Rachel Getting Hungry: Greek Meatballs

by Rachel on April 20, 2011

One of the things I was most looking forward to about the move was the fact that I could start going home for lunch.

I typically bring my lunch to work every day and when I do that, I just eat it at my desk (blame it on my first job at ELLE, when I wasn’t really allowed to be anywhere else). Sometimes I run errands after my lunch al desko, but if I don’t have any errands, I don’t really leave my desk or my office all day. Then around 3:00, I realize I have no idea what the weather is like outside and I feel very sad. So the idea of getting to eat at my comfy, cushy new place on real dishes with real light streaming through the windows is very exciting!

That, combined with the fact that I’m no longer going between my place and Eric’s, means I can actually grocery shop and meal plan without wasting food. (I can’t tell you how many times my lunch ingredients were at the wrong place! Eventually I just started putting all my lunch groceries in the company fridge. Thank goodness we’re a small company.) When Eric and I went grocery shopping on Sunday, one of my main goals was having enough food to make really great meals all week. These Greek meatballs were one of those meals!

This is How We Do It

Preheat the oven to 375. Combine 1 lb. ground chicken, 2 tbsp milk, 2 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper, 2 tbsp panko bread crumbs, and a dash of Greek seasoning (if you have it) in a large bowl. Mix well with a fork and then use your hands to form into small meatballs. (I made nine but I recommend making them smaller and making more like 15.) Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until they are cooked through.

To serve, spread a pita with a tablespoon of Greek yogurt, a tablespoon of feta cheese, lettuce, and red onion and then put meatballs (3-5, depending on how big you made them) into the pita. Serve with veggies and hummus.

I made the meatballs on Sunday night with the plan to eat them for lunch this week. I don’t know if it’s because I was delighted to be getting some much-needed sunlight or because of the food, but they made for a great lunch. Perfectly spiced, cool, and creamy, I think they hold up even al desko though, because Eric loved his lunch too. Most of the measurements are approximate, so you can definitely get creative here and add more or less ingredients as you see fit. You could also add feta and sub in ground lamb to basically make my lamburgers in ball form.

Cheap, healthy, tasty, and a mood-lifter…what more could you want from your lunch?? I mean, until we can get some part of it to vibrate, I’m pretty sure this is about as good as it gets!

1 Mel April 20, 2011 at 1:31 pm

If you ever get your hands on some vibrating meatballs, you’ll DEFINITELY have to let us know! hahaha

2 Alison April 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm

This literally just made me drool on my keyboard. I need lunch, STAT!

3 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. April 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Wow, these sound and look pretty amazing. Like my mouth is watering right now, literally.

4 Manon April 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Holy foodgasm. If homeboy doesn’t wife you soon, I’m going to.

5 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher April 20, 2011 at 2:19 pm

What a nice life you speak of. Because I eat, work out, study + workout in the city (NYC) I take my whole life with me. I’m like a bag lady, it’s not even funny.

6 Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic April 20, 2011 at 3:28 pm

This sounds delicious. I am bookmarking now!

7 Arianna April 20, 2011 at 3:48 pm

As a Greek girl.. I LOVE this and could totally eat it everyday! Saving this recipe :)

8 Jessica April 20, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Totally going on MY list of things to make. I usually sit at my desk through lunch too, so depressing.

9 Rachel April 20, 2011 at 7:46 pm

That last sentence made my whole day.

10 Lisa April 20, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I need pita recommendations! That looks amazing but the pitas I usually get make anything I create fall flat :(

11 Caitlin April 21, 2011 at 9:04 am

Totally unrelated but I LOVE the fresh flowers you got going on here. That totally makes lunch at home worth it for me.

12 Rachel April 21, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Those are actually fake! That was my “feeling very Martha” project from last weekend…I’m excited they look real!

13 Missy Maintains April 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I’ve always been slightly jealous of bloggers who get to eat lunch at home! I am eating at my desk right now and it is not fun. I am extra jealous of your amazing looking pita since I can’t eat bread during Passover right now.

14 Ali April 21, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Looks amaze-balls! I’m obsessed with feta cheese and greek yogurt right now. Might need to try this baby out.

15 Rachel April 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Apartment looks great Rachel! I am so happy for you. And I’m insanely jealous that you get to come home during your lunch break…how convenient is that? Must feel great getting out of the office for a bit to sit down to a home-cooked meal too ; ) You seem so happy, and you couldn’t be more deserving!

16 Manda April 23, 2011 at 11:45 am

Oh my gosh, this sounds fantastic! I love gyros but I feel really bad about eating lamb. (I eat meat, but I feel bad eating baby animals. I know it’s totally irrational.) This is an awesome substitute!

17 erin m. April 23, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Good luck with your meal planning goals! I only plan a few a week – planning a week out we ended up throwing out too much food. Sad face. I am stealing this recipe for an easy weeknight meal! Thank you for sharing!

18 Christina April 24, 2011 at 4:57 am

Boooo you aren’t posting very much anymore :(. I miss your posts! Is your arm still hurt?

19 Jessica C. September 9, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I forgot about this recipe… yum yum yum! I am going to have to try these. What types of things would you pack when you were eating at your desk? I really struggle with eating things that are healthy but still make me happy when it comes to packed lunches. Most things end up soggy or weird and that makes me not excited to enjoy them.