great start for winning the $100 Visa gift card!

To win you must:

• Leave a comment on this post telling me about your workout excuse history. What kind of excuses do you usually make? (Example: “I sometimes skip workouts because I just washed my hair and I don’t want to sweat it out.”)
  • In said comment, let me know how you’re going to do that 1/3 less in the next two weeks. (“I skipped five workouts last month because of this…so in the next two weeks, I vow to only do it one time. That’s it. Otherwise, I’m going to the gym.”)
  • Come back to my blog in two weeks and leave a comment on the final challenge entry post (to be posted Tuesday 4/26) and let me know how the whole thing went for you. (“I had great hair 66.666 percent of the time, but I did skip 1/3 less workouts over the two weeks. So even though my hair looked lame those days, my backside looks fantastic!”)

I’ll pick an iTunes gift card winner at random from the people who left comments on both posts! And every time you find yourself quieting a workout excuse because of this, you can Tweet @RachelGettingIt and @Kraftsingles with the hash tag #BetterForYou to get yourself a bonus entry. (And Tweet all you want, but you can’t get more than five bonus entries!)

Fine print: You have to be 18 years or older and a US resident to be eligible to win.

So pretty much all you have to do is suck it up a couple times this month and you could be handsomely rewarded.

Get to it!

1 Dori April 12, 2011 at 8:13 am

Fun contest! I love cheese.

My excuse is usually not wanting to deal with the fro that appears when I sweat/having to tame it after a shower.

I’m going to do this less by remembering that I can still look attractive in a ponytail and a giant Jewfro is no excuse to skip my workout.

Sorry to use the same excuse as your example… but that’s my main deterrent!

2 Jaclyn April 12, 2011 at 8:19 am

I used to skip workouts on days I got my hair colored (which is about every 8 weeks), but last week when I got it done I powered through a spin class and an interval training class and my hair looked even better the next day than it normally does when I get it done! Sweat makes fluffy hair sleek!

I’m normally really good about sticking to my exercise schedule, but I do skip a Saturday here and there because I don’t love any of the instructors on Saturdays and sometimes the alarm goes off and I think “Fuck this noise. I already worked out five days this week. I can take a day off.” But I always plan to take Sundays off and I don’t usually compensate for skipped Saturdays by working out on Sundays. So for this challenge, I vow to NOT make excuses to skip Saturday spinning and Power Yoga, even though weekend sleep is so delicious.

3 Stina April 12, 2011 at 8:19 am

I am the queen of the workout excuse. I can find an excuse to skip almost any workout – especially a strength training workout. So for the next two weeks I will do at least 2 of my 3 scheduled 10 minute work-outs. (Seriously, that’s how bad about it I am. I schedule 10 minutes, three times a week and usually skip them all! There’s a reason I have the upper bodyu strength of a toddler, and this is it.)

4 Toya April 12, 2011 at 8:25 am

Luckily, I don’t get away with making too many excuses since I got to the gym with my boyfriend, who is a great motivator. But I guess the excuse I make most often to get out of working out is that I can just do it tomorrow, which in the end leaves me all backed up on strength training workouts at the end of the week.

So, for the next two weeks, I’m going to stick to my scheduled workouts and not put them off to the next day. Even if I have to go alone, or if I’m experiencing cramps, or I’m exhausted. NO EXCUSES.

I’m also going to add to this and say I’m going to walk a mile in the morning and rollerblade 1-2 miles in the evening, EVERY day. NO EXCUSES. (it’s rainy season, so that’s excuse enough!)

Thanks for this contest! setting mini goals for myself really helps me focus and get sh*t done, plus possibly winning is an incentive! :)

5 Toya April 12, 2011 at 8:29 am

For strength training, I’m going to try to make the excuses 1/3 less of the time. I go to the gym 4 days during the week, so I will not make an excuse for 3 out of those 4 days, but hopefully not make in excuse for the 4th day.

