Getting It: Four-Sixteen

by Rachel on April 13, 2011

On April 16, 2010, I was G-chatting with Leah. The topic? Friends who are really talkative.

“OMG, like my friend Eric!” she said.

She went on to tell me how he would get super wordy when they were chatting.

What, like I get wordy or something?

She sent me a couple pictures of him from Facebook and asked if she could set us up. I said that was fine but didn’t take it too seriously because HELLO, he lived in Texas.

Within the hour, his e-mail came through.

The e-mail was long (unsurprisingly), funny, and filled with detail on his super exciting job and his love for spin. I wrote back a longer (also unsurprising) e-mail immediately describing my love for spin, the south, and reading.

Rather than wait for him to respond, I just G-chatted him. I led with, “Hi! What are you doing?” He was quick to respond.

I wish I could say that just like that, we were madly in love, but it wasn’t that simple.

That first conversation was great and I suggested we video chat sometime because that’s just how I roll. We started texting that weekend but unfortunately, some things were lost in translation. Having never heard his voice, I thought he was totally nerdy/borderline hipster (hello, he had a Tumblr and those glasses!) which isn’t my thing. And HELLO, he lived in Texas. So while I would have gone out with him in a heartbeat if he had lived in Michigan, because he lived in Texas, I didn’t take him that seriously. And he was SO nice to me and excited about me — I mean, what girl goes for that?!

A few weeks later, I stood in my kitchen and told my mom about the ridiculous situation.

My mom is not a romantic and was less than moved by this.

So I blew him off for a few weeks. Leah and I would tell him we were going to be around to video chat with him that night or that weekend, and then we’d never get around to it. (We were too busy having the feast!) Like I said, I didn’t take him that seriously. He said he wanted to come to Michigan in the summer to visit Leah…and I didn’t want to be under that kind of pressure.

But at some point, even though Leah said he was really interested, he stopped showing any interest. He stopped e-mailing me. Took a few days to respond to texts. I told her I was pretty sure he was not interested. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was blogging about my bangovers.

One Friday night, after a few days spent at Leah’s when I blew off our planned video chat yet again (I didn’t feel like washing my hair), I felt bad and decided to call him. I thought he’d be really excited to finally talk on the phone but…he didn’t answer. I left him a voicemail but he didn’t call me back. And then finally, that Sunday night, he texted me back but didn’t sound sorry at all that he had missed my call. I told Leah that I was really sure now that he wasn’t as interested as he had seemed (and she had said he was!).

I’d later learn that Leah had been telling him that if he wanted to make this work, he’d stop being so damn nice to me. And then last summer he told me that when I called him that Friday night? He was sitting in the airport, chatting with a pretty girl. He looked at his phone and was surprised and confused that I was calling him…but then decided to just hit “Ignore.” I’m going to go out on a limb and say it was the best decision he ever made.

Leah convinced me to video chat with him Memorial Day weekend. And I can say that just like that, we were madly in love. I was on a plane for my first datecation a couple weeks later.

But it all started on April 16, 2010. And — surprise, surprise! — the lease for when we officially live in sin as roommates starts on April 16, 2011.

Kinda funny how that worked out, right?

A lot can happen in a year.

All right, I’m off to Austin for work and then the next few days are going to be devoted to moving so I’ll be pretty much out until things are unpacked. Have a great weekend, and if you get the chance, I’d highly recommend taking a risk on April 16th — it seems to be a pretty lucky day.

See you next week!

1 Jessica @ How Sweet April 13, 2011 at 8:58 am

Rachel! This is so similar to how I ended up with my husband, besides the whole he-lives-in-another-state-thing. He was WAY too sensitive and nice to me, way too into fashion (I thought he was gay) and obviously I pushed him away because I thought he was completely boring. He chased me for about 6 months but then sort of stopped and it ended up driving me crazy. Within days we were madly in love too… and the rest is history.

P.S. at least you have enough sense to live in sin so you don’t end up with a bachelor pad full of WWF and NASCAR memorabilia.

2 Summer April 13, 2011 at 9:03 am

Love. It.

3 Summer April 13, 2011 at 9:03 am

All this=pretty much why I adore you! Congratulations on a year well spent.

4 Ashley April 13, 2011 at 9:03 am

Aww super fun! Ive been reading your blog since way before eric so its funny to remember you writing about all those things! I just wrote aabout my bf and Is 2 yr anniversary..not quite as fun of a story but we did meet over a game of flippy cup?

