The 1/3 Less Challenge: Less Stress

by Rachel on May 11, 2011

Welcome back to the final challenge in the KRAFT Singles 1/3 Less Challenge!

The “1/3 less” idea behind this challenge comes from the 1/3 less fat (2.5 grams of fat per slice compared to 4.5 grams in the leading process cheese slice) that KRAFT Singles Made with 2% Milk have. To recap: There will be three 1/3 Less Challenges over a six week period and each one will have a prize. To be eligible to win, you’ll have to set a goal and then check in on my blog two weeks later to let me know how it went. If you enter each challenge, you’ll be eligible to win the grand prize — a $100 Visa gift card! If you only enter one or two of the challenges, you’ll only be eligible for that week’s prize.

We’re just finishing up our second challenge and now it’s time to announce the winner of the 1/3 Less Shortcuts Challenge. The winner of the $15 grocery gift card is…

Congrats, Lea! I’ll be in touch for your mailing address today!

Now, onto the final challenge…

For this challenge, I want you to chill out. Seriously. Whatever is worrying you? Worry about it a little less. The ridiculous amount of time you’re spending doing things you feel like you have to do but you really hate doing? Reduce it by 1/3. And stop skipping out on your preferred forms of relaxation. All I’m asking is that you take it easy and act like a way-too-stressed-out-biatch 1/3 less of the time!

That’s not so hard, right?

The winner of this challenge will get a $15 SpaFinder.com gift card! And if you’ve entered the first two challenges, be sure to enter this one so you’ll have a shot at the $100 Visa gift card.

To win this challenge you must:

• Leave a comment on this post telling me about what stresses you out and how you’re going to deal. (“I get really stressed about my boyfriend’s Facebook statuses. Sometimes I think he’s lying and it makes me want to drive by his house to find out for sure.”) You have until Friday 5/13 to leave a comment to be eligible.
  • In said comment, let me know how you’re going to stress 1/3 less in the next two weeks. (“In the next two weeks, I’m going to be a Facebook creeper 1/3 less of the time! Whenever I feel the urge to creep on Facebook I’m going to step away from the computer and do something productive instead.”)
  • Come back to my blog in two weeks and leave a comment on the challenge wrap-up post (to be posted Wednesday 5/25) and let me know how the whole thing went for you.

I’ll pick a gift card winner at random from the people who left comments on both posts! And don’t forget to tweet @ RachelGettingIt and @Kraftsingles with the hash tag #BetterForYou.

Fine print: You have to be 18 years or older and a US resident to be eligible to win.

GET ON IT!

1 Dori May 11, 2011 at 10:13 am

I get stressed easily. These days, it is my health insurance situation that stresses me out. I am going to stress less by not making it into a bigger deal by venting n Twitter. I make it worse for myself and get all sick over it. I want to do this more than 1/3 less.

2 Sable May 11, 2011 at 10:20 am

Oh man this is well-timed Rachel!!

My hubby is supposed to be getting discharged soon but his chain of command keeps f-ing with him (can I swear on your blog??) and I don’t know where I should enroll for school next semester, or if I should be applying to other schools, or what’s going on. For the next two weeks, I am going to make a strong effort to dismiss those frantic thoughts 1/3rd of the time because….I can’t control the outcome anyway. Whew. Here we go!

3 Rachel May 11, 2011 at 10:26 am

Can you swear on my blog?! Pshaaa.

4 Catherine May 11, 2011 at 10:24 am

One thing that stresses me out is my relationship situation. I get punchy, crabby and whiny to the people around me. I also tend to post cryptic poor me statuses on Facebook. I am going to for two weeks try hard not to worry, let things ride their course and see what happens. I am also going to back away from the computer/smartphone if I feel I am going to post a poor me status. I want to do this 1/3 less than I am doing it now.

5 Jess May 11, 2011 at 10:28 am

Hi Rachel, I know I can’t enter because I’m not in the US but this challenge sounds like something I really need to do so I hope I’m allowed to follow along unofficially!

I get stressed from trying to balance everything in my life (uni, my job, a healthy lifestyle etc), I really wish I could chill out a little and go easier on myself. Plus the more I stress, the less work I actually get done!

To stress less I am going to continue using my diary and start writing daily to do lists. I am going to start doing yoga more than once a week and get outside more, even though it’s freezing! Hopefully this will help and I can stop being a stress head!