6 Jess April 12, 2011 at 8:28 am

I usually skip my workouts because of some other “pressing” household issue… Ie. laundry, dinner, dishes or an unruly three year old boy who wants his Mommy instead of his Daddy to put the leg back on his wrestling action figure! I truly need to try and make more time to be 100% sure I get in at least 3-4 workouts per week which should not be that difficult. I will definitely be taking this challenge seriously!

7 Jess April 12, 2011 at 8:29 am

I’ll do this by making time during my lunchbreak and/or the minute I walk through the door after work! NO EXCUSES!! The small distractions will just have to wait!

8 Catherine April 12, 2011 at 8:32 am

I can drum up a good excuse of why I need to cut my daily miles short. So no I don’t necessarily skip workouts I just cop out and pack it in early. For example I will run 7 miles instead of the scheduled 10. I tell myself that I can make it up and tack it on tomorrow. I would rather go home and play with my adorable puppy and watch trashy reality TV. This happens once or twice a week. In a perfect world I will run every single on of the scheduled miles on my training plan but going on the 1/3 less plan I will let myself cut short one run a week and make myself gut it out the rest of the time. So in the next two weeks I will run every single day but only let myself be a slacker on two of those days!

9 Sable April 12, 2011 at 9:11 am

Oh this is a fun contest!

I don’t usually *skip* workouts because my training is pretty much my second job…BUT I am super duper bad about not fully pushing myself when doing cardio. Since I lift 5x/week I only have 3 cardio days per week and during those 3 (45 minute) sessions, I usually only work really really hard for about 20 minutes. So if my math is right here (and it’s not, I’m sure), I need to work really hard for an extra 16 minutes (66%) per workout, meaning my hard-work time needs to be 36 minutes/cardio sesh.

Wooooohoo! Thanks for the kick in the butt :) Here we go!

10 Bree April 12, 2011 at 9:15 am

I am terrible about going in the morning. In my head, that’s my scheduled workout time, but then I don’t sleep well and skip it. I need to remind myself I sleep better WHEN I go and stop with the excuses.

11 Hannah April 12, 2011 at 9:15 am

How neat! I always get my runs in, but I’m usually lacking in the other fit departments. My excuses are usually that I’m not dressed for it whenever I’m by the wellness center. I vow to get 3 half hour workout sessions in for each week, or at least sweat on the days that I usually don’t sweat on. It’s time to get back to strength training!

12 Eirinn April 12, 2011 at 9:23 am

I am the best at skipping workouts. I have a crazy schedule this semester between work and school and typically leave my house around 6:30 or 7 AM and don’t return until 7:30 PM. So that is my excuse that I ALWAYS use.

This challenge is perfect for me right now though. Since the weather is getting nice(ish) here in Boston I want to start running again. I strayed in the fridged months, not sorry. Anyway I ran yesterday and decided that my new goal was going to be to run 2 miles 3 times a week in addition to 2 days of weight lifting. I am cutting back 1/3 on weight lifting or DVDs that I used in the winter to run 1/3 more than I did in the winter.

I’ll do this by getting my running done either on the weekends or during my breaks at school. Also since the semester is coming to an end I might have some more free time in my future and can use it to work on my new exercise routine.

13 Jean Maroney April 12, 2011 at 9:33 am

I am in the middle of 5K training and that has me running 4 times a week. I am good at convincing myself for Mondays run that since it is only a 20 minute run, I could do it Tuesday before Body Attack. And Friday’s run can be moved to Saturday since I am so tired after work. The I have to move Saturday’s run to Sunday. With all the shifting, I usually have to skip 1 run a week.

For the next 2 weeks — I am sticking to my schedule. (My first 5K of the season is in 2 weeks)

14 Corey April 12, 2011 at 9:40 am

This challenge is perfect for me because I made April “Month of actually doing strength workouts”. Since I started running at the beginning of last semester, I’ve been MAJORLY slacking on strength. I love running, and never skip a run, but I can’t say the same for strength. In fact, I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I’ve done strength work in the last 6 months (I know, awful, right?). So, I vow to do two days of strength a week, and no excuses about rain (I walk to the gym from my dorm) or tiredness or having too much homework (I can spare a half hour!). I’ve done good this first week, but here’s some more motivation to keep it up!

