Lesson #75: How to Clean Your Fridge Before Vacation

by Rachel on May 12, 2011

Good morning from Charleston, SC! Eric and I left yesterday, and for the past week, we’ve been preparing for the trip by using up as much of the food in our refrigerator as possible.

I mean, who wants to let a perfect pint of strawberries spoil?

Last week I realized that if you have a lot of milk or fruit that needs to be used up before a vacation (or just before it spoils), you should make recipe that uses both.

You should make gelato.

Last weekend, I started with a batch of strawberry to use up the fruit and then moved on to chocolate and pistachio gelato to use up the milk.

It was all so delicious, but, more important, we saved innocent strawberries from growing fur this week.

I think making gelato should be a pre-vacation tradition.

Besides saving the perishables, it also enabled me to give you these recipes to make now so you won’t be quite so jealous when I start telling you about everything we’re eating in Charleston.

1 Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 12, 2011 at 7:49 am

I don’t think there is a better way of using up ingredients than this! LOVE it!

2 angela May 12, 2011 at 8:01 am

Yum! Looks awesome. We have a really great gelato place right by our house so I really hadn’t thought about making my own. May have to try this at some point ;)

3 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 12, 2011 at 8:14 am

That first photo is beautiful!

And you get to look forward to leftover gelato when you get back!

4 Val @ Balancing Val May 12, 2011 at 8:28 am

Last time I had a batch of strawberrys about to grow fur I made strawberry lemonade!

I blended the strawberries in a blender and sifted out all the pulp and seeds.

Then I added some lemon juice and sugar to the strawberry juice along with some water.

Perfect summertime beverage!

Have fun in SC :)

5 Rachel May 12, 2011 at 9:42 am

That sounds delicious!!

6 Christa May 12, 2011 at 8:28 am

I hope you two have a great time! I know you will enjoy everything each city has to offer…just remember to take time to relax…you ARE on vacation after all :)

7 Manon May 12, 2011 at 8:36 am

I think I’ll leave work RIGHT NOW to go buy an ice cream maker….

8 Rachel May 12, 2011 at 9:53 am

DO IT! It’s so worth having. Mine was $30 from Wal-mart.

9 Elizabeth May 12, 2011 at 9:15 am

I usually toss berries with a teaspoon or two of vodka to let them live a few extra days…though that takes them out of the running for breakfast. Gelato sounds just as tasty if I could keep the boyfriend from secretly devouring it.

10 Rachel May 12, 2011 at 9:41 am

It does NOT take them out of the running for breakfast!

Do you think you could use vodka-soaked berries in the gelato??

11 AshinMT May 12, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Hi, im new- loving your blog and laughing my ass off!

Commenting though because, did you know you can freeze milk? If you buy it in the plastic containers (which i dont, but for future reference sake) the indentations on the side are so they can expand when frozen! I work in a WIC office and when moms get too much milk thats what they suggest. It was news to me so i thought it was kind of cool…. Have fun on your trip!

12 AshinMT May 12, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Ps. Gelato sounds way better though.

13 Morgan May 12, 2011 at 9:55 am

Great idea!!

Have an amazing vacation!!

14 Kaley [Y Mucho Más] May 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Ummm, did someone say gelato? Yes. And yes.

I always find it a fun challenge to use up ingredients. I just hope I’m hungry enough to eat it all at the end. If not, I have the vacuum cleaner (aka my living-in-sin partner, Mario).

15 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. May 12, 2011 at 3:30 pm

It should probably be an ALWAYS tradition because OMGYUM gelato. Pistachio is always my go-to flavor. Hope you’re having fun in SC!

16 Wilson May 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Saw this on Reddit today, and I feel like you should give this a shot (and it’s applicable to today’s post) and report back on it: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/stay-cool/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-093414 The comments give some tips of ways to spice it up a little as well.

17 Rachel May 12, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I’ve made it a few times and it’s DELICIOUS! It seriously works as ice cream…perfect for when you’re craving something creamy and cold but want something healthy or (in my case) are too lazy to go to the store for a treat. And a good way to use up old bananas! Just be sure to slice them before you freeze them…makes blending way easier.

18 Natalie May 12, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I might have just licked my computer screen. Oops!

19 Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily May 13, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Gotta to love the pre-vacation meals…always random and most of the time delicious.

20 The Teenage Taste May 14, 2011 at 7:55 am