5 Eunice April 13, 2011 at 9:10 am

It’s funny when you think back on how you met and can ask that person all the things that you couldn’t ask when it was actually happening. Congrats on reaching the year and on the big move! I hope everything goes smoothly and that you have some good stories when you come back. :)

6 Manon April 13, 2011 at 9:11 am

“Did you tell him what a bitch you are in person”…bwahahaha…I love your mom….and that sounds EXACTLY like something my mom would say. Actually, I think her thing is “So, I’m guessing SHE didn’t give you the warning, so should I tell you what she usually does to men? She needs a warning posted on her forehead.” Anyway, love this story!

7 Laura Georgina April 13, 2011 at 9:12 am

Ha! Poor Eric, judged by Tumblr and glasses… I think you’ve made up for it by now (and so has he)!

April must be THE month–I got together with my Mr. on April 14 almost eleven (eleven, holy shit!) years ago. So we can blame it on the spring.

8 Leah (Nutritionista) April 13, 2011 at 9:16 am

Love this, on so many levels.

9 Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight April 13, 2011 at 9:22 am

Your mom’s comment cracked me up. Great story, Rach! I’m still holding out hope for my future husband!

10 Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 13, 2011 at 9:22 am

I am in love with your love story! It is so fantastic…. I kinda wish mine was more exciting:-)

11 Alie April 13, 2011 at 9:26 am

I love hearing how people first meet! My mom actually told me to go out with my boyfriend. We worked together and I had previously dated someone I worked with and swore against ever doing it again because of all the nosy bitches I worked with. Well he would come by my office and flirt and my mom happen to come in for lunch and saw him and said who is that cute guy making googley eyes at you….rest is history :) Always listen to your mom haha.

12 Brittney April 13, 2011 at 9:30 am

Awww, I love this! It’s funny how that push and pull of being interested enough, but not too interested works at the beginning of relationships. Good luck to you guys with the living situation. I have a lived with a couple people, including my husband, and felt like it was really make or break for the relationship!

13 Kat April 13, 2011 at 9:44 am

Congrats! 4/16 is also my parent’s wedding aniversary, so I think it must be good luck – after all, they were hs sweethearts and are still married!

14 Diane April 13, 2011 at 9:46 am

I went through this same thing in the early days of dating The Ex. I was so sure he liked me that I had the attitude of “whatever, I can ignore him for days and he’ll still want to hit it.” But then he started not responding to texts right away (ridiculous for someone who was literally at our house EVERY DAY that summer), and then called to shorten our date because he “had plans” later that evening. After being completely open and honest about everything else, he refused to tell me what “the plans” were.

He showed up to our coffee date in a vest, tie and fedora, telling me that he couldn’t stay late. I, of course, FLIPPED OUT, thinking he was going out with another girl. The whole date was terrible because I was fighting the urge not to grill him. Finally, I blurted out something along the line of “WHO IS SHE?!?!” and he laughed and told me that he was going to see “Transformers II” with some friends and he knew I would side-eye him for that. (Which I did. Because, come on.) Then I found out that the outfit was for me, because he heard how much I like it when guys dress up.

So. Embarrassing. And adorable. I couldn’t believe that one evening of vagueness turned me into That Girl. But I also knew that’s the day my crush got serious.

(Wow, this was really long. But we all know I’m also verbose. Anyway, I’m so happy for you guys and I can’t wait to see what happens next! We’ve come a long way, haven’t we?)

15 Caitlin April 13, 2011 at 10:12 am

I love that I now know this story! And I can vouch for real-life testimony: you guys were made for each other. Good luck with the move! Loved this post.

16 Dori April 13, 2011 at 10:16 am

I love that your move-in date is exactly a year since first contact. That definitely means something and I can’t believe how much your life had changed this past year. Amazing and inspiring. This gives me hope.

17 FoodCents April 13, 2011 at 10:19 am

Holy shitballs, this reminds me of how much time flies. I remember a certain email from you, which hit right before datecation #1, which actually lifted my spirits up (as you will recall my good friend had just passed away), so greatly appreciated.

I do love your mom’s comment about you being a bitch

Happy one year, Hooker.