15 shelby April 12, 2011 at 9:46 am

This comes at a perfect time for me, because it’s just getting to the time of the year for me to start employing my favorite excuse of all: the weather. Cue whining: “But it’s too hoooooooooot outside, I don’t waaaaaaaanna run.” So yeah, I can suck it up a couple of times, I suppose. Humidity and bugs be damned.

Thanks for hosting another fun challenge!

16 Paige April 12, 2011 at 9:47 am

I love this! I definitely need the motivation. I skip workouts constantly because I always plan to do them as soon as I get home, and then I’m starving when I get there and opt to make dinner instead. Despite my grand plans to work out after dinner, it never seems to happen. So instead of getting in three workouts a week like I’d prefer, I average one. And that’s optimistic.

I’m going to get in at least two exercise sessions a week…even if it means doing the dreaded early morning thing instead of an evening workout or having a short workout instead of skipping entirely (better than nothing at all!).

17 Frances April 12, 2011 at 9:58 am

My excuses are typically I’m too tired or I’m too hungry to work out first when I get home, usually it’s a combination of both. So I haven’t worked out in awhile, but I’ve been meaning too. So my goal is to work out at least twice a week over the next two weeks.

18 ashleigh April 12, 2011 at 10:12 am

I’m pretty good at getting my cardio in, but awful at getting my strength training in. My excuse is always that I don’t want to be sore for my other workouts that I enjoy more- running, spin, kickboxing. Other great excuses are there are too many boys around or I’ll do a good 2 minutes of arm or leg exercises and call it a day. My goal is to get 2 strength sessions in per week for a least 30 mins.

19 sd April 12, 2011 at 10:13 am

it was great to read this on a day that i hit the snooze button & slept through my (new) 6am yoga class! it’s twice a week for the next 4 weeks, so i vow to NOT do that anymore!
(granted, it was because i read a text that canceled my plans tonight, so i was like “well, i can just go tonight” but that’s NO EXCUSE! i could’ve gone to 6am yoga, felt AWESOME!, & gone to the gym or the park in the evening, or had a free evening! but noooo.. i made an excuse!)

20 Emma April 12, 2011 at 10:14 am

I have been regularly skipping workouts for a number of years now. I tell myself that I’m too tired and need sleep more than exercise. I tell myself that I’m too busy with housework or schoolwork (and then proceed to work on neither). I tell myself I’m already settled in for night and I’ll work out tomorrow (I never work out tomorrow).

My plan to make 1/3 less excuses: think about my poor health. I recently had a health screening done for my insurance company, and let’s just say my numbers aren’t great for a 26-year old. Every time I think that I’m too tired to work out, I’ll tell myself my future depends on me getting my butt out the door. I will tell myself that my body is young, resilient, and capable of change. I will tell myself to make my family proud of their healthy daughter/sister/aunt.

And the vet recently told me that my dog is overweight. We will be making 1/3 less excuses together!

21 Vanessa April 12, 2011 at 10:48 am

love this challenge!

Once I get on a sleep routine I’m usually pretty set and can get up to work out pretty easily. So working out every morning isn’t a problem but I REALLY need to push myself harder. Sometimes I tell myself I will go run but instead I just do the elliptical or I don’t really push myself on the elliptical like I can on a good run. Or I dedicate myself to run 6 miles and wimp out at 4 and walk. I will push myself for the next 2 weeks harder than usual on 4 outta 6 workout days!

22 Beth April 12, 2011 at 10:49 am

Although I hardly skip a workout, sometimes I won’t push myself as hard or stay long enough to get all my cardio in. I use excuses like, “I have too much to do after work today”, “I’m too tired and I need to get to bed early”, or “If I don’t leave by XX time then I won’t make happy hour….” (Hah!).

