The 1/3 Less Excuses Challenge Check In

by Rachel on April 26, 2011

Two weeks ago, I kicked off a new challenge with KRAFT Singles. We got started with a fitness challenge.

1/3 less excuses fitness challengeThe goal of this challenge was to get you skip your workouts just 1/3 less of the time. A lot of people completed the first part of the challenge by leaving a comment telling me about their workout excuses. Today we’re going to wrap things up. As I said in the original post, to be eligible to win, those of you who left a comment on the post two weeks ago need to leave a comment on this post letting me know how it went.

So…did you make less excuses? Did you maybe sacrifice your good hair day one or two times in an effort to get your workout in? Did you push it just a little harder because you decided “But ‘Real Housewives’ is on tonight” isn’t a good reason to turn a 6-mile run into a 2-mile walk?

Personally, I did make less excuses over the past two weeks! Two less excuses, to be exact. I don’t remember what my excuses were (probably because they weren’t that good) but I tuned them out twice and got my workout in. This challenge definitely gave me a little kick of motivation.

You have until 11:59 PM EST tonight to leave your comment. I’ll pick an iTunes gift card winner at random from the people who left comments on both posts and announce the winner tomorrow along with the details of the next 1/3 Less task.

HOLLER.

1 Catherine April 26, 2011 at 8:56 am

My 1/3 less challenge went pretty good. I skipped one workout and cut short only one run. I skipped the workout because I am fighting with a cranky calf and I hope that skipping my run yesterday will make it feel better when I run today. I cut short a run by .35 miles because I was pressed for time. On the other days though I forced myself to get out there by telling myself that I would be so glad when I’m done that I did workout.

2 ashleigh April 26, 2011 at 9:01 am

I was able to get 4 strength workouts over the past 2 weeks, which is 100% better than the 0 strength workouts I had gotten in over the past month!

Thanks for giving me the extra push to just get it done!!

3 Eirinn April 26, 2011 at 9:02 am

This challenge definitely helped me make less excuses… the first week. The second week I was back on my excuses and didn’t meet the goals I made for myself. However I am still proud of myself for doing the exercise routine planned one week and although I didn’t follow up for week two, I still got some runs and exercise in!

4 Eirinn April 26, 2011 at 9:04 am

and I tried my first spin class last night even though I was trying to make some dumb excuse for why I shouldn’t! (i was a little late, oops)

5 Devon April 26, 2011 at 9:11 am

I quit using my wisdom teeth extraction as an excuse & I went to the gym & cycled! Go me!

6 Betsy April 26, 2011 at 9:20 am

Great success!

First, I made it to the gym or out on a run WAY more than usual. Second, I got a personal trainer and his prescribed circuits have been kicking my ass. And third, for the first time in my life, my hair was used as an excuse but I overcame it. I was complaining about how I didn’t want to shower and get my hair wet, and I realized I was making an effing hair excuse. Bad form. I hit the trails running and did 4 miles with my pup. We both needed showers afterwards…

7 Corey April 26, 2011 at 9:31 am

I did my two strength workouts every week. Not one excuse was followed through with. I’m actually starting to notice a difference in my arms, so that’s great. I’d say this was a success!

8 Dori April 26, 2011 at 9:35 am

Mine went great! Look at this photo of me in a headband and ponytail at work — which I NEVER would have done before. This is what happens when I don’t make the hair excuse not to work out in the morning!

9 Toya April 26, 2011 at 9:39 am

I did all my workouts for the past 2 weeks. I almost made the excuse of “it’s too late to go to the gym.” Mind you, the gym closed at 9p and I looked at the time and it was 8:15! But I went and I was able to get through my whole strength workout. I almost made some excuses that it’s raining to get out of taking my 1-2 mile walks, but then I realized, it’s Spring! So yeah, it’s going to rain, I can’t just put off my outdoor exercising until it’s summer time! So I got over the rain, put on a hat (because I was not going to get my newly done wash and set wet!) and walked my way around the neighborhood. I definitely think I’ve made less excuses over the past 2 weeks. Thanks for the contest Rachel!

10 Heather April 26, 2011 at 9:39 am

I only missed one workout in the past 2 weeks! I sucked it up and spent the time on myself, and I feel so much better now that I’ve started a new habit of working out more regularly!

11 Stina April 26, 2011 at 9:43 am

I rocked the first week. I actually did all three of my strength workouts – including a 20 minute Core Fusion sesh! The second week…yeah, not so much. I did a big fat 0 strength workouts…unless operating a tile saw counts.

12 Jaclyn April 26, 2011 at 9:50 am

I did well. My alarm didn’t go off one morning for Boot Camp, so I made up for it by going spinning after work that day, and last Saturday I went to the beach all day instead of going to the gym, but I ran from the parking lot about two miles away to the dock to get some cardio in. I also got shin splints. And chub rub. Advice: don’t run in a bathing suit while wearing flip flops in the Florida sun. Other than those two days, I stuck to my workout schedule as planned with no blips!