18 Lindsay April 13, 2011 at 10:47 am

That’s so funny — and cute! My friend just set me up with a guy (he’s an engineer, too), and I was not convinced that any kind of set-up was going to work. Well, of course, since I thought that, it did. Except for me, the fact that he was super nice and always calls was what did it. I was sort of indifferent to him until I realized that I couldn’t find anything wrong with him (like all the other guys I’ve dated) and then because I had no reason to stop seeing him, he started growing on me and I realized that I really liked him. But I’m still trying to get used to him being SO normal.

19 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. April 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

I remember seeing all of this unfold. It was so fun and it’s fun to re-live it now! :) You two are adorable and I’m so excited for your new living in sin adventure.

20 Ashley Breton April 13, 2011 at 11:10 am

Like I always say, everything happens for a reason :)

My boyfriend and I’s 1 yr is tomorrow! I happened to start working for my now job about 1 yr and 1 month ago and it all started with some Patron & karaoke, and it was love from there! He just got approved for a sweet ass apt with his guy best friend & I bought him an awesome spice rack/spinning tie rack PLUS making a cool scrapbook with pics/ticket stubs from the years. Any celebration plans?!

21 Kaytee April 13, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Awww. I remember talking to you right around the time this happened. I can’t believe it was a year ago now! So happy for you two. : )

22 Taryn April 13, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Wow, that is exactly the kind of thing my completely jaded and unromantic mother would say. Here’s to staying hopeful and meeting the one! Super stoked for you, Rachel.

Also, on an unrelated but always related note, your blog is the fucking best. Ever. “You’re a credit to your race. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart.” (-Woody Allen, Scoop)

23 MelissaNibbles April 13, 2011 at 2:01 pm

God, why can’t we just let guys be nice to us? I think they’re the same way though. No one wants to be with someone who comes off as desperate. This is such a great story and I’ve enjoyed following it on your blog from the beginning. Thanks for sharing!

24 Parita @ myinnershakti April 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Haha! I love hearing the “how we met/started dating” stories! Yours is a good one. :) Hope unpacking, organizing, etc. is as stressless as possible!

25 LC April 13, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Did you buy your friend Leah an amazing gift???

Funny enough, my friend LEA introduced my future husband and me. She is the only friend we have who was friends with each of us separately. She gets a special shout out on the wedding website.

26 cassie April 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm

i love a good love story :-) it’s amazing how things work out sometimes.. congrats on a fab 1st year and good luck with the move..

27 Rachel April 13, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Rachel, you just made me tingle! I don’t know what it is, but I have this obsession with hearing / reading about other people’s love stories. This is so exciting, and how crazy that one little email/ Gchat led to what you have now?

Good thing he sent you that email and you took the plunge! Your love story blows all those classics out of the water ; )

28 Chelsea April 13, 2011 at 6:45 pm

This is amazing! HA! April 16th is my lucky day too :) Two years in a row on April 16th I won a raffle. One year it was an insane trip to the Bahamas and the next year it was a one carat diamond! Maybe this year it will be an awesome guy – I’ll be channeling my inner positivity in finding my half-orange this Saturday :)

29 cindylu April 15, 2011 at 2:14 am

Just started reading your blog and enjoying it. I can related to the cross-country LDR. I was in a bicoastal relationship for most of last year with the understanding that it would be about a year and a half before he could move. At the end of the year he moved to LA. We lived together for about 3 months as he got settled with a new job and found a place. It was a big change seeing each other bimonthly to seeing each other daily and took some adjusting. But I love it.

Congrats on getting the new place together.

30 Anastasia April 15, 2011 at 5:36 am

What a great story. Of course it’s amazing since it got you here in TX!

31 Rachel April 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm

LOVE THIS!! Enough so that in addition to being unproductive at work reading it, I am now super unproductive at work BLOGGING about you: http://www.guidetomenhattan.com/2011/04/best-internet-love-story-ever.html)

32 Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily April 15, 2011 at 3:38 pm

That is such a great story!

33 Missy Maintains April 16, 2011 at 2:22 am

Love this story! So much fun to read since I’ve been reading about your relationship from the start. I am the same way with guys that are too nice. I tend to run away if they don’t show some sort of an asshole side to them.

34 sbg April 21, 2011 at 2:30 am

what a nice story! oh long distance love. they say that distance makes the heart grow fonder. glad you guys are together now!