I am going to do this 1/3 less of the time by sticking to a schedule I create at the beginning of each week. When I cook at night, I will be sure to make enough to save some for lunch and dinner the next day so that I can’t make any excuses about needing to rush home to start dinner. If I can’t get my full hour of cardio in at the gym, I will do extra exercises while watching tv or even go for a walk. This will be a great challenge!

23 Maeve April 12, 2011 at 11:17 am

Ugh I am so bad about making time for strength training, I always sleep through Body Pump and yoga and then do a lame elliptical session later…I am going to stop with the boring cardio and make sure I get to bed early enough that I can make the am classes (sadly the evening ones don’t work with my schedule).

24 Betsy April 12, 2011 at 11:19 am

I’m pretty good at getting in the gym or out to run, but I definitely fall into the trap of not pushing myself that hard. My excuses tend to be by comparison… at least I don’t need to be on the biggest loser, I’m runner faster than that guy, I’ve been in the gym 4 days in a row – I can take it easy today.

So with the 1/3 less challenge in mind, I’m going to push it as hard as I can this week, every time I work out. No excuses. Or 1/3 less excuses.

25 Kaytee April 12, 2011 at 11:39 am

I have gotten really good about not skipping workouts (having too much free time while the boyfriend is gone will have that effect) BUT I have been trying to practice yoga at least twice a week and I haven’t been doing it at all. My excuse usually is that I have too much energy and my brain is too frantic to calm down and actually appreciate yoga, so I need to go run intervals or lift weights instead. And I know that yoga is going to be incredibly beneficial for me if I would just make myself do it.

So that’s my goal. To make 1/3 less excuses about getting my yoga on. Besides, I already bought the Groupon anyway.

26 Manon April 12, 2011 at 12:07 pm

My biggest excuse is exhaustion…getting around sucks the life out of me these days, so if I don’t get a workout in before work, by the time the work day is over my busted up ankle is the size of a bowling ball and the only place I can go is on my back with my ankle up with some ice packs. Not to mention, I barely have the energy to pee….and not just the “oh, if I just go do it, I’ll feel better.” kind of tired….like, my body really DOES give up. To help this, I’m going to get my crippled ass in bed earlier, so I get plenty of sleep, and have no excuse for not getting a quickie workout in before work!

27 Kelly April 12, 2011 at 12:10 pm

My main workout excuse: lack of sleep. In fairness to myself, I have a 19 month old daughter and am pregnant with my second child, so sleep is a precious commodity. But, I also need to work out to offset the GOBS of food I’ve been eating lately. So, I am going to pledge to up my workouts from 2 per week to 3 (or more??) per week, even if that means a few fewer hours of shut-eye per night. Core Fusion, here I come.

28 Kristen April 12, 2011 at 12:19 pm

My excuse is usually “You don’t have time to work out right now…you have WAY too much to do.” which is totally true, I am spread horribly thin, however I need to remind myself that working out = better sleep, more energy, better mood, better sense of self.

I probably use this excuse at least four times a week…truth. Therefore in keeping with your 1/3 rule, I vow to only allow myself to use it five times in the next two weeks (1/3 of 8 = 2.64, round up to 3, meaning I have to use it three fewer times in the next two weeks.) I like math. Ha!

29 Jennifer April 12, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I love to make workout excuses! My most frequent excuse is…”It’s going to be a long day at work, so I better get that extra hour of sleep this morning”. So, I vow to only use this excuse or any excuse once in the next 2 weeks. That means I will workout 5 days a week for the next 2 weeks with no excuses!

Here we go!

30 kate April 12, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Last week I didn’t work out because… my feet hurt, I needed more sleep and I was a crabby bitch that didn’t want to deal with my problems. The week before it was because I had a headache. In the past month I’ve chocked my excuses up to the weather good and bad, eating too much and too little and continually absurd, cop out excuses. As you can see I have no lack of excuses…but I’m participating in a triathlon in 48 days. It’s time to get serious. I’m supposed to train five days a week, but I’ve only been doing about three. I pledge to hold myself accountable and only miss if a truly valid reason.

