The 1/3 Less Excuses Challenge Check In

by Rachel on May 10, 2011

It’s time to check in on the KRAFT Singles 1/3 Less Challenge!

The most recent challenge was a healthy cooking challenge — 1/3 Less Shortcuts.

For this challenge, you had to take 1/3 less shortcuts with your food. As I said before, we all have those go-to meals that aren’t terrible for us, but just aren’t that great. The goal was to try to skip your “shortcut meal” a few times and put just a little effort into making something that tastes delicious and makes you feel good.

Today I’m picking a winner for this challenge! As I said in the original post, to be eligible to win, those of you who left a comment on the post two weeks ago need to leave a comment on this post letting me know how it went.

And don’t forget — if you like Kraft Singles on Facebook, you can leave a comment here letting me know you did for a bonus entry!

You have until 11:59 PM EST tonight to comment. I’ll pick the $15 grocery gift card winner at random from the people who left comments on both posts and announce the winner tomorrow along with the details of the next 1/3 Less task.

Over and out!

1 Catherine May 10, 2011 at 9:46 am

This challenge was really hard for me. After I work all day and then working out the last thing I wanted to do was spend at least another hour in the kitchen dinking around with food prep. But I did it! It took all that I had not to pull out the cheese grater and the tortillas and make quesadillas. I made chili lime chicken that lasted me for two nights, I also make a breakfast like burrito that I will eat on for days but all in all I only opted for my cheater meal twice once each week. I don’t know how people do it!

2 kate May 10, 2011 at 9:57 am

I think I actually took 1/3 more shortcuts last week regarding eats. I had cereal two nights, ate out when we weren’t originally planning on it and had leftover french fries and onion rings for dinner one night. All that being said, I don’t regret what I ate last week. I think I forgot that cereal is sometimes an option for dinner, and it was yummy.

I look forward to the next 1/3 less challenge

3 Stina May 10, 2011 at 9:59 am

I actually did really well this time around. I definitely took 1/3 less short-cuts grabbing breakfast just once and only eating dinner out twice (and one of those two times was for Mother’s Day with the family!)

Much better than my attempt at 1/3 less exercise excuses.

4 Hannah May 10, 2011 at 10:04 am

I didn’t leave a comment in the last post so I’m not eligible, but I’d still like to say what I did.
Since I have a meal plan for school, I don’t really need to make any of my food. Occasionally though, I eat something that’s in my room, like if I’m studying for something. I made it my goal to make sure to get fruits and veggies in with my meals, even if I wasn’t going to eat in the eating hall. I think I did pretty well with it too!

5 Eirinn May 10, 2011 at 10:22 am

Trying to spice up my lunches was easier than I expected. Especially on the days when I could heat it. I made some mac and cheese w/ broccoli, burritos, bought sushi (maybe cheating), lasagna (left over), chicken salad, homemade salad (dressing and all) because the vegetable garden is starting to produce again and last but not least, quiche, which was great for breakfast or lunch! I happy to say this challenge was more successful than the last.

6 Michelle May 10, 2011 at 10:34 am

I did pretty well on this challenge. My hubby was out of town for most of the two weeks, and I only had an egg sandwich once for dinner…it probably helped that I was out of eggs & too lazy to go to the grocery store…either way, victory!

7 Missy Maintains May 10, 2011 at 10:36 am

I said that I would buy fresh ingredients to make my own salads instead of buying them out every night. Well…I still bought some out but made a salad last night at least! I still have a lot of room to improve and keep spending way too much money on food outside!

8 Dori May 10, 2011 at 10:44 am

I did OK. I made an egg sandwich a couple of times, which is definitely more work than just eating the bread. I didn’t do as great as I would have liked, because I bought an eggplant and ignored it and had to throw it out. But making minor progress.

9 Sarah May 10, 2011 at 11:00 am

I… Well, I tried. When I ate in the caf, I tried to go for the healthiest option or make my own, and I DID a few times – making myself a healthier instead of heading for the biscuit and bacon temptationland, getting a pimped out sandwich when the caf was dishing out Fried Things With Fries. Honestly, though, it’s the end of the year and everyone is throwing lunches/dinners/parties for the senior class. The ultimate short cut is free food prepared by someone else, and as a broke ass ho, I took it. I’ll do better after graduation. Sorry I’m not sorry.

10 Melissa May 10, 2011 at 11:01 am

I ate a muffin one day and fruit & yogurt another day, so I did ok. I need to make some more muffins & take the time to cut up fruit so I have it on hand for breakfast. It takes 2 seconds. I’m going to keep working at it.

