Good Friday Indeed

by Rachel on April 24, 2011

Things I need to have a perfect day (in no particular order):

• A clean house
  • A little grocery shopping
  • Cooking
  • Delicious food
  • Some good drank
  • Looking at pretty things
  • Shopping at at least one of my favorite stores
  • Good hair
  • The right weather (either sunny and warm or the perfect cold to make me feel all cozy inside)
  • Good reading material (new magazines, new book, and/or wedding blogs)
  • A little alone time
  • Time with someone I like

Last Friday? Pretty much nailed them all.

lavender roses

I had been looking forward to it all week and it did not disappoint.

I had the day off of work so Eric and I planned to do a little shopping. He had a half day (which we were hoping would turn into more like a quarter-day) and I hung out at the apartment while a DirecTV technician came back out to set up our DVR. While the technician did his thing, I got motivated and took on the spare bedroom. Once I got started, I turned into the Tasmanian Devil in a cute apron and tore through it for about two hours. By the end, it looked like a completely different room…one with a fully-assembled computer, two desks, a bookshelf lined with books, and a visible floor. And I decided that I really didn’t need to worry about working out at all — moving and all that that includes (cleaning, organizing, dragging shit from room to room, building, running errands, moving furniture around like I’m playing some real-life version of Tetris, etc.) has been keeping me feeling more than active lately and I kind of love it.

Just as I sat down at the computer around 10:00, I got a text from Eric saying to come pick him up before the phone rang or his boss changed his mind. I put on my heels on and was out the door!

After I picked him up, we headed to Funny Fur, a dog accessory store that I bought a Groupon to a while back. The store has bizarre hours, so we were taking advantage and going during a weekday. After browsing for a bit, we picked out two little dog collars for our future puppies.

Once we had achieved our main goal for the day, I took him out to lunch. At Chipotle. I spoil him, I know.

After that, I dropped him off back at his office and went to do the things I had been really excited about all week.

container store

First stop was The Container Store where I spent the better part of an hour wandering the aisles, trying to choose the perfect containers to organize the baking supplies in my pantry. (Hint: get cereal containers, not baking supplies containers, whenever possible — the cereal ones have pouring spouts on top that are really useful!) I didn’t go too crazy but I did decide that some other things were just necessities (like an organizer for the ten million plastic shopping bags that Eric insists on carrying his lunch in). I had a 15 percent off coupon from Real Simple magazine and when I walked out with those two bags after all was said and done, I wasn’t sure if I had just reached the pinnacle of happiness, or if that was going to come later, when I actually started organizing.

But before I could get to that point, I had a bunch of other joyous errands to run. The only place I really needed to go was West Elm, to get a little fish statue and a vase I had been wanting for the shelf in the dining room for a month. While I was there, I decided since we needed a kitchen timer (every time I try to use the one on the microwave, I just turn the microwave on and don’t realize it for approximately five minutes) I would finally suck it up and buy the one I’ve wanted for two years. (Seriously — it’s in my Christmas gift guide from 2009.)

I wandered through West Elm for a while. And once I was finished, and had gotten my essentials, it too gorgeous outside not to browse more stores in the outdoor mall at Highland Village. I took my time in Williams-Sonoma (HELLO, has anyone seen the fabulous lipstick pink KitchenAid stand mixers they have for Mother’s Day?!) and Anthropologie (where the hurricane struck and I may have broken something) before heading to Central Market for fresh flowers to put in my vase. I love Central Market, so it was the perfect way to end my shopping trip.

For me, spending a few hours getting some sun while browsing stores filled with pretty and/or yummy things is really relaxing and makes me really happy. And it’s the kind of thing I have to do alone, because Eric totally ruins it with his hatred of Williams-Sonoma. (No, I don’t think they should be charging $15 for measuring cups, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy looking, right?!)

By the time I got home, I was pretty worn out from shopping, but not too worn out to finally organize the pantry!

Eric was napping but he got up and we headed to Target to go grocery shopping, and, still feeling like organizing some more, I organized the fridge and managed to make it look like we hadn’t just come home with tons of groceries.

I was so relaxed by the clean, organized, and now more-decorated apartment. I made chicken burgers for dinner (using the Greek meatball recipe!) which we had with asparagus and beer and we went to Swirll to get some frozen yogurt for dessert. When we got home, I was nearly satisfied in all aspects of life, but I did one more perfect-day thing: downloaded Water for Elephants for my Kindle. I haven’t seen the movie yet, but figured since most books are better than the movies, and the movie looks good, I’d better read it first. I’m about a quarter of the way done with it now and I love it so far. It’s just totally and completely engrossing and wonderful and really unlike any other book I’ve ever read. I’d probably be done if Eric hadn’t woken up yesterday and decided he needed a new mattress and/or new bedroom furniture, a decision that resulted in two trips to Ikea, among other things.