31 Alexa April 12, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I am the queen of excuses for not working out. Overslept? It’s too late to exercise! Didn’t sleep enough? I’m too tired to work out! I’ve also skipped the gym because I just ate, hadn’t eaten enough, really needed to do the dishes, and because I’ll “really get serious about my workouts tomorrow.” (Tomorrow never comes.) I could improve by a third with only 2 to 3 workouts per week! And really, I have no excuse for not doing that. I even got the ball rolling by working out this morning.

32 Margaret April 12, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I am horrible about skipping workouts. Some times are legitimate because I can’t take a sick baby into YMCA daycare, but others are just laziness. Like, “Oh, I don’t want to wake up the sleeping baby 30 minutes early to get to pilates” or ” Ow, my back hurts.” I know it will hurt less if I just go and work on getting stronger. I haven’t worked out in two weeks AT ALL. So my goal is to get to 3 out of my 4 scheduled classes per week ( two pilates and two yoga). And to take walks on all the nice days, not just most of the nice days!

33 Emily April 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I sometimes skip working out (a few times a month) at the gym or yoga because it’s a long walk to get there (I live in the city without a car). When I try to make that excuse, I will put my sneakers on and go for a run instead or do yoga in my house.

34 Hayley April 12, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I sometimes skip workouts if I have too much work to do because I get really anxious about not having enough time to get things done! Really, I could have better time management skills and then I would be able to make time for the gym without having an anxiety attack. So I am going to make a work and workout schedule and stick to it.

35 Julie B April 12, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Mmm cheese.

I ran my first half marathon about 4 weeks ago and was following a pretty strict plan for the months before. The problem now is that I can’t get myself regularly working out again! My excuses range from being too tired to wanting to go pig out on beer and french fries to telling myself that I “deserve a break”. These excuses seem to multiply over the weekends and I haven’t exercised on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday in the past month.

I’m sticking to upping my exercise on the weekends, so because I skipped the last 4 weekends (that’s 12 days), I want to make sure I exercise at least 4 days out of the next 4 weekends. For the purpose of this specific context…2 days of exercise out of the next 2 weekends. Baby steps!

36 Lea April 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I skip workouts for two reasons (usually): 1) I don’t want to deal with the sweaty-hair issue and 2) I’m using the “I don’t feel great” excuse. So, I will allow myself a once, over the next 14 days, to skip a planned workout because of hair-detailing stubborness. As for the second excuse, if I don’t have real symptoms (other than a headache, which I always have, so whatevs), then no skipping is allowed.

37 Heather April 12, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I skip workouts because I don’t feel like driving to base (which is 20 minutes away from my house…which is in the middle of nowhere, thanks to my lovely husband buying it before we knew each other). I skipped 5 workouts in the last 2 weeks. In the next two weeks, I’ll suck it up and make the drive. I plan to only allow myself to skip one. It’s totally worth it.

38 Sarah April 12, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Since I really started getting serious about working out (about a year ago), I haven’t skipped very many work outs at all. However, certain excuses sound so solid that it’s hard to push them out of my head. 1. I was awake for SO LONG writing this paper, and I have even more stuff to do today. I need sleep, not sweat. 2. My bad knee hurt last time I worked out, I need to rest it.
In the next two weeks, I will be more productive when I AM working so that I don’t have the “le tired” excuse. I will, however, allow one of these days because it’s finals week (but hopefully I won’t use it). I will use the knee excuse zero times – I’ll just be smart about which workouts I do when.

39 Nicole Beck April 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I usually skip the gym because I onlt have time after classes, and I can usually convince myself that since I’ve worked SOOOOO hard sitting in lectures, I deserve a nap. I plan on reminding myself that nothing makes me wake up more than a good run!

40 Sherri April 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I skip strength workouts because I feel like they don’t burn enough calories or make me sweat enough. I should do four sessions per week along with my running/cycling schedule, and I only do one, with my trainer. So, I vow to add a session once per week on my own.

If I got the math wrong, my bad. This is why I am a writer – I know my strengths!