6 Rachel May 11, 2011 at 10:38 am

You can always enter unofficially! I’m glad you did!

7 Missy Maintains May 11, 2011 at 10:31 am

I hate to say it but my pants not fitting is stressing me out! I look in the mirror and get all pissed off and stressed out in the morning. Instead of getting frustrated, I am going to take action and do something about it. I will reduce my portions and stop eating like I am out of control at night! Starting a 3 day cleanse next week to get things going.

8 Lea May 11, 2011 at 10:34 am

I have been the queen of stress this week (until now, I mean…yay for winning the last challenge!). Monday I woke up and hit Stress Street, running…partially because I had over-extended myself over the weekend doing social stuff, leaving NO “me” time (me time = sitting on my ass, on the couch, reading magazines or blogs). Me time leaves me calm and centered for the week ahead. No me time leaves me a whiny bitch, basically. Though I like being social and hanging out with friends, I don’t like doing at the expense of ME. So, I plan to spend 1/3 less of my free time chillin’ with my homies over the next two weeks and 1/3 more of my free time as Lea Time. It still leaves plenty of time for socializing as well as doing things just for myself.

9 Kelly May 11, 2011 at 10:36 am

My current stressor is the stupidest one of all – keeping my house/yard maintained. I mean seriously, no one is going to notice if there are toys and dog hair around, right? So, I’m going to try to stress less by taking a deep breath and doing something fun for me instead of worrying about vacuuming and weeding and cleaning toilets and everything else. At the end of the day, my happiness is worth more than a perfect house.

10 Manon May 11, 2011 at 10:59 am

Well hellllooooooo perfect timing! I’m uber stressed over the possibility of one of my favorite people on planet earth moving 3 hours away as well anxiety over dating a boy I like, because a) it’s weird that I actually LIKE a boy for longer than 2 weeks and of course I get all kinds of crazy thoughts in my head like “I wonder how many other girls he’s dating” or “how long until he acts like a douche worthy of a blog post”….and all things mentioned aren’t things I have any control over, and for stress source #2, if I’m thinking the worst of someone, I’m probably going to bring it out in them. Sooooooooo…….when any of these things pop in my head, I’m going to tell myself “Don’t be ridiculous” and think about something that makes me happy…..like rainbows, kittens, butterflies, tequila…….you get the idea.

11 Dallas May 11, 2011 at 11:17 am

My biggest stress is that my job is ending in July and I don’t have a new position locked down yet. I want to stress about this by a LOT less than 1/3, and I want to turn negative, spiral-of-doom stress into healthy, positive, motivated energy for my job search and resume sending mojo.

In the next two weeks, I want to have updated my resume and made it all shiny and applied to 3-5 positions that are a good fit, in the direction I want to go to build my career.

12 Eirinn May 11, 2011 at 11:26 am

Finals! They are next week. I think about them all the time but I find myself putting off studying. So to stress 1/3 less of the time about finals I am going to put all that energy I spend worrying about them into 1/3 more time studying for them! And then after they are over, I will stress 1/3 less because I know I studied 1/3 more so my grades should be good.

13 Kristen May 11, 2011 at 11:29 am

Wow…what “thing” stresses me out? More like “what seventeen things stress you out on a daily basis?” That won’t really work, so I’ll narrow it down. I get so stressed that I get a bit paralyzed and end up spinning my wheels, doing stuff, but not really ACCOMPLISHING anything. For this challenge I will stress 1/3 less about money. I’ll do this by realizing 1) I only live once, 2) I don’t have anyone to care for other than myself, and 3) school loans aren’t meant to be paid off in three years. I went through a rough patch of unemployment followed by total underemployment, but now I’m not living paycheck-to-paycheck (but definitely not lavishly) but yet often turn down things because of money worries. For the next two weeks, I will not turn down anything that requires a little spending!

14 Nikki May 11, 2011 at 11:40 am

Hmm…. I am living a pretty stress-free life, but in the next two weeks I’ll be moving to another state + starting a PhD. So my 1/3 less goal is going to be handling the move eloquently and stress-free!

15 Maeve May 11, 2011 at 11:46 am

Wow I need this challenge. I’m studying for the LSAT and preparing to move across the country, so job hunting in NYC. I have a mini freak-out every other week. What helps me is, as cheesy as it sounds, deep breathing. I also try to get perspective…when I’m in a “My life is on fire!” mode I try to remember how fortunate I am, in so many ways. Perspective helps.