Oh well, though. If you’re lucky, you get a perfect day like this every few months, and it’s usually enough to re-charge you until the next one comes along. After a few weeks weekends without much of a breather, a busy week at work, and nights filled with more to-dos, I needed mine badly.

Anyone else have that perfect day lately? What do you need to have the perfect day?

1 Dori April 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Great day! My perfect day would never include any type of cleaning. Water for Elephants is a great book. I am about to re-read Something Borrowed so it is fresh in my mind before the movie. My perfect day involves laying in the sun, eating brunch foods, drinking cocktails, having sex and maybe a nap.

2 Manda April 24, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I think today is a pretty good day so far. I got to sleep in (sleeping in is 8 o’clock), I did a quick grocery run, I’m making cookies and watching HGTV, later I’ll go to some friends’ for brunch where wine will be drank, then home to relax for the night. That’s pretty much the perfect day.

3 Caitlin April 24, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Oh man, this sounds so amazing! I am LONG overdue for one of these. Mine, too, would include a perfect weather day – although I prefer it a little cool so I can wear layers and boots. It would start with a fantastic French breakfast, a great mocha to go, window shopping, a stop at the salon, purchasing something new and great for my place, relaxing for a few hours and then dinner with a few great people. You’ve got me excited for my next one!

4 Dallas April 24, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I hope there’s a post forthcoming about the new bedroom furniture?! #livinginsin has me completely hooked.

5 Rachel April 25, 2011 at 7:56 am

I’m so glad to hear that…I have been worried I’ve been posting about it too much and that everyone is sick of it!

Re: bedroom furniture. We didn’t buy any…the mattress was the main priority, and then Eric turned that into, “Well, maybe I should just get a whole new bedroom set.” I was for that because his dresser is (in my mind) a POS. He says the drawers can be fixed. We’ll see. He got a new mattress, so that was good! For now, new bedroom furniture is on the radar but we didn’t see anything we really loved, so it’s not going to happen any time soon I don’t think!

6 Chelsei B April 24, 2011 at 1:12 pm

That sounds like absolute heaven. I miss Highland Village so much!! Orlando doesn’t seem to believe in the container store so I have to stock up on things when I come home

7 Tenecia April 24, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Another reason why I love you….you use the word “drank”….nuff said! :)

T.

8 Emily Hayden April 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm

You’re not the first one to break something at Anthropologie! I shattered a $24 champagne flute once. But honestly, that’s what they get for stuffing a tiny shelf so full of glasses that they’re all on the verge of tipping anyway! And my perfect day is strangely similar to yours – I’m having a wonderful Easter reading and cleaning the bathroom.

9 Rachel April 25, 2011 at 7:54 am

Amen to that.

10 [SMASH] April 24, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Now THAT is definitely a good [Good] Friday! I love being off on a weekday to run errands.

11 LauraJayne April 24, 2011 at 8:37 pm

My good days always start with a good workout and end with good eats! A perfect day includes LOTS of shopping, some reading, and a loooonnngg bubble bath!

12 Natalie @ Scarlett Notions April 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I adore #livinginsin! My perfect day includes either a snowy or sunny morning walk with my dog, delicious coffee, brunch, plenty of reading time with a pile of new books and magazines, and a dust-free apartment with an organized closet!

13 Ashley Breton @fromashleywithlove.com April 24, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I had the perfect day today! Easter with both my fam and my boyfriends fam, some Thursday night TV catching up, and some napping :) Love the progress so far!

14 Ali April 24, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Sounds like a busy day. You’re such an organizer–I wish I had that trait!

15 Melissa April 25, 2011 at 9:21 am

Sounds like you guys are settling into a good routine! Love that you included some alone time in your perfect day–I need that, too! I would include a good run, time by the pool with a book or magazine, a little shopping, and dinner and drinks outside. Where do I sign up?

16 Sarah April 25, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Where did you get the pretty vase in the first photo? And if you don’t mind me asking, the cost? I am hunting down interesting but simple pieces for centerpiece decor and would definitely love to find some!

Also, I love #livinginsin! And I look forward to reading about the upcoming shenanigans with the new puppies. :)

17 Rachel April 26, 2011 at 8:45 am

West Elm! http://www.westelm.com/products/pure-white-ceramic-vase-collection-a760/?pkey=cdecorative-vases

That vase is the bottle and it was $19! West Elm has tons of simple pieces right now and I love them all…it was hard to choose one!

18 sbg April 26, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Wow! So jealous that you went to the container store. i had to do an ad campaign for a container store once in college but as you probably know, there are NO container stores in MI!