41 Nikki April 12, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I don’t usually “skip” a workout, but I often skip yoga or stretching. I run/spin 6 days a week, and only stretch after my long run and I take yoga on Thursdays.. which makes 2 stretches… so my fitness goal will be to skip yoga less!

42 Brie @ Brie Fit April 12, 2011 at 5:45 pm

My excuse usually comes in when I’m running and I say, “well, it’s totally okay to walk because there’s that hill/my toe hurts/I have to scratch my butt or change the song on my iPod.” I have a half marathon on Saturday and I vow to do at least 1/3 less walking than I did in my last one! (So…let’s estimate I took 6 walk breaks in my last half, in this one I will take no more than 3!)

43 Kellie April 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I’ve been in such a workout rut for the past 3 weeks! It started when I was sick, so I milked that for the first week and now I just keep planning to go to the gym everyday, but half the time I end up making an excuse. “I really need to study. I’ll just do some sit-ups and call it a day.” “It’s storming, so I’ll just do Jillian Michaels.” “I was up all night studying, I’d much rather take a nap.” From here on out, no more skipping workouts. It’s an hour out of my day and I WILL workout instead of watching that hour-long episode of SVU on Netflix. My goal will be to make it to the gym at least 5 days each week for the next two weeks (I would say six but I’ll be out of town the next two weekends).

44 Michelle April 12, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I started skipping in February and worked out even less in March… and now it’s April and the first time I exercised was today! So this goal fits in perfectly. :)

I’m sick of being an unmotivated lump on a log, so I’m going to commit to working out at least three times a week. I’ll stick to this by telling friends and bugging my roommates to go to gym classes with me.

good luck everyone!

45 Carrie April 12, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I’m good at making it to the gym to lift (and do cardio, but that’s just to manage my anxiety – if I didn’t have brain-problems I would just use lifting heavy to keep me in bangin’ shape), but I do sometimes skip Pilates in the morning, mostly because it requires me to roll out of bed at 6 AM, and 7 AM just seems like a much more human hour! So for the next two weeks: no more skipping Pilates because I don’t want to get up.

46 Allyson April 12, 2011 at 6:45 pm

This is very embarrassing, but I usually skip workouts because I eat too much and feel to full and gross to move around. I usual skip one or two workouts per week (or have really half-assed workouts), so I plan to only skip out once in the next two weeks.

I owe it to myself to get a great workout in and will keep reminding myself of how much I am worth to reach my goal!

47 Cynthia (It All Changes) April 12, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I usually plan for 5 workouts a week and make 2 because I’m tired, no time, etc. All lies because I have an exercise bike and DVD’s at home. Instead I’m going to plan for 3 workouts and hope for 4. I feel bad when I miss workouts instead of feeling great when I overachieve.

48 Stephanie April 12, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I’m the queen of skipping a morning workout because “I’m just not a morning person”. These next couple of weeks I will skip the snooze button and make sure everything for the gym is ready to go. My ass needs the workout and 1/3 less excuse will help.

49 Allison April 12, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Love this! Cheese is the sole reason why I can never, ever go vegan.

I have a bad knee, which means it’s pretty crucial for me to do a full 20 minute yoga/stretch session after every run to alleviate pain and tightness. And…I can’t remember the last time I did that. I try to run 3-4 times a week (hopefully more as the weather gets nicer) so my goal is to is to get a full stretch in after at least 2-3 of those runs.

50 Elizabeth April 13, 2011 at 7:16 am

I typically talk myself out of getting up in the morning to work out before work. Case in point, this morning I had planned on getting up and doing a 30 min yoga session, but kept hitting the snooze button.
I’ve skipped multiple morning sweat sessions (at least twice a week), so in the next two weeks I vow to cut down on sleeping in to once a week. Instead I’ll be getting up to run or go to yoga.

51 Stefanie April 13, 2011 at 8:45 am

I usually talk myself out of a workout because I am too tired or because it is too cold outside.
Now with warmer days this should not be a problem. I know that working out actually helps with my energy levels so for the next two weeks I will allow myself to stay at home and miss my workout only once per week, the rest of the time I will be heading to the gym or be active in some other way.