16 Tiffany May 11, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I’m currently stressed about employment decisions, I accepted a new job (!) but my current employer is doing everything in their power to keep me, so I’m currently caught between an offer and a potential counter offer. Half of you are probably rolling your eyes that this is stressing me out, because it’s a fortunate place to be, but I’m insanely stressed over making the RIGHT decision (I don’t know yet which one is best) and planning possible changes (I can’t plan my move until I make a decision!).

As for my goals, I am committed to maintaining a positive lens on the situation, and focusing on how fortunate I am to have such great opportunities. I’m also committed to preparing myself for the move regardless, so if that is my decision, I’m not loaded with stress of being so far behind.

17 Hannah May 11, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Ah, this is something I need to work on! I’m a tad neurotic, so I stress out about a lot of little things.
One of the things I think I stress myself out about has to do with time spent on the computer. I spend a good amount of time distracted on it, so when I finally get off I realize there are other things I need to do. I’m going to vow to get off the computer at LEAST a half hour before bed every night so I can get to the books I’ve checked out from the library. It needs to be done!

18 Sarah May 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I LOVE this challenge! Right now, it’s stressing me out that I haven’t had time to work out much – I graduate on Saturday and it’s been far too busy. Add to that the “Oh God I’m not in college anymore what will I do with my life I hope I can find an apartment does this mean I have to be respectable now can I even do that” craziness, and it’s a perfect storm. I’m going to chill the crap out and realize that it’s going to be ok – and that if I gain a little weight this week, it’s OK and I can work extra hard when my life calms down.

19 Margaret May 11, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Money. Or the lack thereof. Money always makes me stressed out. My hubby and I need to change the way we live so that we have more of it, but so far it has only been me trying and then dealing with the fallout from his extra spending. To deal with it, I am going to have yet another talk with him, and see where we can reduce our bills and extra spending by 1/3. If we get a plan in place, I think it will be easier to see where everything is going, thereby reducing the stress on me!!

20 Alicia at Poise in Parma May 11, 2011 at 5:26 pm

My biggest event of the year is this month. I’ve been a hot ball of crazy lady recently because I feel so alone. Instead of wallowing in that anymore, I want to 1) realize I’m not alone, 2) ask for help, 3) remember to breathe and 4) know that I can rock this thing with a calm head on my shoulders.

21 kate May 12, 2011 at 9:25 am

Sounds like perfect timing for lots of us! Lots of things piling up right now that can cause stress for me, budgeting for two income with the man who’s moving in next weekend (tg that’s over), said move, needing to work out and pack for Chicago tonight and spend meaningful time with m’man, having to get up at 5am to get my ass to the train station for Chicago, the prospect of 6 hours on the train next to someone awful (chatty, stinky), oh yeah and there are just 18 days until the Seahorse Sprint Triathlon, and I’m not ready (I found myself saying, omg I’m so out of shape yesterday. What person that’s about to run an fucking triathlon thinks & knows they’re out of shape?!?!?!?!!). So there’s all that.

When I feel stress coming on… I’m think I’m going to get up and take a little stroll. It’s finally nice out and there’s nothing a little sun can’t cure. I also will make more of an effort to keep things tidy because a messy desk/home always adds to my stress. And when all else fails, chocolate and tweeting! More than 1/3 less stress it will be 1/3 less avoidance/embracing of the stress that’s.

22 Frances C. May 12, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Thinking about my weight and weight loss stresses me out. Instead of thinking omg, I need to do this as my job and life depend upon it, I’m just going to take it day by day and one meal at a time. I am going to go hang out with my friends at the bar and not make excuses to get out of going because I am worried about what other people think of my size. Whenever I feel stressed about it, I am going to do something pro-active instead of worrying about it (such as working out or planning the next healthy meal).

23 Mel May 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I tend to get stressed when I have a lot on my plate and a busy week with little “sit-down” time. The stress is amplified because I tend to complain and fret about my busyness to everyone around, even though everyone else is busy and I enjoy all the fun stuff I actually cram in my day! So I’m going to cut down on complaining and building unnecessary things up 1/3 of the time, make an effort to plan more and appreciate each activity on my agenda.

24 ashleigh May 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I am stressed out about my job and a possible new one! I don’t know what to do and I can’t stop worrying about it. I am going to stop by only focusing on work when its work time and not letting it take over my personal life.