11 Margaret May 10, 2011 at 11:46 am

I actually did great with this challenge!! Much better than the first one. I replaced my turkey dog lunch shortcut with a variety of salads, and went from turkey dogs several times a week to none at all. Breakfast is the one I am super proud of however. I went from never eating breakfast, to eating some sort of breakfast every week day (not the weekends – those were for sleeping in and maybe a late brunch!). I had something as simple as a handful of almonds and string cheese with my tea, to crockpot steelcut oatmeal that I could share with the baby. It made me feel better, sleep better, and get up earlier.

12 Maeve May 10, 2011 at 11:47 am

My 1/3 less challenge is going okay…I have been relying on peanut butter toast to get me through almost every boring afternoon at the office. And sometimes I eat out of boredom, not hunger. But yesterday I had an apple and instant oatmeal, and sometime last week I had saltines with a light string cheese. Once I had a cookie–hey, it’s breaking the rut!

13 Lindsay May 10, 2011 at 11:57 am

I did very well! I vowed not to make my usual scrambled egg dinner even once during the 2 weeks and I didn’t! Instead, I broke out my crockpot and made the Hawaiian BBQ pulled chicken featured on EatLiveRun, and also tried a chicken & goat cheese recipe from KathEats. I live alone so both of these provided extra left overs and I was eating well for many days! So glad to give the scrambled eggs a little break

14 Frances C. May 10, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I think I might have failed this challenge. I seem to recall a couple of dinners last week that involved quesadillas and corn. But there was a salad and vegetables and protein (chicken) and I only made pasta once, so maybe I didn’t do too badly.

15 Lea May 10, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I did well on this challenge–I planned reduce the number of times I eat out by half, and I did it! I even went so far as to cook for my mother on Mother’s Day, instead of battling the crowds at the restaurants! Score for me–the food was better, cheaper, and everybody was happy and cozy!

16 Sable May 10, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I DID start finally switching up breakfasts. *Sometimes.* I did it about 1/4th less than usual — I make vegan french toast with a protein shake a couple of times, and protein pancakes once. It was nice to get away from my norm of oat bran and eggs but in the end I’ve found that I actually really LIKE my oat bran and eggs. haha

17 ashleigh May 10, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Well i won’t say I rocked this challenge, but I tried. My goal was to stop throwing something over salad and calling it in dinner… but I can’t help it, it’s my favorite way to get extra veggies in! I did try a few old stand by’s like a loaded veggie burger instead of one just over salad and that was delicious.

18 Elina (Healthy and Sane) May 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I’ve been so much better the past few weeks – I’m really proud of myself actually :) I meal plan for every night of the week, unless I have plans to go out, but many nights I find myself tired/unmotivated to cook. This week I made adjustments and instead of eating out, I actually cooked! They were not as elaborate as my original plans but I adopted and created fun dishes like ww pasta with shrimp, roasted tomatoes and garlic/evoo… and tacos with leftover beef from dinner the night before with a kick ass guac I made from scratch. So satisfying to push through and make something delicious and healthy :)
Oh and I think I promised I’d make granola bars and ice cream from scratch. I did make ice cream (all gone, my husband and friends went to town on it) but the granola bars will have to wait for another week.
Enjoy your vacation!!!

19 Manon May 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I’ve still been on a pasta kick, but I’ve done really well with making sure I have fresh veggies, and lean proteins on hand, so I’m not just eating noodles and cheese for dinner every night. Soooo much more satisfying!

20 Manon May 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm

aaaaand I “liked” Kraft singles on FB…….

21 Emily @ Relishments May 10, 2011 at 5:23 pm

My cooking shortcut was not cooking anything for lunch for my husband and I. We ate a lot of yogurt and I complained about how much lunch sucked as a result. Last week I made a pan of enchiladas which we divided up and took every day for lunch. This week I made a big batch of barley with tempeh and vegetables and Green Tea Sesame Sauce (http://www.food.com/recipe/green-tea-sesame-sauce-276888). I’ve been much happier and much fuller. Still, I was pretty cranky Sunday night when I had to spend extra time in the kitchen making the food. I’ll keep working on that issue.

22 Michelle May 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I was worried that I would order food or eat out a lot since I was in the middle of finals and moving out of my apartment! I’m proud to say I did well with this challenge. Of course it wasn’t as healthy as I typically like to be, but I didn’t cave and order pizza every night.

23 Nikki May 10, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I rocked this challenge – I made a “green monster” smoothie every day! It didn’t hurt that there was a freak overstock of strawberries all week at Trader Joes .. $2.50 for two lbs.