52 Isha April 13, 2011 at 9:51 am

Two weeks ago I got put in a walking cast for a stress fracture in my foot. Not awesome. Since this thing even cuts out yoga from my daily routine, I decided to do a) the 100 push-ups challenge (on my knees, obvi), and b) a 10-minute pilates abs workout, alternating these Monday-Saturday. Uh, I haven’t done the abs at all. It’s 10 minutes, three times a week, and I haven’t done it once! Or maybe I did it literally just once. My excuses are really just laziness – I don’t feel like getting up from the couch, I want to finish my tv show, I want to eat, I’ll do it tomorrow, etc. Pathetic.

So, starting today, I’ll only let myself avoid the abs workout ONE out of my three planned days. Or is that 2/3 less? Math isn’t my strong point. Anyway: I have abs scheduled for Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday, and I’ll do it at least two of those days.

Fun challenge!

53 Kate April 13, 2011 at 11:49 am

My main excuse for not working out is the Weather. April in Boston can be 80 degrees one day and 30 with snow the next so at least twice a week there is the “Oh it’s freezing rain and 30 degrees?” No thanks I will sleep in, or the “Oh it’s 80 and Sunny I guess I have to skip the gym since drinks on a patio sound so much better” My goal is to stop making those excuses since bikini season is on its way and I will be happy that I did in the long run.

54 Morgan April 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

I usually wake up at 4am to get my work day started will all intent on working out. I never do, I always “run out of time” If I am off work that day, I usually wake up with my kids and use the excuse of “kids won’t let me workout” So in respect of the challenge and my own personal health, my goal will be to get in my morning workout (yoga, 30 mins) on my workdays by getting everything I can done the night before (lunches packed, clothes organized etc.) and wake up earlier than those beautiful kiddos on my days off and get my heart pumping for at least 30 minutes those days as well (at least 9 days out of the next 2 weeks!) Goodluck everyone!!

55 AmandaD April 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm

My excuse is that I seriously need more than 5-6 hours of sleep! Who the hell gets up at 4 AM? Sleep is very valuable. My goal will be to go to bed earlier….my plan of attack is just to drink more & pass out earlier to make that 4AM alarm clock :)

56 Ana April 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm

My excuse is that I need my beauty sleep. I will get done working, and think oh I don’t need to go to gym tonight. I can go tomorrow. I need to go to bed or I will be tired in the morning. Then tomorrow comes, and most of time I go, but do not push my self as much. I usually do this three times a month. So I will give myself only one time to do this instead of time in the next two weeks.

57 Kelly April 15, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I am plagued with HORRIBLE (!) migraines, so I tell myself that my head hurts too bad to work out — when I really know that if I worked out more, I would be under less stress and my body would be less tense and that it would probably help my headaches! So, I have started/am going to keep working out in the mornings to start my day off right!

58 Missy Maintains April 16, 2011 at 2:39 am

I make a few different excuses when I skip the gym. 1) I missed my favorite class I decide that it is okay to miss the gym all together. 2) On nights I overeat, I never want to wake up the next morning and put on a tight gym top because I feel gross so I just stay home and probably eat more. 3) On weekends, I don’t feel like taking the hour long subway right into the city. 4) I’d rather be drinking or having sex. I think number 4 gets a free pass though.

From now on, I will still go to the gym if I miss a class. There is always an elliptical! If I overeat, I need to remember how sexy I’ll feel in my tight gym shirt if I exercise. On weekends, I can always run outside in my neighborhood. Let’s do this.

59 Ally April 17, 2011 at 11:13 am

My excuse for not working out is that I can do it tomorrow. I also say that I have to do things around the house like laundry or make dinner or go grocery shopping. Sometimes I just want to read.

The best excuse I have is that I “missed my time” to work out. I have an appointment w/myself every day 6:30 pm to work out & if I miss that then I just skip it. It is RIGHT after work so I say to myself I’ll do it tomorrow. And I usually do.