13 Julie B April 26, 2011 at 9:59 am

I was able to get in two weekend workouts the past two weeks! I purposely signed up for fun classes at my gym (like zumba and a hip-hop cardio class) to make sure that I’d go. It seems to be a great strategy!

14 Elizabeth April 26, 2011 at 10:06 am

I made one less excuse to not get up and work out – I got up and went to yoga this morning at 6. So, it was not quite 1/3 less excuses, but definitely less than normal. And it felt so good to get a sweat session in, even though my hair is in a ponytail at work today.

15 Manon April 26, 2011 at 10:17 am

I kicked this challenge’s ASS! I didn’t make my bedtime a couple of times, but it was for a good cause (read “cute boy”….sorry, I’m not sorry :) BUT, even on those days I didn’t get up for my morning workout, I still managed to get SOMETHING in that day, even if it was just 15 mins of core fusion. It really helped me get back into a routine!

16 Kelly April 26, 2011 at 10:20 am

I have to say, this challenge was really helpful. I kept thinking, ok, if I crap out and miss this workout, I won’t be able to post how well I did! In each of the last two weeks, I went from 2 to 3 workouts, despite being just as tired (1st trimester of pregnancy). I’m hoping to keep it up, because I definitely felt a lot better!

17 Kristen April 26, 2011 at 11:23 am

I had a cold (which I didn’t let myself use as an excuse) that turned into a horrible, raging sinus infection, that was a totally LEGIT excuse, as I had stabbing ear pain and a constant feeling of dizziness. Since I was not healthy enough for full-fledged workouts until this past weekend, I made myself walk more so I was still moving. I think it helped!

I kicked my butt this weekend at the gym and at yoga. Hopefully I get feeling 100% so I can dominate the next 1/3 challenge!

18 Isha April 26, 2011 at 11:23 am

Right, so, I totally failed this one. Not only did I continue to avoid the abs workout (primarily laziness and conveniently forgetting about it until bedtime), I also skipped a few of my push-ups days as well. Sad. But I’m determined not to let this continue! I’m turning it around today.

19 Maeve April 26, 2011 at 11:54 am

Mine is going really well! I’ve made it to 3 hot yoga classes a week and I can really tell the difference in my body. Even after Easter my clothes fit better.

20 Amanda @ Click. The Good News April 26, 2011 at 11:55 am

I’ve been doing good with my workouts- but it is taper time before Saturday’s marathon. My schedule was all funky with work travel & the holidays, but the weather was so lovely that I took my dogs out on a very rare afternoon run last week when the weather was too amazing not to be outside. Can’t wait to get the marathon behind me & get back to yoga and weights.
Thanks for the contest!

21 kate April 26, 2011 at 11:57 am

I’m happy to say I think I’ve succeeded in making 1/3 less excuses. The days that I’m at work and near the Fitness Center, 50 feet folks, I did not make an excuse and not work out. Monday Tuesday Wednesday Friday I did my time and I’m proud of it! I even jogged my third .25 miles since starting training during this time. I’m not about to run Boston but… “…that’s where YOU are as a runner. It doesn’t make you a better or worse runner. ….decide to move toward where you want to be.” -The Courage to Start. I’m moving towards our Train4Change Triathlon and healthier life. woohoo! Thanks for the added encouragement.

22 Alexa April 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm

You know, I came here to post about how I had messed up my goal of 1/3 less excuses. I hadn’t really kept track. But then, thinking back on all the new workouts I tried this month, I realized I actually HAD met my goal! Even if I don’t win, this was a really exciting challenge for me. Now I can set a tougher goal for myself.

23 Brie @ Brie Fit April 26, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I said I’d do 1/3 less walking in my half marathon, and update: I kicked it’s ass–zero walking and a new PR!

24 Rachel April 26, 2011 at 2:02 pm

That is awesome!!

25 Frances C. April 26, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Well, while I didn’t use my typical excuses, I did use the excuse that I injured my knee. I know I could have done something. I had good intentions. It’s just frustrating not to be able to do what you want. (yet another excuse)

26 Sarah April 26, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I said I’d leave myself only one “I am le tired” excuse for skipping a workout, and I didn’t skip one at all until this morning – four consecutive days of very little sleep and a whole lot of papers finally caught up with me. Oh well, I still met my goal!

27 Ana April 26, 2011 at 12:55 pm

This challenge was a good kick in the ass to step up my workout routine. In this two week challenge, I finish another eight mile run, and started shaving time off my run. Thank you so much for it!

28 Liz @ IHeartVegetables April 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I ate 1/3 less bread… ok that’s not an exact number, but i’m a Carboholic and I really really tried to cut down on unnecessary bread items (like crackers in soup, bread on a sandwich, etc)

It was not easy!

29 Michelle April 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I totally forgot about the challenge and completely failed at it! :( But this has reminded me, so hopefully it’ll kickstart my habits again. I’ve been so busy at school lately.

30 Cory April 26, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Even though on days I wash my hair, I don’t like to work out the next morning because it ruins the ‘fresh hair’ look. BUT twice I’ve gone to the gym anyway and my hair still looked pretty decent. The feeling after getting my work out done first thing in the morning is worth not having perfect hair that only I notice the difference of.

31 Hayley April 26, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’ve been better organized lately, so I haven’t felt the urge to make excuses. I started actually using my personal agenda instead of letting it collect dust on my desk. I schedule in time for exercise so that I can’t use the “no time” excuse and it seems to be working so far…

32 Stephanie April 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm

This challenge was great! Rather then the old excuse of having nothing to do but go out to dinner with a friend, we hit a new yoga studio and went twice! I also added on more early morning gym stop to my weeks. It makes a huge difference.

33 Beth April 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm

So honestly, this challenge was a breeze for me, simply because I just happened to meet a guy right after this started who LOVES to work out just as much as I do. Our first date was at Outback ( I live at Fort Hood, there aren’t very many options!), and I apparently impressed him with my workout-talk because our second, third, and fourth dates were at the gym. He wanted to “check out how hard I work out” ie-he wanetd to check out my ass. Anyways, with him around lately, I really had to plan my meals (he eats so dang much!), and we’ve worked out together every day. I did skip one day, only bc I hadn’t taken a day off in about two weeks, but I did make sure to eat extra healthy! Cheers!

34 Jennifer April 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I did pretty good at the challenge. I wanted to use my excuses, but most of the time I tried not to. There was one time that I didn’t want to have to wash my hair in the morning, so I didn’t work out, but other than that…I stuck with it :)

35 Nikki April 26, 2011 at 3:53 pm

My goal was to add more yoga to my workouts, especially after cardio. I made it to two extra yoga classes.

I actually justified re-activating my Netflix account so I had ‘more down time to stretch’ in the evenings (we don’t have television at all). Which meant I stretched after EVERY cardio session – so take that, 1/3 challenge!

36 Jean April 26, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I did very well the first week. Didn’t skip any in my plan. Week 2 I was unable to complete since I hurt my back last Monday. I had to sit out of the gym the whole week. :)
Thankfully from the rest, I am able to get back at it this week.

37 Stefanie April 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I did pretty well with this challenge!
I told myself that I would allow one day a week to skip being active. I did just that! Once due to heavy rain and lighting. The second time I allowed myself to skip the gym not due to actual laziness but to hang out with friends that I had not seen in a while.
Other than that I stuck to either going to the gym or enjoying the outdoors!

38 Sable April 26, 2011 at 6:28 pm

My comments have been going in your spam! =0(

My 2 week challenge has gone swimmingly. =) I have continued to lift heavy AND finally have started to pick up the pace on my (few…) cardio sessions. I can feel a difference in my sinuses, lungs AND in my lifts! It’s been great! I think I’m going to make it a rest-of-my-life challenge ;)

39 Nicole Beck April 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm

My challenge went well!! Especially this past Easter weekend, when I spent the whole break running, walking trails, Crossfitting, and playing ultimate frisbee.

40 Paige April 26, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I did NOT do well. I’m moving and I keep using it for an excuse…even though it’s mostly just laziness. I plan on tackling the next round with much more energy than this one.

41 Missy Maintains April 26, 2011 at 8:27 pm

My challenge went great! I worked out every single day except for one and that was because my body really needed the rest. It was even hard to give myself that day! I never made excuses and instead, got excited to go to my gym classes!

42 Cynthia (It All Changes) April 26, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I did okay. I was ordered to rest until I could begin Physical Therapy but I still did my stretches each day.

After I received the go ahead I have been walking or doing my exercises at least 3 days a week.

43 Hannah April 26, 2011 at 9:23 pm

At first, I was going to say that I completely failed at this experiment. Then, I thought about the workouts that I tried during the challenge that I wouldn’t have tried before, like spending an hour on a bike on one of my non running days. True, I didn’t have amazing success, but I was able to try a few new things, and get a little more strength training in than usual. There’s always room for improvement!

44 Kellie April 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I actually did make less excuses! I went to the gym every day that I planned to except for one. Hopefully I’ll be keeping up this pattern even though finals are next week!

45 Lea April 27, 2011 at 5:45 am

Shoot…missed the deadline, but I wanted to post that I DID use fewer excuses, anyway. My biggest success was getting up off my butt on a Sunday night (when I was all alone and could have easily “skipped” working out) and did a particularly intense workout DVD. Woo hoo!

46 Allison April 27, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Missed the deadline too :( BUT I only skipped my post-run stretch ONCE over the last two weeks.